What does being a Burnley fan really mean?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

What does being a Burnley fan really mean?

Post by claret59 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Now that we have just concluded what is probably our most successful season since 1959-60 ( allowing for the changes brought about by the introduction of the PL,) my thoughts are why attachment to a particular Club can often dominate one's life so disproportionately? For example I have been a fan, boy and man, and now pensioner, since those heady days of Jimmy McIlroy, Ray Pointer, John Connelly and all those players who were household names. A lifelong fan too even in those desperate days of leagues 3 and 4. But why? Not one person connected with the club during all those years even knows of my existence. The only Burnley player I have even spoken to that I can recall over those 60 years is Tom Heaton
(even managing to shake his hand at the conclusion of our recent promotion as runners up to the PL.) I have no particular affinity with the town, apart from the Club, and live over a hundred miles away although I do have some long deceased relatives who did have some connections with the town.
So why such attraction? Is it unhealthy when one considers the vagaries of human existence?
These 4 users liked this post: tim_noone Marty Dobson levraiclaret turfytopper

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: What does being a Burnley fan really mean?

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:35 pm

Its definitely not unhealthy. Quite the opposite I think. Although at times it might not seem that way.

It can be quite deep when you analyse it.

Its tribalism. And being part of something. Knowing that even just a little bit your support plays a part in the success of something. The emotional highs and lows and sense of belonging to something.

Social aspect is great. And nothing better than wearing your colours when the team is flying. But also get a similar sense of pride when we arent.

Its probably more logical to explain for us that are from the town. Or that live or lived close by.

I think its the pace and excitement of football and history that sets it apart from any other sport globally.
This user liked this post: burnmark

Hbclaret007
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Hbclaret007 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Being a Burnley fan is a very important part of my life. The key for me is the integrity of a club which has been successful by simply winning football matches. We have one of the smallest fan bases in the top two leagues. Burnley is a poor working class town. We have never had any significant financial investment beyond local businessmen. We have never been bankrupt, robbing the local community and trades people. We have lived within our means (very limited at times). Now we are competing in the richest league in the world and have managed to finish 7th, with a squad costing considerably less than most teams in this league. We play with a fantastic work ethic and seldom resort to the blatant cheating seen by modern footballers. We are a community club which gives back a great contribution the people of Burnley and surrounding areas.
This is a really fantastic story and I never shy of telling it. Long may it continue. UTC
These 5 users liked this post: levraiclaret DCWat Stalbansclaret cricketfieldclarets Funkydrummer

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:18 pm

Being a Burnley fans for me means following in family tradition and values, as a family generally native to Burnley for many generations. It’s one of the only times I see a lot of my relatives, at games.

It means travelling up and down the country with pride in the place you come from and it’s arguably most famous exploit.

It means sticking with your town club, no matter what division, win , lose or draw and enduring the irritating buzzing of the big club ‘supporters’ when things are at a low point. It’s less about winning games and more about togetherness and having a laugh.

It means being grateful for every shred of success the club has, because we all know it could be over in an instant.

It means loving being the underdog and consistently proving people wrong, decade after decade, we’ve fallen as low as it’s possible to go and gone back to the top.

It means being one of the last remaining traditional football clubs; it’s the hub of the town and the mood in Burnley can very much depend on how the football team is doing.

Nothing in the world compares to Burnley Football Club. One of the best, most addictive and most expensive hobbies I could’ve opted for, but I wouldn’t change it for anything.
These 9 users liked this post: Hbclaret007 CnBtruntru Pstotto k90bfc Marty Dobson levraiclaret Stalbansclaret cricketfieldclarets Funkydrummer

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:37 pm

I think there's an epistemological error in the question for presuming it 'really means' or that there was a dialectic involved where there was an antithetical opposite of 'meaninglessness' otherwise.

One cannot measure something from every angle, the first lesson of the woodwork class, is to plane a face side and a square edge from which to set out with a purpose and a proposition, rather like the horizontal and vertical axes of a graph.
This user liked this post: Cubanclaret

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:39 pm

Amongst other things it means being labelled as "ugly" apparently
These 4 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 IanMcL FactualFrank Shappie

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:41 pm

That didn't do Shrek any harm, nor Mercedes Benz and their current design remit.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:44 pm

You could pay as much for a half time Twix, as you could for a house in the town.

Pretty unique if you ask me.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:58 pm

Just like supporting Barnsley, Blackburn, Huddersfield or Rotherham... except you live closer to Burnley.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:23 pm

it means insanity, with occasional and very fleeting moments of normality.well, that's what it means for me.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11062 times
Has Liked: 5668 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:26 pm

Same as supporting any smaller club, it's about being part of the community. It's like coming on this board, half the time we fall out but most of the time it's because we all want the best for the club but have different ideas on how to go about it.

I would hate to be a Man Utd fan, literally just a number

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:46 pm

Surely the question is rhetorical in as much as it doesn't mean anything but conversely also means everything.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:02 pm

Everything.....

Noble Peter
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Noble Peter » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:12 pm

My mother taught me ABC , my dad taught me BFC
52 years and counting.
These 2 users liked this post: Spike Silverfox58

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:15 pm

Being true to a common cause is an essential human experience. We all want to be "included". Following a football club is very healthy both for the mind and the soul. Just don't get carried away (like Hannover fans).
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:16 pm

And that's great handle, Noble Peter. He was truly a great man.

HB Claret
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:23 pm

Born in Burnley 1962 - no other reason needed even though we emigrated to Kent in 1968. It can only be Burnley and it can only be Lancashire for cricket !
These 2 users liked this post: levraiclaret Stalbansclaret

cutsy123
Has Liked: 351 times

Post by cutsy123 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:25 pm

Gettin out of house for a few hours
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone cricketfieldclarets

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks for the responses , especially those that that give me food for thought and strengthen my resolve. On reflection it would seem the topic would have been easier to understand for a couple of contributors if I had omitted the 'really' and the question mark from the subject heading.

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by levraiclaret » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Hbclaret007 wrote:Being a Burnley fan is a very important part of my life. The key for me is the integrity of a club which has been successful by simply winning football matches. We have one of the smallest fan bases in the top two leagues. Burnley is a poor working class town. We have never had any significant financial investment beyond local businessmen. We have never been bankrupt, robbing the local community and trades people. We have lived within our means (very limited at times). Now we are competing in the richest league in the world and have managed to finish 7th, with a squad costing considerably less than most teams in this league. We play with a fantastic work ethic and seldom resort to the blatant cheating seen by modern footballers. We are a community club which gives back a great contribution the people of Burnley and surrounding areas.
This is a really fantastic story and I never shy of telling it. Long may it continue. UTC
"seldom"? name one example of blatant cheating since SD arrived?
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:00 pm

It means being too p1ssed to remember the Orient game properly, and then rubbing your eyes in disbelief when your 3-0 up away at the champions Chelsea.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:11 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:It means being too p1ssed to remember the Orient game properly, and then rubbing your eyes in disbelief when your 3-0 up away at the champions Chelsea.
definately something about that scoreline on the day, whatever else is happening in our lives its stuff like this that lifts the spirits like little else can.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2943 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:13 pm

A triumph of optimism over experience coupled with a morbid fear of Sean Dyche leaving.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3432 times

Post by turfytopper » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:24 pm

I am a 59 year old who grew up in Nelson supporting the Clarets. I left the area in 1981 and now live in Sussex. BFC has been the one constant in my life..... I couldn't just swap my footy team.

Travelling to home games as often as I do, it has kept me in touch with my family, many of my old friends and made I've made plenty of new ones. To the southerners I will always be that northern guy who supports the Clarets through the bad times - and the good.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Turfy topper I would completely echo that having moved down here in the early 80s.What I always enjoy is how, if I bump into another Claret down here, we just start talking like we have known each other for years ! I now spend part of my time in Barrowford and it's great to be back in my "home" area more and see kids wearing Burnley shirts playing football in the park.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:47 pm

It's about being proud of where you were born and brought up. And being proud of supporting a club who have never had it easy, but done things the "right way". No sugar daddy, no billions of pounds being thrown into the bank. But instead being a small town with little money that has a club who have built themselves up by reinvesting with what they earn - not investing in what they've been given.

For those who don't live in Burnley, I'm sure will acknowledge how much other people know of the club and the town. I'm always immensely proud of being a Burnley fan in West Yorkshire - as we're better than any club in this area. And people will randomly start a conversation with me when I have a Burnley top on, as they remember years before I was born.

What a club.

Hbclaret007
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Hbclaret007 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:44 am

levraiclaret wrote:"seldom"? name one example of blatant cheating since SD arrived?
ok - very seldom - Mr Barton - Lincoln at home in the FA Cup

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 837 times

Post by starting_11 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:45 am

Masochism.

And YOU WANT IT BAD!

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:54 pm

Have an umbilical chord attached re. Burnley and have so since
my dad first took me to see the clarets when I was about 9 years old
or so. Either 1959 or 1960.

I moved away from the area about 8 years later but have supported them ever since
wherever I've been even during the dark days in the 80's when we nearly went out of the league.
Don't get to see them too much nowadays but try and get to a few away games within
traveling distance of where I live. The last time was WBA away at the end of March.

Immensely proud of where we are now but still get very nervous on match days
when checking out the latest scores.
There's an emotional attachment which I've never been able to shake off
or wished to as, to some degree, the club is the only link I've now got with the area.
My folks have passed away and I don't know anyone up there anymore.
Most of the people I knew at the time also moved away.

But it's always great to chat to Burnley fans.
They're a good bunch especially the away supporters.

Spike
Been Liked: 601 times
Has Liked: 1241 times

Post by Spike » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:00 pm

As I tell all our inferior neighbours I am a Burnley fan because “I am lucky”. . When acquaintances from other teams come to watch us they can’t believe how friendly we all are
Burnley is unique that is why a lot of people don’t like us- jealousy can ruin your lives
These 2 users liked this post: BleedingClaret ontario claret

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:14 pm

I totally agree with Spike. When I first started following BFC over 40 years ago, it was simply because I needed a "real" football club to follow. I had totally no idea what I was getting into. An actual visit to Burnley changed all of that. Not only did I fall in love with the club, but, more importantly, the people. Maybe it's because my father's family came from a place very close to Burnley, but I truly feel as one with "you lot". I have more fun posting things on this site than anything else in my life right now. Maybe that's sad, but It's the truth. I hope (I REALLY HOPE) to get over this year and meet some of you face to face. Maybe have an adult beverage or two (but they shut down my favourite brewery, Thwaites, apparently. Oh well, I'll just have to do with a Stone's Best Bitter.) UTC!!!

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Oops. Just saw the video about the damage done by "travellers". Thought that because they were there so long that the brewery had been abandoned. Not so. Whew. A total relief.

Spike
Been Liked: 601 times
Has Liked: 1241 times

Post by Spike » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:01 pm

ontario claret wrote:Oops. Just saw the video about the damage done by "travellers". Thought that because they were there so long that the brewery had been abandoned. Not so. Whew. A total relief.
Wainwright once brewed by Thwaites was sold. Now it’s brewed by Banks and the labels don’t mention Banks or Thwaites! A crying shame Ontario! Stones isn’t available anymore

But you’ve a wonderful array of Real Ale in around Burnley.Moorhouse, Bowland, Reedley Hallows Brewery etc