Brexit: The Naked Truth

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
Jakubclaret
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:47 pm
Been Liked: 183 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:11 am

Tall Paul wrote:I'm confused. You said the reason the government don't increase the minimum wage is because businesses dictate policy to them and businesses want cheap labour. Why won't businesses dictate immigration policy to the government in order to maintain their supply of cheap labour after Brexit?

Businesses still will of course & immigration will come on that basis, part of brexit was about, let's have it on our terms so we are not overwhelmed & we've also got the flexibility to select in terms of numbers & skilled personnel, as opposed to the number 1 destination for migrant workers, the UK should be seen as a destination where hard work is rewarded & the place to enhance ambitions, not a out & out holiday camp which has the same effect to a honey pot & a swarm of bees.

# 2
Mala591
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:02 pm
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Mala591 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:13 am

Thought for the day:

The governments Brexit deal includes a non-escapable backstop, £39 billion payment with no delivery clauses and no draft trade agreement.

Is a NO DEAL BREXIT better than a BAD DEAL BREXIT ?

# 3
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 13251
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4461 times
Has Liked: 2393 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:16 am

Businesses still will of course & immigration will come on that basis, part of brexit was about, let's have it on our terms so we are not overwhelmed & we've also got the flexibility to select in terms of numbers & skilled personnel, as opposed to the number 1 destination for migrant workers, the UK should be seen as a destination where hard work is rewarded & the place to enhance ambitions, not a out & out holiday camp which has the same effect to a honey pot & a swarm of bees.


Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Jakubclaret for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
This user liked this post: Putneyclaret

# 4
nil_desperandum
Posts: 4522
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm
Been Liked: 1083 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby nil_desperandum » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:17 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:Malta, Ireland and Cyprus are in the EU27.

What’s this about one landmass?

Not only that, but some landmasses have different rules (e.g. half of Cyprus being outside EU law and the Customs Union despite it being one sovereign country).

Of course there are dozens of small (relatively small) islands that aren't part of the landmass, (one might also include e.g. Majorca, Ibiza, Corsica etc), but like Malta, (an independent country) they have well established arrangements with the rest of Europe, which is essentially the massive "landmass" / trading bloc that I was referring to.
It's interesting that you should mention Cyprus though, since there are parallels here with the island of Ireland. The situation in Cyprus is exactly the one that the EU is committed to avoid. It's one sovereign nation but divided by the "Green Line" separating the two zones, with a not only a hard border, but also a UN controlled demilitarised "buffer zone" to keep peace, and movements of goods and people between the 2 strictly monitored / controlled.
The situation in Cyprus is very complicated, I admit, and it's not the same as Ireland I acknowledge, but the similarities and dangers are clear to see.
This is the "Irish problem" that as yet no one has an answer to.

# 5
Colburn_Claret
Posts: 3143
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:30 pm
Been Liked: 1255 times
Has Liked: 1725 times
Location: Catterick N.Yorks

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Colburn_Claret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:28 am

IanMcL wrote:Evidence of our being led by underhand, lying, cheating Tory scumbags, intent on just winding down the clock, whilst reporting all is well, to the gullible.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/13/kicking-up-dust-little-sign-of-progress-in-uk-eu-talks

I don't doubt this is true, but they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
They've promised the people we will leave.
To ease the path they promised parliament they can have an input and debate.
The problem comes when nobody accepts Mays deal, but also nobody has a viable , supportable alternative.
Parliament had the opportunity and dropped the ball, maybe it was always an impossible catch to make.
The bottom line is the people have been promised we're leaving. The clock is winding down regardless, and saying all is well is no different than a 1000 managers who've stated that all is well in their club, just prior to being sacked. Do you really expect May to stand up in front of the house or TV and shout panic. That would be grossly irresponsible on two fronts. It could start a stampede in a burning building, and it would only encourage Brussels to squeeze even harder.

# 6
IanMcL
Posts: 12848
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 2537 times
Has Liked: 2649 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby IanMcL » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:29 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:Malta, Ireland and Cyprus are in the EU27.

What’s this about one landmass?

Not only that, but some landmasses have different rules (e.g. half of Cyprus being outside EU law and the Customs Union despite it being one sovereign country).

