Historic Wrongs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
morpheus2
Been Liked: 762 times
Has Liked: 1855 times

Re: Historic Wrongs

Post by morpheus2 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Actually I do find it quite amusing when some of your sniveling Christian/Liberal/SJW ...I don't know what they are types (present company excepted) apologise for a few sporadic skirmishes and battles 1000 years ago intermittently spanning 200 years during the Crusader wars, yet seem oblivious and unconcerned towards the ongoing 1400 year old Islamic Jihad which at one point raped, pillaged, burned, tortured and slaughtered its way to the gates of Vienna and had your Christendom on its knees before it was beaten back by brave men with iron fists and hearts of lions just like Owen Jones.

The Pope, I'm sure he's grovelled over this episode. And Lily Allen maybe, she was sorry on your behalf for something or other.
Last edited by morpheus2 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:01 pm

Spiral wrote:Not being gay or a convicted criminal, I couldn't possibly know how I would feel were a govt to criminalise then apologise for criminalising my sexuality, which is why I'm happy to delegate to gay people whose sexuality actually was criminalised and have actually lived this experience as to the worth of this apology, and more importantly, the legal mechanisms being put in place to have these convictions expunged. It seems the only people taking exception to this apology are straight people never directly or indirectly affected by the laws. Perhaps those having difficulty resolving this apology need to take a moment to reflect and ask themselves why they are vexed.
Nailed it.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:07 pm

Spiral wrote:and more importantly, the legal mechanisms being put in place to have these convictions expunged.
Nobody on this thread has expressed an opinion that pardoning people, or legal mechanisms being put in place so people can have their convictions removed from the history books is wrong.
I don't know why you are going all claret Charlie and implying this is what people think, because it clearly isnt

welsbyswife
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by welsbyswife » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:12 pm

It's all linked to Princess Diana syndrome resulting in an overly sentimental approach and a need for public expressions of grief, horror, indignation about any manner of things.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:14 pm

welsbyswife wrote:It's all linked to Princess Diana syndrome resulting in an overly sentimental approach and a need for public expressions of grief, horror, indignation about any manner of things.
Is it ********.

It’s about people who were convicted needlessly and the government pardoning them and apologising for what was clearly a crappy law.

It isn’t about some bloody princess who died in a sodding car crash..

welsbyswife
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by welsbyswife » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:25 pm

It's the attitude and approach to things that is related, not necessarily the subject. Just change the law, pardon those convicted and move on without such a song and dance. There has definitely been a change in attitude in the last 20 years. You can't turn the news on without someone wanting an apology for this, a public inquiry for that. A lot of it is just for show and achieves very little.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:26 pm

Damo wrote:Nobody on this thread has expressed an opinion that pardoning people, or legal mechanisms being put in place so people can have their convictions removed from the history books is wrong.
I don't know why you are going all claret Charlie and implying this is what people think, because it clearly isnt
I was somehow accused of 'selective quoting' by quoting the relevant parts of the post I was responding to. You have literally cut my sentence in half and somehow brought another poster into this argument for reasons I can't quite fathom.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:30 pm

welsbyswife wrote:It's the attitude and approach to things that is related, not necessarily the subject. Just change the law, pardon those convicted and move on without such a song and dance. There has definitely been a change in attitude in the last 20 years. You can't turn the news on without someone wanting an apology for this, a public inquiry for that. A lot of it is just for show and achieves very little.
Can I just point out that this thread was stared by a person who finds the apology confusing. It's the objectors who seem to making a song and dance in response to what was an apparently inconsequential speech (according to those on here who object) made while passing a piece of govt legislation.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Spiral wrote:I was somehow accused of 'selective quoting' by quoting the relevant parts of the post I was responding to. You have literally cut my sentence in half and somehow brought another poster into this argument for reasons I can't quite fathom.
I didn't cut your sentence in half. I quoted the part of your comment that I disagree with.
I brought Charlie into it because he does the same thing you have done here. That's make people out to have a different opinion from the one they have aired

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:51 pm

Damo wrote:I didn't cut your sentence in half. I quoted the part of your comment that I disagree with.
I brought Charlie into it because he does the same thing you have done here. That's make people out to have a different opinion from the one they have aired
Lol. What? You're just going to make things up about me now? Wait, why am i even surprised?

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Most of what I have posted has been about the apology-the point of contention for a lot of people posting on this thread-not the pardon. However, the two go hand-in-hand. I'm not accusing anyone of being against the pardon.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:57 pm

Spiral wrote:Most of what I have posted has been about the apology-the point of contention for a lot of people posting on this thread-not the pardon. However, the two go hand-in-hand. I'm not accusing anyone of being against the pardon.
So are you saying Damo accused you of something you didn't do?

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:59 pm

welsbyswife wrote:Whether it is her as an individual or the current body of individuals that makes up the Scottish Government is irrelevant to the point being made. Her or they were not responsible for the laws of the past so the point in her/ they apologising for the actions of others is all a bit meaningless.
The Scottish Government was responsible and there's probably still people in Scottish Government who were there when the laws still applied. Maybe they didn't write the laws but they didn't repeal them earlier either.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:59 pm

welsbyswife wrote:It's the attitude and approach to things that is related, not necessarily the subject. Just change the law, pardon those convicted and move on without such a song and dance. There has definitely been a change in attitude in the last 20 years. You can't turn the news on without someone wanting an apology for this, a public inquiry for that. A lot of it is just for show and achieves very little.
It isn't just for show though, it actually means something to those who feel they were wrongly treated.

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2034 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Wasn’t the OPs question more how far back to ‘events should we go when making apologies or pardons?

There was a law in 1425 that forbid those who were not noblemen from playing tennis or the law (still in place I belong eve) that makes it illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament. Should they also be pardoned and an apology?

In my opinion, if the issue affects anyone still alive? Such as children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, the apology and pardon should happen.
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

Ightenclaret
Been Liked: 328 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by Ightenclaret » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:34 am

these things usually correct themselves one way or another

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

Post by Rowls » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:54 am

Blackrod wrote:WW1 solders that were shot for desertion were pardoned but they probably had relatives of some sort still alive.
When did this happen?
edit - found the answer, no need to reply thanks.