Lennon in, next........

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2250 times

Re: Lennon in, next........

Post by mkmel » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:18 am

Andreshotboots wrote:Sean's staff to sign too..
Have they signed longer contracts as well?

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:24 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:If you include wages then I'd say that it's been quite considerable.

The forward we should be after won't be cheap, and won't be wanting to be paid in tap washers.
Transfer fee wise I reckon we are about £8M up atm

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:24 am

MDWat wrote:Agree with BOT.

Get a centre half this window. Have a look at the striking department in the summer. Small argument that you could turn over all bar Wood (we won’t) but might see Vokes, Wells and Walters move on and two come in.
At the moment, scoring goals is a far bigger issue than defending.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:44 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Because expectations have exceeded reality. I know where I'd like to see us finish but am realistic enough to accept that it's unlikely to be maintained. Mid-table would be a huge improvement on last year and probably keep us more grounded for the future than would a higher finish. Incremental improvement seems to be the mantra we are following and I'm more than happy with that.
Not suggesting for a moment that I'm right,of course. It's just my considered opinion.
I know what you're saying about expectations but why would we benefit from being 'more grounded'? A higher finish means more money/more money and a higher finish means more pulling power with players/better players means the future (hopefully) would be more secure. I'm all for caution to a degree and it has stood us in good stead but as in business so with football (unfortunately), to make advances you have to occasionally take risks (and it needn't be a big risk). A decent striker at this point may be the difference between mid-table (or below) and a top ten finish or even Europe (a big ask but still possible). As I've said before I'm not asking for Aguero, just someone who can score with a regularity we currently do not have. Many are saying wait till Wood is fit but the problem with that is threefold: first off we don't yet know how good he is or might be, secondly even if he turns out brilliant with the supply Lennon and GKN we need more than one decent striker and my point all along is what we have to back him up just isn't good enough for the PL and thirdly supposing Chelsea do come along and take Barnes off us (bizarre as that story might be) we'll be losing our second highest scorer.
I know many disagree and that's fine but in my opinion if we only get one more player in this window it must and should be a decent striker. The rest of the team is pretty decent really. Then we get to the summer and see where we go from there. One thing is certain at least, barring a meltdown of biblical proportions we ain't going to be relegated

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:10 pm

Personally I’d like to see ya go for Brereton ar forest, maybe loan him back to them for the rest of the season.

I’ve got a feeling that our next striker will come from Europe. So not sure who to suggest without getting the usual abuse of, “based on what? YouTube clips?” Blah blah.

Double swoop at forest for me for worrall and brereton, loaning one of them back for the season. And a number 10 from somehwere.

Spike
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Spike » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:13 pm

clive40golf wrote:Wouldn’t it be great if we tested the water with someone like Javier Hernandez. Now that would be a statement of intent and he would fit into our framework
Wouldn't fit into our team ethic.

Would be proper brassed off if we signed him

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Hernandez will be on minimum £100k a week and no doubt a ridiculous goal bonus on top.
He's already picked up a couple of injuries this year.

IMHO absolutely zero chance of him coming to Burnley - which personally I'm glad about.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:20 pm

Totally agree with your views regarding a new striker. I think it's been needed from the beginning of the season simply because those incumbent,despite their popularity, were no better than adequate. Goals tally this season seems to reflect that,I think.
Getting a 'goalscorer', of course, is probably the most difficult acquisition of all. I hope sincerely that it happens(especially if the injury to Wood proves more serious than first thought) but somehow I don't believe it will. Consequently it will be the defence we rely on to get us through the rest of the season.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:22 pm

Firthy wrote:Have to disagree with you. Our defence and midfield have shown they're more than capable.

But we are having problems scoring goals, especially with Wood out so for me that should be the priority. Scoring more goals would also take pressure off the defence.

You and the Houseboy are thinking that getting a centre back in is some kind of slant on our existing defence, it's not.

The fact is this, we have two players for every position apart from one, yes you guessed it, centre back.

The sort of rent that we should be looking at spending on a forward won't be available in this window, in my opinion.

It's not as though we need the goals to stay up, so it needs a proper looking at in the summer.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3347 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Totally agree with your views regarding a new striker. I think it's been needed from the beginning of the season simply because those incumbent,despite their popularity, were no better than adequate. Goals tally this season seems to reflect that,I think.
Getting a 'goalscorer', of course, is probably the most difficult acquisition of all. I hope sincerely that it happens(especially if the injury to Wood proves more serious than first thought) but somehow I don't believe it will. Consequently it will be the defence we rely on to get us through the rest of the season.
I think what makes discussing our current striking options and our lack of goals "for" difficult is that we aren't actually getting into many serious attacking positions very often any more. I believe Vokes, Barnes (and Wood) are all well capable of scoring at this level, but the service in the final third is being seriously stifled. Any new striker, even one with a proven record at PL (or similar) level, might well struggle to make an impact just now.

KateR
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:43 pm

I think we will have no more incomings for the first team. Rest of this season will be about our strikers proving they can score with the right service plus two signings proving they can provide the service.

Don't see a CB in the mix at all as SD has confidence in Long as back up plus 14 games to go and defense not really showing signs of weakness that would take us in to a relegation battle. More consolidation, stay in the league look for more improvements in the summer.

I would like to see someone come in from an international perspective who can adapt and play, where PL wages would be attractive to young talent from Europe, or even strait from Asia and dare I say South American continent but don't see it happening personally but feel we can afford to gamble a little on a none British/Irish player.

MDWat
Been Liked: 879 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:11 pm

Spijed wrote:At the moment, scoring goals is a far bigger issue than defending.
We have 5 strikers and 3 centre halves. We have 34 points and are nigh on safe. We need a centre half. Striker can wait.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:21 pm

No need for a striker now, Lennon and nkoudou give us that different dimension we needed. Our strikers will bag enough if we create better chances more often and those two will help with that.

Centre half is the priority, a young one who can learn how we play and be patient. Long, as well as he's done, isn't adequate on his own as backup.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:21 pm

I agree with Kate. We have cover for every position and unless anyone leaves I’d expect us to not sign anyone.
Mike Garlick only promised to end the transfer window with a stronger squad than we started it. And this looks set to be achieved with two decent and potentially exciting acquisitions.

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:40 pm

Braindead wrote:Why will it come back to bite us? Pray tell. We have a good mix of experienced pros and a smattering of young players in and around the squad so we are doing things correctly at the moment, our league position and healthy finances are testament to this.

Your constant negativity about all things Burnley is laughable and embarrassing.

Sort yourself out.
Out of curiosity who are these smattering of young players in and around the squad you refer ?
Don’t think there’s a single one unless I’m mistaken, aside from the Spurs loanee. Unless you consider mid-late 30’s as young in footballing terms ?

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:52 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:Out of curiosity who are these smattering of young players in and around the squad you refer ?
Don’t think there’s a single one unless I’m mistaken, aside from the Spurs loanee. Unless you consider mid-late 30’s as young in footballing terms ?
Tarkowski
Brady
Pope
Wood
Taylor
Hendrick

All 26 years old or younger.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:57 pm

26 isn't young for a footballer

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:08 pm

Skipton said "unless you consider mid-late 30’s as young in footballing terms", so I was showing him that we have a good number younger than that.

D8BFC
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by D8BFC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:58 pm

If the plan is for 2 in every position, then we will still be after a No10 and CB.

1 more in i say before the 30th Jan.

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:05 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Skipton said "unless you consider mid-late 30’s as young in footballing terms", so I was showing him that we have a good number younger than that.
Typo. I meant mid-late 20’s. Agree with poster above, 26 is not young for a footballer.
We don’t have any young players in or around the squad aside, as I said, from the Spurs loanee.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3604 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:27 pm

We are operating on a different level to when we needed a slew of kids in our squad for us to develop and sell on due to financial pressure.

Signing cheap selling high is a great strategy, to get to the point we now are at. I am not suggesting we should be spending bazillions on players now as opposed to punts from lower leagues, but the signing of Lennon shows what our strategy now is.

Fourth choice etc we can look for a younger player to develop, but as per Tarkowski and Taylor, I would expect them to be very experienced for their comparatively young age.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:41 pm

Like previous posters have said i wouldnt be to suprised now if we didnt sign anybody else until the summer because we over acheived in the first half of the season and got the points on the board

burnleytom
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by burnleytom » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:52 am

Centre half, 'number 10', centre forward. Not necessarily in that order.

To be honest, I'm comfortable enough with what we have, given the points on the board. I'd prefer we spent another 6 months scouting Europe, trying to find a player with potential, or an 'improver', rather than over-pay for a 3rd or 4th choice centre half in January, which would ultimately block the path of anyone coming in in the summer. In terms of the '10' and the centre forward, I'd say we are looking for starters, so happy to pay higher numbers for them.

