Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
Claret
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:57 pm
Been Liked: 102 times
Has Liked: 155 times

Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby Claret » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:33 pm

For his heroics in the World Cup.
Well deserved if you ask me.
http://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/1635223 ... p-heroics/

# 2
gawthorpe_view
Posts: 2103
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:19 am
Been Liked: 557 times
Has Liked: 1083 times
Location: 'Turf

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby gawthorpe_view » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Whilst he played well and was a good ambassador for the town, I think it's a bit over the top.

# 3
Claret
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:57 pm
Been Liked: 102 times
Has Liked: 155 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby Claret » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:49 pm

gawthorpe_view wrote:Whilst he played well and was a good ambassador for the town, I think it's a bit over the top.

I live in Bury and am immensely proud of our local lad as are loads of other folk round here. I certainly don’t think it’s over the top.

# 4
tim_noone
Posts: 7270
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 1799 times
Has Liked: 7407 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby tim_noone » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:50 pm

Well deserved....as is praise heaped on the England squad and management.

# 5
Vegas Claret
Posts: 9935
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 am
Been Liked: 2903 times
Has Liked: 1385 times
Location: clue is in the title

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby Vegas Claret » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:51 pm

Our best player, I'm still gutted he left us !

# 6
boatshed bill
Posts: 3691
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1700 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby boatshed bill » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:52 pm

It's a bit like those Navy ads:
I'm Kieron, born in Bury, but made in Burnley :D :D

# 7
Japebe43
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:25 pm
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby Japebe43 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:56 pm

boatshed bill wrote:It's a bit like those Navy ads:
I'm Kieron, born in Bury, but made in Burnley :D :D


Not sure about that.. His career seems to read.. Man city, *cough* Burnley *cough*, Tottenham Hotspur.. ;)
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

# 8
TVC15
Posts: 3370
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 1295 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby TVC15 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:58 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:Our best player, I'm still gutted he left us !


I agree that he is the best player I have seen in 40 years of supporting BFC.
I am not just saying it now after his great World Cup - I said it when he played for us.
I don’t like this myth that Poccetino has developed him significantly. How many times did we see the quality of his crossing or those brilliantly weighted balls down the line to Danny Ings ?

# 9
boatshed bill
Posts: 3691
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1700 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby boatshed bill » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:59 pm

Japebe43 wrote:Not sure about that.. His career seems to read.. Man city, *cough* Burnley *cough*, Tottenham Hotspur.. ;)


He grew up as a player with Burnley. Really top lad, I'm genuinely delighted he's reached this level (even if he did have to go to Spurs to do it).

# 10
Japebe43
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:25 pm
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby Japebe43 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:04 pm

boatshed bill wrote:He grew up as a player with Burnley. Really top lad, I'm genuinely delighted he's reached this level (even if he did have to go to Spurs to do it).


I agree with you totally.. Not sure some of the media do though..!

# 11
boatshed bill
Posts: 3691
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1700 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby boatshed bill » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:06 pm

Japebe43 wrote:I agree with you totally.. Not sure some of the media do though..!


Why is this?

# 12
Japebe43
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:25 pm
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby Japebe43 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:09 pm

boatshed bill wrote:Why is this?


Ah well.. To be fair its only what I've read here, some posters suggesting his Burnley past has been airbrushed out in some articles..

# 13
boatshed bill
Posts: 3691
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1700 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby boatshed bill » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:12 pm

Japebe43 wrote:Ah well.. To be fair its only what I've read here, some posters suggesting his Burnley past has been airbrushed out in some articles..


Oh, I see. didn't know about that.

# 14
Claret
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:57 pm
Been Liked: 102 times
Has Liked: 155 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby Claret » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:13 pm

Japebe43 wrote:Ah well.. To be fair its only what I've read here, some posters suggesting his Burnley past has been airbrushed out in some articles..

It’s probably more to do with lazy journalists and ignorance rather than airbrushing out certain facts

# 15
Stayingup
Posts: 861
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:02 pm
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby Stayingup » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:45 am

Japebe43 wrote:Ah well.. To be fair its only what I've read here, some posters suggesting his Burnley past has been airbrushed out in some articles..


It was in the Guardian. Unusual for that paper, which is very good for football. They have a very good reporter, whose articles are quite funny.

# 16
Burnleyareback2
Posts: 905
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:07 pm
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 461 times
Location: Mostly Europe

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby Burnleyareback2 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:59 am

Nice bit of media for Bury but a bit over the top.

What do they do if he wins a tournament, apart from think we shouldn’t of gotten giddy and handed this out for a semi?
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

# 17
piston broke
Posts: 4516
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:40 pm
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 964 times
Location: Ferkham Hall

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby piston broke » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:59 am

TVC15 wrote:I agree that he is the best player I have seen in 40 years of supporting BFC.
I am not just saying it now after his great World Cup - I said it when he played for us.
I don’t like this myth that Poccetino has developed him significantly. How many times did we see the quality of his crossing or those brilliantly weighted balls down the line to Danny Ings ?

