Share this page :

Usually a double header means going down to Gawthorpe to watch the youth team on a Saturday morning before a first team home match on the Turf but yesterday it was off down to Crewe for the afternoon before the first team home game against Newcastle.

1718 burnley dean marney 00 500x500The journey had to be undertaken without using the M6 which, once again, was resembling a car park on the south bound carriageway so after a later departure than expected we made it with just a few minutes to spare.

The team once again included Dean Marney but this time there was no Nahki Wells, leading immediately to speculation that he would be in Sean Dyche’s squad later in the day.

Having played 45 minutes twice and gone past the hour last Monday, it did look as though Marney was going to play the whole game but with the watch showing seconds short of 82 minutes, he finally made way for young striker Tommy Wood after an energetic performance that was also somewhat familiar when the referee showed him the yellow card.

On what was largely a disappointing performance, we were beaten 2-0 by a Crewe team who overtook us in the table, the home side scoring once in each half on an afternoon when we rarely threatened a goal ourselves.

The first half, in particular, was poor stuff with neither side offering too much. Jamie Thomas did have one effort saved but it was Crewe who went in front on 20 minutes when Alex Hurst scored for the home side having been found at the far post with a ball in from the right.

Fredrik Ulvestad was forced off with an injury at half time but we started the second half much brighter and might have equalised when Nashé Chakwana but the goalkeeper got there just before him and, although it was better than the first, there didn’t seem too much likelihood of a goal.

And with four minutes remaining it was all over, and just after we’d come as close as at any time in the game with a Dwight McNeil header over the bar. Crewe chased a ball down the left and forced Harry Flowers into a misplaced pass. The home side picked it up and their leading goalscorer Lewis Reilly fired home into the bottom corner from outside the box.

Coach Michael Duff summed it up when he said: “I think we had a lot of the ball, but we didn’t really hurt them in the final third. I think Aidan (Stone) has made one save and they haven’t had many chances but have taken two really soft goals.

“But they were better than us in both boxes really and we didn’t really get in behind and hurt them as much as we would have liked to have done.”

Our next league game is against Huddersfield at home next Monday but before that we are back at Curzon Ashton this Thursday for a Premier League Cup game against Colchester.

The teams were;

Crewe: Ben Garratt, Travis Johnson (Luke Walsh), Alex Hurst (Rio Adebisi), Luke Offord, Sam Stubbs, Billy Sass-Davies (Joe Lynch), Josh Lundstram, Harry Pickering, Owen Dale, Charlie Kirk, Lewis Reilly. Subs not used: William Jaaskelainen, Adao Manuel.

Burnley: Aidan Stone, Arlen Birch, Harry Flowers, Oliver Younger, Ali Koiki, Olatunde Bayode, Fredrik Ulvestad (Rahis Nabi ht), Dean Marney (Tommy Wood 82), Nashé Chakwana, Jamie Thomas, Harry Limb (Dwight McNeil 64). Subs not used: Connor King, James Clarke.

Share this page :

Follow UpTheClarets: