Eating/drinking around West London

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Burnley loyal
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Eating/drinking around West London

Post by Burnley loyal » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:58 am

I'm going to Thorpe park this Friday so was wondering where I should be booking my hotel. Would normally book in Camden but I think it'll be hard work getting the tube to Thorpe park and back. I'm driving as the train too expensive last minute.
Is twickenham a nice place to stop?

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Re: Eating/drinking around West London

Post by starting_11 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:03 am

I don't know about Twickenham but is Marylebone High St / Baker Street area any good for you?

Thats my usual spot when Im in London and theres plenty of stuff around there.

If not, Ealing is quite a good locals kinda spot with a lot on offer.

martintheaker
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by martintheaker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:32 am

Burnley loyal wrote:I'm going to Thorpe park this Friday so was wondering where I should be booking my hotel. Would normally book in Camden but I think it'll be hard work getting the tube to Thorpe park and back. I'm driving as the train too expensive last minute.
Is twickenham a nice place to stop?
Thorpe Park is 20 miles out of London and there are regular trains from Waterloo Station. If you want to keep hotel costs down but have the option to travel into Central London, try looking at accommodation between Thorpe Park and Basingstoke area.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:46 am

If I was going to Thorpe Park, I probably wouldn't bother staying in London.

What about Windsor? Some cracking pubs, obviously touristy, but plenty to see and do and only a short distance to Thorpe Park.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:51 am

I went out in Acton once which was pretty good.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 am

Thorpe Park is a good day out - get there early-ish before the crowds arrive...no tube line goes there, so driving not a bad idea.

This is an expensive area of London and hotels are generally pricey...go online you may get some good late deals especially as there appears to be few major cultural or sporting events on in London this weekend which always push up prices.

Richmond is way nicer than [next door Twickenham] though Twickenham is ok, so maybe head there..there are some nice hotels on Richmond Hill [£££s] - stay off the M25 on Friday 3.00pm - 7.00pm.. ;)

ExistentialWanderer
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:02 am

Wimbledon for me. Lovely part of the world, almost like a village within the city. If you're looking for cheap ale. I'd highly recommend the Wetherspoons in Holborn across from the court. I know it's central London. Ridiculously low prices (cheaper than Burnley) and the staff are fabulous. I won't go into WHY I was in that area but spent many happy afternoons there.

Burnley loyal

Post by Burnley loyal » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:19 am

Cheers everyone. Leaving Burnley at 5am to make sure I spend the full day at Thorpe park. I checked out Richmond can get a hotel for under £100 no problem. To be honest I can't get steaming as iv to drive back home fairly early to get back to my kids!
If I could find a bar with a good band on I'd be more than happy no matter where it is

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:23 am

Plenty of pubs i twickenham.

Richmonds very nice. Parks amazing.

Go to hampton court.

West london not too far away. Also west londons on central line with 24 hour tube o weekends if you do eend up central.

West london - Notting Hill, Ealing Broadway even Shepherds bush have loads of pubs and stuff going on. Acton, hamersmith, fulham etc
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:28 am

Spent a few very happy years in Twickenham when I was a student. Teddington close by. I suspect Richmond is very pricey but good luck anyway.

ExistentialWanderer
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:29 am

Burnley loyal wrote:Cheers everyone. Leaving Burnley at 5am to make sure I spend the full day at Thorpe park. I checked out Richmond can get a hotel for under £100 no problem. To be honest I can't get steaming as iv to drive back home fairly early to get back to my kids!
If I could find a bar with a good band on I'd be more than happy no matter where it is
There's a pub in Wandsworth. Come over Putney bridge and down the dual carriageway. Can't miss it as it's right at the end where it splits. Brilliant pub and great bands when I went in. Bar staff are/were Aussie and very friendly.

Burnley loyal

Post by Burnley loyal » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Il probably go twickenham or Wimbledon as I'm only there for one night so it's convenient. Hotels in Wimbledon only £60 for a travelodge

hampsteadclaret

Post by hampsteadclaret » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:17 pm

- not trying to interfere in your trip mate but the Wimbledon travel lodge [to my mind] is some distance from what I call 'Wimbledon' ...that particular one is in Morden.

Wimbledon Village is about 3 miles away - hope that helps.

Burnley loyal

Post by Burnley loyal » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:32 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:- not trying to interfere in your trip mate but the Wimbledon travel lodge [to my mind] is some distance from what I call 'Wimbledon' ...that particular one is in Morden.

Wimbledon Village is about 3 miles away - hope that helps.

Any advice is welcome pal

Burnley loyal

Post by Burnley loyal » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Spent a few very happy years in Twickenham when I was a student. Teddington close by. I suspect Richmond is very pricey but good luck anyway.
Sorted! Iv booked a travelodge for £59 on the centre of Teddington. Never heard of the place before but having googled it it looks fine, plenty restaurants and pubs

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by LeadBelly » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Never heard of Teddington?
It's where the big love rival of Ernie- the fastest milkman in the west - came from.

Now Ernie had a rival, an evil-looking man,
Called Two-Ton Ted from Teddington and he drove the baker's van.
He tempted her with his treacle tarts and his tasty wholemeal bread,
And when she seen the size of his hot meat pies it very near turned her head.

She nearly swooned at his macaroon and he said, "If you treat me right,
You'll have hot rolls every morning and crumpets every night."
He knew once she sampled his layer cake he'd have his wicked way,
And all Ernie had to offer was a pint of milk a day.
These 4 users liked this post: nil_desperandum tim_noone Jel oswyclaret

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Used to be TV studios beside Teddington Lock and a couple of decent pubs close together. One was called The Anglers and I've temporarily forgotten the name of the other. Often saw 'stars' of the day in them such as Patrick McGoohan(Dangerman) and the cast of the programme starring Diana Rigg and Patrick McNee. A fair while ago and they are probably trendy wine bars now. Enjoy.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:49 am

Burnley loyal wrote:Sorted! Iv booked a travelodge for £59 on the centre of Teddington. Never heard of the place before but having googled it it looks fine, plenty restaurants and pubs
Hi Burnley loyal, great choice. I've been out this evening, just back in. Saw this thread and thought "I'll get on line and recommend Travelodge, Teddington." Pleased to see you've got it sorted before I've posted.

Teddington is a great village/small town. Yes, Benny Hill lived here. The "fish dance" Monty Python was filmed at Teddington Lock - which is the limit of the tidal Thames. The Dunkirk little boats "set sail" from Teddington Lock. Continuing the military connections, Eisenhower had his Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force (SHAEF) in Bushy Park, just down the road from the Travelodge, preparing for D-Day. The "dam busters" flying bomb was first tested in water tanks (now gone) also in Bushy Park, now part of the National Physical Laboratory. Hampton Court is across the road from Bushy Park (far side from Teddington). The village/parish is celebrating 800 years this summer. Lots of great pubs and lots of good places to eat along Teddington High Street and down to Teddington Lock including Anglers and Tide End by the Lock.

Enjoy Thorpe Park, but you could enjoy yourself just as much spending all your time in and around Teddington.

The older generation will remember Magpie from Teddington Lock, 1968 -1980 (unless you were a Blue Peter kid). TV Studios were demolished 3 or 4 years back - now a building site for more riverside flats.

Fastest and easiest route by road from North/Burnley: M40, M25, M3, leave M3 at junction 1 (towards Kingston), follow road past Kempton Park, then turn left at Hampton Court Palace, follow the road round and turn left into Bushy Park (limit is 20 mph thru the Park). Enjoy the views of the deer along Chestnut Avenue, left on exiting the Park and keep right at the mini-roundabout, up Park Road and turn right at the top of the slope and the Travelodge is on your right (and Nando below).
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley loyal ebby

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:51 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:Used to be TV studios beside Teddington Lock and a couple of decent pubs close together. One was called The Anglers and I've temporarily forgotten the name of the other. Often saw 'stars' of the day in them such as Patrick McGoohan(Dangerman) and the cast of the programme starring Diana Rigg and Patrick McNee. A fair while ago and they are probably trendy wine bars now. Enjoy.
Anglers and the Tide End are still pubs. Good food at both. Anglers is the larger and gets a lot of the w/end family crowds.

Burnley loyal

Post by Burnley loyal » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:49 am

Excellent info cheers. We've found an Italian in teddington with brilliant reviews so will possibly book that, then hopefully find a bar with live music.
Might have a wander around Richmond park Saturday morning before heading off back home

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Burnley loyal wrote:Excellent info cheers. We've found an Italian in teddington with brilliant reviews so will possibly book that, then hopefully find a bar with live music.
Might have a wander around Richmond park Saturday morning before heading off back home
Richmond Park is great, but Bushy Park is better. Used to be Henry VIII's hunting park. You can walk across from Travelodge. The best part, especially if this strong sun is still with us, are the Woodland Gardens (in two sections) and then up to the Water Garden.

Isabella Plantation is the best part of Richmond Park.

Rickers Twickers
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Rickers Twickers » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:30 am

Agree re Bushy Park. Always been a much better option than RP which is full of wannabe Bradley Wiggins types.

Plenty of decent places to eat in Teddington and Twickenham. If you fancy somewhere between the two then the Alexander Pope hotel is very good for an evening meal.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:23 am

You've to get back for the kids. Isn't Thorpe Park for kids ?!

Burnley loyal

Post by Burnley loyal » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:03 am

Blackrod wrote:You've to get back for the kids. Isn't Thorpe Park for kids ?!
Ha ha! My kids don't reach the required height for the big rides so they can wait a year or so. We normally go Alton towers with the kids but fancy a change. It's my girlfriend who's the big kid!

Burnley loyal

Post by Burnley loyal » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:04 am

Rickers Twickers wrote:Agree re Bushy Park. Always been a much better option than RP which is full of wannabe Bradley Wiggins types.

Plenty of decent places to eat in Teddington and Twickenham. If you fancy somewhere between the two then the Alexander Pope hotel is very good for an evening meal.

Thanks for the info. Iv found an Italian called la dolice vita, amazing reviews

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:28 am

Rickers Twickers wrote:Agree re Bushy Park. Always been a much better option than RP which is full of wannabe Bradley Wiggins types.

Alexander Pope is in Strawberry Hill and is just a two minute walk away from where I lived in Holmes Rd. Lovely part of the world.

hampsteadclaret

Post by hampsteadclaret » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:35 pm

I guess the 'Popes Grotto' must be round there somewhere..?

I vaguely remember wandering into it, back in the mists of time.

Rickers Twickers

Post by Rickers Twickers » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:21 pm

Same place HC....super little pub/hotel.

Rickers Twickers

Post by Rickers Twickers » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Burnley loyal wrote:Thanks for the info. Iv found an Italian called la dolice vita, amazing reviews
Should be fine.

There is a Nando's attached to the Travelodge and a Pizza Express immediately opposite. Not my cup of tea - but handy if you can't be bothered to walk. Alternatively, a number of other places on Broad Street, including a couple of pubs and an Italian.

Sorry to be so late with this advice, but have lived here for nearly 30 years so very much home territory for me.
This user liked this post: Burnley loyal

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:51 pm

I worked in Teddington/Twickenham/Richmond area for about 8 years in the 80's and 90's.

Always excellent for a meal or drink after work.

I do miss it.

:(

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:08 pm

Rickers Twickers wrote:Should be fine.

There is a Nando's attached to the Travelodge and a Pizza Express immediately opposite. Not my cup of tea - but handy if you can't be bothered to walk. Alternatively, a number of other places on Broad Street, including a couple of pubs and an Italian.

Sorry to be so late with this advice, but have lived here for nearly 30 years so very much home territory for me.
Hi R T, same for me, been here 6 months short of 30 years - apart from a spell in Den Haag and another in New York.

Burnley loyal

Post by Burnley loyal » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:26 pm

Had a great afternoon and night in teddington, the sun was blazing, found some great pubs

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Burnley loyal wrote:Had a great afternoon and night in teddington, the sun was blazing, found some great pubs
Hi Burnley loyal, so what were the pubs? And, did you get into Bushy Park? Big vintage/classic car rally there this afternoon - part of Teddington's 800 years celebrations.

http://www.teddington800.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burnley loyal

Post by Burnley loyal » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:07 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Hi Burnley loyal, so what were the pubs? And, did you get into Bushy Park? Big vintage/classic car rally there this afternoon - part of Teddington's 800 years celebrations.

http://www.teddington800.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We went to the Hogarth, railway pub, anglers. All decent pubs. We set off back home Saturday morning, had to get back for the kids. Thorpe park was good to.
Probably be back in teddington for the full weekend when we play Chelsea. If the suns out, the beer gardens were fab
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

vargai
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by vargai » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Hello!

I was searching about Marylebone pubs, and i came across to this article. I find it helpful, and i hope it will be helpful for you too. :D https://www.danubiushotels.com/en/londo ... marylebone
This user liked this post: tim_noone

ebby
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by ebby » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:49 pm

Great stories & information gents - a pleasure to read - far better than the political dross we keep on getting on this forum of late. It may be time for Tony to give them their own page just to stop them polluting every other article.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:16 pm

I like the jubilee line links familiar with it but not the places of interest.marleybone looks a good night out if your gonna push the boat out!

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:04 am

Registering to post that is a bit random but, although they may not be the best in the area, the comments seemed fair. They're all decent places, although last time I went to Purl I ended up drinking a dry ice laced cocktail out of a handbag