It’s defensively that Poch has improved him. There was nothing to improve on the attacking side of his game.

# 18
TVC15
Posts: 3370
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 1295 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby TVC15 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:02 am

Burnleyareback2 wrote:Nice bit of media for Bury but a bit over the top.

What do they do if he wins a tournament, apart from think we shouldn’t of gotten giddy and handed this out for a semi?


History tells you that there is a good chance this will not happen.
No harm in what they are doing - great recognition for the lad for having a brilliant World Cup. Tournaments like this can be life changing for players. All of a sudden a big chunk of the world know who he is !!

# 19
CaptJohn
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:41 pm
Been Liked: 174 times
Has Liked: 103 times
Location: Malabo, EG/Chester
Contact:

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby CaptJohn » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:06 am

TVC15 wrote:History tells you that there is a good chance this will not happen.
No harm in what they are doing - great recognition for the lad for having a brilliant World Cup. Tournaments like this can be life changing for players. All of a sudden a big chunk of the world know who he is !!

So very true. I'm in Africa right now and was talking to a Greek who was saying how good Tripps was. He's certainly gone global :)
This user liked this post: Jel

# 20
TVC15
Posts: 3370
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 1295 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby TVC15 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:10 am

piston broke wrote:It’s defensively that Poch has improved him. There was nothing to improve on the attacking side of his game.


I’m not so sure about that.
I think he defends now pretty much the same way he did at Burnley. Tough tackler, confident on the ball, not bad in the air for his size but can get caught out at the back post and lose his marker or get beat in the air because of his size.
Look at our goal against them at Wembley...and the Croatian second on Wednesday (where he actually pushes the guy for what was a clear pen but for them scoring)

The fact that Poch paid £25m for Aurier and quite often played him before Tripps in big games suggested to me that he still thinks that against certain teams Tripps is not a good enough defender....which he also did when Walker was there as I don’t think there is any dispute that he is better than both of them going forward

# 21
Lord Beamish
Posts: 2895
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 1055 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby Lord Beamish » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:14 am

He can now drove his cattle through the Town Centre, and have as many Black Puddings on the Market has he can eat.

# 22
ashtonlongsider
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 63 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby ashtonlongsider » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:16 am

Certainly don't wish to put a dampener on proceedings. However IMO Trippier is only the second best right back to have been born in Bury. What honour are they considering bestowing on Gary Neville. After all he has won more than Kieron is ever likely to.

# 23
IanMcL
Posts: 10484
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 2198 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby IanMcL » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:19 am

Thought he was Ramsbottom?

# 24
BurnleyFC
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:51 am
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby BurnleyFC » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:19 am

ashtonlongsider wrote:Certainly don't wish to put a dampener on proceedings. However IMO Trippier is only the second best right back to have been born in Bury. What honour are they considering bestowing on Gary Neville. After all he has won more than Kieron is ever likely to.

That’s a very good point!

# 25
TVC15
Posts: 3370
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 1295 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby TVC15 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:27 am

ashtonlongsider wrote:Certainly don't wish to put a dampener on proceedings. However IMO Trippier is only the second best right back to have been born in Bury. What honour are they considering bestowing on Gary Neville. After all he has won more than Kieron is ever likely to.


Phil Neville has won more than Tripps has - so has Wes Brown and plenty of others. Does not make them necessarily better players !! (Though do agree Gary Neville probably was)

# 26
piston broke
Posts: 4516
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:40 pm
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 964 times
Location: Ferkham Hall

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby piston broke » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:03 am

TVC15 wrote:I’m not so sure about that.
I think he defends now pretty much the same way he did at Burnley. Tough tackler, confident on the ball, not bad in the air for his size but can get caught out at the back post and lose his marker or get beat in the air because of his size.
Look at our goal against them at Wembley...and the Croatian second on Wednesday (where he actually pushes the guy for what was a clear pen but for them scoring)

The fact that Poch paid £25m for Aurier and quite often played him before Tripps in big games suggested to me that he still thinks that against certain teams Tripps is not a good enough defender....which he also did when Walker was there as I don’t think there is any dispute that he is better than both of them going forward

Wouldn’t argue with anything you’ve mentioned but I still think he has improved.

# 27
Claret
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:57 pm
Been Liked: 102 times
Has Liked: 155 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby Claret » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:57 am

IanMcL wrote:Thought he was Ramsbottom?

Ramsbottom and Summerseat are both in the borough of Bury. I think he came from Summerseat. He went to Woodhey school in Rammy.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

# 28
GordonvaleClaret
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:35 am
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 7 times
Location: near Cairns

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby GordonvaleClaret » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Free chips at the Bell-Waldron then.

# 29
KRBFC
Posts: 9183
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:18 am
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 676 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby KRBFC » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:49 pm

TVC15 wrote:I agree that he is the best player I have seen in 40 years of supporting BFC.
I am not just saying it now after his great World Cup - I said it when he played for us.
I don’t like this myth that Poccetino has developed him significantly. How many times did we see the quality of his crossing or those brilliantly weighted balls down the line to Danny Ings ?

It's hard to compare with players in other positions but it's so hard to argue against him being the best we've had since I was born at least.

# 30
NL Claret
Posts: 711
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:37 pm
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby NL Claret » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:52 pm

GordonvaleClaret wrote:Free chips at the Bell-Waldron then.


Wow, that's a blast from the past. Knocked down now.

They from higher Summerseat which is part of Ramsbottom allegedly. As mentioned above he went Woodhey after leaving Holcombe Brook. His mum still works in the local shop. She loved coming to the Turf to watch him.

# 31
cutsy123
Posts: 4688
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:37 pm
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 351 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby cutsy123 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Ive got the freedom of bury so dont see what the big deal is

I use it to go to meat market every fortnight

# 32
Top Claret
Posts: 1515
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:50 am
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 254 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby Top Claret » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Trippier is cock of the Rock

# 33
Top Claret
Posts: 1515
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:50 am
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 254 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby Top Claret » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:21 pm

NL Claret wrote:Wow, that's a blast from the past. Knocked down now.

They from higher Summerseat which is part of Ramsbottom allegedly. As mentioned above he went Woodhey after leaving Holcombe Brook. His mum still works in the local shop. She loved coming to the Turf to watch him.



Just arrived home from my boozer here in Spain and my mate who used to live in Bury, was on about Colin Bell and his restaurant in Whitefield with Waldron. He used to go out drinking with Bell and asked me if he still had the place, I put him out of his misery and told him the place had been dropped and rebuilt and his now a gym

# 34
LoveCurryPies
Posts: 2513
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:00 am
Been Liked: 832 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby LoveCurryPies » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:13 pm

gawthorpe_view wrote:Whilst he played well and was a good ambassador for the town, I think it's a bit over the top.


He played better than well. If the whole team worked as hard we would be looking forward to tomorrow.

# 35
DustyBawls
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:22 am
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby DustyBawls » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:22 pm

He stood out to me as:

Having one of the best first touches (if not THE best)
The best crosser
The best freekick taker
The best corner taker
The player with the most vision - he spotted players and made us move forward, quicker.

He did lose his man when defending some times, but I see him more as an attacking player, not really a defender. He's more a right midfielder than a right back these days.

One thing I did notice - he never wanted to take his man on. He's cut back and pass sideways or backwards.

Why doesn't he just have a go at the full back and then whip a cross in? Beckham could never take a man on either, but Trippier looks to be more skillfull than him and he's not exactly slow.

# 36
TVC15
Posts: 3370
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 1295 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby TVC15 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:36 pm

DustyBawls wrote:He stood out to me as:

Having one of the best first touches (if not THE best)
The best crosser
The best freekick taker
The best corner taker
The player with the most vision - he spotted players and made us move forward, quicker.

He did lose his man when defending some times, but I see him more as an attacking player, not really a defender. He's more a right midfielder than a right back these days.

One thing I did notice - he never wanted to take his man on. He's cut back and pass sideways or backwards.

Why doesn't he just have a go at the full back and then whip a cross in? Beckham could never take a man on either, but Trippier looks to be more skillfull than him and he's not exactly slow.


He`s not a winger. If he takes the full back on loses the ball he would find himself completely out of position and the good teams can break so quickly. His job is to either retain possession or put in the great crosses he does.

# 37
DustyBawls
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:22 am
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby DustyBawls » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:43 pm

TVC15 wrote:He`s not a winger. If he takes the full back on loses the ball he would find himself completely out of position and the good teams can break so quickly. His job is to either retain possession or put in the great crosses he does.


How would he find himself out of position if he's playing wide right? He'd find himself out of position if he was playing right back, as you'll have seen watching England, he has cover when goes forward.

None of that explains why he doesn't try and take a man on. It seems to me more like because his chances of taking a man on and whipping a ball in, is not worth the chance, and playing the percentage game it's better to wait until he has the space to put a ball in, as Beckham used to do.

# 38
TVC15
Posts: 3370
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 1295 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Re: Trippier to granted the freedom of Bury!

Postby TVC15 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:29 pm

DustyBawls wrote:How would he find himself out of position if he's playing wide right? He'd find himself out of position if he was playing right back, as you'll have seen watching England, he has cover when goes forward.

None of that explains why he doesn't try and take a man on. It seems to me more like because his chances of taking a man on and whipping a ball in, is not worth the chance, and playing the percentage game it's better to wait until he has the space to put a ball in, as Beckham used to do.


Why does none of that explain why he does not take people on ?
As I said he is not a winger so firstly why do you think he has the ability to beat a man ? Secondly he would find himself out of position....if he loses the ball then this could often mean that if the ball is kept in play there is a big chance he is on the wrong side of the full back or midfielder. It does not matter whether a midfielder is covering him as they then have 2 players against one.

But the main point is that it is not the strategy of the teams he plays for who do not want him to try and beat players. They want him to cross it or pass it and retain the ball.


Return to “The Bee Hole End”