Dermot Gallagher exonerates us in all pen claims!!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LordBob
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Dermot Gallagher exonerates us in all pen claims!!

Post by LordBob » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:36 pm

Talk Sport tonight The Cundy and Goldstein thing Dermot O Query backed Dean on both alleged handballs and suggested the Charlie Taylor incident was as much Gunnarsson as Taylor. I can sleep peacefully now. UTC
These 2 users liked this post: buzzclarets79 Bosscat

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Re: Dermot Gallagher exonerates us in all pen claims!!

Post by Bosscat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:42 pm

LordBob wrote:Talk Sport tonight The Cundy and Goldstein thing Dermot O Query backed Dean on both alleged handballs and suggested the Charlie Taylor incident was as much Gunnarsson as Taylor. I can sleep peacefully now. UTC
Saw Gallagher was on "Ask the Ref" on Sky Sports today but missed that bit ... Bah Humbug...

Cheers m8

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:58 pm

He also said our first goal was offside....

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:04 am

Hibsclaret wrote:He also said our first goal was offside....
I'd find it hard to say he was wrong. It seems strange that of all the "controversial decisions", that's the one that isn't getting the publicity.

What a shame. :lol:

LordBob

Post by LordBob » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:18 am

Imagine last Saturday's game was in April next year with VAR in operation .... What would the score have been ?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:39 am

Why offside?

My recollection was that Wood ran across a line of defenders and headed home.

LordBob

Post by LordBob » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:44 am

IanMcL wrote:Why offside?

My recollection was that Wood ran across a line of defenders and headed home.
No Woody wasn't offside think he was suggesting somebody else's big toe was in the wrong place.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:52 am

Barnes was in an offside position in the area of/ around the keeper just depends if you judge him to be in play or not.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:53 am

So that is pointless then, as it was a corner and everyone else were not involved directly in the header?

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1746 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:57 am

If you played it in slow motion frame by frame - one could argue Barnes is offside and interfering because he’s stood near the goalkeeper.

However play it at normal speed, the goalkeepers only concern is the ball being crossed in with Wood heading it in. The cleanest corner routine you’ll ever see.

Once the ball makes contact with Woods head, the goalkeeper isn’t concerned about anyone else - his only focus is one the falling flying past him. By the time he reacted the ball was hitting the back of the net anyway

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:13 am

LordBob wrote:Imagine last Saturday's game was in April next year with VAR in operation .... What would the score have been ?
4 -1 we take our chances better.
These 2 users liked this post: Corky Bosscat

Bobzuruncle
Been Liked: 44 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by Bobzuruncle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 am

Dermot’s point was that he was offside and blocking the goalie’s reaction to the header - he didn’t make a fuss but said that he would have ruled it out.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1746 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:25 am

Bobzuruncle wrote:Dermot’s point was that he was offside and blocking the goalie’s reaction to the header - he didn’t make a fuss but said that he would have ruled it out.
I don't think he would’ve done in real-time while on the pitch. It’s a split second between the ball leaving Wood’s head and crossing the line.

If he had ruled it out, everybody would be confused as to why he disallowed the goal.

I don’t even think VAR would rule it out.

Bobzuruncle
Been Liked: 44 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by Bobzuruncle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:33 am

I didn’t realise at all until he pointed it out. Hard to tell if he’d have spotted it real time

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:09 am

claptrappers_union wrote:I don't think he would’ve done in real-time while on the pitch. It’s a split second between the ball leaving Wood’s head and crossing the line.

If he had ruled it out, everybody would be confused as to why he disallowed the goal.

I don’t even think VAR would rule it out.
I agree that, in the spirit of the game and with it being a corner, it would be a harsh decision to give offside. Had it been a shot from the edge of the box, with Barnes in that position, then serious consideration would have to be given to an offside decision.

My fear is that VAR will actually rule this goal out. This is another reason that I think that VAR will not be good for the game and will also cause more confusion amongst officials and fans because this sort of goal is scored in games at all levels every weekend.

They changed the offside law so that the player has to be going for the ball, however, the have the anomaly that, in a case like this, the player is not actually going for the ball but is in the vision of the keeper ----even from a header at a corner kick? ---all down to interpretation but..........

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:15 am

This is exactly why VAR is going to add a whole load of more confusion.

Would our goal have been referred to VAR in the first place? If it was then if you have Dermot at Stockley Park it gets disallowed? No doubt other VAR officials may see it differently...Also, you have to feel sorry for the lino on that one. How on earth could he see Barnes’ proximity to the goalie with all those players in the box at a corner, in order to judge him impeding the keeper. Even Colin wasn’t moaning about our goal and yet Dermot has it as definitely should be disallowed.

There will be lots of issues next season. I saw an Italian game the other week where they went to VAR in the 93rd minute for a penalty decision (last minute of the 3 added). The pen was given (possibly incorrectly) and it was actually taken in the 103rd minute....

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:04 pm

People think VAR will even it all up- not a chance, just wait for the top 6 to get even more going their way.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:38 pm

The VAR ruling out our goal is a worrying one. If I was reviewing it, I'd work out that Barnes was offside and in the line of the goalkeeper. HOWEVER the trajectory of the ball from Woods head should be taken into account, as there is NO chance he would have saved it if Barnes was there or if he wasn't. So for me I'd still have allowed the goal.

If the ball went close to the keeper and Barnes put him off, then yes it's offside.

I really worry about VAR next season. Idiots like Ian Wright saying the handball was a pen as the shot was goal-bound etc ...so what? Mee couldn't have got his hands out of the way at that speed.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:48 pm

If we had VAR would the match official not be making the final decision after the VAR officials had highlighted the position of Barnes to him?
Definitely offside as Barnes is definitely interfering with the keepers vision of Wood. Definitely, but open to interpretation. Some would allow the goal to stand, some would disallow.

Just as I would say definitely not ‘deliberate handball’ but some would disagree.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:53 pm

Ric_C wrote:I really worry about VAR next season. Idiots like Ian Wright saying the handball was a pen as the shot was goal-bound etc ...so what? Mee couldn't have got his hands out of the way at that speed.
The handball law changes next season to, I think, natural body position so VAR would not call it handball. Either time