Reecey1987

Post by Reecey1987 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:04 am

KRBFC wrote:We should go and beat Newcastle to the signing of Nicolai Jorgensen, 26 goals in 43 appearances for Feyenoord who won the league last year.
Hes 27 for that kind of money we would have to pay for him i would be hoping we would be looking at someone younger .

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:42 pm

I think any more business we do now will be on the 30th / 31st.

Nothing floating around the press at the moment.

Centre half -
Liam Moore - Reading
Pontus Jansson - Leeds

Attacking Midfielder -
Tom Cairney - Fulham
Jota - Birmingham

Baring in mind I'd be shocked if we spend £10million plus on both positions.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:45 pm

Brighton about to sign U20 World Cup winner Ezri Konsa from Charlton.

70 appearances and still a kid.

The sort of central defender we should be looking at.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:58 pm

A young centre half who can be groomed for the future and this will have been a top, top window for us.

As for the suggestions we need another striker and/or number 10 - really, we don't. The players we have to fill those positions have done fine so far, and no doubt they'll be helped by the addition of pace and hopefully quality in the final third in the shape of Lennon in particular and NKoudou.

We know Dyche wanted pace on a flank in the summer - we tried to sign Lennon then too and nearly did. It seems sensible to see how the players he's identified to fit into this system - particularly Woof and Hendrick, but also potentially Arfield and Vokes too - get on now we've really got the players to play it, rather than writing them off before we've completed the experiment.

We all need to be patient. Buying players is part of our progression as a club, but its not the only ingredient. The other aspect is continuously improving and unlocking all the potential of those players we already have, which involves giving them the time and opportunity to flourish rather than writing them off - in Wood's case - in the window immediately after the one in which they signed.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:04 pm

Walters out and also Wood( nobody seems to know for how long) and we virtually have the same strike force we had three years ago. Needs to be better.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:08 pm

So what you're saying is, but for the striker we spent a club record fee on, we've got the strikers we previously had.

The point is we did sign Wood. Just because he's injured for a few weeks we shouldn't toss him aside and replace him. That sort of model isn't sustainable.

Incidentally, one of those strikers who we had 3 years ago got 10 league goals last season, but hasn't been able to get too many games this campaign.

Reecey1987

Post by Reecey1987 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:18 pm

claretspice wrote:So what you're saying is, but for the striker we spent a club record fee on, we've got the strikers we previously had.

The point is we did sign Wood. Just because he's injured for a few weeks we shouldn't toss him aside and replace him. That sort of model isn't sustainable.

Incidentally, one of those strikers who we had 3 years ago got 10 league goals last season, but hasn't been able to get too many games this campaign.
So how long in your opinion do we give them before we take action and buy a new striker ? We have lennon now and that lad from spurs plus the rest of the midfield to start feeding the strikers so there shouldnt really be any more complaints

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:34 pm

I haven't suggested we 'toss him aside', I've suggested an addition to the squad if he's likely to be out for a considerable time. He might not be.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6759 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:43 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:Brighton about to sign U20 World Cup winner Ezri Konsa from Charlton.

if he fits our criteria?

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:44 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:I haven't suggested we 'toss him aside', I've suggested an addition to the squad if he's likely to be out for a considerable time. He might not be.
If Wood is going to be out for much longer a new striker is a must although I still wouldn’t be surprised if we are trying to bring one in anyway and maybe look to ship Vokes out.

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:48 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:If Wood is going to be out for much longer a new striker is a must although I still wouldn’t be surprised if we are trying to bring one in anyway and maybe look to ship Vokes out.
Agree with all of that except I would think that maybe it would be Wells and not Vokes that we would be looking to ship out probably on loan

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:51 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:I haven't suggested we 'toss him aside', I've suggested an addition to the squad if he's likely to be out for a considerable time. He might not be.
I suppose it depends what you view as a considerable period of time. There's no suggestion he's going to miss the rest of the season or even close to it. If he was, I might agree with you, although I think Barnes and Vokes are able understudies. But if he's going to be out for a few more weeks, it feels remarkably disposable to spend what would presumably be more than the £15 million we spent on Wood, just to cover a relatively short term injury when we have perfectly viable substitutes.

Vokes in particular seems to me to be getting prematurely written off - he got 10 goals last season, which is an excellent return, but also of all our strikers he he's probably the best placed to bring a pacey winger into the gaame because he's excellent at linking up with someone bursting beyond him as target man (think INgs' goal v QPR way back in the first Championship promotion season, and his assist for JBG at home to Palace last year. He's a substitute/understudy these days, not an automatic starter, but isn't that in itself a sign of reasonable progress in the space of 12 months?

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:53 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:So how long in your opinion do we give them before we take action and buy a new striker ? We have lennon now and that lad from spurs plus the rest of the midfield to start feeding the strikers so there shouldnt really be any more complaints
Long enough for them to prove themselves one way or the other. Part of our reputation and ability to attract players rests on them getting a fair crack of the whip.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:01 pm

' There's no suggestion he's going to miss the rest of the season'

I wouldn't know. I hope not but it's 5 weeks out now so the 'touch and go' regarding the Huddersfield fixture doesn't fill me with any great optimism about a return soon.

Reecey1987

Post by Reecey1987 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:15 pm

claretspice wrote:Long enough for them to prove themselves one way or the other. Part of our reputation and ability to attract players rests on them getting a fair crack of the whip.
Fair point everybody as there own opinion . We have been crying out for some pace down the wings and we have finally got it . I just think we need something different up top were a bit too predictable . We dont know when wood is likely to be back because all the manager keeps saying is hes getting there same with ward . If we had another striker thats different to the ones we already i dont think wells will be here much longer i think dyche was pushed into buying him because he needed somebody else and the other targets we was after went elsewere

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:42 pm

I think we need to push the boat out for a really good striker, but if there's nothing available would rather we waited until the summer rather than lumber ourselves with yet another player who's no better than what we already have.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:48 pm

jrgbfc wrote:I think we need to push the boat out for a really good striker, but if there's nothing available would rather we waited until the summer rather than lumber ourselves with yet another player who's no better than what we already have.
So you'd be happy to ditch a player who cost £16 million if need be?

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 pm

Tens to agree with KateR and one or two other earlier posters in that I don't think we'll be
bringing any more this window. Possibly if someone leaves.

The good news will be that we should have more than a reasonable amount to play with
in the summer even if the wage bill were to go up say 10-20%.

We could do with Wood back asap to gives us more up front but we've got
the pacy wingers in that were clearly a priority so let's hope we can settle them in quickly and
get the results we need to keep us in the top half which in itself could net us another 10-15m.

Certainly it seems those teams ( well, most of them) in and around the bottom three (and there's lots of them)
will be splashing out and bringing a few in.

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:58 pm

Ronaldo is about done at Real. Why not go for him?

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:59 pm

I like to think big. I still think that we should have gone for John Terry, even if he is literally "on the other team."

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:02 pm

Spijed wrote:So you'd be happy to ditch a player who cost £16 million if need be?
Not saying we should ditch Wood, but he's not much use to us on the treatment table is he? Not convinced he's much better than what we already had either on what I've seen so far.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:08 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Not saying we should ditch Wood, but he's not much use to us on the treatment table is he? Not convinced he's much better than what we already had either on what I've seen so far.
Nothing like judging a player on a few games is there?

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:08 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Not saying we should ditch Wood, but he's not much use to us on the treatment table is he? Not convinced he's much better than what we already had either on what I've seen so far.
You see, this is often the problem in football. Players and managers are judged ludicrously quickly and in the rush to form snap judgments before anyone can sensibly have had a genuine chance to adapt to their surroundings, players and managers are chucked aside in favour of spending even more money on something new and exciting. One shortish term injury and there is a clamour to replace.

Thing is, our success under Dyche has been built on doing almost the exact opposite of this and I don't think it's a coincidence.
These 2 users liked this post: COBBLE billyhamilton82

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:38 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:Brighton about to sign U20 World Cup winner Ezri Konsa from Charlton.

:? You won't win owt with kids!

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:32 pm

ontario claret wrote:Ronaldo is about done at Real. Why not go for him?

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:59 pm

I can't wait to see how SD fits an attacking front 3 (with skill more balanced to attacking than defending) on top of a proven midfield and defence structure without surrendering our defensive strength. He may not achieve it but I hope he has a go.
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas Claret jlup1980

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:25 am

It's very quiet on the Burnley front isn't it. I'm expecting more activity before the end of the month. Probably more outgoings than incomings to be honest. Surely Ulvestad will look for a move for starters? Hopefully we'll be in for a CB but other than that I don't think we're desperate anywhere else.