Poker

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
FactualFrank
Posts: 20453
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5680 times
Has Liked: 9675 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Poker

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:36 pm

DustyBawls wrote:Not learned a single thing reading this thread. You're all rubbish.
Apart from me - I agree!

DustyBawls
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:22 am
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Re: Poker

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Apart from me - I agree!
Well youve talked the most sense and I know you were good back in 2007 so yeah. I wouldnt be worried about playing against anybody on here if I were you.
Last edited by DustyBawls on Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hibsclaret
Posts: 2384
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 683 times
Has Liked: 394 times

Re: Poker

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:41 pm

Reckon westmids and IT might quite like to play FF if he’s pushing sets on the flop.... :o

FactualFrank
Posts: 20453
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5680 times
Has Liked: 9675 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Poker

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:44 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Reckon westmids and IT might quite like to play FF if he’s pushing sets on the flop.... :o
Blimey - you really don't like me, do you?

I know I'm a good player and more than happy to play anybody on this thread. More than happy.

But what would happen is myself and westmids would have a laugh, regardless.

DustyBawls
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:22 am
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Re: Poker

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:52 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Reckon westmids and IT might quite like to play FF if he’s pushing sets on the flop.... :o
Have you bin drinking?

taio
Posts: 5813
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 am
Been Liked: 1703 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Re: Poker

Post by taio » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:53 pm

As has been said by others in the past FF and DB (the latter account created when the former account was temporarily banned) are the same person which makes this thread really funny.
This user liked this post: Hibsclaret

Hibsclaret
Posts: 2384
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 683 times
Has Liked: 394 times

Re: Poker

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:54 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Blimey - you really don't like me, do you?

I know I'm a good player and more than happy to play anybody on this thread. More than happy.

But what would happen is myself and westmids would have a laugh, regardless.
Que. why would I not like anyone I have never met. You seem great....

FactualFrank
Posts: 20453
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5680 times
Has Liked: 9675 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Poker

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:56 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Que. why would I not like anyone I have never met. You seem great....
Cool. As you're new to poker, we'll have to meet at a game sometime.

By the way - the thread was created to invite Burnley fans to have some bants and play poker. You're aware of that, yeah?

DustyBawls
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:22 am
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Re: Poker

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:00 pm

WSOP watching online but they show the card under the table

Swizzlestick
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:40 pm
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 175 times

Re: Poker

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:05 pm

DustyBawls wrote:Well youve talked the most sense and I know you were good back in 2007 so yeah. I wouldnt be worried about playing against anybody on here if I were you.
Are you...talking to yourself?
This user liked this post: tim_noone

burnleymik
Posts: 2314
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:00 pm
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 1941 times

Re: Poker

Post by burnleymik » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:21 pm

Used to grind Pokerstars, Microgaming and FullTilt back in the hayday, mainly 6-max cash and some full-ring. Poker used to pay for most of our holidays and Xmas's. Then regulation started setting in and some of the best countries, with the most fish, were ring-fenced. The casual Americans were always good for making money off and in my experience so were the French.

Eventually it became an ever-increasingly difficult grind, finding edges was very difficult, with everyone hunting the tables with the 'fish'.

Played some tourneys and did okay, but never took down any really big scores.

Not really played in a few years now. I do miss it every now and then and think about re-installing pokerstars, but then never do.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

DustyBawls
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:22 am
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Re: Poker

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:24 pm

Am I still allowed to post? I'm thinking crime. It wasn't me it was Frank!

Damo
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:04 pm
Been Liked: 1513 times
Has Liked: 2313 times

Re: Poker

Post by Damo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:29 pm

:lol:
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

FactualFrank
Posts: 20453
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5680 times
Has Liked: 9675 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Poker

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:36 pm

burnleymik wrote:Used to grind Pokerstars, Microgaming and FullTilt back in the hayday, mainly 6-max cash and some full-ring. Poker used to pay for most of our holidays and Xmas's. Then regulation started setting in and some of the best countries, with the most fish, were ring-fenced. The casual Americans were always good for making money off and in my experience so were the French.

Eventually it became an ever-increasingly difficult grind, finding edges was very difficult, with everyone hunting the tables with the 'fish'.

Played some tourneys and did okay, but never took down any really big scores.

Not really played in a few years now. I do miss it every now and then and think about re-installing pokerstars, but then never do.
You'll always come across people as thick as a duck pluckers wick (see thread), but if you treat it as a laugh, it's a great social game.

Thinking of getting back involved?

burnleymik
Posts: 2314
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:00 pm
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 1941 times

Re: Poker

Post by burnleymik » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:41 pm

Just downloaded Stars, gonna stick £20 and play a few fun sit n go's :)

FactualFrank
Posts: 20453
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5680 times
Has Liked: 9675 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Poker

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:52 pm

burnleymik wrote:Just downloaded Stars, gonna stick £20 and play a few fun sit n go's :)
Good luck pal. Bump the post and let me know you get on.

taio
Posts: 5813
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 am
Been Liked: 1703 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Re: Poker

Post by taio » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:01 am

Swizzlestick wrote:Are you...talking to yourself?
It's hilarious reading the exchange between FF and DB knowing they are the same person i.e. mucacho. It really is desperate stuff using a second account to (self) praise what he is saying using his primary account. It's late now but when I have a spare minute I'm sure it will be easy to find other examples of DB backing up FF :lol: :lol: :lol:

FactualFrank
Posts: 20453
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5680 times
Has Liked: 9675 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Poker

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:44 am

taio wrote:It's hilarious reading the exchange between FF and DB knowing they are the same person i.e. mucacho. It really is desperate stuff using a second account to (self) praise what he is saying using his primary account. It's late now but when I have a spare minute I'm sure it will be easy to find other examples of DB backing up FF :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do you not think it's more desperate saying things online that you'd be scared to say offline?

taio
Posts: 5813
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 am
Been Liked: 1703 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Re: Poker

Post by taio » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:48 am

FactualFrank wrote:Do you not think it's more desperate saying things online that you'd be scared to say offline?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It gets better every time you post.

By the way:
DustyBawls wrote:Spot on.

Edit: That was in reply to Frank's post.

FactualFrank
Posts: 20453
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5680 times
Has Liked: 9675 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Poker

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:13 am

taio wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
Stop trolling a thread about a game you don't know the rules to. Way above your station young man.

Swizzlestick
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:40 pm
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 175 times

Re: Poker

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:42 am

You don’t either by the sounds of it.
This user liked this post: Hibsclaret

Devils_Advocate
Posts: 6622
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:43 pm
Been Liked: 2563 times
Has Liked: 489 times

Re: Poker

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:17 am

FF sounds one of those girls at a football match who's learnt the offside rule, some basic tactics and info about all the players. On the surface they sound like they know what they are talking about but after about 5 mins you can tell they are clueless really and are just regurgitating facts and cliché's
This user liked this post: Hibsclaret

Imploding Turtle
Posts: 20121
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5482 times
Has Liked: 2540 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: Poker

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:29 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:FF sounds one of those girls at a football match who's learnt the offside rule, some basic tactics and info about all the players. On the surface they sound like they know what they are talking about but after about 5 mins you can tell they are clueless really and are just regurgitating facts and cliché's
There's a word for that; dilettante.

Hibsclaret
Posts: 2384
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 683 times
Has Liked: 394 times

Re: Poker

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:35 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:FF sounds one of those girls at a football match who's learnt the offside rule, some basic tactics and info about all the players. On the surface they sound like they know what they are talking about but after about 5 mins you can tell they are clueless really and are just regurgitating facts and cliché's
Not sure it took quite 5 mins...

Tall Paul
Posts: 5524
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:07 am
Been Liked: 2010 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Re: Poker

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:42 pm

But Frank finishes in the top 3 of 9/10 man SnGs over 80% of the time.

With stats like that he's clearly the greatest player that's ever lived.

Damo
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:04 pm
Been Liked: 1513 times
Has Liked: 2313 times

Re: Poker

Post by Damo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:58 pm

Tall Paul wrote:But Frank finishes in the top 3 of 9/10 man SnGs over 80% of the time.

With stats like that he's clearly the greatest player that's ever lived.
Yeah but most of the other players are his other profiles

burnleymik
Posts: 2314
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:00 pm
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 1941 times

Re: Poker

Post by burnleymik » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:22 pm

DO they still run the clubs on pokerstars? Maybe set one up for a friendly weekly game? Seems a few people can play...

SammyBoy
Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:41 pm
Been Liked: 377 times
Has Liked: 343 times
Location: Sector 7G

Re: Poker

Post by SammyBoy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:43 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I meant on the table. When it comes down to heads-up, an awful lot depends on luck - you play the hands, unless you see the tells. I stand by what I said, and win a lot. But everybody is different and play different ways.
Would have to disagree, in heads up the actual hands lose a lot of their significance and you're almost entirely playing the man (or woman) not the cards.

claretrobo1
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:11 am
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Re: Poker

Post by claretrobo1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:46 pm

A mate at college taught me poker last year. Taught me the basic rules, then self taught myself strategy by watching YouTube clips of Negreanu etc. You’ll never master the game, it’s experience that helps you improve and just playing a lot of hands. It’s a great social game. I went round a mates house with six of us and just had a laugh one evening whilst playing. Good stuff

Tall Paul
Posts: 5524
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:07 am
Been Liked: 2010 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Re: Poker

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:48 pm

burnleymik wrote:DO they still run the clubs on pokerstars? Maybe set one up for a friendly weekly game? Seems a few people can play...
I stopped playing much on Pokerstars when they sneakily increased the rake on low stakes tournaments a year or two ago.

SammyBoy
Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:41 pm
Been Liked: 377 times
Has Liked: 343 times
Location: Sector 7G

Re: Poker

Post by SammyBoy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:14 pm

I played a lot for about 5 years, regular home games with mates and countless hours online, I'd say I probably broke even overall. I eventually got bored of the constant grind and tried different hobbies so it's been at least 2 years since I've played a hand, but I would like to take it up again. I think in future I'd just play recreationally at the casino or down the pub as online is very difficult to beat, gone are the days when you could turn up knowing a little bit and have an edge.

Post Reply