Team for Rovers

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Team for Rovers

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:46 am

If we were playing them today what would your team be. Also what team do you think Dyche will pick?

For me I think we have to pick as strong a side as possible whilst using our fringe players sensibly. Its a must win game in my eyes.

Id go 442 to try out that system with the players we have.

Heaton
Bardsley Tarkowski Mee Taylor
JBG Westwood Hendrick Arfield
Barnes Walters

Heaton. Team captain and also think its important we build up the understanding between him, mee and tarkowski.

Bardsley. Full backs one area we seem blessed with adequate reserves. Bardsley has plenty of experience and is as capable as Lowton.

Tarkowski. Think its important he gets as much game time as possible. Especially alongside Mee and Heaton.

Mee. See above.

Taylor. Needs to get some experience and would be useful for him to get it alongside our first choice centre halves and keeper.

JBG. Again needs to get used to playing for us regular. Would have him on the left cutting in. But able to swap if its not working.

Westwood. Our most energetic centre midfielder. Probably most suited to 442. Hasnt done much not to be playing anyway.

Hendrick. Our most physical cm. Him and westwood would be ideal partnership for this game.

Arfield. Knows this game and this position inside out. No need to risk Brady. Arfield should have enough.

Barnes. Think Blackburn will resort to physical tactics. If they will they will have no match for Barnes. Always scores goals in important games.

Walters. See Barnes. Also think he may have a point to prove. One to us and one to Blackburn after they released him.

That side should have more than enough. Wouldnt be awful against some premier sides if we were short. Would ve nice to see Agyei feature and get a goal. Cant see Dyche risking Heaton, Mee and Tarkowski though. Think he will go 451 in a slightly different set up than saturday.

Dyche will pick imo

Pope
Bardsley Tarkowski Long Taylor
JBG Arfield Westwood Walters
Hendrick
Barnes
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

colne-claret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Re: Team for Rovers

Post by colne-claret » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:55 am

I'd go for...

Heaton
JBG Cork Westwood Defour Brady
Walters

I think it will be:

Pope
Bardsley Long Mee Taylor
Barnes Walters

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:57 am

I'd go for...

Heaton
Lowton Tarkowski Mee Ward
JBG Cork Hendrick Defour Brady
Vokes

I think it will be:

Heaton
Bardsley Tarkowski Long Taylor
JBG Westwood Cork Hendrick Arfield
Barnes

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3864 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:02 am

Strongest possible. I can see your case for swapping the full backs and to be fair I don't think it should weaken the side.

They shouldn't need a rest yet and most will get one for international break in 3 weeks anyway.
This user liked this post: Spike

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:03 am

Heaton
Bardsley Tarks Mee Taylor
Westwood Cork
JGB Hendrick Brady
Vokes

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:06 am

Looking back to why we lost the Accy and Lincoln games was lack of creativity and not scoring. We need our best attacking players out there.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:06 am

rather we didn't pick up any crucial injuries against the league one cloggers so only mee and hendrick to start from our first choice 11 thanks.

should still have more than enough to tub them.

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:09 am

Pope, Taylor, Tarks, Long, Bardsley, JBG, Westwood, Hendrick, Arfield, Agyei, Walters.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1467 times
Has Liked: 997 times

Post by Goobs » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:17 am

Would Go / Will go:

Pope
Bardsley, Long, Mee(C), Taylor
Arfield, Westwood, Cork, Hendrick, Walters
Barnes
Subs: Legdzins (sp??), Tarks, Lowton, Defour, JBG, Agyei, Vokes

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:22 am

He's not going to risk the whole first team, and nor should he.

Thats why we have a premier league squad, all busting a gut to be first choice when we play in the premier league.

HelloHiGoodbye
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 308 times

Post by HelloHiGoodbye » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:26 am

Won't happen but...

Heaton
Lowton Tarkowski Mee Ward
JBG Hendrick Cork Defour Brady
Vokes

I want 5-0.
These 3 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret Bop SparkyClaret

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:26 am

Dyche would have to have us finish in the top 10 if we got beat off this lot. To save face.

It would be a game talked about for 50 years by them lot if they won with two divisions between us.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Anonymous

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:29 am

Barnes would get a red card within half an hour in this game

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:30 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Dyche would have to have us finish in the top 10 if we got beat off this lot. To save face.

