Share this page :

The PA announcer summed it all up tonight at the final whistle. He congratulated the Curzon Ashton youth team on winning through six rounds of the FA Youth Cup and then admitted tonight had been a game too far from the non-league side after we’d beaten them 5-0 at the Tameside Stadium.

For one reason or another I haven’t seen as much of our youth team this season as I’ve done in previous seasons but it has so far been a season of mixed results with six wins and six defeats in the U18 Professional Development League.

Even so, a tie against a non-league club leaves you clear favourites to go through although at the back of my mind was that horrible night four seasons ago when we were beaten by the Metropolitan Police at home at the same stage of the competition.

There were no such fears tonight as we dominated the game from start to finish and might have had more than the five goals as we comfortably booked our place in the 4th round and a trip to Field Mill to take on Mansfield Town.

Lewis Richardson, in particular, and Joe McGlynn (pictured) have featured with the under-23s this season but both were in the team tonight as Tony Philliskirk named a strong team with the pair up front and both played their part in the goals that gave us a 2-0 lead at half time.

The opener came in the 18th minute from the penalty spot. Richardson burst into the home box but was upended with the referee having the simple decision of pointing to the spot. Rhys Fenlon, who used his pace down the right wing to such effect all night, stepped up to score from the spot.

McGlynn more than played his part in the second eight minutes before half time. Richardson sent him clear down the right and when he played the ball into the box his strike partner had continued his run and finished with a first time shot.

At 1-0 anything can happen. They say 2-0 is a dangerous lead but we’d dominated to such an extent I think this was when the game was all but over and it was a case really of how many we might win by.

Curzon Ashton had their best spell early in the second half and they had a couple of half chances as balls dropped in the box but it was Burnley who scored again on 56 minutes and this time it was captain Cricky Conn-Clarke who got his name on the scoresheet although Richardson was trying to claim it. Conn-Clarke crossed the ball from the left and it appeared to go straight in although Richardson was suggesting he might have got a touch although the captain seems to have been awarded the goal.

Job done, the two strikers were withdrawn on 73 minutes and three minutes later Mitch George, one of the players to come on, scored the fourth with the assist coming from Max Thompson who had come on at the same time. Another substitution followed, Fin Armstrong coming on for Dylan Moonan and almost immediately Ben Woods scored the fifth and final goal with a neat finish from just inside the box.

Coach Tony Philliskirk said the team had handled the occasion well. “Leading up to the game, I did think it was a tie everyone was expecting us to win, so psychologically the lads overcame a big factor there. In the end it did become a very comfortable nigh, especially the last twenty minutes or so, but I thought we ran really hard and it paid off in the end.”

It always looked a potential banana skin but there was no second Metropolitan Police fiasco, more a very professional performance that was us through to the next round on a night when Curzon Ashton too can be very proud of their team’s achievement in the competition this season.

The teams were;

Curzon Ashton: Liam Lovell, Thomas Gemmell, Blerti Jacaj, Cody McCann, Niall Dolan (Brandon Dawson 56), Aaron Grewal, Sean O’Mara, Nnamdi Ehigator, Jack Slan, Luke Bertenshaw (Rhys Owen 62), Keaton Mulvey (Thomas Lord 62). Subs not used: Alfie Edmondson, Xavier Hanley-Watts.

Burnley: Lewis Thomas, Kane Patterson, Jake Rooney, Edon Pruti, Matty Rain, Rhys Fenlon, Dylan Moonan (Fin Armstrong 79), Ben Woods, Cricky Conn-Clarke, Lewis Richardson (Max Thompson 73), Joe McGlynn (Mitch George 73). Subs not used: Sam Waller, Udoka Chima.

Attendance: 363.

Follow UpTheClarets:

Share this page :