Is an end of season “ mini” clearout on the cards ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Is an end of season “ mini” clearout on the cards ?

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:36 pm

Now we’re all but mathematically safe , I’d imagine the club will be planning ahead ( fag packets /beer mats/ bookies pens and a cheap PAYG mobile ) for next season . Though our brave rearguard from an injury ravaged squad has been “ proudsville “ admirable I’d imagine we could receive numerous offers for our players from the champ and Prem . Personally I’m sure SD will keep the “ backbone” but next year is one we can truly push on , imo

Defour - love to see him back but seriously ?
Pope - time to cash in he needs gametime
Hart - Still a high end keeper but do we need him?
Brady/Lennon/Gudm - could attract interest from promoted clubs .Norwich?
Tarky - surely a prem club comes for him and we cash out? Leics/Wham/ ?
Cork/Wood/Hendrick/Lowton could all be improved upon

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Re: Is an end of season “ mini” clearout on the cards ?

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Just bump one of the many summer transfer threads already started...

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... =transfers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... 72#p984672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... ur#p988489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by CombatClaret on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Jesus Christ..... Mini Clearout?
This user liked this post: Spike

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:44 pm

I'll need to check, but I'm not aware of Dyche ever having much of a clear out, couple of players maybe but that's it.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1939 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:46 pm

I think at least one keeper, Defour and Crouch will leave.

Possibly Vydra as well.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:49 pm

dandeclaret wrote:Jesus Christ..... Mini Clearout?
we are only going to field 3 players next season, that's how good we are :D

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:50 pm

Don't worry, we won't be getting rid of you.

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:51 pm

Why would we want to get rid of J B G ?
He picks up the odd knock but he’s vital member of squad.
Can’t see Tarks going anywhere he’s not had the best of seasons,think the England call up went to his head last summer and he spent half the season trying to be something he isn’t.Will be better next season.

Hart needs to go and let pope and Heaton fight for number 1 spot.

I’d let Lowton go if we can replace with someone quicker and better quality on ball.?

I get rid of Defour his body can’t cope with what Dyche wants him to do which is a shame because he’s class.

Need another central midfielder or two to put pressure on Cork and Westwood who have been great since Christmas but are limited in ability in an attacking sense.

Very tough to find players that are good enough and fit the wage bill,I wouldn’t expect many incomings.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by DustyBawls » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:51 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Don't worry, we won't be getting rid of you.
Post of the week. :lol:

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:59 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Don't worry, we won't be getting rid of you.
Cheers Ronnie.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:03 pm

I wasn’t so much referring to transfer targets more to the possibility of a fair few squad members wanting 1st team football and actually receiving offers , not something we generally get a great deal of . I’d totally forgot about Vydra

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:11 pm

Evolution, not revolution, is more Sean’s style.
This user liked this post: Spike

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:20 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:Now we’re all but mathematically safe , I’d imagine the club will be planning ahead ( fag packets /beer mats/ bookies pens and a cheap PAYG mobile ) for next season . Though our brave rearguard from an injury ravaged squad has been “ proudsville “ admirable I’d imagine we could receive numerous offers for our players from the champ and Prem . Personally I’m sure SD will keep the “ backbone” but next year is one we can truly push on , imo

Defour - love to see him back but seriously ?
Pope - time to cash in he needs gametime
Hart - Still a high end keeper but do we need him?
Brady/Lennon/Gudm - could attract interest from promoted clubs .Norwich?
Tarky - surely a prem club comes for him and we cash out? Leics/Wham/ ?
Cork/Wood/Hendrick/Lowton could all be improved upon
That is "alargeClaret" clear out.

It's still a squad game - and Burnley does not (yet) have the money to buy 2 first teams (unlike top 6 clubs).

My views:

Defour - love to see Steven Defour fit again like he was at the start of 2017/18 season. Someone half as good would cost us twice the price.

Nick Pope - love to keep Nick (and Tom Heaton), but I think Nick will decide if we wants to wait until Tom gets another injury (which I hope doesn't happen).

Joe Hart - yes, if we paid £3.5 million to bring Joe in, and if we aren't committed to pay him £100k per week - Joe should be moving on (and putting some money into Burnley's bank account). But, it will be tricky, if, when City stop paying the other half of his wages, the contract says Burnley is paying.... because no one will want Joe Hart for "money tree" money.

Brady and JBG - we keep because they are good squad players - and they can compete for the shirt.

Aaron Lennon - not sure what his contract situation is - has he got another Premier League season in him? Or, a step down to a promotion chasing team next season?

James Tarkowski - we get him back to performing at his very best - and we look at those occasions when Ben-James-Ben are our back 3. (Remember when we were worried we didn't have cover for every position)?

Jack Cork - once that "once last top game" at Stamford Bridge?
Chris Wood - starting to show the form that we bought him for - give Chris the service and he will score (except when we are 2-2 at Chelsea.... I wish he's had the confidence to put it in the corner....

Jeff Hendrick - Jeff is now showing what he brings to the team - and what a goal on Monday night.

Matt Lowton - if we can sign a better right back, but we shouldn't release Matt until we've got his replacement "Dyche fit."

Peter Crouch - only signed until the end of the season - I'd expect we will add a forward to compete for the shirt.

Matej Vydra - like a number of our signings, he may come into his own and win his place in the team with a full pre-season. (Though, if Matej wants to go, and the money is right, I'm sure it will be Sean Dyche's call).

The art, of course, is working out who will be starting to age and tire, as opposed to improve with age and experience, and bring in the "fresh legs" to keep the team moving forward, "fine margins" etc.

UTC

UTC

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:29 pm

Almost as if he wants to start again with a completely new squad. Won’t be anyone left.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:37 pm

Watching United, I think there'll be one hell of a clear-out there, if OGS gets his way, and contracts allow.

They're sh1t. :mrgreen:

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2273 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:46 pm

You do read some daft stuff, where are we going to find £100m+ to replace that lot :lol:

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:46 pm

I knew the opening post was as wind up as soon as Wood was mentioned!
This user liked this post: KlyBfc

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by KlyBfc » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:14 pm

Spijed wrote:I knew the opening post was as wind up as soon as Wood was mentioned!
It’s absolutely baffling....

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:58 pm

I'd get rid of Brady, JBG and Lennon, they're all gash. Mcneil is a million miles ahead of the lot in terms of end product.

I was a fan of the Brady signing at the time but it hasn't worked out at all, I know some will pretend he was amazing before injury but I disagree, before his injury he had approximately 3 good games for us.

JBG can't stay fit and when he is fit, he's pretty ineffective for the most part and certainly compared to Mcneil, 5 goals in 3 full PL seasons just isn't enough.

Lennon has just been horrific, Bournemouth game aside, he's been the worst player on the pitch nearly every game. A blessing in disguise he got injured and Dyche was forced to use Mcneil.

OUT
Ward (Taylor's had a great season, up there for POTY imo)
Defour (as much as I love him, he cant stay fit and Westwood has been incredible)
Brady
JBG *maybe keep if we're desperate for bodies*
Lennon
Crouch (useless laughable signing really)
Wells (not good enough)
Vydra (loved the signing, never gonna be given a chance, so pointless to keep him)
Ledgkins
Hart
Pope/Heaton (personally i'd cash in on Pope to free up funds to invest elsewhere, Heaton's shirt to lose and he will never lose it. Keep Lindegaard as 2nd choice and bring in a younger goalkeeper to challenge for the 2nd spot)

Heaton
XXXX TARK MEE TAYLOR
XXXX WESTWOOD XXXX MCNEIL
XXXX WOOD

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:08 pm

Bardsley is staying

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:13 pm

KRBFC wrote:

Heaton
XXXX TARK MEE TAYLOR
XXXX WESTWOOD XXXX MCNEIL
XXXX WOOD
Barnes?
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:23 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:Barnes?
Yeah rotate between Wood, Barnes and another.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:29 pm

All those saying we should get rid of Defour might have forgot we triggered a one year extension to his contract.
We have little chance of selling or even giving away (because Defour won’t want to go) a player on £2m a year at least who has been injured for 12 months now and is known to have had a very serious injury in the past.

Wells, Walters, Ward, Crouch, Bardsley all out of contract - only one I think might be offered a new one is Bardsley.
That should free up around £7m a year in wages.

I think we need to also sell Vydra and that Pope and Hart will want to leave. That could bring in £20m in fees and free up another £7m in wages.

Brady is one that if we could sell him I would - I don’t think we will have any takers though and he’s another one who might be happy to see out his contract on the bench.

Lennon I think will stay and fight for his place and I think he could be a good player to come off the bench when he is back fit.

I do think we are looking at around half a dozen coming in and ideally 2 of these are challenging Cork (or Jeff) and Barnes or Wood for the first team....as we know that should motivate the players who have the shirt if there are new big signings waiting in the wings.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:46 pm

KRBFC wrote:I'd get rid of Brady, JBG and Lennon, they're all gash.
Your back - like you never left
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:09 am

Walters has retired so he is definitely off. Ward and Crouch are out of contract and I cannot see them being re-newed as they have contributed very little this season.
Bardsley might be worth another year.

I would off load Wells ( who still has a year to go ) Hart Lennon and Defour however as TVC rightly points finding a taker will be tricky if not impossible for our Belgian.

None of these moves would impact the squad significantly if at all, and free up some wages for a couple of midfielders.

Upgrades on Brady and Vydra might be possible but only if replacements can be found.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:03 am

Chester Perry wrote:Your back - like you never left
What do any of them offer? Off the top of my head, Lennon has 1 goal for us? What about Brady? 2 or 3 league goals? JBG has 5 in 3 PL seasons.

Lennon this season, 1 goal 1 assist. He's complete gash, young dwight has done more in 1 game than Lennon has in his entire Burnley career, waste of resources.

Brady, 14 appearances this season, what does he do?
score goals? no, 0 goals this season.
create goals? not really, 1 assist all season.
pace? absolutely not

Your comeback will be ''well he's coming back from an injury'', ok i'll give you that one, so here's Brady's stats from last season before he got injured:
Played 15, 1 goal, 2 assists. In his first 6 months, 14 appearances, 1 goal, 2 assists too.... pretty consistent at being crap.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:40 am

I would have thought you would have used your experiences on here to reflect that Burnley is much more about the sum of it's parts working together than the break down of each individuals contributions. It is everything our manager has talked about since he first arrived, between them they find ways of contributing that make the whole significantly greater than the sum of it's parts. Walters, as an example, has been much maligned on here, but he has contributed to the development of Barnes and McNeil amongst others as a member of our squad

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3162 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:11 am

KRBFC wrote:What do any of them offer? Off the top of my head, Lennon has 1 goal for us? What about Brady? 2 or 3 league goals? JBG has 5 in 3 PL seasons.

Lennon this season, 1 goal 1 assist. He's complete gash, young dwight has done more in 1 game than Lennon has in his entire Burnley career, waste of resources.

Brady, 14 appearances this season, what does he do?
score goals? no, 0 goals this season.
create goals? not really, 1 assist all season.
pace? absolutely not

Your comeback will be ''well he's coming back from an injury'', ok i'll give you that one, so here's Brady's stats from last season before he got injured:
Played 15, 1 goal, 2 assists. In his first 6 months, 14 appearances, 1 goal, 2 assists too.... pretty consistent at being crap.
JBG is a very good player........one of our best crossers of the ball! After a full pre season he'll be like a new signing ( you heard it here first)!

Grimsdale
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by Grimsdale » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:59 am

Can't believe people saying we should get rid of JBG, would cost a big chunk of our transfer budget to replace him if we did.

He's had 15 assists in the last two seasons in the PL, which is 3 more than Mesut Ozil over the same period and just 2 and 4 less than David Silva and Eden Hazard respectively. I can see why Dyche has been starting Hendrick on the right flank recently but JBG can be a game changer when he comes on, plus he can play on either wing - we'd be mad to lose him.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4160 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:30 am

Why is the bumbling idiot back with his drivel

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:33 am

The reoccurring players need moving on thread which is usually based on whether the UTC poster likes or dislikes the player not necessarily based on ability or contribution. Another random comment about Joe Hart's wage and City paying it. Even when Hart has long gone some will struggle not to mention him in posts.

So it is click on Hart, Pope, Crouch, Vydra, Lennon, Defour, Brady, Ward and remove from squad. Click, gone. Right lets get some players in........oh hang on weve got a tiny squad and find it difficult to compete in the transfer market.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:49 am

OUT;
Defour
Hart
Crouch
Lennon

IN;
Central midfielder
Right midfielder with pace
A young right back with a view to breaking into the side in 2020/2021
Striker
Attacking midfielder, or someone who can play the no 10 role in a 4-5-1

beddie
Been Liked: 1380 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:15 am

Rileybobs. I agree with your "IN" section. The only issue I can see is the cost, in the current climate would we not be looking at £75/80 mill for the quality that's required.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:27 am

I've changed my mind since our amazing improvement since Xmas.

But we do have to evolve the team a bit.

We need a CM, ST and a LB (back up) as a priority and the rest depend on who leaves.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:39 am

I would imagine that Hart will be looking for game time somewhere else, hopefully Pope won't.
Bardsley is great cover / competition for RB, but at some point we will need a young understudy in the way Taylor was brought in to eventually take over from Ward. Whether that's this summer or not can depend on a few factors such as is Bardsley good to go another season (can't see why not), could a suitable player become available that's worth snapping up now.
Talking of Taylor and Ward, it's pretty much the same situation at LB as at RB.
CB is not an issue unless someone puts in a transfer request given that Long and Gibson should be good enough cover.

Things start to get a bit more complicated further up the field.
It's fair to say that surely McNeil has earned the shirt for next season if SD sees him playing down the left again, leaving Brady with a lot to do to put himself in a position to step up should the opportunity arise. Pope and Brady are probably two players that have the most quality against which they're competing. I can't see Brady going anywhere this summer.
Over the other side we have JBG and Lennon with Hendrick moving across to that side of the pitch. A fit JBG is great, Hendrick has been great also. What is unclear is whether SD is seeing enough in Lennon to suggest he has a future here and do we go with JBG and Hendrick next season. Is Hendrick happy to play there and compete with JBG or do we need to bring someone else in, with Hendrick back in the midfield mix?

So far, my list of leavers only consists of Crouch, Hart and Lennon.
This brings us to the Defour dilemma. The only thing letting the bloke down is his fitness as far as availability is concerned, his desire is another matter. Given his lack of appearances, we as supporters are going to find it hard to gauge, but SD and his staff will know whether to ask his agent to try and find him another club this summer. We do need someone with his skill set, but whether it's him or another is hard to call.
Cork and Westwood aren't going anywhere, but we do need at least one extra body bringing in, maybe two if Hendrick is the cover for JBG.

I think it's a given that Barnes and Wood are two players we'll be selecting from next season to play upfront, I also think Vydra is unlikely to go anywhere either. Whether that's continuing his step up to premier level and the way SD wants him playing, or simply another chance to prove he has that ability to make the step up I don't know, but I don't think he'll be moving this season.
Something must be in the planning for SD to let Vokes go and accept Crouch to cover until the end of the season. Maybe it's someone who can form a partnership with Vydra that would play differently to the Barnes/Wood combination, or simply another to compete with the other three for a starting place.

Unable to add much to my list as we moved up field, I'd say Crouch, Hart, Lennon and potentially Defour.

We need a forward and a couple of midfielders, or one midfielder and a right sider if Hendrick goes back in the middle.

Three, possibly four out and three in is where I believe we're at this coming transfer window, and is about as far as our budget will stretch.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:47 am

Wells
Hart
Defour
Vydra
Lennon
Crouch

Thats about it I think maybe a bit over the top but also could be about right

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:02 am

It's hard to tell what Dyche thinks. In theory, why would you give Ward another contract. He's not played all season and he's what, 33? Yes, he's been great and, for all that Taylor has improved, there was a time early in the season when it really wasn't clear he was going to be OK. But then why would you have two experienced keepers as back-up to your top two and yet refuse to play them and buy Hart? So, it's not always clear why we do what we do.

But yes, Crouch, Ward, Hart, Defour, Lennon, Vydra, Wells, Lindegaard, Legzdins, Brady can go for me. That's about 15 minutes of PL playing time this season that we'd be letting go. Pope and Tarkowski might have plans too.

We need another RB if not now then soon; another LB, a CM and another striker. Being realistic, I don't think they'd be much better than what we have but they'd give some competition in those slots. If I could have one upgrade, it would be CM.
Last edited by thatdberight on Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:04 am

Can you just clear players out who are under contract to club?

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:05 am

NL Claret wrote:Can you just clear players out who are under contract to club?

You can on football manager it seems
This user liked this post: NL Claret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:06 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:You can on football manager it seems
Not on 2019. Far too hard!

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:06 am

NL Claret wrote:Can you just clear players out who are under contract to club?
No. But a number of the likely candidates are out of contract in the summer and some of the others would be attractive to other clubs to allow you to make changes without taking a bath.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:07 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Not on 2019. Far too hard!

Some of our residents must play in a cheat mode then

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:09 am

We can ask Defour’s agent as much as we want to find him another club but given next year could easily be his last season ever of earning big money then my guess is that 99% of agents and footballers in his position would just stay put...it may be different for some players who just want to play and may even take a pay cut to get their career back on track but Defour with his constant injuries might know his body just isn’t up to it anymore.
I think he will spend the year with us training and keeping himself relatively fit and then look for an easier league to try and comeback in as a free agent.

Mala591
Been Liked: 681 times
Has Liked: 428 times

Post by Mala591 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:12 am

Pope is too good to be on the bench and should be playing regularly in the PL. So, imo, the most urgent recruitment situation is two quality central midfield players and two quality centre forwards.

Heaton/Hart

Lowton/Bardsley
Tarkowski/Long
Mee/Gibson
Taylor/Ward

JBG/Hendrick
Westwood/????
Cork/????
McNeil/Brady

Barnes/????
Wood/????

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:22 am

Definitely going / out of contract
Walters, Wells, Crouch, Ward (unfortunately)

Offer new contract - 1 year - Bardsley

Can go if we get a decent offer
Hart & Lennon and to a lesser extent Brady and Defour

Vydra, I'm not sure about, perhaps he needs a full pre-season?

We would then need to sign a new left back for cover, a right mid, striker and a centre mid, that should see us in pretty good shape.

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:30 am

thatdberight wrote:It's hard to tell what Dyche thinks. In theory, why would you give Ward another contract. He's not played all season and he's what, 33? Yes, he's been great and, for all that Taylor has improved, there was a time early in the season when it really wasn't clear he was going to be OK. But then why would you have two experienced keepers as back-up to your top two and yet refuse to play them and buy Hart? So, it's not always clear why we do what we do.

But yes, Crouch, Ward, Hart, Defour, Lennon, Vydra, Wells, Lindegaard, Legzdins, Brady can go for me. That's about 15 minutes of PL playing time this season that we'd be letting go. Pope and Tarkowski might have plans too.

We need another RB if not now then soon; another LB, a CM and another striker. Being realistic, I don't think they'd be much better than what we have but they'd give some competition in those slots. If I could have one upgrade, it would be CM.
Ward retired from international football to give himself a longer club football career, there isn't the budget to replace him or Bardsley this window if we want two midfielders and a forward of decent quality this window. Maybe next year we'll be looking at bringing in a RB and a LB..

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:40 am

Get rid of

Lennon
Hart
Vydra??
Crouch
Walters
Defour

I’m all for having experiance players around the squad but with Heaton, Mee, Ward, Cork, Barnes, Bardsley, Westwood there is plenty there.

Don’t by into we need to spend fortunes to get get players. Look at Fraser, Brooks, Maddison, McNeill etc. There’s bundles of players out there. Name them you say? Pay me to watch football all week every week and I’ll get back to you in 2/3 months.

Some might say Leicester and Bournemouth pay big wages but 6 players I’ve listed won’t be here for peanuts either.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:50 am

Brooks cost around £12m (which is £12m more than McNeil cost us !)....and Maddison was around £24m and Leicester pay big wages.
Fraser cost less than half a million but was bought a few years ago and he was a player that could not get in the team initially and was loaned out to Ipswich. Yes he has turned out to be a great bargain but we have had plenty of them too.

Hopefully we can unearth a few more bargains / gems like we have done in the past but it does seem like this is getting harder to achieve. Hopefully this summer we can get a couple of our main transfer targets over the line and spend some decent money whilst also unearthing good young players for the future like we have done with Pope, Tarks, Taylor, JBG who between them cost around £10m in total and are now worth at least 5 times that.

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:00 pm

TVC15 wrote:We can ask Defour’s agent as much as we want to find him another club but given next year could easily be his last season ever of earning big money then my guess is that 99% of agents and footballers in his position would just stay put...it may be different for some players who just want to play and may even take a pay cut to get their career back on track but Defour with his constant injuries might know his body just isn’t up to it anymore.
I think he will spend the year with us training and keeping himself relatively fit and then look for an easier league to try and comeback in as a free agent.
I'm sure that if SD didn't think he no longer has the desire to play for Burnley and wanted him out, we wouldn't be asking for much of a transfer fee to help it happen. It could be that he may wish to sit it out and collect the wages, but I'd hardly call it big money though, not in the world of football.
It's all ifs, buts and maybe, my preference is that we get back the Defour that was doing the business. I hope he starts afresh with us next season but if he does, I'm sure that I wouldn't be alone in wondering how long will he last this time?
Last edited by No Ney Never on Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:01 pm

We could clear out the players who have contributed to survival and bring in a load more Fulham style to appease UTC posters. Sorry, forgot I can't use Fulham as an example on here.

Dyche "Arran, Steve, sorry I'm clearing you out"

Arran / Defour "I'm under contract gaffer and I won't get better wages elsewhere so I'm staying put"

Click, click, delete.