It would be a game talked about for 50 years by them lot if they won with two divisions between us.
i'm more than happy to let them harp on about a first round league cup win against our reserves for 50 years.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:33 am

quoonbeatz wrote:i'm more than happy to let them harp on about a first round league cup win against our reserves for 50 years.
Im not. And most of the rest of us wouldnt.

I want to beat them at any opportunity. I want to win every game and I want to win this cup!
These 2 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret tiger76

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:36 am

Thats ******** guys.

Cup shocks happen, and if you think that this is somehow going to change the current status quo then you've really let them get to you.

All you have to do if it gets too much is just ask "I'm sorry, what division are you in at the moment?"

(assuming we lose of course)

If you have a twinkle in your eye and a half smile while you deliver it as well, that helps.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:43 am

Full strength for me. Don't take anything for granted, remember Accrington.
These 2 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret Spike

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:47 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I want to beat them at any opportunity. I want to win every game and I want to win this cup!
same here but if a 1st round league cup win against our reserves is all they've got to desperately cling on to for the rest 50 years, i can live with not winning.

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:04 pm

I'd love us to hammer them out of sight, but not at the cost of an injury like JBG suffered last season.

We have 11 players who didn't start on Saturday who could, and should, sweep the League 1 relegation fodder aside in some style.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:08 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:same here but if a 1st round league cup win against our reserves is all they've got to desperately cling on to for the rest 50 years, i can live with not winning.
It's the 2nd round.

Right lads lets get one thing straight, anyone who witnessed the 5-0 april fool massacre at Ewood will not get over that sick feeling inside until we get revenge. Yes the odd goal wins have been great but this is our chance to get that 5-0 revenge, to wipe the slate clean.

If you think it's a nothing reserve game then just don't bother going.
These 4 users liked this post: ClaretEngineer cav Bop HiroshimaClaret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:12 pm

I was there at the 5-0

The 2-1 at Ewood and the 1-0 at the turf finished any feelings of inferiority that I had left.

I was actually chatting to a Rovers fan about this, yes, it is probably the most important game you look out for, but its now a much more "normal" rivalry.

I still hope we smash them out of sight, but I know that we are not inferior to our neighbours anymore and more importantly, they know it too.

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:13 pm

I love the holier than thou brigade at times like this ''Yeah but what league are we in and where are you?'' is the usual tripe spouted when we get knocked out. There is more than a next round place at stake here.

I didn't attend (fortunately) the 5-0 game, but I recall the town being demolished in the wake of the result.

They'll be putting out a full strength team and we should do the same. We shouldn't be looking at anything less than giving them a good hiding here.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:15 pm

i forgot its the second round! thats how much better we are than them, we don't even have to bother with round 1.

and i'm not going. i don't think its a nothing reserve game, its a cup i want us to do our best in. i'm just saying that if they beat what will likely be a reserve side, i really won't be giving much of a toss, especially if thats all they've got on us for 50 years.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Imagine we win this cup and the first win of the journey was at ewood. I would be gutted if i missed it.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:20 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:I was there at the 5-0

The 2-1 at Ewood and the 1-0 at the turf finished any feelings of inferiority that I had left.

I was actually chatting to a Rovers fan about this, yes, it is probably the most important game you look out for, but its now a much more "normal" rivalry.

I still hope we smash them out of sight, but I know that we are not inferior to our neighbours anymore and more importantly, they know it too.
In 5 years time roles might be reversed again, lets not waste this opportunity.

Yes cup shocks do happen as well, but Accy, Lincoln and then Blackburn in succession would lead to a lot of managers getting sacked.

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:22 pm

It's not about the team you put out, it's about the mentality. Against Lincoln it was basically a first choice team apart from the full-backs, and we were still useless. Taylor, Bardsley, Walters and Barnes will be well up for it anyway so I don't see why they shouldn't start.

Heaton
JBG Hendrick Westwood Arfield
Barnes Walters
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Oh and there's a small matter of keeping that run of them not beating us going. Is it 7 years now?

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:02 pm

I'll be fuming if he rests players and we lose this game. It was bad enough after the Accrington game.

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:04 pm

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:I'll be fuming if he rests players and we lose this game. It was bad enough after the Accrington game.
I don't know why UTC but that made me chuckle :lol:

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Largely with Quoon and Lancaster here. I'm quite sure our players could cope with the extra game, but Dyche was angry enough at some of Accy's tackling last season and Lincoln knobbled one of our most creative players for the rest of the season - Rovers will no doubt be up for the game and no doubt a sizeable proportion of their support will have a similar view of injuring our players as many of our fans did when Kevin Ball launched in on Dunn all those years ago. The importance of winning the game both because its Blackburn and because we want to progress does have to be balanced against the risk of key (or more vulnerable) players getting injured against alehouse opponents.

If Rovers beat us, I'll just laugh and ask them to remind me what division they are in, and point out they were playing are virtual reserve team. I know it will be more damaging than that to some, and so perhaps winning becomes more important than it was at Accy, say. But still I think we can afford to leave out anyone we'd struggle to replace if they were unavailable.

My team:

--------------Heaton
Bardsley Tarkowski Long Ward
--------Walters Barnes

There's plenty in that team to win the game, and it doesn't involve risking any of Mee, Cork, Defour, Brady and Vokes, who we can least afford to lose. If we were playing Morecambe, say, we might have tried a couple of kids like Agyei. Perhaps this isn't the night to go that far, but fortunately we are strong enough to field a virtual shadow team full of senior, experienced professionals with a lot of Premier League pedigree.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:22 pm

On that basis why would you not rest Ward? We havent seen Taylor and in my eyes Ward is one of the first names on the team. Similar we wouldnt be able to afford to lose Heaton!

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:27 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:On that basis why would you not rest Ward? We havent seen Taylor and in my eyes Ward is one of the first names on the team. Similar we wouldnt be able to afford to lose Heaton!
Well, I think its important that given everything that surrounds the game, we keep a couple of our experienced heads in the team. With Long and Tarkowski at centre back to protect Mee, I think having 2 experienced players at full back to talk them through might be important, and whilst we haven't yet seen Taylor in competitive action, he's been signed as a serious challenger to Ward. As for Heaton, you're right, but the risk of a keeper getting injured is obviously much lower.

But yes, you could certainly go further if you wanted to.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:30 pm

This is Blackburn.

First choice in every position.

No messing.

Put them to the sword.

Streams of no dad's walking off down the front if the Riverside at 75 minutes.
These 3 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret Big_Ears_BFC Bop

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:45 pm

Pope
Bardsley, Long, Mee, Taylor
Gudmundsson, Westwood, Ulvestad, Arfield
Walters, Agyei

The five at the back should cope, leaving plenty of options on the bench should we need to shuffle things around a little.
Bstrds demise and our progression has given this fixture a completely different outlook to what it would otherwise have been. It's one of those, if they win then it was only our reserves, if they lose then they can't even beat our reserves. A no lose situation for me.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

50 shades of Grey
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by 50 shades of Grey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:53 pm

For me, its none of this 'its only the League Cup' nonsense. Its THEM, and we owe them big time.

For all:

their smugness and arrogance/ their benefactor funded years/ the ridiculous 34 years thing (when we hardly ever played) they banged on about/ their horrible half n half rugby top/ Simon Garner/ the 5 - 0/ they way they were pampered for years, whilst we struggled/ the annoying way they say 'roverrrrrs'/ for their criticism of our Cricketfield Stand (do they not remember the shed of a ground they used to have)/ they way many of their 'fans' have no idea that down the decades they were ALWAYS in our shadow, etc, etc.

Feel free to add your own dislike. And yes, you're right, I don't like them very much.

UTC NNN.
These 2 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret tiger76

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4033 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:33 pm

For me it's a must win. A few of my mates of rovers fans and I work with a few also who would give me years of dogs abuse. Simply not worth the risk.

I would rest a few but start with some real power as well and take them off as the game went too far away from them. Make sure I had enough on the bench not to lose!!!

It's also them, our greatest and fiercest rivalries, I'm mid thirties and remember their horrible domination over us. We should never forget that and slam the door shut at every opportunity. I'd like to grind them into the ground.

Mee seems to love this fixture and loves our club. Both he and Heaton really know what this is about first 2 names on the sheet.

I go for

Heaton
Bardsley Mee Tarks Taylor
Jbg Cork Westwood Hendrick Arfield
Barnes

Subs
Walter
Vokes
Agyei
Defour
Brady
Pope

Edit sorry put Long instead of Taylor at LB.
Last edited by mybloodisclaret on Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lanky22222
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by lanky22222 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:49 pm

Heaton

Bardsley Tark Mee Taylor

JBG Westwood Cork Hendrick Brady

Barnes

BFC88
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by BFC88 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:53 pm

I think Bardsley, Taylor and Westwood will play, which is fine as it won't weaken us massively.

The only other player i would excuse leaving out completely is Defour. We do not want an injury to our best player as a result of their likely thug tactics.

Heaton

Bardsley
Tarkowski
Mee
Taylor

Arfield
Westwood
Hendrick
Brady

Barnes
Walters

Subs: Pope, Long, JBG, Agyei, Cork, Vokes

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3149 times
Has Liked: 10254 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:05 pm

No Ney Never wrote:Pope
Bardsley, Long, Mee, Taylor
Gudmundsson, Westwood, Ulvestad, Arfield
Walters, Agyei

The five at the back should cope, leaving plenty of options on the bench should we need to shuffle things around a little.
Bstrds demise and our progression has given this fixture a completely different outlook to what it would otherwise have been. It's one of those, if they win then it was only our reserves, if they lose then they can't even beat our reserves. A no lose situation for me.

Dead right, NNN.............with the exception of JBG who I'm pretty sure Rovers would target and injure Lincoln-style.
We should not only insult the Rovers by playing a weakened team but also laugh at them grasping at straws if they beat us and, if they don't, enjoy the ****-storm heading their way.
We simply cannot afford any injuries or suspensions. Maybe take the FA Cup seriously - we'll have a better idea of our prospects by then but not this cup.
For God's sake, we could buy the whole Rovers' squad for the amount of money we're going to pay for our next player ! Priorities.

mybloodisclaret

Post by mybloodisclaret » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:09 pm

Its not the cup it's the opponents.

mybloodisclaret

Post by mybloodisclaret » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:10 pm

I think we're going to go for it. Especially with the club paying for coaches. They want us there to make some noise!!!!

Utc
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

claretjohn33505
Been Liked: 35 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by claretjohn33505 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:33 pm

This is proffesional football. I do not like them either, but we cannot expose our best players to thuggery for a halfpenny comp when it may jeprodise a hundred million pound windfall.

my team would be,

Pope
Bardsley
Long
Mee
Taylor
Arfield
Westwood
Cork
Brady
Barnes
Agyei
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2326 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:35 pm

keep defour away from these thugs, and give long , bardsley and taylor a run out...otherwise leave it be......id prefer we won this.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:37 pm

The 5-0 defeat angrified me, so I'd like to see us win big.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8733 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:39 pm

They will all want to play in the derby match of football.

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:52 pm

Same team that played against Chelsea.

Defour would be a must for me. He has experience in playing in fierce Derby games, worse than the east lancs

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1163 times
Has Liked: 1298 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:59 pm

I didn't want this game but now we've got it to play I want to win it. So let's not fart about with starting a weaker team, let's put the best team out and swap some if we start doing well.
This user liked this post: Bop

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 988 times
Has Liked: 1660 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:04 pm

Heaton
Bardsley Tarks Mee Taylor
Westwood Cork Hendrick Arfield
Barnes Walters

Subs
Pope
Long
Lowton
Ward
Defour
Brad
Vokes
Agyei
Think that might be too many subs
Last edited by BleedingClaret on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4073 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:08 pm

B0110cks to risk. Life's a risk.

Full-on attack. First team names in every position.
Just steamroller the mothers. We'll cope with any adverse ill fortune.
These 4 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret BFC88 Bop Zesty

Spike
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Spike » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:30 pm

Full strength for me!

Success breeds success and beating Rovers is a must!

Plus I fancy our chances of winning the Cup this year! Now that would be the final straw for the Rovers ! Humiliated by us on the way to us lifting the cup
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Zesty