2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
Bordeauxclaret
Posts: 5599
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm
Been Liked: 1765 times
Has Liked: 915 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby Bordeauxclaret » Mon May 13, 2019 8:41 pm

So we had no money after winning at least £60m

How do you think our finances would have been looking without that money?
We were not breaking even with no debts before promotion.

# 2
aggi
Posts: 4508
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am
Been Liked: 1096 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby aggi » Mon May 13, 2019 11:22 pm

Spijed wrote:A couple of points. We didn't have any prem money left when Dyche came, and secondly, he was an out of work manager who'd been sacked by Watford so he wasn't being inundated with other job offers. We offered him a job.


A lot of posters on here should have a look at the accounts on companies house for a dose of reality.

When Dyche came we were still receiving parachute payments.

# 3
Hibsclaret
Posts: 1644
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 463 times
Has Liked: 283 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby Hibsclaret » Mon May 13, 2019 11:30 pm

Not to mention the fact that the premier league history of the club may have helped entice Dyche to us specifically rather than perhaps a Preston type club with no premier league history. God knows if he would have been here at all without the first promotion. Given his notorious attention to detail he may not have even applied for the job.

# 4
jrgbfc
Posts: 2845
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 703 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby jrgbfc » Tue May 14, 2019 12:56 am

Spijed wrote:A couple of points. We didn't have any prem money left when Dyche came, and secondly, he was an out of work manager who'd been sacked by Watford so he wasn't being inundated with other job offers. We offered him a job.


But surely our parachute payments helped Eddie Howe sign the likes of Shackell? Who was a massive part of our success under Dyche.

# 5
Fretters
Posts: 1085
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:56 am
Been Liked: 554 times
Has Liked: 305 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby Fretters » Tue May 14, 2019 5:38 am

The only reason Howe left his beloved Bournemouth to come here was that we'd just been in the PL. I think Crystal Palace had just been in for him and he turned them down despite it being more local to him.

So without the 2009 promotion there would have been no Howe. And without Howe, there would have been no Shackell, Trippier, Ings or Vokes, all vital components of the 2013 promotion.

In my view, there'd have been no chance in hell of the 2013 promotion without the 2009 one. I'm not even sure we'd have been in the second tier, just look what happened to Preston after they lost the 2009 play off semi.

# 6
BigRedrose
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:26 pm
Been Liked: 95 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby BigRedrose » Tue May 14, 2019 6:49 am

Just had a quick look through this thread ,so I may have missed it, but where was Robbie Blake?

# 7
Oshkoshclaret
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:18 pm
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 63 times
Location: Dallas, TX & Jefferson, MD
Contact:

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby Oshkoshclaret » Tue May 14, 2019 6:59 am

BigRedrose wrote:Just had a quick look through this thread ,so I may have missed it, but where was Robbie Blake?


Coyle ate him.

# 8
Leisure
Posts: 8129
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:47 pm
Been Liked: 1317 times
Has Liked: 4157 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby Leisure » Tue May 14, 2019 8:51 am

BigRedrose wrote:Just had a quick look through this thread ,so I may have missed it, but where was Robbie Blake?


There was no sight of Robbie and he didn't do a video message either. Very disappointing.

# 9
MACCA
Posts: 10426
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2566 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby MACCA » Tue May 14, 2019 12:49 pm

BigRedrose wrote:Just had a quick look through this thread ,so I may have missed it, but where was Robbie Blake?


He was on the coaching staff st Portsmouth, so will have most probably been up in Sunderland for the playoffs if indeed he's still there.

Not sure on the lack of a video recording, I'm sure he could have spared 2 minutes somewhere leading up to the event.

# 10
paulatky
Posts: 465
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:25 am
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby paulatky » Tue May 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Think Robbie left Portsmouth when Cookie did.
He was managing Bognor Regis Town so perhaps on holiday after the season.
Disappointing he didnt do a video message.

# 11
ClaretAndJew
Posts: 6037
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:08 am
Been Liked: 2037 times
Has Liked: 445 times
Location: Earth

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby ClaretAndJew » Tue May 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Relegated in 2010 with 4 years of parachute payments but no Coyle getting us promoted had no impact on Dyche and the money for signings.

# 12
2 Bee Holed
Posts: 851
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:37 am
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 14 times
Location: South Manchester

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby 2 Bee Holed » Tue May 14, 2019 7:53 pm

Oshkoshclaret wrote:Coyle ate him.



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

# 13
deanothedino
Posts: 996
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 582 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby deanothedino » Tue May 14, 2019 7:53 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:It would have been a struggle but it was not a forsaken hope.
We had our best performance of the season a few weeks earlier against Arsenal and were very unlucky to only get a point against Bolton at Christmas.

So there it is, both yourself and Lancaster live in a parallel universe where there was a chance in hell that Coyle was keeping us up. :lol:

# 14
Bordeauxclaret
Posts: 5599
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm
Been Liked: 1765 times
Has Liked: 915 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby Bordeauxclaret » Tue May 14, 2019 8:03 pm

Well if you put it like that then yes there was a chance.

It would have been tough there was a chance.

We keep hearing he shouldn’t be forgiven because he ripped the heart out of the club and stole our transfer targets, if we were already down it wouldn’t matter would it?

# 15
deanothedino
Posts: 996
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 582 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby deanothedino » Tue May 14, 2019 8:10 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Well if you put it like that then yes there was a chance.

It would have been tough there was a chance.

We keep hearing he shouldn’t be forgiven because he ripped the heart out of the club and stole our transfer targets, if we were already down it wouldn’t matter would it?

I agree, it doesn't matter. I'm long over him leaving because when you look at it without emotion it was clear it didn't change our season's outcome.

# 16
claretblue
Posts: 4017
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:36 pm
Been Liked: 1107 times
Has Liked: 783 times
Location: cloud 9 since Dyche appointed

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby claretblue » Tue May 14, 2019 9:15 pm

deanothedino wrote:So there it is, both yourself and Lancaster live in a parallel universe where there was a chance in hell that Coyle was keeping us up. :lol:


here's another one that thinks we would have stayed up had God remained!

Home draws with Aston Villa, Arsenal + Bolton were all very winnable and think we would have collected more points in 2010 to keep us up!

UTC! :D

# 17
chipbutty
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 11:44 pm
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby chipbutty » Thu May 16, 2019 12:13 am

ClaretTony wrote:You see, I don't agree with that. Whatever was achieved when we went up in 2009 was all gone in no time. We'd no money left by 2013 and were sliding down with players having to be sold. So there is no bigger picture for me, what we are achieving now has nothing to do with that at all, that came and, through a lot of bad management, went.

Both you and I know that we would have had no money left at all if we had not gone up in 2009, as the directors called their money in,

# 18
chipbutty
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 11:44 pm
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby chipbutty » Thu May 16, 2019 12:18 am

ClaretTony wrote:No I can’t see. I can’t see how it would have been worse. This is no pointing the finger at Coyle or anyone but I find it staggering to believe what we are achieving now is in any way partly due to that 2009 promotion.

So how would our first foray into the Premier league not help future promotions?

# 19
cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 16001
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6240 times
Has Liked: 8931 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 16, 2019 8:38 am

deanothedino wrote:We were on a massive downward curve. We had won in ages, and didn't particularly look like winning either. I think anyone who thinks he'd have kept us up is being fanciful.

You mean like some of the runs we had this season under dyche?
This user liked this post: Lonsdaleclarets

# 20
cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 16001
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6240 times
Has Liked: 8931 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 16, 2019 8:47 am

Fretters wrote:The only reason Howe left his beloved Bournemouth to come here was that we'd just been in the PL. I think Crystal Palace had just been in for him and he turned them down despite it being more local to him.

So without the 2009 promotion there would have been no Howe. And without Howe, there would have been no Shackell, Trippier, Ings or Vokes, all vital components of the 2013 promotion.

In my view, there'd have been no chance in hell of the 2013 promotion without the 2009 one. I'm not even sure we'd have been in the second tier, just look what happened to Preston after they lost the 2009 play off semi.


The top six that season was

Wolves
Birmingham
Sheff Utd
Reading
Burnley
Preston

4 of them went down to league 1 not long after. Reading never did but werent far above doing so this season.

Theres no question we wouldve. We were in a financial mess. And had nowhere near the backing they had.

# 21
deanothedino
Posts: 996
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 582 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby deanothedino » Thu May 16, 2019 10:27 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:You mean like some of the runs we had this season under dyche?

Not really. Dyche had a side that had a proven season in the PL. Players with far more quality than those we had under Coyle. Once the magic motivation wore off, we were never going to stay up.

# 22
claretonthecoast1882
Posts: 1887
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Been Liked: 944 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby claretonthecoast1882 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 am

Did anyone wear their Coyle face mask to the dinner, seems a few are still holding theirs

# 23
Devils_Advocate
Posts: 4298
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:43 pm
Been Liked: 1484 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby Devils_Advocate » Thu May 16, 2019 11:17 am

deanothedino wrote:Not really. Dyche had a side that had a proven season in the PL. Players with far more quality than those we had under Coyle. Once the magic motivation wore off, we were never going to stay up.

Coyle got 20 pts in 20 games and his bad run saw 5 draws and 4 defeats
In the first season Dyche kept us up we had 17 points in 20 games and had a run where we got 4 points in 10 games. Even his last 8 games up to the same point as Coyle left he had got 7 pts in 8 games so not that much different

By your logic we should have given up on Burnley staying up under Dyche given the position we were in at the half way stage and some of the runs of results we had.

I think we'd have stayed up under Coyle but I don't think we'd have built a foundation to stay up consistently like we have under Dyche and would fallen away quickly a bit like what happened at Bolton.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

# 24
deanothedino
Posts: 996
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 582 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby deanothedino » Thu May 16, 2019 12:43 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Coyle got 20 pts in 20 games and his bad run saw 5 draws and 4 defeats
In the first season Dyche kept us up we had 17 points in 20 games and had a run where we got 4 points in 10 games. Even his last 8 games up to the same point as Coyle left he had got 7 pts in 8 games so not that much different

By your logic we should have given up on Burnley staying up under Dyche given the position we were in at the half way stage and some of the runs of results we had.

I think we'd have stayed up under Coyle but I don't think we'd have built a foundation to stay up consistently like we have under Dyche and would fallen away quickly a bit like what happened at Bolton.

You didn't actually read what I said did you?

Players with far more quality than those we had under Coyle.

# 25
Devils_Advocate
Posts: 4298
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:43 pm
Been Liked: 1484 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby Devils_Advocate » Thu May 16, 2019 1:28 pm

deanothedino wrote:You didn't actually read what I said did you?

Players with far more quality than those we had under Coyle.


Fair enough I guess Coyle must have just been a superb manager to get more points with less quality than Dyche managed. Makes you wonder with him being that good that he'd have probably continued to achieve more with less and match Dyche in keeping Burnley up

# 26
Goobs
Posts: 2916
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:43 am
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 674 times
Location: Burnley

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby Goobs » Thu May 16, 2019 4:55 pm

BigRedrose wrote:Just had a quick look through this thread ,so I may have missed it, but where was Robbie Blake?

He got a better offer and jumped at it.

# 27
deanothedino
Posts: 996
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 582 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Postby deanothedino » Thu May 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Fair enough I guess Coyle must have just been a superb manager to get more points with less quality than Dyche managed. Makes you wonder with him being that good that he'd have probably continued to achieve more with less and match Dyche in keeping Burnley up

Okay, so you didn't read the rest either...
Once the magic motivation wore off


Return to “The Bee Hole End”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSN [Bot], MT03ALG and 116 guests