Share this page :

Burnley are in the last eight of the Premier League Cup after beating Leicester City 1-0 this afternoon at a blustery Gawthorpe with a second half goal from Dan Agyei.

This was another opportunity to play competitively against a Category 1 team after four games in the group stages against Liverpool and West Brom which brought us a win and three draws. It proved to be a tough game for us but one that we came through with the win which I think, in the end, was fully deserved.

1819 burnley dan agyei 00 500x500Leicester looked a strong side and started the game well, forcing two good saves from Adam Legzdins along with some good all round defending. We even overcame losing Oliver Younger to an injury with less than 22 minutes gone; his replacement Scott Wilson was to play his part.

As the first half progressed, we came more and more into the game and went the closest to scoring when Agyei headed a Tunde Bayode cross against the bar. We had a couple of half chances to which Leicester were grateful to get clear. But it was goalless at half time with still much to play for.

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first half with Leicester in the ascendancy in the early stages but how well we did defensively with Bobby Thomas and Wilson outstanding in thwarting the opposing forwards again and again.

Again we got a foothold back into things and Steve Stone made two changes, bringing on first Marley Blair and then Lewis Richardson. At the time of the last substitution, I posted on the message board: “Still not much in it. Could go either way.” Within a minute it had gone our way.

Leicester only half cleared a ball to Christian N’Guessan who flicked it forward for Agyei outside and on the right hand corner of the penalty box. He still had a lot to do. He turned and went between two defenders, then past a third before using a fourth to place a shot round and into the corner with his left foot. It was a goal worthy of winning any game, and it did, but there was still a lot of football to be played.

We were put under some pressure from a now frantic Leicester team but we always looked more than capable of scoring a second ourselves. Thomas looked to have scored but the defender got back just in time to hack it clear and Blair was denied by the goalkeeper.

The referee added three and a half minutes on at the end but long before then we’d began to look comfortable. It might have been more than 1-0 in the end, but 1-0 it was and that was enough to take us through to the last eight where we’ve already been joined by Leeds, Nottingham Forest and Newcastle.

The teams were;

Burnley: Adam Legzdins, Jordan Cropper, Bobby Thomas, Oliver Younger (Scott Wilson 22), Anthony Glennon, Tunde Bayode, Christian N’Guessan, Mark Howarth, Tinashe Chakwana (Marley Blair 55), Rob Harker (Lewis Richardson 67), Dan Agyei. Subs not used: Aidan Stone, James Clarke.

Leicester: Max Bramley, Edward Elewa-Ikpakwu, Sam Hughes, Alex Pascanu (Lamine Kaba Sherif 69), Luke Thomas, Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Callum Wright, Khanya Leshabela, Layton Ndukwu (Sidney Tavares 61), Tyrese Shade, Ryan Loft. Subs not used: Tobias Viktor Johansson, Justin Kranthove.

Share this page :

Follow UpTheClarets: