Share this page :

Burnley are through to the quarter finals of the Lancashire Senior Cup having beating Fleetwood Town 5-4 on penalties this afternoon following a disappointing game that had ended 0-0.

It was a ninety minutes from which there wasn’t too much to report with neither side really threatening too often. It proved to be a game that never really flowed and with too many free kicks to allow it to.

There was little to enthuse the crowd in the first half although we were dominating possession. Other than a couple of shots off target there was precious little for either goalkeeper to over concern himself with.

Lukas Jensen saved two penalties in the shoot out
Lukas Jensen saved two penalties in the shoot out

The game switched at times in the second half with Fleetwood coming more into it. They did force our Danish goalkeeper into one save and fired one shot that hit the base of the goal stanchion. At the other end, we played too many hopeful balls up for two 16-year-old strikers and that resulted in the visiting goalkeeper having very little to do.

The one big positive was seeing Mace Goodridge back in action. He played a few minutes as a substitute ten days ago at Charlton but today played the first hour as he continues his comeback from an anterior cruciate ligament injury.

The one concern in the second half was seeing Fleetwood bring on former Burnley youth team player Michael Fowler. Given his goalscoring record, it would have been no surprise to see him come on and score the winning goal. As it happened, he didn’t get an opportunity.

When the referee blew for full time it was 0-0 and that took us to a penalty shoot out where we had a real useful weapon in our armoury, a Danish goalkeeper by the name of Jensen and we can all recall several saves the previous keeper of that name made in shoot outs.

We went first and Joe McGlynn scored before Jensen saved Fleetwood’s first spot kick. Ali Koiki, fresh from scoring two penalties in his hat trick against Ipswich, made it 2-0 before Fleetwood scored. Jordan Cropper then saw his penalty saved and when Fleetwood netted again it was 2-2.

Further goals from both sides, Anthony Glennon and Ryan Cooney for us and two for Fleetwood, including one from Fowler, took it to 4-4 after five penalties each and so to sudden death. Tunde Bayode scored for us but our new goalkeeper Lukas Jensen made another smart save to deny Fleetwood and help send us through to a quarter final against AFC Fylde.

The teams were;

Burnley: Lukas Jensen, Jordan Cropper, Scott Wilson, Anthony Glennon, Ali Koiki, Rhys Fenlon (Lewis Richardson ht), Mace Goodridge (Christian N’Guessan 60), Josh Benson (Ryan Cooney 69), Ne-Jai Tucker, Joe McGlynn, Tunde Bayode. Subs not used: George McMahon, Matty Rain.

Fleetwood: James Cottam, Laurence Smith, James Hill, Harrison Holgate, Ryan Rydel, Barry Baggley (Michael Fowler 82), Jay Matete, Nathan Sheron, Dan Mooney, Ged Garner (Josh Morris 75), Harvey Saunders. Subs not used: Scott Pengelly, Liam Goldsbrough, Sam O’Halleron.

Share this page :

Follow UpTheClarets: