Istanbul recommendations (apart from the match)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Istanbul recommendations (apart from the match)

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:18 pm

First time visitor to Istanbul. Will likely only have one full day in the city (Friday if that matters). Obviously Thursday with the match but probably be too busy running round collecting tickets :roll:

So looking for tips on what we should definitely see or do in such limited time. Will be four of us. Two adults and two boys. Football mad the boys too. So if stadium tours etc are a must we can do that.

Presuming the baths may not be suitable for kids? Although they are in Budapest...

We will have Thursday there too but may be too busy with bus in, ticket collection, hotel check in and the match. And maybe Saturday there and get the late bus back. But expecting one full day.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: Istanbul recommendations (apart from the match)

Post by Spijed » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:23 pm

The Basilica Cistern is worth a visit, as is the Topkapi palace & Hagia Sophia & Blue Mosque.

The are the four main attractions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_Cistern" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://topkapisarayi.gov.tr/en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:23 pm

Thanks Spijed. Just seen, the main hammam IS suitable for kids. So looks like that may be an option.

claret wizard
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Blue Mosque and the Bazzar as a must. Besiktas is right in the City centre if you’re looking for a ground to visit. Fenerbache is a way out on the Asian side and was mad on a matchday when I went for a Champs League game.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

thedmcistanbul
Been Liked: 11 times

Post by thedmcistanbul » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:43 pm

hamam in these summer days : )) but it worths seeing at least, i will recommend to do it in the morning.
Besiktas stadium is exciting and they a museum tour inside the stadium.
I will recommend to pop in Besiktas on 9 thursday if you want to see a real turkish football factory atmosphere, not dangerous you dont need to worry about I am serious. I followed Besiktas home and away for more than 10 years...
Alternative for the kids, there is an aquarium, they will love it, but it is located near the airport not in city centre.
Ice cream men will do funny jokes to the kids, you can see them around the old town and Taksim area.
If you are into proper food, try ''Kasap Osman'' real turkish doner kebap it is close to the orient express train station (location is Sirkeci)