Share this page :

In October 1999, a Paul Cook goal gave us a 1-0 win at Barnet in the first round of the FA Cup, a win that led to us going out in the fourth round at Coventry City having also beaten Rotherham United and Derby County after that win at Underhill.

It brought an end to a twenty year period in which we’d been required to play at that stage of the FA Cup, the wins at Barnet and at home against Rotherham being the last occasions we have played in the first two rounds proper in the competition.

Stephen Ward – winner with Walsall at King’s Lynn

Last weekend, a few weeks before our ball number 11 goes into the third round draw, the first round was played and we did have some interest with three of our players featuring for other clubs on loan along with 21 others who have previously played for the Clarets at one level or another. Nine of them were winners and seven of them losers. The other eight live to fight another day in replays. Seven of them, including three on one game, didn’t get onto the pitch having been unused substitutes.

We’ll start with the winners and two of the most experienced players on the list both played as their respective teams 1-0. Keith Lowe, who was on loan at Burnley in 2005, was in the Kidderminster team that beat National League leaders Grimsby 1-0 at home while Stephen Ward played for Walsall in their 1-0 win at King’s Lynn.

Another 1-0 winner was Tom Anderson, who captained Doncaster to their win at Scunthorpe but two former young players enjoyed a big 5-0 win. Jordan Barnett signed for Yeovil last summer having been at league clubs Barnsley and Oldham having left Burnley. Dan Moss has joined at Huish Park on loan from Millwall. They enjoyed that comfortable win at Yate.

Adam Phillips, currently on loan from Burnley, was in Morecambe’s 1-0 winning team against Newport. He was substituted midway through the second half with Morecambe scoring the all important winner within a minute of him leaving the pitch. Former Claret Ryan Cooney came on as a substitute for Morecambe in the closing minutes.

The other two winners were both unused subs. Aidan Stone was the sub goalkeeper for Port Vale who surprisingly beat Accrington 5-1 and defender James Clarke was similar in Mansfield’s 1-0 win at Sunderland.

The two losing teams in those two games also had Burnley connections. Joel Mumbongo came on as a sub for Accrington while up at the Stadium of Light, Sunderland duo Oliver Younger and Will Harris were sat alongside Clarke.

A home replay for Sam Vokes and Wycombe against Hartlepool

Shaun Hobson was in the Southend team beaten 3-1 at Chesterfield and Jason Gilchrist came on as a substitute for York who were beaten 1-0 at home by Buxton and that leaves two more whose interest in this season’s FA Cup is over without them getting on the pitch. Christian N’Guessan was o the bench for Ebbsfleet who were beaten 1-0 at Leyton Orient while David Jones didn’t get on the pitch for Wrexham in their 2-1 defeat at Harrogate.

Six of the eight involved in draws were in 2-2 games but the other two were 0-0 and, given one was a goalkeeper and the other a defender, they will have been pleased with their clean sheet performances. Bailey Peacock-Farrell was in goal for Sheffield Wednesday’s home draw against Plymouth and Tendayi Darikwa for Wigan at home to Solihull.

At Bolton, Matt Gilks was an unused sub in their 2-2 home draw against Stockport in a game that saw Nathan Delfouneso come on as a sub for the home side. Dan Agyei was also a second half substitute for Oxford in their 2-2 home draw against Joey Barton’s Bristol Rovers. Northampton drew 2-2 at home against Cambridge with Ali Koiki in their team.

The final two played against each other. Luke Hendrie played for Hartlepool in their 2-2 home draw, that being against Wycombe for whom Sam Vokes played all but the final six minutes.

Follow UpTheClarets:

Share this page :