The Great idea of the sugar tax

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rightfoot
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 74 times

The Great idea of the sugar tax

Post by Rightfoot » Mon May 14, 2018 9:09 pm

330ml cans and 500ml bottles of sugary drinks have clearly had a big price hike and has had the desired effect on me as I don't buy them any more, instead I go for 1.25 - 2 litre bottles that can be bought for in every supermarket, Tesco express, Spar etc etc for nearly 40% Cheaper than a 500ml bottle, who actually thinks these ideas up?
This user liked this post: starting_11

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Re: The Great idea of the sugar tax

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Mon May 14, 2018 9:18 pm

Tories?

john'sroseyspecs
Been Liked: 364 times

Post by john'sroseyspecs » Mon May 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Politicians. Say the first thing an advisor whispers into their ear which they think will make them appear to care. What they should say is parents, if your kids are fat, that's your responsibility. Not the government's.

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Mon May 14, 2018 9:50 pm

john'sroseyspecs wrote:Politicians. Say the first thing an advisor whispers into their ear which they think will make them appear to care. What they should say is parents, if your kids are fat, that's your responsibility. Not the government's.
The problem is the media will always pin the blame on Governments and they portray it in a way as the public are blaming them. But I agree. I'm over weight because I like beer & cakes not because they didn't tax them more :)

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6916 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon May 14, 2018 9:51 pm

I just buy juice and put loads of spoons of sugar in saves me a fortune,so much so that I can now afford to pay for my fillings without a Quick Quid loan.
These 2 users liked this post: BFCmaj nonayclaret

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1475 times
Has Liked: 634 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Mon May 14, 2018 9:55 pm

I think it's the fact that juices for instance and cereals are sold as healthy when they have more than the recommended daily amount of sugar in them, a recipe for obesity, diabetes and other life limiting health conditions.

Not the government's fault but time these giant companies are not allowed to profit at their customer's expense.

And certainly advertising targeted at children is clearly wrong.

john'sroseyspecs
Been Liked: 364 times

Post by john'sroseyspecs » Mon May 14, 2018 9:58 pm

Children don't do the weekly shop. The word is no! I also like beer and cake

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Mon May 14, 2018 10:03 pm

Diabetics cost the NHS more than smokers used to.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon May 14, 2018 10:12 pm

It really puzzles me when I see adults guzzling multiple 500ml cans of what I can only describe (from the smell) as liquid Germolene.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Mon May 14, 2018 10:14 pm

It's like when they banned cigarettes in packets of 10.
Now the 10 a day smokers are 20 a day smokers.
These 2 users liked this post: Jel starting_11

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:30 pm

john'sroseyspecs wrote:Politicians. Say the first thing an advisor whispers into their ear which they think will make them appear to care. What they should say is parents, if your kids are fat, that's your responsibility. Not the government's.
Until they get diabetes etc and then it is the taxpayers responsibility
Just to cheer you up 20-25% of hospital beds are occupied by people with diabetes.
About 5% of the population have diabetes
Biggest risk for getting diabetes-obesity-duration and amount.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Mon May 14, 2018 11:32 pm

Last edited by If it be your will on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: mdd2

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Tue May 15, 2018 7:03 am

Rightfoot wrote:330ml cans and 500ml bottles of sugary drinks have clearly had a big price hike and has had the desired effect on me as I don't buy them any more, instead I go for 1.25 - 2 litre bottles that can be bought for in every supermarket, Tesco express, Spar etc etc for nearly 40% Cheaper than a 500ml bottle, who actually thinks these ideas up?
So you carry a 2 litre bottle of coke around or do you decant it into a smaller bottle? Doesn't it go flat or do you drink so much of it? Do people laugh at you when you tell them you have just upped your consumption of fizzy drink, thinking you're being "clever"?

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2037 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Tue May 15, 2018 9:26 am

Coca-Cola don't do their pop in anything bigger than 1.75l anymore do they?

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Tue May 15, 2018 9:29 am

Surgeon is going to ban 2 for 1 pizzas now after a meeting with Jamie Oliver

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Tue May 15, 2018 9:36 am

I think it is important to clarify the term DIABETES here because I sense a little blame on this thread for Diabetics & the cost of it for the taxpayer there are 2 types:
Diabetes Type 1 where sugar,diet,carbohydtrates, etc. is in no way related to the cause of the condition. It is auto-immune condition where the body attacks itself falsely, which causes the pancreas to stop producing insulin therefore manual injections are needed for life.
Diabetes Type 2 is a term for different types of problems related to the pancreas & producing insulin, sometimes the body becomes insulin resistant; sometimes, the insulin producing cells in the pancreas need stimulus to produce insulin; The main cause though is related to food intake and lifestyle and it can be controlled and reversed through diet and lifestyle changes.

The sugar tax is a nonsense, there is sugar in almost all products, or different forms of it, that we eat every day. Processed food has probably got a lot to account for regards obesity and the increase in Type 2 Diabetes. I would imagine that people who eat freshly cooked meals every day, and not prepared,processed,quick,warmed up stuff, or takeaways and fast food, and beer and fizzy pop, won't develop Type 2 Diabetes.

Again, I imagine that the hospitalisations quoted before are about problems associated with Diabetes, which is incredibly vague because basically every function in the body can be harmed by Diabetes and though there should be more responsibility in preventing Type 2 Diabetes by individuals themselves, it is ill-informed to put blame once they have the condition and fill up hospital beds, the condition is a nasty one to live with, and habits are difficult to change.
These 2 users liked this post: IAmAClaret Quickenthetempo

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Tue May 15, 2018 12:13 pm

The difference is what else is in the food we eat beside the sugar, foods that have high fibre along with sugar are ok.

I think of all the drinks containing sugar, milk is the healthiest, as long as you can tolerate the sugar (lactose). This is to do with the fact that lactose is a more complex sugar.

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Tue May 15, 2018 12:35 pm

I do wish they renamed Type 2 Diabetes to something else, because it is a completely different condition to Type 1.

Type 2 can be prevented, Type 1 can't.
Type 2 can be treated through diet and lifestyle, Type 1 can't.
Just to cheer you up 20-25% of hospital beds are occupied by people with diabetes.
For instance, to break those figures down further:

About 5% of the population have diabetes - Type 2 equates for 90% of this figure.
20-25% of hospital beds are occupied by people with diabetes - Type 2 equates for 90% of this figure too.

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Post by dsr » Tue May 15, 2018 12:49 pm

mdd2 wrote:Until they get diabetes etc and then it is the taxpayers responsibility
Biggest risk for getting diabetes-obesity-duration and amount.
Everybody dies of something, and it's usually expensive when it happens. There may be reasons for the government to try and cut obesity, but cost isn't one of them. Dementia is a condition which disproportionately affects thin people who don't have diabetes - are dementia costs factored into the equations of the cost of obesity?

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 837 times

Post by starting_11 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:50 pm

Damo wrote:It's like when they banned cigarettes in packets of 10.
Aye.

I was a casual smoker when out at the pub. I'd buy 10 and prolly have 5 or 6 and usually chuck or give the rest away.

Then they got banned and I started buying 20 packs... resulting in, yes, me smoking more of them and what was left at home the next night.

Clever idea eh!
This user liked this post: Damo

houseboy
Been Liked: 2242 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 pm

I think we need to get one thing clear here, the sugar tax has nothing whatsoever to do with cutting obesity and making people healthier, it is simply a tax. All governments but particularly the Tories do this kind of thing to raise revenue. The Tories especially always make much of the fact that they are the 'party of low taxation' because all they are concerned with is income tax and, yes, income tax tends to be lower under them than Labour, but the funding for tax cuts has to be got from somewhere, they can't just wave bye bye to hundreds of millions of pounds in revenue so they have to replace it somehow. So along comes the sugar tax, or the increase in cigarette taxation, or alcohol or petrol and then they say it's for health reasons or the environment and people think 'oh well it's for good reasons' and it all goes through smoothly. The biggest tax con ever was in the 80's when Thatcher gave massive tax cuts (mainly to the already wealthy but we all got a cut somehow), then along came the increase in VAT from 8% to 15% with a broadening of the items subject to it. Thatcher said it was giving people more money to spend then they could choose what to spend it on, giving the impression that you could somehow avoid paying the VAT increase by not buying things, but after the changes it was difficult to find anything that wasn't subject to it.

Curbing the use of something by imposing extra costs is wrong on every level and always and in every case punishes the responsible majority to account for the irresponsible. If people have fat kids then they should take care of that problem themselves without imposing 'fines' on the innocent. If kids have rotting teeth it's the parents responsibility not the governments. If people want to kill themselves or make themselves ill due to lifestyle choices it's their responsibility. It just gives the government, any government, the opportunity to use it as a way of raising tax by stealth, and believe me they will grab that opportunity with both hands.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3965 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue May 15, 2018 2:32 pm

dsr wrote: Dementia is a condition which disproportionately affects thin people who don't have diabetes - are dementia costs factored into the equations of the cost of obesity?
It is true that the results of one survey did indeed suggest that people who were thin in middle age were more likely to develop dementia in later life, although it is contradicted by other studies.
However the most likely reason for thin people being more prone to dementia than those who are overweight, is because statistically they tend to live a lot longer!

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Tue May 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Damo wrote:It's like when they banned cigarettes in packets of 10.
I was a casual smoker, used to smoke at the Turf until they banned (that’s a different argument!) and a few if I was at the pub. When I had to start paying £10 for 20 I gave up.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:10 pm

"Again, I imagine that the hospitalisations quoted before are about problems associated with Diabetes, which is incredibly vague because basically every function in the body can be harmed by Diabetes and though there should be more responsibility in preventing Type 2 Diabetes by individuals themselves, it is ill-informed to put blame once they have the condition and fill up hospital beds, the condition is a nasty one to live with, and habits are difficult to change."

Probably quite a good set of genes to have for insulin resistance and obesity before we were able to guarantee to feed most of the world and certainly to overfeed the developed world. When starvation hits the obese lose weight and survive. Problem is we are seeing an epidemic of obesity as there is no starvation now and with it Type 2 diabetes ad the majority of type 2 diabetics do not lose weight sufficient to lose their diabetes and of course not all would even if they got to a normal healthy weight but many would.
So it is not a blame but just like tobacco we must try and address the whole sale gluttony that gives us the increased weight most of us carry-including me.
It is somewhat ironic that compared with previous centuries the late 20th and 21st has seen one of the diseases of poverty move from undernutrition to overnutrition