Eight teams with less points than us

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
lesxdp
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:11 am
Been Liked: 44 times
Has Liked: 512 times
Location: Burnley

Eight teams with less points than us

Postby lesxdp » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:56 pm

After the first games we have eight teams with less points than us. Can we keep that up all season? I know it will be tough but I think we can. Won't be the same eight but so long as there are eight or more it is happy days again.

# 2
Woodleyclaret
Posts: 1978
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:25 pm
Been Liked: 362 times
Has Liked: 354 times

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby Woodleyclaret » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:01 pm

Including the Wengerless Gooners.Happy days.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

# 3
Somethingfishy
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:03 pm
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 77 times
Location: Padiham

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby Somethingfishy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:28 pm

We need to back up todays point with 3 against Watford next weekend. Our start this season is a lot more favourable. Points on the board early and daylight between us and the bottom as quick as we can.

# 4
IanMcL
Posts: 10781
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 2071 times
Has Liked: 2260 times

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby IanMcL » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 pm

Would have been most of the teams, had we not had to compete against homer officials too.

# 5
Spijed
Posts: 6864
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:33 pm
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 548 times

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby Spijed » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:15 pm

Somethingfishy wrote:We need to back up todays point with 3 against Watford next weekend. Our start this season is a lot more favourable. Points on the board early and daylight between us and the bottom as quick as we can.


After 8 matches last season we had 13 points.

# 6
ElectroClaret
Posts: 7595
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:07 pm
Been Liked: 2007 times
Has Liked: 1051 times

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby ElectroClaret » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:17 pm

Our defence is magnificent.

We shall not falter.

# 7
Somethingfishy
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:03 pm
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 77 times
Location: Padiham

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby Somethingfishy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:36 pm

Spijed wrote:After 8 matches last season we had 13 points.


Which was an excellent start with the fixture list we were given. This season is slightly more opposite in that we have a relatively easy start in comparison. If we start poorly or poorer than we did last season we could be under pressure by the time we hit a tough run of fixtures.

# 8
tiger76
Posts: 2164
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:43 pm
Been Liked: 216 times
Has Liked: 900 times
Location: Glasgow

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby tiger76 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:58 pm

Somethingfishy wrote:We need to back up todays point with 3 against Watford next weekend. Our start this season is a lot more favourable. Points on the board early and daylight between us and the bottom as quick as we can.


By all accounts we played well today just couldn't finish our chances,Watford won't be easy next week they looked impressive yesterday,but it's the sort of game we need 3 points from,i agree we need a solid start and a decent buffer between ourselves and the bottom three ASAP.

# 9
RingoMcCartney
Posts: 5240
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:45 pm
Been Liked: 1466 times
Has Liked: 1779 times

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby RingoMcCartney » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:11 am

Respect all

Fear none..

# 10
theroyaldyche
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 pm
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby theroyaldyche » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:52 am

The ones at the bottom now will stay there

# 11
Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:33 pm
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 31 times
Location: Skipton

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:25 am

NAy, we can't draw conclusions after one match - apart from noting that Liverpool and Man City are going to be 'up there'.

# 12
NottsClaret
Posts: 1362
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:05 am
Been Liked: 1118 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby NottsClaret » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:39 am

Wouldn't worry about hard starts or easy starts and pressure etc after one game. Palace lost their first 7 last season and stayed up fairly comfortably, it'll all sort itself out over 38 games.
This user liked this post: houseboy

# 13
FactualFrank
Posts: 10950
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 2788 times
Has Liked: 5104 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby FactualFrank » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:44 am

The biggest challenge isn't the opposition, it's getting Defour and Brady back playing enough games. Do that, and keep everybody else sorted and there's no way we'll finish near the bottom. We'll have the solid defence and be creating more in the final 3rd.

# 14
houseboy
Posts: 1976
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 550 times
Has Liked: 457 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby houseboy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:55 am

I'm not nervous about the season at all. I'm not looking over my shoulder at the ones who will be behind us. Just like I said last season we are going to be fine. There will be no relegation worries. We are a better side than last season (or will be with all fit) and we have the best (bar none) English manager in the country (world?). I don't believe we will even trouble the bottom half let alone the bottom 3.
Also it was nice yesterday to see the bloody 'Ammers getting royally stuffed by Liverpool despite all the money their bleating fans have crowed about them spending. A nothing club with poor history. Long may it continue for them.
As far as yesterday is concerned, I know it made it difficult for us in the last half hour but it was great to see Ings come on and be such a game-changer. If he can stay fit he will be the difference between the Saints struggling and being okay.

# 15
jlup1980
Posts: 1822
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:01 pm
Been Liked: 658 times
Has Liked: 453 times

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby jlup1980 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:12 am

houseboy wrote:Also it was nice yesterday to see the bloody 'Ammers getting royally stuffed by Liverpool despite all the money their bleating fans have crowed about them spending. A nothing club with poor history. Long may it continue for them.


I was quite surprised by their line up given the number of players they brought in over the summer. Ogbonna, Rice and Snodgrass aren't exactly top class. None of them would get anywhere near our team. Wilshere continues to be an enigma. Antonio hasn't really been fit for the past year as well. For all they've spent it appears they still have a pretty average first team.

# 16
lesxdp
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:11 am
Been Liked: 44 times
Has Liked: 512 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby lesxdp » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:21 am

Im_not_Robbie_Blake wrote:NAy, we can't draw conclusions after one match - apart from noting that Liverpool and Man City are going to be 'up there'.


No conclusions drawn at this stage, just a realization that despite some saying the transfer window was a disaster, not my opinion, we are in a healthy position and would be great if we could maintain that and better throughout the season.

# 17
houseboy
Posts: 1976
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 550 times
Has Liked: 457 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby houseboy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:29 am

jlup1980 wrote:I was quite surprised by their line up given the number of players they brought in over the summer. Ogbonna, Rice and Snodgrass aren't exactly top class. None of them would get anywhere near our team. Wilshere continues to be an enigma. Antonio hasn't really been fit for the past year as well. For all they've spent it appears they still have a pretty average first team.

The new players haven't got into the stride of things yet. They need to learn how to sing My Old Man's a Dustman and how to wear a pearly king suit before they let them play. Obviously they also have to have the correct pronunciation of 'On mi 'ead son' as well.

Seriously I think they will have the same problem as Wolves and that is getting the new team to gel properly before they are hopelessly bottom and morale problems kick in. I keep hoping for their relegation every season then maybe these over-rated darlings of the English media will be forgotten for a while. The only thing they have ever had going for them is their fan-base due to their location. I can't think of a more over-rated club in the country than this lot.

On no, I've gone off on another anti-'Ammers rant again. Sorry.
This user liked this post: jlup1980

# 18
corporal jones
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:31 pm
Been Liked: 40 times

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby corporal jones » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:29 am

Fewer points. Just saying.

# 19
jlup1980
Posts: 1822
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:01 pm
Been Liked: 658 times
Has Liked: 453 times

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby jlup1980 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:47 am

houseboy wrote:The new players haven't got into the stride of things yet. They need to learn how to sing My Old Man's a Dustman and how to wear a pearly king suit before they let them play. Obviously they also have to have the correct pronunciation of 'On mi 'ead son' as well.

Seriously I think they will have the same problem as Wolves and that is getting the new team to gel properly before they are hopelessly bottom and morale problems kick in. I keep hoping for their relegation every season then maybe these over-rated darlings of the English media will be forgotten for a while. The only thing they have ever had going for them is their fan-base due to their location. I can't think of a more over-rated club in the country than this lot.

On no, I've gone off on another anti-'Ammers rant again. Sorry.


I don't know anyone who likes West Ham. I went to Upton Park a couple of times and I didn't feel comfortable on either occasion. The walk from the tube station past the market and Queen Vic pub was just like Eastenders. I remember drinking up swiftly in a pub that was clearly for locals! We had a bit of claret and blue showing so the bouncer just let us straight in, but as soon as we ordered a couple of pints at the bar it was like an old western. It all went quiet as my northern accent reverberated around the pub! Safe to say we weren't welcome. Their fans are all up themselves from my experience and have serious delusions of grandeur. They're bang average!

# 20
houseboy
Posts: 1976
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 550 times
Has Liked: 457 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby houseboy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:49 pm

jlup1980 wrote:I don't know anyone who likes West Ham. I went to Upton Park a couple of times and I didn't feel comfortable on either occasion. The walk from the tube station past the market and Queen Vic pub was just like Eastenders. I remember drinking up swiftly in a pub that was clearly for locals! We had a bit of claret and blue showing so the bouncer just let us straight in, but as soon as we ordered a couple of pints at the bar it was like an old western. It all went quiet as my northern accent reverberated around the pub! Safe to say we weren't welcome. Their fans are all up themselves from my experience and have serious delusions of grandeur. They're bang average!

Average is a compliment. I must admit that my only visit to Upton Park was many years ago (I've never really ever felt the need to go there, there are more important games) I spent pretty much the whole of the first half sat on the terrace with my head in my drunken hands and the second half not caring less because of the oncoming hangover.
Listen West 'Am are a pretty inoffensive club and my dislike of them is probably out of all proportion to their importance (or lack of it) but it is the media obsession with the 'Ammers that gets me and the fact that their every move seems to be followed in a way disproportionate to their status. Okay they are a London club with a decent fan base (although given their location it probably should be bigger) but their history sucks. They have won a couple of FA cups and the old fairs cup (or was it the cup winners cup, I can't be bothered to check, it might even be both) but they have never troubled the championship of this nation and I can't see a time when they ever will, but you would think from the attitude of their fans that they are somewhat akin to Barcelona.

To put it in a language they would understand 'You're 'avin a larf aren't you'.
This user liked this post: jlup1980

# 21
quoonbeatz
Posts: 2429
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:03 am
Been Liked: 1305 times
Has Liked: 520 times

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby quoonbeatz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:06 pm

west ham won the world cup 52 years ago, show some respect you non-patriots.
This user liked this post: jlup1980

# 22
jlup1980
Posts: 1822
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:01 pm
Been Liked: 658 times
Has Liked: 453 times

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby jlup1980 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:28 pm

houseboy wrote:Average is a compliment. I must admit that my only visit to Upton Park was many years ago (I've never really ever felt the need to go there, there are more important games) I spent pretty much the whole of the first half sat on the terrace with my head in my drunken hands and the second half not caring less because of the oncoming hangover.
Listen West 'Am are a pretty inoffensive club and my dislike of them is probably out of all proportion to their importance (or lack of it) but it is the media obsession with the 'Ammers that gets me and the fact that their every move seems to be followed in a way disproportionate to their status. Okay they are a London club with a decent fan base (although given their location it probably should be bigger) but their history sucks. They have won a couple of FA cups and the old fairs cup (or was it the cup winners cup, I can't be bothered to check, it might even be both) but they have never troubled the championship of this nation and I can't see a time when they ever will, but you would think from the attitude of their fans that they are somewhat akin to Barcelona.

To put it in a language they would understand 'You're 'avin a larf aren't you'.


They've spent about £90m this summer but you wouldn't have known that yesterday!! I give them a couple more defeats before the fans turn on the Board again!!

# 23
houseboy
Posts: 1976
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 550 times
Has Liked: 457 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Eight teams with less points than us

Postby houseboy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:35 pm

jlup1980 wrote:They've spent about £90m this summer but you wouldn't have known that yesterday!! I give them a couple more defeats before the fans turn on the Board again!!

Absolutely. They think they have a right to that which they have never been anywhere near in their entire history.
Let's all dance down the Old Kent Road singing We're Forever Blowing Bubbles and the papers and TV will all love us, despite the fact that for most of our history we've been sh!te.
We're Forever Blowing Hot Air maybe?
This user liked this post: jlup1980


Return to “The Bee Hole End”