ARTICLE: Two days brings two wins for Burnley

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

ARTICLE: Two days brings two wins for Burnley

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:08 am

Yesterday was Good Friday in 1960, today was Easter Saturday and another win for us which makes the league table look very interesting

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/two-days-b ... or-burnley

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Re: ARTICLE: Two days brings two wins for Burnley

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Another great article, CT. Missed commenting on yesterday's but I do remember attending this game with my dad. There are some days when results elsewhere 'kick you in the teeth' but this one wasn't one of them and an added bonus of another defeat for 'that other lot'. I was at an age where I was very happy to see us win, score some goals and be dazzled by the mercurial Jimmy Mc.
Not too sure I was aware of the significance of results that day as I would be when older but I would bet anything that my dad and two older brothers had an extra skip in their stride that evening. Come on Burnley, it's within reach.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:52 pm

The supporters leaving the ground that day and then hearing the Spurs & Wolves results must have been thinking we were almost there.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:04 pm

You are right ct, I remember getting home that evening after the match and my mum and dad were actually excited about our chances of winning the first division for the first time in a generation. All my pals on the street afterwards had been on the match and the only question was "can we win it?" Happy days indeed.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:23 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:04 pm
You are right ct, I remember getting home that evening after the match and my mum and dad were actually excited about our chances of winning the first division for the first time in a generation. All my pals on the street afterwards had been on the match and the only question was "can we win it?" Happy days indeed.
If they could find one they would probably be out on the street kicking a football too. That's what happened round our way.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:36 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:23 pm
If they could find one they would probably be out on the street kicking a football too. That's what happened round our way.
Street football was the best, especially if you could get a shot to rear up a bit off the kerb edge.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:13 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:36 pm
Street football was the best, especially if you could get a shot to rear up a bit off the kerb edge.
Absolutely, CT. A huge part of childhood/adolescence for me. I know it's clichéd but coats and jumpers for goalposts, games with goals that ran well into double figures, kids just joining a game and playing on until it was dark and then getting a 'clip' for coming home late. Didn't stop us doing it again next day though.
If you had a football then chances were you were a captain, got first pick and took penalties. Could start a whole new thread on this, CT.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Burypaddy
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Burypaddy » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:50 pm

Always mimick my two, yes use to get a football for christmas and if it popped on boxing day i had to wait for next christmas day before i got a replacement!!!
Yes right dad, spoilt brats!!!

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:19 pm

Burypaddy wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:50 pm
Always mimick my two, yes use to get a football for christmas and if it popped on boxing day i had to wait for next christmas day before i got a replacement!!!
Yes right dad, spoilt brats!!!
Did you attend high school in Bury in the 70's?

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:59 am

I remember this game very well because it caused a bit of an argument at home. Having been to the match on Good Friday, my mother's comment was along the lines of " You're not going again are you".( she had no liking for football! ) My two sisters got in on the act by complaining that I was getting more money spent on me than themselves. In the end my dad had to give them some extra pocket money to shut them up. We almost missed the kick off! After the game, my dad was quite convinced that the title would be won by the Clarets.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:55 am

Suratclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:59 am
I remember this game very well because it caused a bit of an argument at home. Having been to the match on Good Friday, my mother's comment was along the lines of " You're not going again are you".( she had no liking for football! ) My two sisters got in on the act by complaining that I was getting more money spent on me than themselves. In the end my dad had to give them some extra pocket money to shut them up. We almost missed the kick off! After the game, my dad was quite convinced that the title would be won by the Clarets.
Sounds like my mum