If you could choose one game from the Dyche era
Last Monday Sean Dyche celebrated his 50th birthday and it had me thinking about all the special days we’ve had at Burnley since he became manager.
I wasn’t thinking about the 1-0 home defeat against Huddersfield when Dane Richards came on, went off and then disappeared, nor any of the heavy defeats at the Etihad but I had, in my own mind, a few games that I’ll always want to remember.
At that point I asked the question: “If you could choose one game, which would it be?” and I’ve now collected the responses to that question and placed them into a voting poll.
There are 22 games in total, and all warrant special mention, even the one defeat in that list. It includes from every full season that he’s been our manager with seven of them coming from the first promotion season on 2013/14.
Those seven are the home wins against QPR, Blackpool, Nottingham Forest and Wigan along with the away wins at Ipswich and Blackburn plus the important draw at Watford.
Only the home win against Manchester City makes the list from 2014/15 but back in the Championship there are another six including four of the last five. Prior to the run in, the win at Brentford and the draw at Brighton are there along with those four late games at Birmingham, the day of the strong jaw, and Preston along with the home game against Middlesbrough before ending with that incredible day at Charlton.
That leaves eight more to come since our last promotion and that kicks off with two from the 2016/17 season; they are the home wins against Liverpool and Crystal Palace. I doubt any of us will forget the opening day of the 2017/18 season when we won at Chelsea; that’s included as is the 2-1 win against Leicester that clinched our place in Europe.
The trip to Olympiacos is the next game, simply because it was an incredible experience for us all and that’s the only game from that season.
The final three are all games away from Turf Moor and all special because of where they were. There is the 2-0 win at Manchester United in January 2020 and then the 1-0 wins at Arsenal and Liverpool later in the season.
The games are all listed below. All you need to do now is make your choice before the end of Tuesday of next week.
Which game would you choose since Sean Dyche became manager?
- 2013/14: Blackburn (a), 2-1 win (30%, 154 Votes)
- 2019/20: Manchester United (a), 2-0 win (26%, 133 Votes)
- 2017/18: Chelsea (a), 3-2 win (12%, 59 Votes)
- 2013/14: Wigan (h), 2-0 win (6%, 32 Votes)
- 2016/17: Liverpool (h), 2-0 win (5%, 23 Votes)
- 2015/16: Charlton (a), 3-0 win (3%, 15 Votes)
- 2013/14: Nottingham Forest (h), 3-1 win (3%, 14 Votes)
- 2020/21: Liverpool (a), 1-0 win (2%, 12 Votes)
- 2013/14: QPR (h), 2-0 win (2%, 10 Votes)
- 2015/16: Middlesbrough (h), 1-1 draw (2%, 9 Votes)
- 2016/17: Crystal Palace (h), 3-2 win (2%, 9 Votes)
- 2015/16: Brentford (a), 3-1 win (2%, 8 Votes)
- 2014/15: Manchester City (h), 1-0 win (1%, 5 Votes)
- 2018/19: Olympiacos (a), 3-1 defeat (1%, 5 Votes)
- 2015/16: Birmingham (a), 2-1 win (1%, 4 Votes)
- 2020/21: Arsenal (a), 1-0 win (1%, 3 Votes)
- 2015/16: Brighton (a), 2-2 draw (1%, 3 Votes)
- 2015/16: Preston (a), 1-0 win (1%, 3 Votes)
- 2017/18: Leicester (a), 2-1 win (0%, 2 Votes)
- 2013/14: Ipswich (a), 1-0 win (0%, 1 Votes)
- 2013/14: Blackpool (h), 2-1 win (0%, 1 Votes)
- 2013/14: Watford (a), 1-1 draw (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 505