Share this page :

Football seems to have a habit of early reunions, so it was probably no surprise when the League Cup draw paired us with Bury, the club from whom just weeks earlier Stan Ternent had left to replace Chris Waddle as Burnley manager.

It was a week when old soldiers were organising a march on the Town Hall in protest at the planned closure of Whiteacres Home for the Elderly, the only all-male home in the country. They set wheels in motion for the protest after being told by County Councillors Tony Martin and Irene Roberts that they would be backing the recommendations for the home to be closed.

Geoff Dixon, whose uncle Jack Calderwood was a resident, demanded the resignation of Martin who claimed he had no idea of any future plans for the home. He just said that this sort of home was closing and that all of them across the country would close in future years. The residents vowed to continue their fight, backed by rebel councillors Harry Brooks and Gordon Birtwistle.

A 24-year-old man found himself in court on a charge of having sexually assaulted a six-year-old girl. Judge Raymond Bennett told the accused Gary Kimm that people who behaved in the way that he did could expect to go to prison. The judge then added that, given Kimm had no previous convictions, had assaulted the child just once and admitted it, a prison sentence would offer no benefit. “What should I tell my daughter?” the victim’s mother shouted as Kimm was given nothing more than a period of probation.

However, one man wasn’t quite so fortunate. Neil Gilrow had been given community service having previously been found guilty of house breaking. One day, he opted to go to work rather than carry out his hours in the community. That landed him back in court where he received a nine month prison sentence.

Plans for a new bus station in Burnley were set to go before the council. Those plans would see the run down station replaced with a more modern building including information and waiting facilities, disabled access and links with the town centre. The company involved were Modus Properties and their spokesman said: “We are still talking to the council about making a start early next year. When the application goes before the council, we are hoping that they will have been sufficiently informed beforehand and it will be cleared without any problem.”

Glory Years, a sport and leisurewear company set up by former Burnley manager Frank Casper and marketing manager Joyce Pickles in 1991, had been sold to Stockport based SEET/Banner in a deal worth £140,000. The company were kit suppliers to a number of Football League clubs and that would continue under the Superleague name. The company would also remain at its Albert Street base in Burnley with Mrs Pickles taking up the role of sales director and Casper becoming commercial director. Mrs Pickles, on behalf of the company, said: “We are very proud of how quickly the business has grown and it will expand further with the buy-out. Hopefully, we will be able to create more job opportunities as the business continues to flourish.”

Andy Cooke celebrates his equaliser

So, off to Gigg Lane, and because of our manager’s work there we were very much going into this cup tie as underdogs. Ternent had taken them up two divisions and left after keeping them in Division One in the previous season.

We went into the game without injured pair Mark Ford and Andy Payton and there was a debut for Tony Parks in goal with West Brom not giving permission for loan goalkeeper Paul Crichton to play.

The first half appeared to be going with form as Bury looked the better of the two with Neil Warnock’s side winning a lot of free kicks which allowed them to put us under pressure too often, but when they took the lead, the goal was gift wrapped by the Clarets.

Dean Barrick played a long ball for Andy Preece to flick on but with Chris Brass and Steve Morgan failing to deal with the danger, it allowed Rob MATTHEWS to wriggle through and fire a low shot past Parks.

If that was a gift, then our equaliser just before the half hour definitely was. Steve Redmond headed the ball back to Dean Kiely but the goalkeeper hesitated and Andy COOKE nipped in and finished superbly.

Bury got their grip back on the game and we were somewhat fortunate to go in at the break still level at 1-1. We looked concerningly fragile at the back and offered little on the ball in midfield, but we hung on, Ternent had a half time word, and the second half was much, much better. Glen Little started to pull the strings. He set up Ronnie Jepson who forced a good save out of Kiely and then we had the clearest of penalties refused when Andy Woodward brought down Cooke.

But this was the sort of Burnley team that we wanted to see. By the final whistle we were very much worth the 1-1 draw which had set us up for the second leg very nicely. There had been some good individual performances too within the team performance – none more so than Little and Steve Morgan who was beginning to look like a very astute signing.

The teams were;

Bury: Dean Kiely, Andy Woodward, Dean Barrick, Nicky Daws, Chris Lucketti, Steve Redmond, Chris Swailes, Tony Ellis (Tony Rigby 66, Gordon Armstrong 77), Rob Matthews (Laurent D’Jaffo 74), Lenny Johnrose, Andy Preece. Subs not used: Kevin Blackwell, Mark Patterson.

Burnley: Tony Parks, Chris Brass, Steve Blatherwick, Lee Howey, Steve Morgan, Glen Little, Carl Smith, Michael Williams (Neil Moore ht), Paul Smith, Andy Cooke (Colin Carr-Lawton 84), Ronnie Jepson (Kevin Henderson 84). Sub not used: Craig Mawson.

Referee: George Cain (Bootle).

Attendance: 3,927.

There were a number of goalscorers in the first leg ties who had or would have Burnley connections. The only one who had previously been at Burnley was Mike Conroy who scored the only goal in Blackpool’s 1-0 home win against Lincoln. There were goals too for future Clarets Ian Moore (Stockport), Gareth Taylor (Sheffield United), Ade Akinbiyi (Bristol City) and Graham Alexander (Luton). Both Akinbiyi and Alexander scored twice and, predictably, both of Alexander’s goals in Luton’s 3-2 defeat against Oxford were from the penalty spot.

Simon Weatherstone, who was our development squad coach in the Eddie Howe era at Turf Moor, scored in that game for Oxford and Howe himself was on the scoresheet in Bournemouth’s 2-0 win against Colchester. There was just one more; current assistant manager Craig Bellamy scored in Norwich’s 1-1 draw at Swansea.

League Cup 1st round 1st Leg Results

Tuesday 11th August
Barnet 2 Wolves 1
Birmingham 2 Millwall 0
Blackpool 1 Scunthorpe 0
Bolton 1 Hartlepool 0
Bournemouth 2 Colchester 0
Bradford City 1 Lincoln 1
Bristol City 4 Shrewsbury 0
Bury 1 Burnley 1
Cambridge 1 Watford 0
Exeter 1 Ipswich 1
Fulham 2 Cardiff 1
Huddersfield 3 Mansfield 2
Leyton Orient 1 Bristol Rovers 1
Luton 2 Oxford 3
Macclesfield 3 Stoke 1
Northampton 2 Brighton 1
Notts County 0 Manchester City 2
Oldham 3 Crewe 2
Peterborough 1 Reading 1
Plymouth 1 Portsmouth 3
Port Vale 1 Chester 2
Rotherham 0 Chesterfield 1
Sheffield United 3 Darlington 1
Southend 1 Gillingham 0
Stockport 2 Hull 2
Swansea 1 Norwich 1
Torquay 1 Crystal Palace 1
Tranmere 3 Carlisle 0
Walsall 0 QPR 0
West Brom 2 Brentford 1
Wigan 1 Rochdale 0
Wrexham 0 Halifax 2
York 0 Sunderland 2

Wednesday 12th August
Grimsby 0 Preston 0
Scarborough 0 Barnsley 1
Swindon 2 Wycombe 1

Follow UpTheClarets:

Share this page :