Player redundancies

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
inbetweendays
Has Liked: 5 times

Player redundancies

Post by inbetweendays » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:30 pm

St Patrick’s athletic fc from the league of Ireland have today made all their players and staff redundant due to the ongoing covid-19 virus.
My guess there’ll be more to follow & not only in Ireland 😥

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3177 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: Player redundancies

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:40 pm

inbetweendays wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:30 pm
St Patrick’s athletic fc from the league of Ireland have today made all their players and staff redundant due to the ongoing covid-19 virus.
My guess there’ll be more to follow & not only in Ireland 😥
last night Rhyll announced they would be winding their club up - there will be many more.

The redundancies probably mean that the club can come out of the other side having been mothballed, they also suggest that Ireland does not have a furlough scheme like ours - Accrington Stanley mothballed their club as soon as they verified the furlough scheme could included all their staff, There are just 4 people working at the club at the moment, two of which are ground staff.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:49 am

Probably a pedantic point but it is not permitted to work while on furlough.

Presumably the players will still be training I some form, probably following a plan set by the clubs. Does that mean they are technically working?

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3177 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:12 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:49 am

Presumably the players will still be training I some form, probably following a plan set by the clubs. Does that mean they are technically working?
Accy say that they have not given them such a plan, also said that players would naturally want to keep themselves fit, they are aware of the differences

woody
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by woody » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:26 am

It’s a bit of an anomaly actually. In the wording of the furlough scheme it says that the employee may be asked to undertake training at home.

fanzone
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:17 am

It's the uncertainty that's going to cost the club's any sort of future. If concrete decisions were made plans could be put in place.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:30 am

fanzone wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:17 am
It's the uncertainty that's going to cost the club's any sort of future. If concrete decisions were made plans could be put in place.
At the moment the concrete we have on this bug will not set
If Prof Whitty is correct we can say goodbye to any live soccer this year.
No doubt playing behind closed doors would be possible if the players test negative for the virus before kick off and if it is acceptable to have a 25% false negative result from a test. Playing a high intensity sport whilst cooking this virus is apparently not good for outcomes and a genuinely negative test means you are not shedding the virus at the time of the test

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:00 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:49 am

I think the actual rules are something along the lines of if you're furloughed you can't do anything that generates income. My firm furloughed some people who had recently been recruited and they're still training whilst furloughed (although it's had to switch from training on the job to training on previously completed jobs so there's no element of chargeable work).

I guess training would be OK but not playing matches, promotoing sponsors, etc.