ARTICLE: Beast back at Bury after Crusaders release

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Re: ARTICLE: Beast back at Bury after Crusaders release

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:14 pm

1Simpleton wrote:Correct Pearce was not all that good but it does not stop him being a cult hero.
It was pretty easy to get cult status when you are replacing a keeper as good as Joe Neenan.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1491 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:21 pm

One of my all time favourite keepers and I for one will never forget his penalty save to dump Chelsea out of the cup.A great night

boyyanno
Been Liked: 518 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:22 pm

Top Claret wrote:Could never understand the love in with Jensen from some of our supporters. The vast majority of his time he was poor, especially the 2009/10 season. He was to big and fat to get down in the corners and he couldn't read the game
We were pretty bad when we had him...people forget that. I'd say on the whole he was below average mainly because of his mistakes, the frequency of them was bad for a goalkeeper at that level. He was capable of winning a game though (I remember us beating wolves I think in a 1-0 win when O'conner scored a freekick and Jensen had a great game) and he was terrific in the promotion season. Consistency was the worst aspect of his game. For most of his career he was below average (the level we were at) and he managed to have a great season to help us get to the premier league (as did the rest of them).

Maybe he wasn't good enough sometimes but he also exceeded expectations when we needed it and contributed to the club's success. I can't believe a Burnley fan would say the goalkeeper that took them to the premier league was "to big and to fat". Pretty pathetic and obviously not true.
These 2 users liked this post: South West Claret. Braindead

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:28 pm

boyyanno wrote:We were pretty bad when we had him...people forget that. I'd say on the whole he was below average mainly because of his mistakes, the frequency of them was bad for a goalkeeper at that level. He was capable of winning a game though (I remember us beating wolves I think in a 1-0 win when O'conner scored a freekick and Jensen had a great game) and he was terrific in the promotion season. Consistency was the worst aspect of his game. For most of his career he was below average (the level we were at) and he managed to have a great season to help us get to the premier league (as did the rest of them).

Maybe he wasn't good enough sometimes but he also exceeded expectations when we needed it and contributed to the club's success. I can't believe a Burnley fan would say the goalkeeper that took them to the premier league was "to big and to fat". Pretty pathetic and obviously not true.
Seems to sum his time with us to a tee there boyyanno.

occ-claret
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by occ-claret » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:33 pm

Great servant. Yes maybe not the best keeper we have had but give the lad some credit. Gave his all in a claret (green) shirt

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:34 pm

Top Claret wrote:Could never understand the love in with Jensen from some of our supporters. The vast majority of his time he was poor, especially the 2009/10 season. He was to big and fat to get down in the corners and he couldn't read the game
Yeah he really struggled to get down :lol: :lol:
Attachments
ed6a7d686a1ed6d12bb80fe0055e98c8_400x400.jpeg
ed6a7d686a1ed6d12bb80fe0055e98c8_400x400.jpeg (54.24 KiB) Viewed 2489 times

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4076 times
Has Liked: 1854 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:41 pm

Butter fingered second rater who dropped more crosses than he caught.

Made a few good saves, but that was just the law of averages.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:07 pm

Beeeeeeeassttt

And to think some people prefered Lee "Flappy" Grant :lol:

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:17 pm

superdimitri wrote:Beeeeeeeassttt

And to think some people prefered Lee "Flappy" Grant :lol:
Well, one of the two has played Premier League football in the past few seasons and it wasn’t Jensen
This user liked this post: ElectroClaret

occ-claret
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by occ-claret » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:10 pm

Mark Kendall?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:19 am

deanothedino wrote:Well, one of the two has played Premier League football in the past few seasons and it wasn’t Jensen
One of them played 38 games in a full premier league season, and it wasnt Grant...
This user liked this post: superdimitri

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:01 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Yeah he really struggled to get down :lol: :lol:
Do we forget his first 8 years at the club? An absolute calamity, almost sure Coyle even started Diego Penny ahead of him for the 1st game of the season.

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:13 am

Played over 250 games for Burnley and had some terrific performances during that time, Reading, Chelsea, Arsenal, Bradford, man of the match against Man Utd.
Yes he also had some howlers, as did all of our players around that time - we had defenders who missed tackles, midfielders who couldn't pass and strikers that missed gilt edged chances during those seasons, but Jenson gets a hard time from a lot of people due to his exit from the club.
Not the best keeper ever seen at Burnley but an upgrade on most.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1132 times
Has Liked: 302 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:21 am

It’s all about opinions. In my opinion he was poor to average. Yes he had some blinders, but he didn’t have enough good games. His general play was poor, most of his kicks from his penalty area, either from hand or on the floor went straight to his opposite number, or into the Longside. As for throwing the ball out, did he ever? He always waved players away that were in open space and just booted it as hard as he could. For his size he never really dominated his area. But yes he could stop shots. From a career of 270 Burnley games over 10 years, approximately half of the games played. I think he probably had just 10% great games. I think it speaks volumes that every manager he played for tried to replace him. The fact he kept coming back was more to do with him being the only choice at the time. Also after handing in, was it 3 transfer requests? He was still offered a testimonial. But of course he stuffed that up by not arranging one. Then blamed everyone else.

lesxdp
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 1662 times

Post by lesxdp » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:52 am

:D
Claretitus wrote:Oh yes, almost forgot this one! My mum once got his autograph on a plain white paper bag, in Oddies bakery in Padiham at lunchtime after training finished. The Beast bought a sandwich and a pie! :lol: :lol:
He then possibly ran back to the Turf as I often saw him doing :D

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:56 am

The Wigan game summed him up, poor keeper with no bottle. Watch the promotion year dvd... He was poor.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:18 am

The promotion year? He was possibly the only reason we went up! The last 10 games he was on fire.

It was the first year in the Prem he was found out.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:14 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:One of them played 38 games in a full premier league season, and it wasnt Grant...
And got relegated. The other played 30 and didn't - I know which I'd prefer. :lol:

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:38 pm

boatshed bill wrote:This crap goalkeeper who, despite being useless, kept out Coyne, Grant and Kiraly.
Inconsistent yes. but not as bad as some would like to believe.
He kept out Coyne only because he was injured
he kept out Kiraly because he didn't agree with Coyle's training methods and was forced to be reserve team sub goalkeeper
He didn't keep out Grant though really. Once Grant came in, Jensen didn't play very often.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:40 pm

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:The promotion year? He was possibly the only reason we went up! The last 10 games he was on fire.
It was his best season, and he had some outstanding games, Reading at home being the one that stands out above all others along with the League Cup games v Chelsea & Arsenal. He certainly wasn't close to being the only reason we went up and he very definitely wasn't on fire in the last ten games, can't recall him having too much to do to be honest with Carlisle & Caldwell simply outstanding in front of him.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:06 pm

boyyanno wrote:We were pretty bad when we had him...people forget that. I'd say on the whole he was below average mainly because of his mistakes, the frequency of them was bad for a goalkeeper at that level. He was capable of winning a game though (I remember us beating wolves I think in a 1-0 win when O'conner scored a freekick and Jensen had a great game) and he was terrific in the promotion season. Consistency was the worst aspect of his game. For most of his career he was below average (the level we were at) and he managed to have a great season to help us get to the premier league (as did the rest of them).

You need to take a trip down to spec savers pal. The guy was over weight and should have been nowhere near a Premier league outfit.

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:07 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Yeah he really struggled to get down :lol: :lol:
I said the corners. You need to follow your mate down to spec savers

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Top Claret wrote:You need to take a trip down to spec savers pal. The guy was over weight and should have been nowhere near a Premier league outfit.
How many of our other players that year were premier league quality?

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:17 pm

He produced some performances not bettered by anyone since. He was error prone, which is why he played for Burnley, but some of the performances were simply world class
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:27 pm

gtclaret wrote:He produced some performances not bettered by anyone since. He was error prone, which is why he played for Burnley, but some of the performances were simply world class
I can think of many performances better than anything he produced, talking of goalkeepers, Heaton at old Trafford was better than anything jensen ever did

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:57 pm

boyyanno wrote:How many of our other players that year were premier league quality?
Under Coyle? quite a few proved capable at PL level.

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:44 pm

KRBFC wrote:Under Coyle? quite a few proved capable at PL level.
Name them. I'll wait.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:51 pm

boyyanno wrote:Name them. I'll wait.
Fletcher, Nugent, Grezza, Mears, Mccann, Eagles.

Thompson had his moments off the bench, Paterson was effective at the start.

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:57 pm

KRBFC wrote:Fletcher, Nugent, Grezza, Mears, Mccann, Eagles.

Thompson had his moments off the bench, Paterson was effective at the start.
Fletcher joined after we went up, Nugent as well (and he was on loan). Grezza was too old. Mears maybe a bottom end Prem right back at best, Mccann not for me and Eagles for a year or two after.

Some very dodgy suggestions there. You really think these players were premier league pedigree? My whole point was very few of our players were premier league calibre so it's not fair to slag of Jensen because he wasn't either.

Out of the ones you've listed only Fletcher was really "premier league quality" in my opinion. It's no wonder we got relegated really.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:37 pm

The whole defence was a let down in that year any goal keeper would have struggled in that team

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:42 pm

What was said in post 53.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:23 pm

boyyanno wrote:Fletcher joined after we went up, Nugent as well (and he was on loan). Grezza was too old. Mears maybe a bottom end Prem right back at best, Mccann not for me and Eagles for a year or two after.

Some very dodgy suggestions there. You really think these players were premier league pedigree? My whole point was very few of our players were premier league calibre so it's not fair to slag of Jensen because he wasn't either.

Out of the ones you've listed only Fletcher was really "premier league quality" in my opinion. It's no wonder we got relegated really.
What does it matter when Fletcher joined? I said ''Under Coyle? quite a few proved capable at PL level.'' So of course I was naming players who played in the PL season under Coyle.

When Coyle left we were outside of the bottom 3, we obviously had quite a few who were capable at PL level under Coyle not so much under Laws.

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:47 pm

boyyanno wrote:How many of our other players that year were premier league quality?
Wtf has that got to with anything, this is about Jensen

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:51 pm

gtclaret wrote:The whole defence was a let down in that year any goal keeper would have struggled in that team
Agree,they were all poor. Liverpool put 4 past us at Anfield and each goal was knocked into the low corners, because they knew Jensen wasn't fit enough to cover them.
He was a beast and not an athlete

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3169 times
Has Liked: 6775 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:02 pm

ClaretTony wrote:He kept out Coyne only because he was injured
he kept out Kiraly because he didn't agree with Coyle's training methods and was forced to be reserve team sub goalkeeper
He didn't keep out Grant though really. Once Grant came in, Jensen didn't play very often.
So he kept Kiraly out then?

Personally I never rated Kiraly, I never rated Grant, I never particularly rated Jensen. Coyne was (IMO) the best of the 4.
The thing is that the club got better service from Jensen, and enjoyed promotion with him in goal.
I don't get the so called "love in" any more or less than the constant vitriol he receives.

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:15 pm

Top Claret wrote:Wtf has that got to with anything, this is about Jensen
You said Jensen should have been no-where near the premier league. I was pointing out you could say the same for a lot of them.

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:17 pm

KRBFC wrote:What does it matter when Fletcher joined? I said ''Under Coyle? quite a few proved capable at PL level.'' So of course I was naming players who played in the PL season under Coyle.

When Coyle left we were outside of the bottom 3, we obviously had quite a few who were capable at PL level under Coyle not so much under Laws.
The original point the one I initially replied to (not yours) was about the fact Jensen should have been no-where near the premier league. I didn't disagree but I think it's true for most of the team that took us up. Despite what you say the careers of those you've named show they found their level outside of the premier league. Fletcher aside.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:25 pm

boyyanno wrote:The original point the one I initially replied to (not yours) was about the fact Jensen should have been no-where near the premier league. I didn't disagree but I think it's true for most of the team that took us up. Despite what you say the careers of those you've named show they found their level outside of the premier league. Fletcher aside.
Yeah my point was quite a few of that team under Coyle showed themselves capable that season in the PL, I didn't say they were signed as PL regulars or that they'd even make any other PL side. I think we missed McCann when he went off injured, started very well. Blake and Eagles had the ability in the PL, although a tad inconsistent and I don't think it helped we struggled badly away from home. Mears was very good I thought, Grezza didn't look out of place and Nugent and Fletcher did well upfront. We certainly weren't as strong as we are now but we were outside of the relegation zone when Coyle left so it's unfair to say non of the players were good enough.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:39 pm

deanothedino wrote:And got relegated. The other played 30 and didn't - I know which I'd prefer. :lol:
Mustve dreamt stoke got relegated when he wasnt even good enough to be the number one in a relegated side....

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:48 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Mustve dreamt stoke got relegated when he wasnt even good enough to be the number one in a relegated side....
But they didn't get relegated the season he did get in the side... Weak argument there. You could amputate one of his hands and he'd still be better than Jensen.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:16 pm

If you judge Jensen on the final 3 months of the promotion season only, you probably think he's a fantastic goalkeeper. Sadly for him, nobody forgets how bad he was for 8 consecutive seasons before that.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:12 pm

deanothedino wrote:But they didn't get relegated the season he did get in the side... Weak argument there. You could amputate one of his hands and he'd still be better than Jensen.
Ok

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:50 pm

Can’t understand the disrespecting of Beast on here, I can remember Joe Neenan whose kicks couldn’t reach the half way line.

He is not a patch on both Heaton and Pope who played a large part in keeping us up and getting us to the position where we are now.

Of the keepers when we played in the lower leagues swing low sweet Marriott stood out a mile but in my opinion Beast was as good as the rest.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 782 times
Has Liked: 1437 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:27 pm

I was delighted to buy one of his old kits. Many a good game at such an important period for us.

Thanks for the memories Brian and good luck in your new role.