Ladies Football

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Hbclaret007
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Ladies Football

Post by Hbclaret007 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 am

I watched most of the FA cup game between Chelsea and Man City ladies yesterday.
There is no doubt that they are technically skillful, but for me it still has a feel of watching park football.
The second Chelsea goal was well taken, but the City goalie look very lightweight.
I am trying to be objective, but what do others think?
The BBC seem to give a good deal of coverage to ladies football, but is there the demand?
Just over 3000 for this game and just under 1500 for the other semi-final. It seems a struggle to make the game popular.

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Re: Ladies Football

Post by starting_11 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:03 am

Hbclaret007 wrote:I watched most of the FA cup game between Chelsea and Man City ladies yesterday.
There is no doubt that they are technically skillful, but for me it still has a feel of watching park football.
The second Chelsea goal was well taken, but the City goalie look very lightweight.
The BBC seem to give a good deal of coverage to ladies football, but is there the demand?
Just over 3000 for this game and just under 1500 for the other semi-final. It seems a struggle to make the game popular.
There's a reason its on the BBC. And it's nothing to do with popularity, though it'll tick a nice few boxes for "diversity" etc.

Shame they can't spend public money actually showing what the public want to watch thought isn't it.

No football,no horse racing, no golf, no F1, no cricket... but it's ok, we've got womens football!
This user liked this post: Blackrod

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:06 am

We've been here before, it's not much of a spectator sport if you're used to watching men's football.

But the fact thousands of women are enjoying playing it, joining clubs and getting involved is only a good thing. If showing the odd game on telly encourages a few more, why not. I don't get the antipathy towards it, it's not like there isn't enough coverage of the men's game. If women's football isn't for you, then don't watch.

I know a few that play, my daughter plays at junior level, and not one of them cares at all if men sitting on their sofas are entertained. It's a participation sport, trying to make it a spectator sport is unlikely to work.
These 3 users liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR bob-the-scutter Ashingtonclaret46

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2973 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:07 am

starting_11 wrote:There's a reason its on the BBC. And it's nothing to do with popularity, though it'll tick a nice few boxes for "diversity" etc.

Shame they can't spend public money actually showing what the public want to watch thought isn't it.

No football,no horse racing, no golf, no F1, no cricket... but it's ok, we've got womens football!
Wrong side of the bed this morning ? :lol:

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:12 am

I’ve been on ladies footie a few times and enjoyed it. It hasn’t got the pace of the men’s game and some of the keepers can be iffy but the technical skills and passion are still there. Don’t compare it just sit back and enjoy.
These 2 users liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR Ashingtonclaret46

Hbclaret007
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Hbclaret007 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:14 am

NottsClaret wrote:We've been here before, it's not much of a spectator sport if you're used to watching men's football.

But the fact thousands of women are enjoying playing it, joining clubs and getting involved is only a good thing. If showing the odd game on telly encourages a few more, why not. I don't get the antipathy towards it, it's not like there isn't enough coverage of the men's game. If women's football isn't for you, then don't watch.

I know a few that play, my daughter plays at junior level, and not one of them cares at all if men sitting on their sofas are entertained. It's a participation sport, trying to make it a spectator sport is unlikely to work.
I'm not sure why it's not a spectator sport? Could it be the format? Pitches/goals too big?
I also think it is good thousands of women enjoy playing it - my 25 year old daughter has just started playing a bit, but she has no interest in watching the ladies game. (Keen on watching the Clarets of course!)

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 am

Hbclaret007 wrote:I'm not sure why it's not a spectator sport? Could it be the format? Pitches/goals too big?
I also think it is good thousands of women enjoy playing it - my 25 year old daughter has just started playing a bit, but she has no interest in watching the ladies game. (Keen on watching the Clarets of course!)
I just think it's because of the comparison to the men's game, which is always going to be so much faster, stronger.. just better I guess. That's why I don't think the FA should worry too much about people going to watch, just keep pushing up the numbers playing.

Good that your daughter is getting involved, it's funny how much you enjoy watching the games when you're supporting someone as opposed to just viewing a match impartially. And mine is the same, she's no interest in watching women's football at all, but will be on the Turf on Thursday.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:25 am

Give Jacqui Oatley, Caroline Barker and Juliette Farrington exclusive rights to host, commentate and interview the ladies` games and I`d be wholly supportive!!!!

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1474 times
Has Liked: 634 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:47 pm

If you essentially ban a sport for 50 years there is bound to be an affect.

If you get the support of your cronies at The BMJ to say it is bad for women's health and if you are propped up by support from the government it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

What the FA did to the women's game was despicable, the BBC is probably making up for the scandalous history involving women's football, but I tell you if the men's game were banned for the next 50 years, they'd have a hard time catching up with the women when they were allowed to play again following the ban.

Women and Men draw similar sized crowds 100 years ago and the women raised a lot of money for good causes.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 tiger76

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Women's football will grow and grow. Its massive in Canada and USA and growing in Europe.

Its a good thing that the BBC are giving it more coverage.

Personally I would watch highlights at the World Cup or the Euros in the big England games. England have some good players and the technical skills and fitness is good. Seen the Chelsea manager on the Debate on Sky and also heard her on the radio and she is extremely knowledgeable about the game - she speaks a lot more sense than the likes of Pardew and some of the other has beens.

The only thing that does not appear to have improved much is the goalkeeping - bit of a mystery but many of them look poor and often get beat from long distance (maybe a size thing).
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:30 pm

following a team is a lot more than just about who's on the pitch, womens football doesn't have any us v them about it.
It isn't a high standard anyway technically, so based on that alone it wouldn't draw big crowds.
There is a total lack of real tribalism which historically is associated with mens game.
not much to get excited about .

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:35 pm

No thanks.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:55 pm

Wonder if Manure having a Ladies team next season will give more profile to the Woman's League.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:34 pm

Would like them to be less masculine

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:50 pm

TVC15 wrote:Women's football will grow and grow. Its massive in Canada and USA and growing in Europe.

Its a good thing that the BBC are giving it more coverage.

Personally I would watch highlights at the World Cup or the Euros in the big England games. England have some good players and the technical skills and fitness is good. Seen the Chelsea manager on the Debate on Sky and also heard her on the radio and she is extremely knowledgeable about the game - she speaks a lot more sense than the likes of Pardew and some of the other has beens.

The only thing that does not appear to have improved much is the goalkeeping - bit of a mystery but many of them look poor and often get beat from long distance (maybe a size thing).
The goalkeeping mystery is probably exactly as you say. It's not a mystery really (and I'm being lead here by my wife who has a degree in psychology and certainly wouldn't say this if it were not true), it's is almost certainly down to visual/spatial ability and awareness. Men and women are very different in many ways and women are better than men at many things but a well documented difference is a woman's inferior visual spatial awareness. It is a fact that has been proven time and again in psychological studies and experiments and the only reason that has been given (as no-one knows for certain) is from the distant past when men were hunters etc. This has also been given as the reason why, despite the fact that they are proven safer drivers, they have more difficulty in manoeuvring and parking. Thus it is no surprise that women don't make good goalkeepers.
To even things up nature decided that we guys wouldn't be able to multi-task worth a damn and we don't handle pain as well as women.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Like I said - they are crap in the nets !

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6847 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:07 pm

It's ok. TBH I prefer women's to mens tennis as the lack of physicality means more skilful games IMHO. Football needs to be more physical and the soil is still there.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:15 pm

bfcjg wrote:It's ok. TBH I prefer women's to mens tennis as the lack of physicality means more skilful games IMHO. Football needs to be more physical and the soil is still there.
Women's tennis IS more skilful than men's, which relies heavily on power, strength and speed, but it is also far more pleasing to the eye. Oops, sorry, what am I thinking?

RocketLawnChair

Post by RocketLawnChair » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:41 pm

Perhaps the goalkeepers don't want to damage a fingernail...

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Hbclaret007 wrote:I watched most of the FA cup game between Chelsea and Man City ladies yesterday.
Good healthy recreation kicking a ball about good to see everyone enjoying it.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:23 pm

It's on a par with Women's cricket.. So it's Schite .

