Share this page :

It was left until the 80 minute mark before the deadlock was broken, but it kicked off a mini goal rush to give us a 3-0 win against Blackpool today.

On a blustery autumnal morning at Gawthorpe, Burnley and Blackpool played out quite an entertaining encounter, with the Clarets continuing their winning run in league and cup. It was set to be a tough game with Blackpool having only been beaten once this season, and it was quite even for much of the contest, but a late salvo gave us all the points.

The first half hour was quite one sided, with anything of note really going with the Pool attack. In the opening minutes they  saw an effort tipped wide by captain Connor King, but other than that it was really a succession of weaker or poorly placed shots directly at our keeper. We didn’t create too much at all. Around 35 minutes in the visitors had their best chance of the half following a defensive error, but our defence scrambled back well to slam shut the door.

Olatunde Bayode opened the scoring
Olatunde Bayode opened the scoring

There were only minutes left in the half when we finally looked dangerous, with Olatunde Bayode finding acres of space on the right and being fed into the box. He smashed a cross shot goalwards while Tinashe Chakwana had burst through the line, but the force of the ball meant that it struck Chakwana and flashed over the bar with the goal gaping.

Where the 1st half belonged to Blackpool, we certainly had the best of it in the 2nd. We had an early chance. Chakwana surged at the defence and past a couple of people, but was adjudged to have fouled while overpowering the last man – a veritable giant in comparison. We were then perhaps fortunate to retain parity when some defensive slackness let in the visitors, and we were indebted to Scott Wilson who made a goal saving last ditch block.

That really signaled the start of sustained pressure for the Clarets. Bayode had a glorious chance after good work from Tommy Wood. The big man laid the ball off to the flying forward and he dropped his shoulder and wrong footed the whole defence, leaving him clear on goal, but he then blazed over. Wood was then inches from connecting to a Chakwana cross. We then made our first change of the game with Miles Fenton brought on in place of Tyler Shrimpton around 20 minutes into the half.

The first contribution of Fenton was a telling one as he gathered the ball on a break from a Blackpool corner. He fed Chakwana who raced forward, supported by Wood, and covered by one defender. Perhaps he should have looked for his partner but instead opted to go it alone and the keeper was equal to his attempt. Bayode then had an opportunity on another fast break but his shot on the turn was well blocked with enough force to see the forward need a touch of treatment.

With 15 left there was a real flashpoint in the game. McNeil was fouled but nothing was given, and he reacted as many do by getting up and fouling the opponent he felt got off lightly. It led to both players rubbing heads like angry stags along with an accompanying barrage of heated comments from the touchline. The ref ended with a lecture and bookings for both players, as well as an abrupt retort to the suggestions he was getting from the crowd. The real question would be who would react better to the set-to…The answer was that we would.

Within minutes we had taken the lead. McNeil, fresh from the fracas, won the ball, skinned his marker and fed Chakwana down the left. He got into the box and pulled back his cross behind the retreating defence, directly into the path of the advancing Bayode who smashed it home.

A rare Blackpool attack saw them win a free kick in a dangerous central position 25 yards from goal, along with a booking for Mark Haworth. The dead ball was directed towards the top corner but King was equal to it and tipped it over.

5 minutes after the opening goal we sealed the win and Chakwana was again the architect. Down the left again he hit the byline and fired a firm cross over the face of the goal where Wood was on hand to bullet a header in from close range. It was Wood’s last contribution and he was replaced by RJ Pingling.

Within minutes we had made it 3-0 as Pingling slipped Fenton in on the right and he crossed to the far post, finding Chakwana who volleyed in to get his name of the scoresheet too and put the cherry on top of the cake.

Team:- Connor King, Leighton Egan, Ali Koiki, Scott Wilson, James Clarke, Mark Haworth, Tyler Shrimpton (Miles Fenton), Tinashe Chakwana, Dwight McNeil, Olatunde Bayode, Tommy Wood (RJ Pingling). Subs not used:- Marcel Wusiewicz, Billy Grogan, Tristen Jumeau.

Share this page :

Follow UpTheClarets: