England v Italy

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Re: England v Italy

Post by WestMidsClaret » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 am

It's not good for the new tech if the ref goes against an incident that VAR has picked up!!

PS that's never a penalty. There'll be a lot of pens given if VAR picks up on every non event contact in the area and the refs under pressure to give it because VAR has alerted him to something!!

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:21 am

To me it seemed a ridiculous decision but genuinely I no longer seem to know or understand the rules. I’ve been playing football for more than 40 years and watching it and i’m completely confused.

Clearly i’m not the only one. Glen Hoddle and Lee Dixon had opposing views. Lee Dixon said if that was outside the area it would be a foul so should also be a foul inside the area.

Clearly it was not intentional but that does not seem to matter. However, contact does not necessarily equal foul. So this seems to come down to whether the player was impeded and in this case even though he must have been impeded he was already falling as he’d lost balance so can you be impeded “more” when you are already falling ?

So extremely confusing but what I do think is that most referees would not have given that - and where there is so much inconsistency the laws need changing / clearing up. Unfortunately this will not be done in time for World Cup and there will be VAR carnage.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1034 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:35 pm

VAR will ensure that the "right" 4 teams reach the semi final stage of this years World Cup. There will be incidents where a less worthy team won't have situations reviewed where as those teams that are deemed favourable will have even the slightest possible indiscretion reviewed in the hope something can be found in their favour

Spain/Brazil/Germany/France ;)

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3157 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:02 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:VAR will ensure that the "right" 4 teams reach the semi final stage of this years World Cup. There will be incidents where a less worthy team won't have situations reviewed where as those teams that are deemed favourable will have even the slightest possible indiscretion reviewed in the hope something can be found in their favour

Spain/Brazil/Germany/France ;)
and here's me thinking it would be set-up for Messi or Ronaldo

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:43 pm

claretburns wrote:If that was a West Brom player against Burnley this weekend we'd all be screaming penalty, so can't complain.
We wouldn't have got a penalty though would we.

There is a case for giving a penalty last night but it's not clear and obvious.

Hendrick's at Huddersfield was clear and obvious even Wagner admitted as much afterwards.

The danger is refs will refer to VAR for 50/50s not for the major incidents.

italianclaret88
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by italianclaret88 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:57 pm

tiger76 wrote:We wouldn't have got a penalty though would we.

There is a case for giving a penalty last night but it's not clear and obvious.

Hendrick's at Huddersfield was clear and obvious even Wagner admitted as much afterwards.

The danger is refs will refer to VAR for 50/50s not for the major incidents.

I think var is a good thing for football..specially in cases like penalties and offsides gol...for us in italy it seems that is working very well...i was at huddersfield game and that was a f***** penalty....100% without var....then if we talk about that var ruins maybe atmopshere and the "momentum" of the game i agree 100%....

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:How the **** is it flawed? lol. 85 mins VAR is consulted. 86 mins a penalty is awarded. 87 mins the penalty is scored.

Find me 5 minutes from that please.
I couldn't find five minutes...you were confident of your case.post 185 you mentioned 1 minute.now you've upped it to two minutes,I rest my case.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8726 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:07 pm

I like the Rugby way of doing it.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:44 pm

I was at Wembley last night. Didn't realise that VAR was in play until the ref raced over to the halfway line before awarding the pen. That suggests it was used discretely and with minimal impact for most of the game. The Mexican waves had been in full swing for at least 10 mins so I wouldn't worry too much about the spectator impact at England games.

I think the ref got the decision wrong but surely it's better that they have the best info available. It makes it easier to judge the quality of the ref's decision making and weed out poor officials in the long run. You have to cut refs a lot of slack for making calls in real time but if they balls it up on VAR, it's there for all to see. Sure, it's sh1t at the moment, but I am more optimistic that we should see convergence and less ref interpretation over time.

Let's get it right through usage in international games and League One (and lower) before we deploy it at our higher standard of play.

UTC!

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:57 pm

I'm not sure what any specific rule may state in the referee's book
and how clear it is in terms of contact in relation to any other aspects
i.e. was the opposing player already falling before contact was made and/or in which direction.
If it states that any player touching an opponent or placing his foot on the opponents' foot
and not touching the ball first is deemed as a foul then I suppose it was a foul and given it was in the area then a penalty.

Still have my doubts.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:45 am

tim_noone wrote:I couldn't find five minutes...you were confident of your case.post 185 you mentioned 1 minute.now you've upped it to two minutes,I rest my case.
What? 86 - 85 != 2
This user liked this post: tim_noone

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1034 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:07 am

Chester Perry wrote:and here's me thinking it would be set-up for Messi or Ronaldo
It's the country and not the individual that FIFA find appealing in tournament football

claretburns
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:39 pm

I just don't understand why it has to be the ref running to the dugout to view the screen, surely someone in the stadium can look at the replay and say in his ear what the outcome should be?

Also along with this I notice in England when VAR is used in the FA Cup this season the "video referee" has been in some building in West London, why can't they be in the stadium and just watch a monitor or even more just get the 4th official to view the monitor at the dugouts?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:25 am

claretburns wrote:I just don't understand why it has to be the ref running to the dugout to view the screen, surely someone in the stadium can look at the replay and say in his ear what the outcome should be?

Also along with this I notice in England when VAR is used in the FA Cup this season the "video referee" has been in some building in West London, why can't they be in the stadium and just watch a monitor or even more just get the 4th official to view the monitor at the dugouts?
Because that would be ****.... for the tv viewer. :evil: