Share this page :

The under-21s recorded a third successive win in the Professional Development League with a 3-1 victory this afternoon against Bournemouth as the north v south games kicked off.

On a bitterly cold afternoon in the Bob Lord stand, we were soon in front, added a second before the game was a quarter of the way through before conceding just a few minutes before half time. It remained at 2-1 until deep into stoppage time when we ensured victory with a third goal.

It was Renaldo Torraj (pictured) who opened the scoring with a close range header in only the second minute of the game having been set up by Tom Tweedy and the two player swapped roles in the twentieth minute with Tweedy this time heading home from Torraj.

Things were looking good and for some time we remained very much on top but unable to add to those opening goals which allowed Bournemouth back into the game and they took their chance with a header from defender Max Kinsey just five minutes from the break.

A goal up at half time, we had our chances to wrap up the points during the second half but failed to take them. But we then came under some pressure from the visitors who were looking for the points themselves to move towards the top two in their league.

More than once we could have gone two goals clear again but there were many occasions when we could have been pegged back. Charlie Casper made a couple of very good saves and I thought we defended our box really well, winning a lot of important headers.

We reached the ninety minutes with our lead intact but there was still work to be done. Alex Healy-Byrne did well to win a ball and get it away for a Bournemouth corner. So keen were they to force a draw that they sent up goalkeeper Callan McKenna and that proved their downfall.

With the referee looking at his watch, we got the corner away and up the pitch to Vernon Masara. He got past a defender who did all he could to haul down Masara. The referee saw him go clear and it was just a matter of running forward and sticking the ball into the empty net with the goalkeeper unable to get back. Masara did just that to net for the fourth successive Professional Development League game, which included the hat trick at Crewe four days ago.

That was it, the game was won, and we move that bit closer to those teams above us having won another of our games in hand.

The teams were;

Burnley: Charlie Casper, Alex Healy-Byrne, Logan Pye (Joe Ashton ht), Benn Ward, Brad Grant, Will Hugill, Joe Bevan (Michael Parker 82), Tommy McDermott (Mikey O’Neill 71), Tom Tweedy, Renaldo Torraj (Trialist ht), Vernon Masara. Sub not used: Harry Moss.

Bournemouth: Callan McKenna, Finn Tonks, Charlie Osborne (Baylin Johnson 61), Lewis Brown, Max Kinsey, Archie Harris, Toure Williams (Karlos Gregory 84), Dominic Sadi, Daniel Adu-Adjei, Balraj Landa, Kian Tydeman (Ash Clarke 74). Subs not used: Mack Allan, Ollie Eagle.

Follow UpTheClarets:

Share this page :