the vultures are circling already

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Re: the vultures are circling already

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:17 am

We always let our players go on the cheap side little club mentally
This is the biggest thing to come out of Burnley FC in decades
I value him at 50 million and not a percentage lower this guy is going to be big business
And i tell you
You just know when you see a young en play with so much confidence and ability at such a young age he a rare gem mark my words
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:23 am

50 mill minimum

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:28 am

Another quick thought, Jack Cork, James Tarkowski, Michael Keane and Tom Heaton have already been capped by England playing at Turf Moor, so being a Burnley player is no barrier to International honours, as it may have been in the past ....

Surely, his talent would be showcased more playing for us week in, week out, than getting League Cup games & the odd 20 minutes here and there playing at Chelsea or Manchester City .. and I suspect his father and advisors know this .. ;)

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:41 am

Rick_Muller wrote:Its a similar argument for when Dyche was being touted to leave us for a "bigger" club. The question is - Are they bigger now? with the TV money levelling the playing field for the "Other 14" I'm not sure that those clubs mentioned are "bigger" clubs anymore. There are arguments that those clubs are bigger, but we can offer something others just cant seem to - having Dyche as a manager; a great team spirit; better prospects of playing for England - none of the bigger clubs appear to have those unique selling points (especially Dyche ;) ) and for an upcoming star of the game (unless he's really daft and just wants more money instead) that would be a deciding factor.
Agree with much of this. However there is no doubt I think about Sheff United and Leeds being bigger than us in every way apart from maybe immediate cash and even that is debatable given our 'money in the bank' as discussed recently. I agree I think he would be foolish to move at this point because anything other than a big 6 move would be more like a sideways movement (other than maybe Everton or Wolves) and if he went to a big 6 club he would probably not get the game time because, as good as he as been for us this season, he is a big fish in a small pond and there are far better players out there just now.

For his own good I think he needs to stay with us because barring a major change of form for about 3 or 4 clubs (us included) he will be playing PL football next season.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:46 am

is he much better than Joy Rod was at his age.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:49 am

Doesn't surprise me at all that the "vultures are circling'. DMc is going to be the real deal. A good point in our favour is the lad seems to have his head screwed on and appears mature beyond his age. SD will also help keep him grounded. I cannot see any reason why he would want to go anywhere anytime soon. The lad has known hurt, being released by United at a young impressionable age. We have helped and are still helping him with his development. Football is littered with young lads who get picked up by the big boys only to find themselves either bench warming or disappearing off the radar altogether.
These 2 users liked this post: Cubanclaret Buxtonclaret

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:54 am

Wasn't Jay Rod playing for Stirling Albion at this age?

Dwight seems like a grounded lad, it feels like it has happened so quickly for him, but he's already had the let-down of being released (by Man United at 14), and Burnley have developed him since then.

Surely that is worth something. The Club deserve credit for presenting him the new contract when they did, I have absolute faith that he'll not want to leave this summer. Clubs can court him but you wouldn't think he'd done quite enough yet to be attracting huge bids.

Let's just hope there's no greedy agent involved.

EDIT: Indeed Ashton, we posted simultaneously !
Last edited by Cubanclaret on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:55 am

Longside4evr wrote:We always let our players go on the cheap side little club mentally
Examples? I don't remember many.
Last edited by dsr on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:55 am

McNeil has a knack of getting a yard and getting a ball in, which in turn makes a Wood look a much better player because he is a bit Payton like at sniffing out chances. Personally I think Wood and a quicker player like a Vydra would do even better feeding off McNeil.

Let us not underestimate though that defenders will find a way to stop him next season once the club analysts research him in more detail, and he will have to learn how to beat them all over again. His biggest weakness is his lack of right foot. Brady has scored some belters with his right foot and his left so defenders don’t know which way to send him - it is hard to see Dwight doing that currently.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am

pushpinpussy wrote:is he much better than Joy Rod was at his age.
Joy Rod? Make sure you use water-based lube.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:59 am

In matters like this I always think certain managers are better than others. With the system SD has implented at Barnfield with all players under 1 roof will help. The way when McNeill first hit the scene and SD mentioned how it wasnt just a big occasion for Dwight but for his parents as well tells me he has a good relationship with the parents. I know a lot of money will be waved at them but I think when managers have relationships with parents like Sir Alex did at UTD and obvs Dyche has with Dwights, that any advise he gives them they will know that he has only Dwights best interests at heart.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:59 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:McNeil has a knack of getting a yard and getting a ball in, which in turn makes a Wood look a much better player because he is a bit Payton like at sniffing out chances. Personally I think Wood and a quicker player like a Vydra would do even better feeding off McNeil.

Let us not underestimate though that defenders will find a way to stop him next season once the club analysts research him in more detail, and he will have to learn how to beat them all over again. His biggest weakness is his lack of right foot. Brady has scored some belters with his right foot and his left so defenders don’t know which way to send him - it is hard to see Dwight doing that currently.

True, he is totally one-footed - mind you I don't remember David Beckham doing much with his left.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:00 pm

Different level to what Jay Rod was at this age. Dwight has just trained with the full England squad whilst Jay Rod was at Stirling up in a mickey mouse league

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 714 times
Has Liked: 1998 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:03 pm

Take the claret specs off and he's a £30 million player at best. We don't need to sell and he will be more valuable to us than somewhere else.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:05 pm

Burnley fans can't wait to sell a player.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:10 pm

Pope and Hart going as well as the players leaving because contracts have run out should be enough to allow us to bring in a few players spending a reasonable amount and still allowing for us to operate on a similar level to what we have these last few years. Dont think anyone else will leave bar a ridiculous amount (40m plus) for Tarks. McNeils value is nowhere near to what it will be in 12 months if his progression carries on.

Indecisive
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:10 pm

I’d say significantly.

He has looked absolutely at ease against the best in the Premier League.

Indecisive
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:18 pm

Will be interesting to see how he does in these last few games against the big boys, particularly now there’s maybe a bit more freedom and slightly less pressure (not that he seems to have a problem dealing with a bit of pressure).

I think he will probably put a lot of value on the amount of premier league minutes he’s going to get next season with us, versus the uncertainty of game time with a ‘big’ club.

If he continues on the current trajectory I think we may well have to settle for another season and an astronomical fee.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:24 pm

Hudson Odoi rated at £35m

Dwight has played more, scored more, created more
- in fact more than any other teenager in Europe - gotta be £45m+ at the moment

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:28 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:In matters like this I always think certain managers are better than others. With the system SD has implented at Barnfield with all players under 1 roof will help. The way when McNeill first hit the scene and SD mentioned how it wasnt just a big occasion for Dwight but for his parents as well tells me he has a good relationship with the parents. I know a lot of money will be waved at them but I think when managers have relationships with parents like Sir Alex did at UTD and obvs Dyche has with Dwights, that any advise he gives them they will know that he has only Dwights best interests at heart.
I wouldn’t worry about him being one footed. There has been many a player one footed. During eras when full backs could actually defend.

Wait until City are in town. Kyle Walker will be a bundle of knots he’d be turned inside out that much by Dwight,

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:30 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:This could be the first time in our history we have a class act and are not in the position of having to sell.
I could have cried seeing Willie Morgan, Ralph Coates, Martin Dobson, Taffy James, Micky Phelan and Trevor Steven all sold for way below their true value.
Dwight will want to play at the highest level and good luck to him but if he has a decent agent they’ll be telling him to learn his trade at Burnley. Playing at PL level can only improve him, to his and our benefit.
His agent is David Eyres.
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Scary thing about this thread is how ignorant people are about the financial power behind other clubs. Pretty sure there's only us and Watford in the Premier League that aren't backed by some seriously wealthy owners. Leeds and Sheffield United also have serious backing, though fortunately Sheffield United not to the levels of many Premier League clubs and Norwich are more like us. Without taking the thread off at a tangent, this is why the board get so much unfair stick. When we make financial decisions we always have to ask, "what happens if we get relegated" where as other clubs don't need to care about that because their backers can sustain the wages without Premier League income. This is why many mid-table clubs have wage bills 50% bigger than ours which would be more like 100% if we hadn't paid out such big bonuses in 2017.

So not trying to divert from the topic, what I've put above is why we can't match many of our rivals for wages and if a club like Leicester seriously wanted McNeil the best we could do is hold out for an extortionate transfer fee.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Non-story tbh. Every player with a goal or more is being “watched”. Can see us getting one more full season of him before someone makes their move. Will be v surprised if we receive a serious offer this summer.
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:57 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:Scary thing about this thread is how ignorant people are about the financial power behind other clubs. Pretty sure there's only us and Watford in the Premier League that aren't backed by some seriously wealthy owners. Leeds and Sheffield United also have serious backing, though fortunately Sheffield United not to the levels of many Premier League clubs and Norwich are more like us. Without taking the thread off at a tangent, this is why the board get so much unfair stick. When we make financial decisions we always have to ask, "what happens if we get relegated" where as other clubs don't need to care about that because their backers can sustain the wages without Premier League income. This is why many mid-table clubs have wage bills 50% bigger than ours which would be more like 100% if we hadn't paid out such big bonuses in 2017.

So not trying to divert from the topic, what I've put above is why we can't match many of our rivals for wages and if a club like Leicester seriously wanted McNeil the best we could do is hold out for an extortionate transfer fee.
With so many of us being ignorant and all that enlighten us about the financial backers behind Leeds and Sheffield United and why both teams have spent so little in the last few transfer windows despite the fact that both teams have sold players to the value of over £25m for Leeds and over £10m for Sheff United

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:04 pm

Well for a start there's FFP in the Championship, but I'm sure you're aware of that.

Andrea Radrizzani owns Leeds and is worth an estimated $550m.

Sheffield United are owned by a guy called Abdullah bin Musa'ed. I actually got wrong that they aren't that loaded. He's actually estimated to be worth £18bn.

Most owners in the Premier League are worth billions, whereas our guys are worth in the 10's millions.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:27 pm

I am aware of FFP but that does not explain spending so little on transfers compared to other teams - and not even spending the money they have both received from player sales
....plus why would they be in the slightest bothered about FFP if they are prepared to put as much into the clubs as you say ? They’d just pay the fines surely ?
Are you saying that Leeds and Sheff United budgets / spend are anywhere near FFP rules ?

Why did Leeds pull out of the deal for Vydra less than a year ago when we came in for him ? Wasn’t he about to sign for them and he’d already had a medical ?

Sheff United and Leeds wage bill must be around £25% of ours and they are both nowhere near the top payers in the Championship yet how many of those teams with higher wage bills than them are breaching FFP ?

To say we can’t compete with a club like Sheff United is just a bit ridiculous IMHO.

GodIsADeeJay81
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:15 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:Scary thing about this thread is how ignorant people are about the financial power behind other clubs. Pretty sure there's only us and Watford in the Premier League that aren't backed by some seriously wealthy owners. Leeds and Sheffield United also have serious backing, though fortunately Sheffield United not to the levels of many Premier League clubs and Norwich are more like us. Without taking the thread off at a tangent, this is why the board get so much unfair stick. When we make financial decisions we always have to ask, "what happens if we get relegated" where as other clubs don't need to care about that because their backers can sustain the wages without Premier League income. This is why many mid-table clubs have wage bills 50% bigger than ours which would be more like 100% if we hadn't paid out such big bonuses in 2017.

Watford are owned by the Pozzo family, who also own Udinese and sold Grenada FC in the last couple of years.

I don't think they're billionaires but they aren't poor.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:20 pm

the fact he signed the new long term deal tells me he has sensible people around him and understands this is just the beginning for him. Enjoy him whilst we can because at some stage he will go for an insane mount of money (a lot more than the laughable quoted 30 million)

GodIsADeeJay81
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:21 pm

TVC15 wrote:With so many of us being ignorant and all that enlighten us about the financial backers behind Leeds and Sheffield United and why both teams have spent so little in the last few transfer windows despite the fact that both teams have sold players to the value of over £25m for Leeds and over £10m for Sheff United
Sheff utd finances explained.
https://mobile.twitter.com/kieranmaguir ... 7728328704" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leeds finances explained.
https://mobile.twitter.com/SwissRamble/ ... 6568584192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:24 pm

Someone does well. A newspaper mentions it. Folk name their price to get rid.

We sign a loan player (not lately), who plays a couple if games but does nothing in particular. Sign him on!

Barmy on both counts.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:25 pm

Pozzo's not poor but in the bottom 3 of the Premier League with Huddersfield and Burnley (Garlick worth a lot lot less than everyone else)

also if current investigations into Southampton prove Chinese onshore control then they have the richest owners in the world bar none - see post #821 http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... &start=800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:40 pm

TVC - I haven't said we can't compete with Sheffield United, and it's odd that you say that. Did you learn how to debate on the internet? It's difficult to compare wages because of the high bonuses that we paid last season, but Leeds were closer to 50% despite our bonuses and much bigger income. You see, I'm dealing in facts here where you're dealing in guess work. It's a bit like Fulham last season, once they came up they were prepared to gamble and pay huge transfer fees and wages. Whether Leeds and Sheffield United would be prepared to bet the ranch if they came up is an unknown, but it's well known that we're prudent and have to live within our means.

I was comparing us to our rivals in the Premier League and only mentioned the 3 championship clubs because they're the most likely to get promoted and others had mentioned them. Looking purely at the Premier League only Huddersfield and Brighton had a wage bill lower than ours (Newcastle haven't released 17/18 figures yet, but their championship wage bill in 2016/17 was only £2m less than ours in 17/18 when we paid huge bonuses). Even Brighton had a wage bill only slightly less than ours, and whilst I'm sure they paid bonuses I doubt anywhere near the level of ours. Leicester (£119m), Southampton (£113m) and Everton (£145m) just as examples all paid wages Burnley can only dream about.

That's the point, we can't afford to match the wages those types of clubs would be prepared to pay for a player of McNeil's quality. We just need to hope we can keep him happy with wages we're giving him and the chance to develop.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:49 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Sheff utd finances explained.
https://mobile.twitter.com/kieranmaguir ... 7728328704" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leeds finances explained.
https://mobile.twitter.com/SwissRamble/ ... 6568584192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy.
Cheers - i’d seen the Sheff United one recently. Leeds is interesting - obviously a massive club who if they do go up and stay up have the potential to generate much more commercial / non TV income that we ever could.
Whether their owner is prepared to throw the amount of money at the team that the likes of Wolves and Fulham have done is another matter - he doesn’t seem to have done so far in the Championship...but looks like he picked the right manager which as Burnley know can be just as important as spending loads of cash on the team
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm

dsr wrote:Examples? I don't remember many.
From my post 43. “I could have cried seeing Willie Morgan, Ralph Coates, Martin Dobson, Taffy James, Micky Phelan and Trevor Steven all sold for way below their true value.“
To them you can add JRod & Charlie Austin.
This user liked this post: Longside4evr

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Has anyone noticed that three of the clubs to be interested we have to play sometimes these things are a ploy to unsettle a player
But Burnley players are used to this sort of thing and so is our manager. We are now in a very strong position that we have never been in before and dont need to sell to balance the books
We certainly need to spend this coming window and probably will smash our current record transfer fee a couple of times.
Can we evade the top six offers as we are certain to get interest on this promising starlight.
Or would the pressure be to much with a big offers and the club sell to add money to further strengthen.
We are renowned for being a selling club, i hope we can keep hold of one of the biggest prospects that we have ever possessed and produced, we dont want to weaken the team and be negative we need to strengthen on what we've got move forward.
I really believe that the stuttering start we had in the first part of the season for what ever reason it was wasn't us its strange when you look at the points haul in second half, we are a top half team
Keep the vultures at bay be cunning sign some quality and bring it on

Dike Muff
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Post by Dike Muff » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:13 pm

I’m not sure that I’m satisfied with the Vulture Analogy of the OP. Barring a staggering run of results, we’re safe this season. We’re not a dying entity being shadowed by carrion eaters.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Foshiznik wrote:Take the claret specs off and he's a £30 million player at best. We don't need to sell and he will be more valuable to us than somewhere else.
You think like the club used to sell our players
1( 19 years old regular premier league player
2) skill left footed excellent crosser of the ball can skin his man can cut inside and leave is man decked
3( Trained with full England Squad and played at under 23 international level
4 ) Big potential to break into the full England team before hes 20 and will play in the next tournament
5) scores goals in the strongest league in the world and assists and brings others into play with ease
Your well off the mark with your valuation and your offer as been thrown out as derisory

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:26 pm

dsr wrote:Examples? I don't remember many.
Laws
Dixon
could help with Ings but should have wrapped up his contract well before
Same with Trippier buy out clause was wrong
Will that do yer

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:41 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Laws
Dixon
Will that do yer
No. When Trippier signed his contract with the £3.5m fee, that was above his market value; if he hadn't signed, we'd have got less money and had a year less play out of him.

Ings didn't want to sign a new contract. He couldn't be made to.

Laws and Dixon - you might have a point there. Perhaps we ought to get rid of the directors and management from 1983 and appoint some new ones. Oh, we have? Excellent. Problem solved.
These 2 users liked this post: fidelcastro Goobs

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Unless a big club asks the question "how much do you want for him" I don't think you can put a value on him. If he has another good season with us then perhaps that might change. At the end of the day his value Is only what someone (club) will pay.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:54 pm

I'm all for injecting reality into debates about our financial status relative to even Championship rivals, but two points of balance here:

1. Just because clubs have rich owners, it doesn't mean that they'll see them right on relegation, or that they intend to. There are plenty of examples of this down the years. Many of these owners have absolutely no intention of putting their money into the club to subsidise it. So simply comparing net wealth of owners is not a terribly good guide to the clout of a club or their ability to ride out relegation.

2. I'm not sure any of this is especially relevant to the future this summer of McNeil. The reason the wealth of our owners limits our clout is because it limits the size of the wage bill we can carry. Whether or not we sell McNeil this summer won't materially affect our wage bill. We certainly don't need to sell him right now for the cash, because we're making substantial cash profits as it is. Of course, should McNeil suddenly demand a further pay rise to a salary we can't possibly meet, then there may be a very different conversation to be had, just as if he turns round and demands to leave - but that's a completely different scenario and we aren't close to it yet.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Laws
Dixon
Will that do yer
Dixon went on to play for Chest, Bury & Stoke before ending up at Arsenal.

Suggests he wasn't very good at the time he left if he played for Bury and Chester.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Spijed wrote:Dixon went on to play for Chest, Bury & Stoke before ending up at Arsenal.

Suggests he wasn't very good at the time he left if he played for Bury and Chester.
I believe he has said as much himself

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:48 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:TVC - I haven't said we can't compete with Sheffield United, and it's odd that you say that. Did you learn how to debate on the internet? It's difficult to compare wages because of the high bonuses that we paid last season, but Leeds were closer to 50% despite our bonuses and much bigger income. You see, I'm dealing in facts here where you're dealing in guess work. It's a bit like Fulham last season, once they came up they were prepared to gamble and pay huge transfer fees and wages. Whether Leeds and Sheffield United would be prepared to bet the ranch if they came up is an unknown, but it's well known that we're prudent and have to live within our means.

I was comparing us to our rivals in the Premier League and only mentioned the 3 championship clubs because they're the most likely to get promoted and others had mentioned them. Looking purely at the Premier League only Huddersfield and Brighton had a wage bill lower than ours (Newcastle haven't released 17/18 figures yet, but their championship wage bill in 2016/17 was only £2m less than ours in 17/18 when we paid huge bonuses). Even Brighton had a wage bill only slightly less than ours, and whilst I'm sure they paid bonuses I doubt anywhere near the level of ours. Leicester (£119m), Southampton (£113m) and Everton (£145m) just as examples all paid wages Burnley can only dream about.

That's the point, we can't afford to match the wages those types of clubs would be prepared to pay for a player of McNeil's quality. We just need to hope we can keep him happy with wages we're giving him and the chance to develop.
I’ll ignore your childish comment on debating.
But as you say you are dealing in facts why would you say “nearer to 50%” describing their wage bill when it’s nearer to 37% ?
Bonuses are part of our wage structure - have been for years. We don’t know the terms relating to those bonuses - fact is they are part of our wage bill.

We can’t compete with the likes of Leicester, Everton etc I agree but we have been able to compete against many clubs in recent years that have historically been “bigger than us”.....we took Wood and Taylor from Leeds and stopped them signing Vydra.

In terms of Sheff United it was you who mentioned them and Leeds in a post about Burnley not being able to compete financially with a number of other teams - and then referenced the wealth of their owners. As pointed out having rich owners doesn’t mean they will invest in their respective teams and neither Leeds or Sheff Utd owners have done so far.

Yes we are “prudent” but only compared to many other clubs in this league - it wasn’t that long ago fans were talking about our rigid wage structure and a cap of £15k a week for individual players....now we have players on £50k a week....and a total wage bill I am sure lots of fans thought we would never see.

We have another year secured in this league - and we continue to grow stronger financially. This summer will be interesting as i’m sure Dyche does not want another year like this season or transfer windows like the last 2 or 3.

Getting back to McNeil I don’t think we would sell him next season unless the player demands a move.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:12 pm

dsr wrote:No. When Trippier signed his contract with the £3.5m fee, that was above his market value; if he hadn't signed, we'd have got less money and had a year less play out of him.

Ings didn't want to sign a new contract. He couldn't be made to.

Laws and Dixon - you might have a point there. Perhaps we ought to get rid of the directors and management from 1983 and appoint some new ones. Oh, we have? Excellent. Problem solved.
Not going to argue with you but that's absolute bullshit

holdyourfire
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by holdyourfire » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:43 pm

Chester Perry wrote:Given his performances I expect Dwight to be offered another deal/wage rise in the summer - It is the Burnley way under Dyche - they will move him up the earning tiers (without necessarily extending the length of contract) to keep the collective approach to earnings proportionate to team contribution which has made for happy squad who believe they are all treated fairly earnings wise compared to teammates.

As for us matching the salaries of others in the group of 14 - forget it - last year we were the 3rd lowest payers (£20m increase on previous year) with what I believe were very substantial amount of bonuses. I expect this years wage bill not to be much more - less Premier League bonus but extra payments as a result of the Europa qualifiers, plus new faces. Leicester, Everton, West Ham, Wolves, Watford, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, even Fulham, probably Newcastle, possibly Southampton all pay key players over £100k a week - we don't come close. And all those have and will pay much more in transfer and agents fees than we would. If Brighton survive I would expect them to as well after the slow gain of last summers transfer window where they deliberately spent a fortune on players not ready for the first team expecting what they had to be enough.
Have a look on SPOTRAC.COM not saying its for real,but worth a peep.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Not going to argue with you but that's absolute bullshit
Which bit is ? The Tripps and Ings situation look spot on to me and both as I understood and how have been well reported.
Dyche has spoken about the contract situation with Tripps and that he was ready to leave for nothing and out of contract but agreed to stay on for another year on the condition the buy out clause was included - so we ended up with an extra £3.5m and a year of enjoying Tripps as a result.
Ings clearly knew he was going to Liverpool - that was already negotiated and he let his contract run down.

We still made around £10m profit on both of them but more importantly they were integral to promotion and we got to see 2 of the best Burnley players ever in the last 40 years....result !

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:05 pm

The contract could and should have been well before they tried to negotiate we knew we had good players 1 year into there contracts we could have tied them both down in a 5 year deal or a 4 year deal well before ok it would have cost and been a risk but BFC dont do risks as we well know
And as for him mentioning the 80s era i wasn't just reverting to the present like he portrayed i am talking decades
Like when we let Trevor Steven leave to Everton 300,000 derisory but at the time we were in decline and relegated eventually so snapped their hands of for what we knew would be an English International

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:11 pm

Longside4evr wrote:The contract could and should have been well before they tried to negotiate we knew we had good players 1 year into there contracts we could have tied them both down in a 5 year deal or a 4 year deal well before ok it would have cost and been a risk but BFC dont do risks as we well know
And as for him mentioning the 80s era i wasn't just reverting to the present like he portrayed i am talking decades
Like when we let Trevor Steven leave to Everton 300,000 derisory but at the time we were in decline and relegated eventually so snapped their hands of for what we knew would be an English International
You've got a nerve mentioning bullsh1t!

:roll:

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:15 pm

Yep but you mentioned Dixon who was crap which makes your argument pointless.
As for £300k for Trevor Steven being a derisory amount it just goes to prove how little you know. He was 19 year old and only 3 or 4 years before he left Burnley Trevor Francis had just become the first English £1m player and he had was significantly more experienced than Trevor Steven.

Your comments on Ings and Tripps are just naive - and you seem to forget that the power is all in the players hands. Why would either sign a long term contract with a club who at the time have a wage cap of £15k a week ?
This user liked this post: fidelcastro