Despite Union being a condition of entry, at one point.

# 7
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 13251
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4461 times
Has Liked: 2393 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:31 am

Colburn, this is the digital media age, Brussels are well aware how disorganised we are.

Admitting that we are doesn't harm us at all when its obvious to all.

I mean, every single poster on here acknowledges that the Govt have handled this badly. If we know, then sure as hell the EU does.

We need to go for the Germany + deal before its too late.

# 8
IanMcL
Posts: 12848
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 2537 times
Has Liked: 2649 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby IanMcL » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:35 am

I release anyone from the 'promise', Colcurn, I do not require any promise other than for the elected folk to do what is actually best for the country. That is overwhelmingly to remain in a very supportive organisation - EU.

People vote at times, to protest about a certain aspect of life that is not to their liking. Having made that wee protest, let's resume what actually is best, not get hooked on a 50 -50 split going marginally one way.

# 9
Colburn_Claret
Posts: 3143
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:30 pm
Been Liked: 1255 times
Has Liked: 1725 times
Location: Catterick N.Yorks

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Colburn_Claret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:43 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:More good news.

Colburn - this is what is known as "evidence" and is "worth a read if you are as open minded as you say"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 77766.html

It's not evidence, it's spin.
The ferries were only being hired in the first place as a contingency plan, in case there were delays at Calais.
The Port of Calais have already announced that they foresee no long term delays, so the contingency plan was unnecessary. Even if it's rightly slagged off for being a stupid one anyway.

A perfect example of why there is no evidence, just presumption, based on supposition, wrapped in loosely based facts that can be twisted to favour whichever side you're on.

When you can't buy your favourite biscuits at Tesco, post and tell me. That will be evidence. Until then, stop winding yourself up at every non story you read, you'll be fretting yourself into an early grave.

# 10
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 13251
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4461 times
Has Liked: 2393 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:43 am


# 11
Colburn_Claret
Posts: 3143
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:30 pm
Been Liked: 1255 times
Has Liked: 1725 times
Location: Catterick N.Yorks

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Colburn_Claret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:53 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Colburn, this is the digital media age, Brussels are well aware how disorganised we are.

Admitting that we are doesn't harm us at all when its obvious to all.

I mean, every single poster on here acknowledges that the Govt have handled this badly. If we know, then sure as hell the EU does.

We need to go for the Germany + deal before its too late.

I agree, but if you admit it Brussels will stick it's foot in the door and try and stop it closing. The message it sends is, we might not be ready, we might not be organised, but we're leaving anyway, and if the only deal you are offering us is bad for us, it is also bad for Europe.

# 12
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 13251
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4461 times
Has Liked: 2393 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:56 am

Quick question Colburn

Is the Port of Calais part of the EU?

Is it an independent country?

And I'm not fretting myself into an early grave. I'm just trying to find out the information you have that makes you so certain that all the experts on trade etc are wrong.

Are you actually Patrick Minford?

# 13
Colburn_Claret
Posts: 3143
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:30 pm
Been Liked: 1255 times
Has Liked: 1725 times
Location: Catterick N.Yorks

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Colburn_Claret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:57 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Nicked from twitter

https://twitter.com/SimonBruni/status/1 ... 8051657731

Yet again it isn't ALL experts.

There were experts that told us Tony Blair's minimum wage wad going to lead to 2 million more unemployed, I wonder WTF happened to those experts........

You'll be quoting the genius Terry Christian next.

# 14
Colburn_Claret
Posts: 3143
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:30 pm
Been Liked: 1255 times
Has Liked: 1725 times
Location: Catterick N.Yorks

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Colburn_Claret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:58 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Quick question Colburn

Is the Port of Calais part of the EU?

Is it an independent country?

And I'm not fretting myself into an early grave. I'm just trying to find out the information you have that makes you so certain that all the experts on trade etc are wrong.

Are you actually Patrick Minford?

It's possible that all the experts are wrong.
But it's impossible for all the experts to be right, seeing as an awful lot of them have opposing views.

# 15
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 13251
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4461 times
Has Liked: 2393 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:00 am

I agree, but if you admit it Brussels will stick it's foot in the door and try and stop it closing. The message it sends is, we might not be ready, we might not be organised, but we're leaving anyway, and if the only deal you are offering us is bad for us, it is also bad for Europe.


All true (apart from claiming the EU will interfere with our internal democratic process of course!)

But with one pretty crucial bit. The EU never tried to hide form its members that the deal would be worse and would hit them. It was upfront about it from the start AND realised that a No Deal was possible, so started planning a lot earlier. They are ready for this, and expect it to be bad based on all the evidence they have (I know you will deny it is, but thats what responsible governments do).

We are not. People like you think its all ********. Again, just give me the information you have that gives you so much confidence. You don't read experts so it can't be that. What is it?

# 16
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 13251
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4461 times
Has Liked: 2393 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:01 am

Clearly a gag Colburn but come on, you are coming across on here like Steve from Portsmouth.

# 17
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 13251
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4461 times
Has Liked: 2393 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:02 am

But it's impossible for all the experts to be right, seeing as an awful lot of them have opposing views.


Great.....oh wait, but you said you didn't bother reading experts views.

I'm confused now mate, what exactly are you basing your hardline "Its all going to be fine" on?

# 18
Colburn_Claret
Posts: 3143
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:30 pm
Been Liked: 1255 times
Has Liked: 1725 times
Location: Catterick N.Yorks

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Colburn_Claret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:06 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:All true (apart from claiming the EU will interfere with our internal democratic process of course!)

But with one pretty crucial bit. The EU never tried to hide form its members that the deal would be worse and would hit them. It was upfront about it from the start AND realised that a No Deal was possible, so started planning a lot earlier. They are ready for this, and expect it to be bad based on all the evidence they have (I know you will deny it is, but thats what responsible governments do).

We are not. People like you think its all ********. Again, just give me the information you have that gives you so much confidence. You don't read experts so it can't be that. What is it?

Common sense and logic. Only a fool cuts his nose off to spite his face. When leaving bites, and I don't deny it will probably bite, THEN people will sort out deals to ease the path going forward.
We agree a sensible person would have foreseen this and tried to avoid it, but I've never argued anyone on the HOC is sensible.

# 19
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 13251
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4461 times
Has Liked: 2393 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:15 am

Common sense and logic is not what you are using here Colburn.

There isn't an logic without evidence for starters. You don't read about it so you don't know what to base it on. That is the absolute opposite of logic.

And the deals could take years. Do not forget that a "No Deal" will be 100% the UKs fault and will be viewed internationally that way. The governments of the countries affected will take into account when we negotiate.

A "No Deal" affects all that in the future as well.

# 20
Jakubclaret
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:47 pm
Been Liked: 183 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:40 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Jakubclaret for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.


If Brexit can in any way stop the UK becoming well it has become a holiday camp, if it can be reversed so that we get the right workers we need that can only be good thing & beneficial to broad society long term.

# 21
aggi
Posts: 3306
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am
Been Liked: 770 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby aggi » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:55 am

Jakubclaret wrote:If Brexit can in any way stop the UK becoming well it has become a holiday camp, if it can be reversed so that we get the right workers we need that can only be good thing & beneficial to broad society long term.


Just to clarify, this is a holiday camp where people come over to work for minimum wage with less than desirable living conditions?

It doesn't sound like a very good holiday.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

# 22
Colburn_Claret
Posts: 3143
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:30 pm
Been Liked: 1255 times
Has Liked: 1725 times
Location: Catterick N.Yorks

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Colburn_Claret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:20 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Common sense and logic is not what you are using here Colburn.

There isn't an logic without evidence for starters. You don't read about it so you don't know what to base it on. That is the absolute opposite of logic.

And the deals could take years. Do not forget that a "No Deal" will be 100% the UKs fault and will be viewed internationally that way. The governments of the countries affected will take into account when we negotiate.

A "No Deal" affects all that in the future as well.

I haven't read it anywhere, but maybe you have.
Are businesses both sides of the Channel happy about a No Deal Brexit. Has any of them claimed, there not happy about it, but we'll just accept it. I don't believe I need any evidence for that.

There is no need for deals to take years. You've already stated how many of the Deals, we were happy to sign up to. We aren't rewriting all of them, just trying to broker deals on the bits that we disagree on. According to you in many previous posts, that's very little. Even the bits we might disagree on there is always the fall back of WTO. The paperwork is already in place, understood by both sides and ready to go. Any company exporting to Europe is likely to know what is needed to revert to those rules.

The problem here is you and so many like you are always looking for the obstacles, instead of looking for the solutions. It's a mind set that all successful people employ.
**** happens, do you spend all day staring at it, or do you clean it up. Once you accept a situation, life becomes a lot easier.
In all my experience I've never yet known a problem that got resolved by moaning. That doesn't mean you have to be a happy about it, that's different, but moaning is a waste of time.

# 23
scrambledclaret
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:14 pm
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby scrambledclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:23 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:If Brexit can in any way stop the UK becoming well it has become a holiday camp, if it can be reversed so that we get the right workers we need that can only be good thing & beneficial to broad society long term.


Holiday camp? I think I'll go to Croatia instead...

# 24
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 13251
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4461 times
Has Liked: 2393 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:24 pm

Oh great, "ignore problems manager" is here.

Fantastic

# 25
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 13251
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4461 times
Has Liked: 2393 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:29 pm

This isn't solving a problem with the photocopier being out of ink Mr "Who needs experts when all we need is right attitude"

Do me a favour eh

You clearly don't have a scooby doo about any of this. So to stop me replying to your posts which contain multiple inaccuries do two things

Don't post about stuff you don't know anything about or find stuff out about it so you no longer know nothing about it.

# 26
scrambledclaret
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:14 pm
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby scrambledclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:33 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:I haven't read it anywhere, but maybe you have.
Are businesses both sides of the Channel happy about a No Deal Brexit. Has any of them claimed, there not happy about it, but we'll just accept it. I don't believe I need any evidence for that.


So if I've understood you correctly (I can't be sure honestly) it's bad for everyone involved therfore it's a good thing? I'm all for being solution focused but that's pushing it.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

# 27
aggi
Posts: 3306
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am
Been Liked: 770 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby aggi » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:36 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:It's possible that all the experts are wrong.
But it's impossible for all the experts to be right, seeing as an awful lot of them have opposing views.


Just out of curiosity, which ones have opposing views? You make throwaway comments like that fairly often but not with any links to what you're referencing.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Greenmile

# 28
scrambledclaret
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:14 pm
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby scrambledclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:41 pm

Mala591 wrote:Thought for the day:

The governments Brexit deal includes a non-escapable backstop, £39 billion payment with no delivery clauses and no draft trade agreement.

Is a NO DEAL BREXIT better than a BAD DEAL BREXIT ?


It probably isn't if you live in Derry, if for no other reason.

Edit : I misread you first time but I think the point stands

# 29
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 13251
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4461 times
Has Liked: 2393 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:46 pm

Its not a inescapable backstop.

EU has no interest in allowing NI to be in the privileged position in would be any longer than it has to be.

# 30
scrambledclaret
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:14 pm
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby scrambledclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:51 pm

:D
Lancasterclaret wrote:Its not a inescapable backstop.

EU has no interest in allowing NI to be in the privileged position in would be any longer than it has to be.


Not even some sort of fish based reason? :)
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

# 31
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 13251
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4461 times
Has Liked: 2393 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:57 pm

NO FISH BASED REASONS!

NONE WHATSOEVER.

# 32
Colburn_Claret
Posts: 3143
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:30 pm
Been Liked: 1255 times
Has Liked: 1725 times
Location: Catterick N.Yorks

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Colburn_Claret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:36 pm

scrambledclaret wrote:So if I've understood you correctly (I can't be sure honestly) it's bad for everyone involved therfore it's a good thing? I'm all for being solution focused but that's pushing it.

I didn't say that, or definitely not in those terms, but if I understand you rightly, any deal that favours one side over the other is bad.
In order to achieve a deal there needs to be compromises made.if the EU got a deal it was happy with, and they would spunk themselves if we accepted their offer, because there would be no compromise. Why would they.
The same is true of any deal that favours us, I know that isn't going to happen, because in the same vane, why would we want to compromise on a deal that we were happy with.
At least with a No Deal although it harms everyone, it leaves us in a position where both sides need to make compromises. That can't be a bad thing compared to the alternatives.

# 33
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 13251
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4461 times
Has Liked: 2393 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:43 pm

Its easy to write that if you haven't looked at anything that might suggest that it hits us more than it hits them, with the greatest possible respect.

# 34
martin_p
Posts: 3289
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:40 pm
Been Liked: 1226 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby martin_p » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:The problem here is you and so many like you are always looking for the obstacles, instead of looking for the solutions. It's a mind set that all successful people employ.


There’s plenty of solutions is the rabid Brexiteers would compromise. A customs union would solve the problem for example.

Another solution would be to abandon the whole sorry thing and stay as we are, although I accept that’s a compromise to far for Brexiteers, even the reasonable ones :D

# 35
Jakubclaret
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:47 pm
Been Liked: 183 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:49 pm

I read a article on here via a link somebody had posted suggesting we are not even negotiating which I suspect could be true, it's not a bad strategy to deploy because a no deal for the EU would go down like a tonne of s**t, it represents a lack of nowse & wouldn't be in there best interests, we could crack on with the WTO unhindered.

# 36
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 13251
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4461 times
Has Liked: 2393 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:52 pm

Care to run through the benefits of WTO so that we can all see the, er, "sunlit uplands"?

# 37
Jakubclaret
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:47 pm
Been Liked: 183 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:05 pm

Take a look lancs, this become a real possibility I'd do some research before pouring scorn or trying to ridicule.

# 38
Jakubclaret
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:47 pm
Been Liked: 183 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Take a look lancs, this become a real possibility I'd do some research before pouring scorn or trying to ridicule.


https://www.itv.com/news/2019-02-11/wha ... al-brexit/

# 39
martin_p
Posts: 3289
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:40 pm
Been Liked: 1226 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby martin_p » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:19 pm

I don’t understand. Is Jakubclaret arguing with himself now?

# 40
Jakubclaret
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:47 pm
Been Liked: 183 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:14 pm

martin_p wrote:I don’t understand. Is Jakubclaret arguing with himself now?


Not at all mate, I'm trying to reassure lancs everything will be ok & to remain positive.

# 41
CrosspoolClarets
Posts: 1882
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:00 pm
Been Liked: 665 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby CrosspoolClarets » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:15 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Of course there are dozens of small (relatively small) islands that aren't part of the landmass, (one might also include e.g. Majorca, Ibiza, Corsica etc), but like Malta, (an independent country) they have well established arrangements with the rest of Europe, which is essentially the massive "landmass" / trading bloc that I was referring to.
It's interesting that you should mention Cyprus though, since there are parallels here with the island of Ireland. The situation in Cyprus is exactly the one that the EU is committed to avoid. It's one sovereign nation but divided by the "Green Line" separating the two zones, with a not only a hard border, but also a UN controlled demilitarised "buffer zone" to keep peace, and movements of goods and people between the 2 strictly monitored / controlled.
The situation in Cyprus is very complicated, I admit, and it's not the same as Ireland I acknowledge, but the similarities and dangers are clear to see.
This is the "Irish problem" that as yet no one has an answer to.


I agree with that lengthy explanation for Cyprus, but it just goes to show that whilst the Cyprus solution doesn’t work for Ireland the EU does have history of unique, bespoke solutions for one-off circumstances despite claiming that the Irish problem absolutely has to have a hard border solution or a single shared customs territory. That was always a political contrivance that our negotiators astonishingly agreed to. There are always many ways to reduce the financial risk to the EU of the border, jointly agreed stern punishments for individuals smuggling or for companies breaching regulations being one, technology being another.

To be fair, Barnier has spent a lot of time travelling to Ireland and meeting stakeholders, but the logjam has been the EU stubbornly persisting to try to get us into a Customs Union, nothing to do with anything else.

# 42
scrambledclaret
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:14 pm
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby scrambledclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:I didn't say that, or definitely not in those terms, but if I understand you rightly, any deal that favours one side over the other is bad.


No, you did not understand me correctly, I guess we're even.

Colburn_Claret wrote:In order to achieve a deal there needs to be compromises made.if the EU got a deal it was happy with, and they would spunk themselves if we accepted their offer, because there would be no compromise. Why would they.
The same is true of any deal that favours us, I know that isn't going to happen, because in the same vane, why would we want to compromise on a deal that we were happy with.
At least with a No Deal although it harms everyone, it leaves us in a position where both sides need to make compromises. That can't be a bad thing compared to the alternatives.


It sounds increasingly as though I did understand you the first time. Essentially the way you want to fix things is to make them worse first for everyone and then find a compromise that suits both sides but probably won't make things better on the whole for either side. Great plan Baldrick.

# 43
scrambledclaret
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:14 pm
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby scrambledclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:https://www.itv.com/news/2019-02-11/what-are-wto-terms-and-how-will-they-affect-the-uk-in-the-event-of-a-no-deal-brexit/


Thanks for the link. Where's the one with the positive news?
This user liked this post: Greenmile

# 44
Greenmile
Posts: 1703
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:50 pm
Been Liked: 485 times
Has Liked: 1742 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Greenmile » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Businesses still will of course & immigration will come on that basis, part of brexit was about, let's have it on our terms so we are not overwhelmed & we've also got the flexibility to select in terms of numbers & skilled personnel, as opposed to the number 1 destination for migrant workers, the UK should be seen as a destination where hard work is rewarded & the place to enhance ambitions, not a out & out holiday camp which has the same effect to a honey pot & a swarm of bees.


That’s not an answer to Tall Paul’s question. Not even close.

# 45
Jakubclaret
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:47 pm
Been Liked: 183 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:18 pm

scrambledclaret wrote:Thanks for the link. Where's the one with the positive news?


I'm a great believer in thinking positively & positive things will happen, it probably wasn't the best article to promote WTO I was in a rush earlier, I will find a more balanced article about WTO & potential positives, nothing will be short term I can tell you that much now, it's a long term project towards a more equality & quality lifestyle.

# 46
Jakubclaret
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:47 pm
Been Liked: 183 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Greenmile wrote:That’s not an answer to Tall Paul’s question. Not even close.

The only time you will be satisfied with a answer is when the answer given is what you agree with, if you asked me what the capital of England is & I said london, in your mind Birmingham would be the answer, some people are just like that & love drama.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

# 47
TVC15
Posts: 4687
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 1801 times
Has Liked: 268 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby TVC15 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:I'm a great believer in thinking positively & positive things will happen, it probably wasn't the best article to promote WTO I was in a rush earlier, I will find a more balanced article about WTO & potential positives, nothing will be short term I can tell you that much now, it's a long term project towards a more equality & quality lifestyle.


Stiff upper lip and all that....just like those on the Titanic.
Won't be long to wait before that British Empire will be back with positivity like this.

Remake of It Aint Half Hot Mum under discussion at the beeb as we speak.
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

# 48
RingoMcCartney
Posts: 6234
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:45 pm
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 1925 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby RingoMcCartney » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:04 pm

Greenmile wrote:That’s not an answer to Tall Paul’s question. Not even close.


It is.

It's just one you don't agree with .
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

# 49
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 13251
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4461 times
Has Liked: 2393 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:07 pm

Government defeated because they still think that can trust the ERG. They want a No Deal Brexit and it is beyond comprehension that the majority of moderate Conservative MPs do not realise this and still think they can be negotiated with.

# 50
Tall Paul
Posts: 4430
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:07 am
Been Liked: 1561 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Postby Tall Paul » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:10 pm

Greenmile wrote:That’s not an answer to Tall Paul’s question. Not even close.


To be fair, the first part of the first sentence was kind of an answer.

Businesses still will (dictate policy to the government, including immigration policy) of course & immigration will come on that basis


Which begs the question, if businesses will dictate the government's immigration policy to maintain their supply of cheap labour, how will Brexit result in reduced immigration and/or an increase in wages for unskilled workers?
Last edited by Tall Paul on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “The Bee Hole End”