A very good reason...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

A very good reason...

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:40 pm

for not spending money at this employer and one's like them.

Asda has been accused of planning to cut the pay of 3,000 supermarket staff, under proposed changes to employee contracts that will end paid breaks. The supermarket confirmed last week that consultations were taking place to simplify terms for hourly paid workers and increase the basic rate of pay to £9 per hour. Siobhain McDonagh, the MP for Mitcham and Morden, has claimed in a letter to Asda's chief executive, that staff involved in the process were likely to be up to £500 worse off a year.

Lower and low pay and conditions has and is very bad for our economy, avoid using Asda and other employers with similar tactics seems only reasonable.
This user liked this post: Vintage Claret

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: A very good reason...

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:48 pm

I blame the 1975 EU referendum result.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:51 pm

If everyone stopped buying from Asda there would be no wages at all for their employees.
These 2 users liked this post: Jel Spike

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4159 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:58 pm

Good thinking, lets get all the staff on the dole after a boycott of the store.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:00 pm

Screenshot_20190417-125832.png
Screenshot_20190417-125832.png (173.36 KiB) Viewed 5482 times
From the government site, it's optional for employers to pay for breaks and optional for employees to sign a contract either way for paid breaks.

I'm not saying Asda are right in this instance, revoking something they've been doing for a while is a bit underhand, but they won't be the only company not paying for breaks.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Some stuff at asda is ok, some of it is rubbish. The problem I have with them, is that you don't know what they're going to charge for something from one week to the next. Their prices change so regular. Even sainsburys I've noticed recently are becoming just as competitive price wise, but with a much more pleasant shopping experience.
Still prefer Aldi and B&M then the others when I can't get what I want from there.
This user liked this post: LordBob

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:21 pm

South West Claret. wrote:for not spending money at this employer and one's like them.

Asda has been accused of planning to cut the pay of 3,000 supermarket staff, under proposed changes to employee contracts that will end paid breaks. The supermarket confirmed last week that consultations were taking place to simplify terms for hourly paid workers and increase the basic rate of pay to £9 per hour. Siobhain McDonagh, the MP for Mitcham and Morden, has claimed in a letter to Asda's chief executive, that staff involved in the process were likely to be up to £500 worse off a year.

Lower and low pay and conditions has and is very bad for our economy, avoid using Asda and other employers with similar tactics seems only reasonable.
This is nothing. It happens all the time. My wife works for Lancashire County Council social services and a few years ago their 'job description' changed and she lost £3000 a year (no there are NOT too many zeros) and she works 24 hours, some lost 5k (a hundred quid a week). She is highly trained with many years service in a very stressful job. It took a couple of years for them to get it through but, thanks to a totally toothless union (UNISON) it happened. We are only just recovering financially now.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:27 pm

The desperation some people have to be subservient serfs, cheerfully clutching scraps dropped from 'the man's' table is depressing. Good luck to the ASDA staff and houseboy's missus.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:28 pm

No Ney Never wrote:Some stuff at asda is ok, some of it is rubbish. The problem I have with them, is that you don't know what they're going to charge for something from one week to the next. Their prices change so regular. Even sainsburys I've noticed recently are becoming just as competitive price wise, but with a much more pleasant shopping experience.
Still prefer Aldi and B&M then the others when I can't get what I want from there.
Aldi and Lidl mainly for us (ASDA is best for wine though). My beef is when you get the 3 for 2 or 2 for 1 offers. They can obviously afford to sell at those offer prices so why don't they just reduce the price of one item? It just goes to show the mark up. I realise that there are such things as loss leaders to encourage custom but some items seem to be permanently on these offers. Incidentally Aldi and Lidl products are, in some cases, superior to the name brands in the main stores, particularly deli stuff which is nicer and far cheaper than anything in ASDA.

Note: offers such as 3 for 2 don't really benefit the poor anyway because it means having to buy 2 of something you only want one of and if someone is struggling to buy one then the offer is meaningless.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:37 pm

houseboy wrote:Aldi and Lidl mainly for us (ASDA is best for wine though). My beef is when you get the 3 for 2 or 2 for 1 offers. They can obviously afford to sell at those offer prices so why don't they just reduce the price of one item? It just goes to show the mark up. I realise that there are such things as loss leaders to encourage custom but some items seem to be permanently on these offers. Incidentally Aldi and Lidl products are, in some cases, superior to the name brands in the main stores, particularly deli stuff which is nicer and far cheaper than anything in ASDA.

Note: offers such as 3 for 2 don't really benefit the poor anyway because it means having to buy 2 of something you only want one of and if someone is struggling to buy one then the offer is meaningless.
3 for 2 offers are usually used to sell stock quickly.

The price of goods is not determined simply on how much it would cost if you bought it in pristine condition - it is also affected by how long it will stay in pristine condition.

For example, in supermarkets you might often find 3 for 2 on goods that expire quickly like chicken legs.

It isn't simply that the supermarket "can afford to sell them at that price" - it's that they cannot afford to let them go rotten in their aisles. If the chicken goes off before it is sold they lose money. If they sell it as "3 for 2" and sell them more quickly then they might not lose money.

They might still actually be losing money - just not as much. Supermarkets can and do sell certain items at a loss to increase sales in other areas.

There are complexities to it.

If you don't need that many, don't buy them. If you have storage facilities at home (for example, a freezer) you might be able to get yourself a good discount by taking advantage of such offers.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:42 pm

CT has been boycotting Asda since 2004

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:44 pm

Rowls wrote:If you don't need that many, don't buy them. If you have storage facilities at home (for example, a freezer) you might be able to get yourself a good discount by taking advantage of such offers.
Thats what we do ... we have a large chest Freezer ...

But these offers are no use to people on a tight budget with little or no spare money, and they are usually the people with large families who would benefit most from the bogof (or 3 for 2 deals) or single people who don't need 12 chicken breasts etc....

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:57 pm

Bosscat wrote:Thats what we do ... we have a large chest Freezer ...

But these offers are no use to people on a tight budget with little or no spare money, and they are usually the people with large families who would benefit most from the bogof (or 3 for 2 deals) or single people who don't need 12 chicken breasts etc....
Unless you can eat them in one go or have the capacity to store them then, no, they're not great.

But freezers aren't really that expensive these days.

I never earned more than 16k in the UK and often had income far below this or no income at all (laughably I was "living in poverty") but afforded plentiful freezer space and ate like a king.

If you can't afford a 3 for 2 offer, don't buy it.

Likewise, if you can't afford caviar, don't buy it.

edit - if somebody does have a large family then surely the 3 for 2 offer would work well for them - they could eat the offer without the need to buy storage.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:02 pm

ASDAs fruit and veg usually looks like someone's been jumping up and down on it for an hour.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:06 pm

The large supermarkets have to cover such vast overheads and produce a certain level of profit to satisfy shareholders that no matter how big their buying power, their prices contain decent margins. It's no wonder that the lower cost, more nimble operations are taking market share.
The likes of Aldi haven't saddled themselves with an oversized estate and staff numbers that costs so much to run. More people are buying little and often rather than one big shop, the ability to get in and out in a short amount of time makes the smaller stores more appealing, convenient and cheaper.

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:25 pm

I agree with the poster above re Sainsbury’s – I think it is very competitive now.

Whenever I’ve done a big shop at Asda or Morrisons it always seems to be more expensive than Tesco or Sainsburys.

I’ve found that Aldi is ok for cheap booze, but everything else has become crap over the last year or two. The fruit and veg doesn’t last 2 minutes, and the meat I’ve had has been awful.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:06 pm

Rowls wrote:3 for 2 offers are usually used to sell stock quickly.

The price of goods is not determined simply on how much it would cost if you bought it in pristine condition - it is also affected by how long it will stay in pristine condition.

For example, in supermarkets you might often find 3 for 2 on goods that expire quickly like chicken legs.

It isn't simply that the supermarket "can afford to sell them at that price" - it's that they cannot afford to let them go rotten in their aisles. If the chicken goes off before it is sold they lose money. If they sell it as "3 for 2" and sell them more quickly then they might not lose money.

They might still actually be losing money - just not as much. Supermarkets can and do sell certain items at a loss to increase sales in other areas.

There are complexities to it.

If you don't need that many, don't buy them. If you have storage facilities at home (for example, a freezer) you might be able to get yourself a good discount by taking advantage of such offers.
So this applies to 3 for 2 on tinned goods then that have a shelf life of years?

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:45 pm

claret2018 wrote:I agree with the poster above re Sainsbury’s – I think it is very competitive now.

Whenever I’ve done a big shop at Asda or Morrisons it always seems to be more expensive than Tesco or Sainsburys.

I’ve found that Aldi is ok for cheap booze, but everything else has become crap over the last year or two. The fruit and veg doesn’t last 2 minutes, and the meat I’ve had has been awful.
We have been buying some of our meat "Steak etc" from Lidl lately as its traceably sourced and quite good quality

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Bosscat wrote:We have been buying some of our meat "Steak etc" from Lidl lately as its traceably sourced and quite good quality
I get my meat delivered by the Scottish master butcher Donald Russell....check him out fantastic product and service.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:14 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:If everyone stopped buying from Asda there would be no wages at all for their employees.

Then they'll find jobs at the supermarkets that replace Asda, and those supermarkets will know what happens if they start screwing over their staff.

It's a market-based solution. I thought you right-wingers were big fans of those?

Edit: oh, and by the way it also sends a message to all the other supermarkets that we won't tolerate them having shitty employment practices.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:19 pm

Is this in response to the ruling that they have to pay people who sit at the tills all day, the same rate as the people who do all the lifting in the warehouse?

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:39 pm

Steve1956 wrote:I get my meat delivered by the Scottish master butcher Donald Russell....check him out fantastic product and service.
;) how far does he deliver

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:23 am

Damo wrote:Is this in response to the ruling that they have to pay people who sit at the tills all day, the same rate as the people who do all the lifting in the warehouse?
I don't think they have ruled that yet. The ruling so far is that the terms of the two contracts are similar so that the till people (indoor) are entitled to argue that their job is broadly the same as the heavy lifters (outdoor). Whether they will succeed or not? Who knows. Common sense often leaves the room when the industrial tribunal sits.

Unless it's moved on in the last week or so?

wickdkewlclaret
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by wickdkewlclaret » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:07 am

Surely the best thing to do would be to do organised strikes, Including checkout staff. That could hurt the company in many ways.

If the staff are unhappy about it, they should do something about it not us!

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:21 am

It seems these 3,000 employees whom the MP claims are affected are part of a group of c. 100,000 - the others therefore earning the same or more. ASDA are, as part of this, reducing the hours worked on a night shift - working less hours doubtless helps explain why some people are getting paid less.

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:48 am

Surprised to learn breaks are paid for anywhere any more to be honest.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:02 am

houseboy wrote:Aldi and Lidl mainly for us (ASDA is best for wine though). My beef is when you get the 3 for 2 or 2 for 1 offers. They can obviously afford to sell at those offer prices so why don't they just reduce the price of one item? It just goes to show the mark up. I realise that there are such things as loss leaders to encourage custom but some items seem to be permanently on these offers. Incidentally Aldi and Lidl products are, in some cases, superior to the name brands in the main stores, particularly deli stuff which is nicer and far cheaper than anything in ASDA.

3 for 2 offers are often paid for, or part paid for, by the manufacturer/supplier. It basically reduces margins for them, meaning they can’t then afford the pay rises for their staff etc etc. The demands of large retailers and supermarkets can be crippling for some businesses, especially when they become over reliant on that business once they becaome their largest customer.

It’s common practice for the retailer to demand a credit for stock they haven’t shifted in order to sell that stock off cheaper, and may be written into the supply contracts. Sure the retailer takes a small hit, but the lions share of that can often be felt by the supplier.
This user liked this post: houseboy

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:05 am

Anyone that thinks their favourite supermarket is treating them with 3 for 2 offers or any promotion is sadly mistaken. The supplier or owner of that brand is paying for it. They will be covering the lost profit that Asda has given to the consumer. In the 3 for 2 offers, often the supplier has very little choice and will be forced to join in or won’t be on the shelf in a fee months.

Then when they join in they will be asked to contribute to the cost of any advertising of the promotion and even the cost for the space at the end of the aisle where the offers are.
This user liked this post: houseboy

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:50 am

Sorry to bring Brexit into this but one of the better things the EU have done is workers rights. May has said they will not weaken them but she is soon gone and god knows what will follow.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:21 am

Bosscat wrote:;) how far does he deliver
Nationwide buddy,give them a try,the fillet steak melts in your mouth. ;)
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:26 am

Everything is well packed in dry ice BC and it generally comes next day delivery.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:37 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:Sorry to bring Brexit into this but one of the better things the EU have done is workers rights. May has said they will not weaken them but she is soon gone and god knows what will follow.
We are still in the EU and it's always been down to the employers if they wish to pay workers for their breaks.

The government have made it clear on their site it's down to employers.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:00 am

houseboy wrote:So this applies to 3 for 2 on tinned goods then that have a shelf life of years?
No, it wouldn't apply. See bolded word below:
Rowls wrote:3 for 2 offers are usually used to sell stock quickly.
The other kind of item supermarkets will put on £ for 2£ are non-essentials like crisps, confectionary, booze etc.

Nobody who can't afford these should be buying non-essential products.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:30 am

Rowls wrote:No, it wouldn't apply. See bolded word below:

The other kind of item supermarkets will put on £ for 2£ are non-essentials like crisps, confectionary, booze etc.

Nobody who can't afford these should be buying non-essential products.
What 'shouldn't'' happen is people telling other people what they shouild or shouldn't buy. What people do with whatever money they have is up to them is it not?

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:54 pm

houseboy wrote:What 'shouldn't'' happen is people telling other people what they shouild or shouldn't buy. What people do with whatever money they have is up to them is it not?
Sure. If people find a way to spend money they don't have that is their business.

I'm not stopping them and I wouldn't.

I can say they "shouldn't" though. It's only sensible after all.

I didn't buy expensive luxuries when I couldn't afford them.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:59 pm

Burnleyareback2 wrote:Anyone that thinks their favourite supermarket is treating them with 3 for 2 offers or any promotion is sadly mistaken. The supplier or owner of that brand is paying for it. They will be covering the lost profit that Asda has given to the consumer. In the 3 for 2 offers, often the supplier has very little choice and will be forced to join in or won’t be on the shelf in a fee months.

Then when they join in they will be asked to contribute to the cost of any advertising of the promotion and even the cost for the space at the end of the aisle where the offers are.
And they are discounted for a reason - they aren't popular products. If they were, they wouldn't be discounted.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:50 pm

FactualFrank wrote:And they are discounted for a reason - they aren't popular products. If they were, they wouldn't be discounted.
Many various reasons, in fact being unpopular isn't generally one of them. Supermarkets are reluctant to promote poor selling lines as they are hard to forecast volumes for and make less of an impact - ideally they want to promote the best selling lines to drive more volume and capture shoppers.

Buyers will have limited promotional space in stores, such as the end of aisles or the first aisle when you walk in, they need to generate as much as possible in terms of volume sold from that space. If they don't it's likely they lose that space to another buyer who can sell more volume/ make more profit/ attract more shoppers.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:14 am

Rowls wrote:Sure. If people find a way to spend money they don't have that is their business.

I'm not stopping them and I wouldn't.

I can say they "shouldn't" though. It's only sensible after all.

I didn't buy expensive luxuries when I couldn't afford them.
But people do though don't they bud? Even those with little money (and I have been there in the past) still want to treat themselves and make life feel like it's worth living. Especially if you've got kids who want things you want to do what is best for your family and if that means buying stuff occasionally that you can't really afford you do it. I have, in the past, lived beyond my means in order to give my family holidays and good Christmases and birthdays, I did it for them not me, and I eventually had to look at things and start paying back but I got through things without ever getting a hand-out or a benefit of any kind. But you know I wouldn't change what I did if I had to do it all again because my kids, thanks to all that, have had a good life and now they have kids of their own and are happy. I don't have a problem with people spending what they haven't got, providing they pay it back when reality hits, as it always does.

Sorry, all a tad off-topic but what I mean is you do what you can eh?
This user liked this post: Siddo

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32235 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:27 am

randomclaret2 wrote:If everyone stopped buying from Asda there would be no wages at all for their employees.
I've not shopped at Asda since the Wimbledon/MK situation

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:08 am

houseboy wrote:But people do though don't they bud? Even those with little money (and I have been there in the past) still want to treat themselves and make life feel like it's worth living. Especially if you've got kids who want things you want to do what is best for your family and if that means buying stuff occasionally that you can't really afford you do it. I have, in the past, lived beyond my means in order to give my family holidays and good Christmases and birthdays, I did it for them not me, and I eventually had to look at things and start paying back but I got through things without ever getting a hand-out or a benefit of any kind. But you know I wouldn't change what I did if I had to do it all again because my kids, thanks to all that, have had a good life and now they have kids of their own and are happy. I don't have a problem with people spending what they haven't got, providing they pay it back when reality hits, as it always does.

Sorry, all a tad off-topic but what I mean is you do what you can eh?
Yes, all true.

Everybody wants a little luxury at times.

But if you can't afford much in that way then you have to pick and choose more carefully.

Perhaps look to take advantage of offers - things like 3 for 2 in the supermarket can be ideal :)

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:41 am

ClaretTony wrote:I've not shopped at Asda since the Wimbledon/MK situation
Same here and obviously haven't stepped inside the MK Dons ground either but guess that goes without saying

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:03 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I've not shopped at Asda since the Wimbledon/MK situation
It's tough call when you start talking about boycotting, especially with big companies. As someone has pointed out it is right to boycot something you have a problem with but unfortunately with so many companies now being so big you have to think about the bigger picture and the bigger picture can be people's livelihoods. The large corporations do seem to have a stranglehold on many aspects of society now that go beyond their initial use or reason for existence. Asda, among others, are a classic case of that. If enough people boycotted them would they change or would they just open more self-service tills and get rid of staff? Tesco now have an 'alternative' Tesco named Jacks (I think) and they have recently closed down Rawtenstall to open it as Jacks, apparently laying off all the staff and offering them their jobs back on less money. There doesn't seem to be any way of winnng these days.