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:44 pm

bfcjg wrote:It's ok. TBH I prefer women's to mens tennis as the lack of physicality means more skilful games IMHO. Football needs to be more physical and the soil is still there.
Don't worry, the way that FIFA are trying to sanitise the game we will see more physicality in womens' games than in the PL ;)
Last edited by Ashingtonclaret46 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by KeighleyClaret » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Caernarfon_Claret wrote: If you get the support of your cronies at The BMJ to say it is bad for women's health and if you are propped up by support from the government it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.
Nowt to do with the BMJ, which is essentially a Journal containing medical research, nor even the BMA which is a Doctors trade union.

I think the FA sorted out the ban without any real help, as they were worried that the Ladies game was becoming more popular than the Mens.

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1474 times
Has Liked: 634 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:06 pm

KeighleyClaret wrote:Nowt to do with the BMJ, which is essentially a Journal containing medical research, nor even the BMA which is a Doctors trade union.

I think the FA sorted out the ban without any real help, as they were worried that the Ladies game was becoming more popular than the Mens.
There was definitely an article in the BMJ in 1921 supporting the idea that football was bad for female reproductive health, which the FA used to strengthen their argument.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:10 pm

Women banned from playing footy, you just can’t believe it can you.

Archie Claret
Been Liked: 89 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by Archie Claret » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:48 pm

Personally I think the standard is getting better all the time ( keepers apart), and I don’t mind watching the odd game, but I am a bit of a sports saddo and if the half time kids were on I’d probably stop and watch them as well!
I’ll give the ladies their dues, some of the challenges are quite robust and they certainly don’t roll around squealing like some of their male counterparts. Good luck I say.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:14 pm

I do wonder how many of those having a go have actually been to watch a game involving ladies.
Burnley ladies are doing quite well this season and, in spite of living 150 miles away, I have watched them play twice in the FA Cup.
It is not the same as watching the Clarets, however, it is great to see a team playing with enthusiasm and not feigning injuries and play acting as happens so much in the mens' game.

RocketLawnChair

Post by RocketLawnChair » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:59 am

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:I do wonder how many of those having a go have actually been to watch a game involving ladies.
Burnley ladies are doing quite well this season and, in spite of living 150 miles away, I have watched them play twice in the FA Cup.
It is not the same as watching the Clarets, however, it is great to see a team playing with enthusiasm and not feigning injuries and play acting as happens so much in the mens' game.
Didn't the England Ladies have a player sent off for diving in there last match ?

Baliclaret
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Baliclaret » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:03 pm

A contrast to nearly a hundred years ago when a team called Dick Kerr's Ladies played charity games at Deepdale,Old Trafford,Anfield and at Goodison where 53000 turned up and 10000 locked out ! They also played at Burnley Cricket Club ground !!

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:41 pm

RocketLawnChair wrote:Perhaps the goalkeepers don't want to damage a fingernail...
It might also be down to the fact that they have two very sensitive assets sat right on their chest. Throwing themselves to the ground or standing in the way of a full blooded shot could prove painful, not to mention damaging. Men also have sensitive areas but at least they are not prominently at the front of their bodies. I suppose this and the visual/spatial problem would mean we would never see a very good female keeper.

RocketLawnChair

Post by RocketLawnChair » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:11 pm

houseboy wrote:It might also be down to the fact that they have two very sensitive assets sat right on their chest. Throwing themselves to the ground or standing in the way of a full blooded shot could prove painful, not to mention damaging. Men also have sensitive areas but at least they are not prominently at the front of their bodies. I suppose this and the visual/spatial problem would mean we would never see a very good female keeper.
Why, Where's your cock and balls?

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:25 pm

I watched the women's beach volleyball in the Commonwealth Games.

Now there's a sport far better than the men's. ;) 8-)

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:04 pm

RocketLawnChair wrote:Why, Where's your cock and balls?
Not on my chest. Where's yours?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:06 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:I watched the women's beach volleyball in the Commonwealth Games.

Now there's a sport far better than the men's. ;) 8-)
Mmm! It's like Carlsberg, possibly the best in the world. Does anyone actually watch the ball though, apart from the players?