Hopefully recruitment plans start now onwards

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Hopefully recruitment plans start now onwards

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:19 pm

We deal in a small pool, so lets get players highlighted as from now onwards since we know we are again playing premiership football next season. Its the 13th April so get deals ready and come 1st june get them over the line, into full pre season and hit the ground running. Learn from our mistakes DONT deal with Notts Forest or West Brom, do not waste time making silly low bids for players to set things up for other clubs. Do not wait for unrealistic targets until the last week of transfer window, then realise there not signing, then frantically start random bidding for any old shite.

This season has been a real reality warning and make no mistake next seasons targets are the 3 promoted clubs, Brighton or Cardiff whoever survives then ? not many others - possibly Bournemouth, Southampton, Palace and Newcastle depending on recruitment ability and if Newcastle retain their manager.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Re: Hopefully recruitment plans start now onwards

Post by beddie » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:54 pm

Agree with a lot of the OP. We really do need to have a good upgrade and none of the same old same old. A strong physical forward with pace is a priority(Che Adams) as is a midfielder and a right back.

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Youth, youth and youth. Please don’t waste money on utterly pointless signings like Walters, Crouch, etc
This user liked this post: taio

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:01 pm

27 points from 15 matches suggests there isn't too much wrong with our recruitment.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:02 pm

Spijed wrote:27 points from 15 matches suggests there isn't too much wrong with our recruitment.
What about before new year ?

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:05 pm

Sorry to be a pain... but it's Premier League, not Premiership. Right, now everybody knows that, we can move on with a smile.

Our first task is to keep all of our best players. If we do that I think we only need 2-3 players during the summer.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Bogle
Adams
Bowen
James (in our dreams)

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:07 pm

I think our chance with Adams has been and gone.

I think Leeds will sign Vydra from us.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:16 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I think our chance with Adams has been and gone.

I think Leeds will sign Vydra from us.
Can't see it if they come up

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:15 pm

Overhyping the transfer window will only lead to disappointment.

One thing I've said a million times is we've not got the financial clout to do early deals. Any player/agent worth their salt will wait and see who else comes in rather than take the first offer Burnley makes.
That's why so many deals happen toward or on deadline day, everyone's waiting for everyone else to move and holding out for a better offer .
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

taffy
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by taffy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:03 pm

We should be looking at mooy ( Huddersfield) Stephens ( Brighton) for the midfield and che Adams ( Birmingham) all affordable and keep the squad we have

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:04 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:What about before new year ?
You mean the chopping and changing of the team?

That seems to have been the problem, not the quality of players we have at the club already.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:15 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:Youth, youth and youth. Please don’t waste money on utterly pointless signings like Walters, Crouch, etc
On a contributional basis it’s money spunked, recruiting some promising youngsters would yield more dividends in the long haul in the ever increasing battle to compete.

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:14 pm

I think Leeds will sign Vydra from us.[/quote]

Leeds turned him away before us so it's highly unlikely.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:30 pm

I can’t wait for 3 months of Dale Stephens speculation.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank GodIsADeeJay81

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:39 pm

beddie wrote:Leeds turned him away before us so it's highly unlikely.
Not actually true. I know someone who knows someone very close to Leeds United (Yes, I know how that sounds), but Vydra decided to join us because of Premier League football - which actually does make sense when you mix it with what Vydra has been reported as saying of being disappointed to not playing enough with us in the first team. I think Leeds will come back in for him now they're up and he'll go there. I really hope that doesn't happen because he'll do very very well for them.

Alicanteclaret2
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Alicanteclaret2 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:49 pm

First issue is who leaves the club, finance will remain tight, so space needs to be created for newcomers. Agree unlikely to make early signings because we pay less than apparent going rate. Patience will yet again be a virtue.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:52 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:Youth, youth and youth. Please don’t waste money on utterly pointless signings like Walters, Crouch, etc
We aren't building a team to compete in the Championship you know.

For the 'utterly pointless signings like Walters, Crouch, etc' there are experienced Premier League signings like Cork, Bardsley, Westwood, Lowton etc.

A sh1t load of youth won't keep us in this division.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:26 am

There is no doubt that Walters has helped develop Barnes and he has also talked freely of the conversations he has had with Dwight about making sure whatever he did in possession of the ball had purpose and the importance of getting the ball to the forwards early ans we know how effective Dwight has been
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:37 am

"We deal in a small pool"

THIS is what needs to change. We need to stop shopping in the Championship as much as we possibly can
Last edited by Vegas Claret on Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

buzzclarets79
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by buzzclarets79 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:41 am

We don't need wholesale changes, what we need is just 2, maybe 3 additions of real quality in the right areas, we've got quantity, we just need that quality.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:49 pm

Yep - first things first, it's always going to be tough to improve on a squad which has - despite relatively bad luck with injuries - smashed it out of the park for three half seasons out of four in the past two years, and which has never been seriously embroiled in a relegation scrap in the final few games of the season during 3 seasons at this level.

Given that track record, the obvious priority is not to lose any of our key players- Tarks, McNeil, even Wood - but also, actually, to keep the likes of Brady, Hendrick and JBG who are key to giving us a squad with depth and options. After that, it's about selectively adding players who can be regular first teamers in 2-3 positions and adding a bit of depth and youth in a couple of areas. It definitely isn't major surgery

If we can move Defour out and bring in a midfielder capable of competing seriously with Cork and Westwood to be first choice and add a real starting contender out wide or up front, then that's probably our front line business done, although it looks as though a youthful option at right back and perhaps a replacement for Crouch should he retire might also be on the wishlist.

But what we need is quality, not quantity this summer. I'd imagine the first starting eleven of next season will only include one, perhaps two new faces at most.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:20 pm

Agree we dont need an abundance of new faces in the starting XI - but we also can't afford to 'go again' with the same XI we have essentially had for two seasons now either.

If the likes of Ward, Crouch and Bardsley leave, they will need replacing and that won't be cheap.

Then there are the likes of Walters who has retired, Wells who we could do to wheel and deal with (eg player + cash deal) and Vydra who could also potentially move on too.

It might be a bigger summer than we'd have hoped but it was always going to happen soon due the age of some of the players probably moving on.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:32 pm

Spijed wrote:27 points from 15 matches suggests there isn't too much wrong with our recruitment.

OMG started already. If we don't strengthen our midfield this time we arw barmy.

We don't have a cm sub to bring on.
This user liked this post: ZizkovClaret

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Didn't the accounts for the last financial year show that we need to sell players in order to fund the squad? We made a good profit, but only because we sold Keane and Gray. Unless I've interpreted it wrongly.

I can't see us spending big, and I can't see anything changing in the way we do business, but I'm just hoping for two or three young players in the mould of Taylor and McNeil. Our squad has enough PL experience now having been together for 3 years

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:35 pm

claretspice wrote: and perhaps a replacement for Crouch should he retire might also be on the wishlist.
Jakubs Tash wrote: If the likes of ….. Crouch and ….. leave, they will need replacing and that won't be cheap.
I thought we'd only signed Peter Crouch to the end of the season. Did I get this wrong?

I'd have thought we were planning a replacement for Sam Vokes from the minute we transferred him out - with expectation that we would get his replacement in in the summer window. So Crouchie was a "stop gap" until his appendix needed sorting, but no big impact on finances either way.

UTC

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:42 pm

Depending on how many points we finish with, but we are going to finish with quite a lot less than last year.

The improvement since Xmas has been startling, but I still think this summer is where we realise that the age and mentality of the squad perhaps needs a refresh.

What that involves and how feasible that is of course depends on just how crazy transfer prices go this summer (only will go up I fear) but we have to think about the future and the current squad.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:58 pm

we all no where the holes are its what grade we fill them with and 3 players could do the trick we need to work fast and early get them into a full preseason
then if we can find a little more stretch would like the full back positions to blood youth up and coming they dont after be match starters or bench warmers

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:59 pm

ksrclaret wrote:I can't see us spending big, and I can't see anything changing in the way we do business
Agree with this.
ksrclaret wrote:I'm just hoping for two or three young players in the mould of Taylor and McNeil. Our squad has enough PL experience now having been together for 3 years
Not sure this statement is compatible with you're first one.
If we want another McNeil we'll have to do the same, work them up through the academy and development squad. By now McNeil will likely be worth more than we could afford to buy (£20million plus). We didn't want to pay that much for 22 year old Che.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Depending on how many points we finish with, but we are going to finish with quite a lot less than last year.

The improvement since Xmas has been startling, but I still think this summer is where we realise that the age and mentality of the squad perhaps needs a refresh.

What that involves and how feasible that is of course depends on just how crazy transfer prices go this summer (only will go up I fear) but we have to think about the future and the current squad.
That's more about last season being exceptional than this season being under-par though. Taken in the round, and in isolation from last season, this has been another successful season when we probably get 40 point and have ultimately achieved safety well before the end of the season. It's hard to ever expect more than that, and of course it's been underpinned by an exceptional second half of the season which underlines the quality of the players we have.

No-one should be complacent, of course, and I think we would all like to see at least a couple of front line acquisitions this summer, plus a bit of youth added to the supporting cast. But realistically, when you work through our starting eleven, there's no-one (apart from possibly Bardsley) who wouldn't expect to be at the heart of our plans for next season.

For me, the priorities are a central midfielder who can genuinely compete with Cork and Westwood to start regularly, a striker or wide player,, and a right back with a bit of pace. After that, you can make a case for another forward/wide player and perhaps another left back if Ward leaves, but I'm not sure they're essentials. This is very much about evolving things rather than dramatic change, which is something we've done really well through the Dyche years.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret