Share this page :

The under-23s made it four wins out of four in Premier League 2 last night with a 3-2 victory against West Bromwich Albion at Leyland, reversing the result from the away game against them back at the start of the season.

As was the case then, it was a game that saw the home team lead 3-0 before the visitors netted twice although in the away game, both our goals came in stoppage time whereas last night West Brom had pulled it back to 3-2 with just ten minutes of the second half gone.

With interim coach Michael Jackson missing following the news earlier in the day of Sean Dyche’s dismissal, Andy Farrell took charge. We kicked off last night with the same eleven who had started the game at Accrington in the Lancashire Senior Cup but it took us a while to get going and that wasn’t helped when Rob Harker, who has had such an injury hit season, was forced off early in the game and replaced by Joe McGlynn.

It all changed on the half hour when we went in front through Max Thompson (pictured). Ben Woods got down the left hand side and found Dara Costelloe who pulled the ball back into the box. It was touched on by McGlynn for Thompson who saw his left shot saved well by the Baggies’ goalkeeper but he was quickly onto the rebound and made no mistake with a right footer.

That really changed things. We looked as though we should have had a penalty for handball which was waved away but we quickly doubled the lead. West Brom couldn’t clear a corner from the left and we worked it well on the right hand side. It was picked up by Mark Helm and his ball in was converted well by Costelloe.

There were just five minutes of the half remaining but we weren’t finished and just two or three minutes later we scored a third. It was Woods again down the left. This time he got in the cross that Costelloe chested on for Thompson to get his second and his sixth league goal of the season.

It all looked comfortable at half time but West Brom had a shock for us early in the second half when they scored twice in four minutes to change the whole game although, yet again, I was amazed we weren’t awarded a penalty before they did get those two goals.

West Brom had hit the bar right at the start of the second half but their first goal came six minutes in. They won a hotly disputed throw on the left. The long throw was only half dealt with and was picked up by Jamie Andrews right on the 18-yard line and his right foot shot beat the unsighted Lukas Jensen.

Soon after it as 3-2 when Rico Richards headed home a Tom Fellows cross and suddenly what looked as though it would be an easy win had become a contest.

West Brom pushed for a third and equalising goal but we eventually saw off the threat and while never looking as though we’d pull away again, we looked relatively comfortable, but there were big chances to come late in the day.

Substitute Anthony Gomez Mancini looked almost certain to score as the clock moved towards ninety minutes but failed to get close to the target. That took us into five minutes of stoppage time during which Jensen denied them an equaliser with a good save before Mark Helm blazed over for us with a good chance. And right on time, the West Brom keeper made a very good save to deny Ne-Jai Tucker.

It had been another good game with Burnley deserving of the three points to make it four league wins from four with three games still to be played in Premier League 2.

The teams were;

Burnley: Lukas Jensen, Finlay Armstrong, Dan Sassi, Richard Nartey, Owen Dodgson, Max Thompson (Anthony Gomez Mancini 78), Mark Helm, Ben Woods, Ne-Jai Tucker, Dara Costelloe, Rob Harker (Joe McGlynn 14). Subs not used: Lewis Thomas, Jake Rooney, Benn Ward.

West Brom: Trialist, Zachary Ashworth, Caleb Taylor, Cianole Nguepissi, Ethan Ingram, Josh Shaw (Mat Richards 77), Trialist (Aurio Teixeira 57), Jamie Andrews, Tom Fellows, Mo Faal, Rico Richards (Quevin de Castro 71). Subs not used: Ben Cisse, Jovan Malcolm.

Follow UpTheClarets:

Share this page :