ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Re: ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:35 pm

KateR wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:23 pm
while you're leaving it there I will try to add some perspective to what I am trying to say and also to point what DJ81 is saying and I will try two ways for you to think about and to engage from an informed position rather than an entrenched one you and others seem to be in.

I do business, I have worked for fortune 500 companies, I had a 10% ownership of a small company into which I put my own hard earned cash because the cash was doing nothing.

Today, we personally own our home out right, no mortgage, we manage to save every month, there are investments I can't touch and there is cash in the bank, the cash makes little to no interest and when measured against inflation it is losing money.

I, just me have found a business proposition, I want to buy it because I think I can make it better and earn more money from it that what the present owners are doing. Therefore, we have applied for a loan and we have been accepted for a loan amount that is worth/valued at 80% of our home, I am seriously considering this and going through details with the lender, I will also have to add to that 90% of the free cash we have in the bank.

At the end of the day this means we take on some serious risk, it's my idea and of course hubby is on the deed as joint owner with me therefore he needs to sign off on it for it to happen, he would never do this himself or even bring it up as he is naturally more cautious than I am, so I have had to sell the idea to him. Bottom line is, we will go into substantial debt, take over a business neither of us has done before, added risk.

I keep asking myself is it worth it to make this move and the answer keeps coming back yes it is in order to try and ensure a higher base for when I retire plus I'll help with the business, for a long time we worked to the aim of paying off the mortgage and not having to worry about that as a monthly outgoing.

This in itself is not an exact analogy to ALK & BFC but it is in terms of money in the bank, well I think so.

In regard to much of the chatter above, think about what might happen if:
We buy a US young player, a S Korean young player or a few other countries, it has been proven that even a single player can attract lot's of fans and purchases from places we have little to no basis in.

Marketing can make a huge difference and while the previous owners did well and there was cash little to no money was spent on bringing new fans or corporate funding to BFC, this is a strong point for the new owners That is why as DJ81 says you need to look at the big picture and not be myopic in looking at what BFC has traditionally been for the last decade, let's face they were getting a lot of abuse for having no ambition and for not spending.

I am not trying to lecture but trying to engage, I understand what you see but in order to engage you have to see the other persons point of view and not dismiss them as ludacris just because they don't align with yours. In no way shape or form am I saying what I think they want to do will work but since it has happened we should give them sometime to prove it out, it will be a journey and not a step change.
Kate you have obviously been successful in your field however I think you are comparing apples to pears.

Football finance experts are very much of the opinion that it is almost impossible to come into a football club with no real financial backing and it make it successful. The owners look like they can’t even financially support the manager in improving the squad let alone improve the other areas of the club.

My main concern is that they can not invest in the squad in the short term which will inevitably lead to one thing.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3605 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:35 pm

KateR wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:23 pm
while you're leaving it there I will try to add some perspective to what I am trying to say and also to point what DJ81 is saying and I will try two ways for you to think about and to engage from an informed position rather than an entrenched one you and others seem to be in.

I do business, I have worked for fortune 500 companies, I had a 10% ownership of a small company into which I put my own hard earned cash because the cash was doing nothing.

Today, we personally own our home out right, no mortgage, we manage to save every month, there are investments I can't touch and there is cash in the bank, the cash makes little to no interest and when measured against inflation it is losing money.

I, just me have found a business proposition, I want to buy it because I think I can make it better and earn more money from it that what the present owners are doing. Therefore, we have applied for a loan and we have been accepted for a loan amount that is worth/valued at 80% of our home, I am seriously considering this and going through details with the lender, I will also have to add to that 90% of the free cash we have in the bank.

At the end of the day this means we take on some serious risk, it's my idea and of course hubby is on the deed as joint owner with me therefore he needs to sign off on it for it to happen, he would never do this himself or even bring it up as he is naturally more cautious than I am, so I have had to sell the idea to him. Bottom line is, we will go into substantial debt, take over a business neither of us has done before, added risk.

I keep asking myself is it worth it to make this move and the answer keeps coming back yes it is in order to try and ensure a higher base for when I retire plus I'll help with the business, for a long time we worked to the aim of paying off the mortgage and not having to worry about that as a monthly outgoing.

This in itself is not an exact analogy to ALK & BFC but it is in terms of money in the bank, well I think so.

In regard to much of the chatter above, think about what might happen if:
We buy a US young player, a S Korean young player or a few other countries, it has been proven that even a single player can attract lot's of fans and purchases from places we have little to no basis in.

Marketing can make a huge difference and while the previous owners did well and there was cash little to no money was spent on bringing new fans or corporate funding to BFC, this is a strong point for the new owners That is why as DJ81 says you need to look at the big picture and not be myopic in looking at what BFC has traditionally been for the last decade, let's face they were getting a lot of abuse for having no ambition and for not spending.

I am not trying to lecture but trying to engage, I understand what you see but in order to engage you have to see the other persons point of view and not dismiss them as ludacris just because they don't align with yours. In no way shape or form am I saying what I think they want to do will work but since it has happened we should give them sometime to prove it out, it will be a journey and not a step change.
Ahead of the anticipated increases in income, through having a wider fan base and increased partnerships, how do you think we will fund significant squad investment (an issue that’s been on the horizon and getting nearer, window after window).

Are you expecting there to be more investment being brought into the club?

The foreign signing example is a good one - an issue that we may have though, if we find the next Son Heung-min, is what happens when these players move on? Are you seeing these as a win win, I.E sign, hopefully grow fan base, sell for profit? That in itself is a model that I want us to follow, whether the player is from South Korea or Southampton.

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:38 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:34 pm
They then spent virtually a generation outside of the top flight after that absolutely hysterical financial collapse though and still they got more airtime and were talked about more than us when we were in the PL.
That's because of decades of narrative being pushed about them being some sort of giant of English football...

You can't see it because you don't want to, guessing it's outside of your comfort zone.
Well tell me please where are we going to get millions of pounds of extra revenue from? The points you mentioned earlier on would increase revenue granted but nowhere near the level needed to achieve what you're suggesting.

This idea you have about you just have to believe that it can happen is far from reassuring to many clarets

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:43 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:35 pm
Kate you have obviously been successful in your field however I think you are comparing apples to pears.

Football finance experts are very much of the opinion that it is almost impossible to come into a football club with no real financial backing and it make it successful. The owners look like they can’t even financially support the manager in improving the squad let alone improve the other areas of the club.

My main concern is that they can not invest in the squad in the short term which will inevitably lead to one thing.
These are literally my thoughts. All these financial experts clearly know what they are talking about. It's okay looking towards the future and a 5 year plan but if results on the pitch are bad then we will take a financial battering. The squad needs massive surgery in the summer as mentioned and im worried as to where this money needed is going to come from

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:43 pm

DCWat wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:35 pm
Ahead of the anticipated increases in income, through having a wider fan base and increased partnerships, how do you think we will fund significant squad investment (an issue that’s been on the horizon and getting nearer, window after window).

Are you expecting there to be more investment being brought into the club?

The foreign signing example is a good one - an issue that we may have though, if we find the next Son Heung-min, is what happens when these players move on? Are you seeing these as a win win, I.E sign, hopefully grow fan base, sell for profit? That in itself is a model that I want us to follow, whether the player is from South Korea or Southampton.
The only way I can see the above being possible is if we receive further investment or further loans are taken out to sign players.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3436 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:50 pm

DomBFC1882 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:38 pm
Well tell me please where are we going to get millions of pounds of extra revenue from? The points you mentioned earlier on would increase revenue granted but nowhere near the level needed to achieve what you're suggesting.

This idea you have about you just have to believe that it can happen is far from reassuring to many clarets
My points will work though, with the right people in charge.
Small steps, that eventually grow into bigger ones.
We didn't have those people, I assume we do now looking at the new owners and people connected to them.

It would appear you're looking for a complete breakdown and financial plan for the future of Burnley football club.
That simply isn't going to happen, I can only use my own experiences of growing several different businesses to increase revenue and from conversations with the world wide marketing director I know for a well known international company.

Much to your disappointment, or joy maybe it's hard to tell, it won't be instantaneous results, partly due to current contracts in use with our present sponsors etc.

The new chairman has stated its a 5yr plan.
That's quite sensible, but people on here have decided he's not to be trusted, snake oil salesman etc.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:51 pm

Have to say I'm glad I don't know you lot personally, you're such a miserable negative lot :lol:
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:54 pm

DomBFC1882 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:43 pm
These are literally my thoughts. All these financial experts clearly know what they are talking about. It's okay looking towards the future and a 5 year plan but if results on the pitch are bad then we will take a financial battering. The squad needs massive surgery in the summer as mentioned and im worried as to where this money needed is going to come from
What massive surgery?

A winger and a CB (if Tarks goes could be 2),maybe another striker.
Hardly massive.

If Tarks buggers off and we get a reasonable fee then we have to be shrewd with our spending, that's all.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:57 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:50 pm
We didn't have those people, I assume we do now looking at the new owners and people connected to them.

It would appear you're looking for a complete breakdown and financial plan for the future of Burnley football club.
That simply isn't going to happen, I can only use my own experiences of growing several different businesses to increase revenue and from conversations with the world wide marketing director I know for a well known international company.

Much to your disappointment, or joy maybe it's hard to tell, it won't be instantaneous results, partly due to current contracts in use with our present sponsors etc.

That's quite sensible, but people on here have decided he's not to be trusted, snake oil salesman etc.
DJ you keep mentioning how it will work and we will increase revenue exponentially.

Burnley’s commercial revenue is relatively comparable to the smaller teams in the league. Last season our commercial turnover was £9m. Leicester £14m. Norwich £10m. Palace £9m. Brighton £9m.

The commercial figures only start to increase when you get to the truly large football clubs like city, Chelsea, Everton, Newcastle.
They are clubs which are on just another level to us.

I understand we can improve our marketing etc... but unless we start gaining literally hundreds of thousands of paying fans I can’t see how revenue is going to raise to the levels where we will start signing players of the calibre you mention.

I hope you are right but unless Pace releases information on how he proposes to grow the club, I just can’t see how it is possible without investment.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:59 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:54 pm
What massive surgery?

Hardly massive.

If Tarks buggers off and we get a reasonable fee then we have to be shrewd with our spending, that's all.
We will have 17 senior squad players in the summer. That is if Tarks stays.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:59 pm

for DCW & NC93
that is the predicament and the real risk in the short term, yet it's not as though we have been prolific bringing people in during the last three years, so that side wont change, would it if the previous ownership had stayed, I don't think so. As many have discussed SD is the center of this and needs to keep BFC in the PL this season, which I think he will do, plus he will need to do it again the following season, hence the big risk, as people have said he could leave for example. Doing planning means you do what if scenarios and risk assessments, I think for ALK that would be the number one risk they modelled, I think will have been absolutely the most crucial part of the discussions they had with him.

This is only from my perspective but if they are going where I think they are, then if I was SD I would be very excited about the change and embrace it wholeheartedly, but I'm not him and no one knows where an offer out of left field might come from. I don't think there will be any offers from a side that has a realistic good chance of winning a trophy in England, maybe Celtic would be tempting if offered, WBA not so, I don't think CP will either but of course it's always mentioned.

Regarding apples and pears of course you are right, yet it is the point regarding taking a risk and about bank balances, there is a good reason a lot of clubs operate under some form of debit, it is not the hell some seem to think and is a business ploy used all the time.

I typically sit in the middle of deals and act as an integrator, I deal with investment companies all the time, I'm doing one now where there are several investment companies trying to get involved in a project, first tranches are $15 Million each, if I could raise it I would in a heartbeat because I know the business plan but I don't I have been doing this deal since last March, due diligence takes time, they will have no guarantee, these are not loans, I expect to close them this month and provide the funds to kick the project off. There will be a second tranche in 2022 for a larger amount in order to move the project forward, earliest product sales can happen is April 2023, sales agreements have been signed with fortune 500 hundred companies who are household names, these agreements have liquidated dames payable everyday if we don't have the product to sell!

Selling the business plan is like selling a concept or a dream, if people can't see it then they won't buy/invest, ALK have sold the dream, I am fully behind them and every BFC fan should be to, pushing/willing them to win not complaining about what they don't know. I can't guarantee it will work but I most certainly hope so.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:00 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:50 pm

I fully respect your professional experience and without doubt you know more than me about growing businesses.

However you're putting a hell of a lot of faith in these people who you don't even know. It was APs own words that said we would be active in January and that Dyche would be backed. Clearly that hasn't happened. If that wasn't said then im sure many fans including myself wouldn't be as outraged.

I don't see why you feel the need to have a dig at me for having genuine concerns and asking proper questions but that's your own perogative I suppose.

I can understand the vision but we appear to be forgetting about the here and now. If we get relegated we could and likely will lose Tarkowski, McNeil, Pope, Dyche and potentially Charlie Taylor. We are Burnley, we're always going to be a relegation favourite and sooner or later it will happen

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:02 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
What massive surgery?

Hardly massive.

And a right back as we were clearly in for Kenny. That's 4 first team starters. That's going to cost a minimum 30mill

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:02 pm

Leicester commercial income - https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/ ... 41536?s=19

2 mins to find the correct figure, please try harder to rain on my parade because that was a really poor effort...

I'll not bother with the other clubs, I think I've made my point.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:03 pm

DomBFC1882 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:02 pm
And a right back as we were clearly in for Kenny. That's 4 first team starters. That's going to cost a minimum 30mill
So if we sell Tarks that covers a large chunk of that.

Panic over.

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:03 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:51 pm
Have to say I'm glad I don't know you lot personally, you're such a miserable negative lot :lol:
Far from it actually. I just don't do blind optimism. Big difference

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:04 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
What massive surgery?

Hardly massive.

We need to do that just to stand still. In the meantime the rest of our ageing squad are a year older and we'd basically be relying on finishing above the 3 promoted teams in order to stay up.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:04 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:02 pm
Leicester commercial income - https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/ ... 41536?s=19

2 mins to find the correct figure, please try harder to rain on my parade because that was a really poor effort...

I'll not bother with the other clubs, I think I've made my point.
Well clearly I have looked at the season before where it said 14m.

You are very defensive I have already said I am not having ago I just don’t understand how it works.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:04 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
What massive surgery?

Hardly massive.

Not to wish to turn this thread into a football one.... but...... If the sum of our summer business is to replace Tarkowski and bring in a right winger, we’ll be struggling again next season.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:09 pm

Just to add a little bit, here in the states in the PL review we have, they played the segment of SD's conference which was all about look alikeies, that went out to the whole of the states, many Man City fans tuning in, plus others interested in the game. At the end of it there was quite a discussion around SD, his attitude and they even played the game by showing "celebrities" who looked like the pundits and having a good laugh, this is the type of marketing and interest you generate without even trying. Had nothing to do with the actual football we play, it's all over social media, I've never seen this kind of attention even when we beat Liverpool a few weeks ago, now it doesn't mean we just got thousands of new paying fans, but it helps the image.

I will be interested to see how ALK market BFC as everyone's favorite underdog, I've always hated the statement about punching above our weight, but if that's what it means to get fans and revenue then I'm all for it.
Last edited by KateR on Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:10 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:03 pm
So if we sell Tarks that covers a large chunk of that.

Panic over.
Let's hope you're right

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:14 pm

DCWat wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:04 pm
Not to wish to turn this thread into a football one.... but...... If the sum of our summer business is to replace Tarkowski and bring in a right winger, we’ll be struggling again next season.
Agreed. We already have a very old squad, when are we going to start bringing the age of it down or god forbid try and improve man for man

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:17 pm

KateR wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:09 pm
Just to add a little bit, heer in the states in the PL review we have, they played the segment of SD's conference which was all about look alikeies, that went out to the whole of the states, many Man City fans tuning in, plus others interested in the game. At the end of it there was quite a discussion around SD, his attitude and they even played the game by showing "celebrities" who looked like the pundits and having a good laugh, this is the type of marketing and interest you generate without even trying. Had nothing to do with the actual football we play, it's all over social media, I've never seen this kind of attention even when we beat Liverpool a few weeks ago, now it doesn't mean we just got thousands of new paying fans, but it helps the image.

I will be interested to see how ALK market BFC as everyone's favorite underdog, I've always hated the statement about punching above our weight, but if that's what it means to get fans and revenue then I'm all for it.
I’m all for growth and increasing our reach however, if there’s one “whoop”, foam hand, “hell yeah” or talk of a 39th game, they can bugger off :D
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 KateR

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:18 pm

KateR wrote:
Just to add a little bit, here in the states in the PL review we have, they played the segment of SD's conference which was all about look alikeies, that went out to the whole of the states, many Man City fans tuning in, plus others interested in the game. At the end of it there was quite a discussion around SD, his attitude and they even played the game by showing "celebrities" who looked like the pundits and having a good laugh, this is the type of marketing and interest you generate without even trying. Had nothing to do with the actual football we play, it's all over social media, I've never seen this kind of attention even when we beat Liverpool a few weeks ago, now it doesn't mean we just got thousands of new paying fans, but it helps the image.

Good point Kate although that doesn't turn into money. I've seen and laughed at Corry but I wouldn't pay for it if it was on PPV
This user liked this post: KateR

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:19 pm

DomBFC1882 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:14 pm
Agreed. We already have a very old squad, when are we going to start bringing the age of it down or god forbid try and improve man for man
I’d throw a couple of midfielders into the requirements as well but I’m just greedy.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:21 pm

DCWat wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:19 pm
I’d throw a couple of midfielders into the requirements as well but I’m just greedy.
Haha yes ideally a centre midfielder with some creativity who is capable of passing the ball forward

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:24 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:02 pm
Paul , are you sure you know so much about this deal?

I agree with Zlatan , your inspiring finale is now outdated , I’m sorry to say
Hi Elizabeth, my primary source of facts are the Companies House filings for the 7 UK companies that Alan Pace (aka Alan Gary Pace) is a director of. My secondary sources are the information on LinkedIn and elsewhere re Alan Pace and ALK. My third sources are the various media reports on ALK takeover of BFC. Added to that are the interviews Alan Pace has given plus the other events at Burnley over the past several weeks.

Then I've weighed it all up with my experience of the world of business, including a little bit of knowledge of US business people and what investment banks may do and, therefore, what Alan Pace and his colleagues may be thinking to do.

I find it odd that posters speak of the "financial experts who write about football" and yet don't think that Alan Pace, who's been an investment banker for a number of years, including holding senior positions with relationships with "high net worth" individuals cannot work out a business plan for Burnley football club.

Yes, there are a number of posters on here who are thinking "debt is bad" and "Burnley football club needs investment" - which some may equate with a Jack Walker type spending their money on the club.

Thankfully, we have got a few other posters who are seeing the opportunities, rather than problems. I'm one that also sees the opportunities.

I wish Alan Pace and his colleagues every success and that's what makes it for me

Exciting times.

UTC
These 2 users liked this post: superdimitri KateR

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:25 pm

I forgot about twitter tbh when ranting earlier.

They need to hand the clubs twitter account over to someone with a personality...

Many other clubs/businesses have accounts that regularly inject humour.

Specsavers did it the other day over something a ref did, I think it was Mike Dean, they invited him down to get his eyes checked :lol:

Roma were always good for a follow, along with Dortmund.

I remember Borussia M'Bach doing this...
Monchengladbach-723050.jpg
Monchengladbach-723050.jpg (46.77 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
That's funny stuff, but it gains clicks, views, likes and follows in some cases meaning an increase in profile.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:26 pm

DCWat wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:17 pm
I’m all for growth and increasing our reach however, if there’s one “whoop”, foam hand, “hell yeah” or talk of a 39th game, they can bugger off :D
What about the hats that hold 2 cans and have a connecting straw...

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:29 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:26 pm
What about the hats that hold 2 cans and have a connecting straw...
Not if they had bloody Budweiser in them!!
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:29 pm

I have got to say the pure enthusiasm on this board, on both sides of the debate is pretty enjoyable. Difficult times for everyone but at least we are all passionate about something.

I guess time will tell with ALK I just wish they were more transparent about what they intend to do with the club and how they are going to be able to do it.
These 4 users liked this post: Paul Waine DomBFC1882 GodIsADeeJay81 KateR

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:31 pm

KateR wrote:

Hi Kate, I've a feeling that Sean Dyche has very much bought in to raising BFC's "brand." The way you describe the response to his "look-a-likey" spot suggests it hit bulls-eye. He's a clever guy is Sean Dyche. The social media response to his "look-a-likey" spot may be one (very) small part of raising the club's "brand."

Good luck with your business plans - both as an employee and in your own ventures.

Exciting times.

UTC

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:31 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:29 pm
I have got to say the pure enthusiasm on this board, on both sides of the debate is pretty enjoyable. Difficult times for everyone but at least we are all passionate about something.

I guess time will tell with ALK I just wish they were more transparent about what they intend to do with the club and how they are going to be able to do it.
Exactly mate. It's the passion that keeps me writing these long messages.

The Mrs is lucky is if she gets more than a sentence 😂

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:28 pm

KateR wrote:

Interesting perspective, I saw some of that build the profile kind of thing too, but it was also classic football manager creates a different story to the one that is central to the mind of many, the takeover, and the various reorts as to how it is financed and the lack of transfer activity - it covered a lot of bases really and was the smartest piece of work from Dyche in a press conference for a long time. What was evident was that he was protecting his employers. For now at least he is onboard, firm in the knowledge that his position is the most bulletproof in English top flight football - it was before but he wasn't happy with just that.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:54 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:24 pm
Hi Elizabeth, my primary source of facts are the Companies House filings for the 7 UK companies that Alan Pace (aka Alan Gary Pace) is a director of. My secondary sources are the information on LinkedIn and elsewhere re Alan Pace and ALK. My third sources are the various media reports on ALK takeover of BFC. Added to that are the interviews Alan Pace has given plus the other events at Burnley over the past several weeks.

Then I've weighed it all up with my experience of the world of business, including a little bit of knowledge of US business people and what investment banks may do and, therefore, what Alan Pace and his colleagues may be thinking to do.

I find it odd that posters speak of the "financial experts who write about football" and yet don't think that Alan Pace, who's been an investment banker for a number of years, including holding senior positions with relationships with "high net worth" individuals cannot work out a business plan for Burnley football club.

Yes, there are a number of posters on here who are thinking "debt is bad" and "Burnley football club needs investment" - which some may equate with a Jack Walker type spending their money on the club.

Thankfully, we have got a few other posters who are seeing the opportunities, rather than problems. I'm one that also sees the opportunities.

I wish Alan Pace and his colleagues every success and that's what makes it for me

Exciting times.

UTC
Thanks for that thoughtful,comprehensive reply Paul, I do hope you are right.
Today is the first day I have tried to find out a bit about the deal. Up to then I was really excited, anticipating positive things such as enhanced spectator excitement off the field due to it being Americans ,who can really make that match day special.
I was aware of the American talking so positively about Dyche along with his own future plans for the club, on and off the field.I felt secure.
I listened to Simon Jordan today with alarm. He talks well and has experience of the business side of football and big money. Up to then I had played down the high number of worried posters on here but as I read more I started to question whether my original positive feeling towards the Americans was misplaced.
My lack of business and finance knowledge doesn’t make me feel bad because I’ve always put people first in my life. I do however like to know what people with such knowledge think. Especially if they are Burnley fans and it involves my club.
There are other business orientated fans like yourself who are not alarmed , in fact the opposite . I know you will remain excited . Many of these business orientated fans are used to risk taking and therefore are bound to feel far more comfortable with things like our club’s cash being loaned to the Americans as part of the finance they needed to buy the shares.
Relegation is the word that has been used most often when discussing this deal. It seems to be the devil that will curse this deal. The talk before the change was that when we were relegated we would be in a good position to challenge for a return to the PL.
I’ve seen nothing from anybody reassuring fans that this high risk strategy is bullet proof. In fact everyone has gone out of their way to cover themselves by saying that it isn’t. If it does turns out to be full of holes my fear is that the way the club handles relegation from the PL under this new ownership will be a whole lot different to what it would have been.
As of tonight I think it was a risk not worth taking and happened for the sole reason the previous two major shareholders wanted to cash out and this was the only way they could do it.

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:31 am

I know Boden dissed the idea a few days ago but has the idea that Alan Pace and co are going to buy a 90% share in Spezia in Italy for 20 - 25m Euros really gone away? Madness that you can buy a controlling share in a Seria A club for the same price as Liverpool wanted for Wilson.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:42 am

Holidayed very close to La Spezia - its a nice part of the world and on the face of it a decent club to partner with. Certainly be a decent destination for a pre-season friendly.

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:29 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:52 pm
Hi aggi, and yet none of these "well known journalists" refer to the £98 million equity paid into Kettering Capital. The only way I can see that the journos have "the substance of the stories correct" is if MSD have lent money to ALK for ALK to pay into Kettering Capital as equity. This doesn't make sense. Yes, lend money, as debt, to the business but, if MSD want equity then they can buy equity themselves.

Exciting times.

UTC
As I've said before, we don't know enough about that equity to prove/disprove any of the stories.

The obvious, is that the loan from MSD, a loan from BFC and the owner's capital has been used to fund that equity in Kettering Capital (maybe via Velocity Sports in Jersey) and that will then be used to buy the shares in the club. This all ties in with what's in the public domain and the various stories.

To MSD it doesn't matter how that loan ends up being used to buy BFC so long as they have the security in place.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:40 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:31 pm
Hi Kate, I've a feeling that Sean Dyche has very much bought in to raising BFC's "brand." The way you describe the response to his "look-a-likey" spot suggests it hit bulls-eye. He's a clever guy is Sean Dyche. The social media response to his "look-a-likey" spot may be one (very) small part of raising the club's "brand."

Good luck with your business plans - both as an employee and in your own ventures.

Exciting times.

UTC
Sean's antics at the Press Conference also defused any questions about the takeover funding and another failed transfer window that otherwise would surely have made the headlines... Clever indeed..

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:51 am

Can’t escape the fact that paying a high rate of interest on a multi- million pound loan is taking money out of our transfer budget and out of our club.

£8 million (educated guess) out of our transfer budget every year is a significant amount and it now seems we will have LESS to invest in improving the pace, power and technical ability of our squad than before the takeover.

It just doesn’t make any sense to me at all.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:11 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:51 am
Can’t escape the fact that paying a high rate of interest on a multi- million pound loan is taking money out of our transfer budget and out of our club.

£8 million (educated guess) out of our transfer budget every year is a significant amount and it now seems we will have LESS to invest in improving the pace, power and technical ability of our squad than before the takeover.

It's only less to spend if we fail to increase revenue, its not really that difficult to understand tbh

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:14 pm

Mala591 wrote:

To use your 8m figure, over 7 seasons that's 56m, roughly the same figure MG squirreled away in "cash reserves" all for it to disappear over night.

So paying interest on loans for 8 years or giving it away to share holders is nor here nor there.
And It dudnt take 8 years to squirrel away...

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:14 pm

Will ‘increasing revenue’ include a significant increase in season ticket prices?

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:20 pm

Mala591 wrote:

It’s actions that we need to see, so that we can have some confidence in them being able to; service the debt, ensure that the playing squad improves and other developments such as the ground, scouting and academy can continue.

What I’d ultimately want to see, if the club is grown and revenue increases significantly, is the clearing down of the debt (wishful thinking?) and the long term future of the club secured. Whether that’s by having a healthy bank balance (unlikely with investors involved), a reduced reliance on TV money or something else, I don’t know.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:36 pm

KateR wrote:

To be honest, if an interview like that one about lookalikes attracted new fans, I would be happy they were far, far away , and nowhere near the Turf. All this image making, branding, or being alluring to certain markets abroad (usually gambling) is a billion light years from what Burnley football club is about for many fans. This Americanised pap may well attract some people, but don't you think its all becoming one big corporate gloopy mess sometimes? I do, and it has little or nothing to do with a small town club in Lancashire founded in 1882.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:39 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:14 pm
Will ‘increasing revenue’ include a significant increase in season ticket prices?
It could do, but also sponsorship and matchday corporate revenue could also help earn more revenue.

Also if the academy is doing its job that should also bring in fees for players that dont make it here, whether immediate finance, or later when/if sold on in the way of sell on fees.

Any that do make the first team squad will also save us money as we wont need to outlay any finance, if they go on to do well, and fetch in a decent fee ( McNeil type ) then that also grows revenue.

We dont know if AP scout app may bare fruit too. You only need to find that 1 Mahrez, Kante or Vardy, and it can net you anywhere upto 50m, aswell as again having the benefit of them having been in your team for 2 or 3 years.

Let's just give it at least a chance to work.
Last edited by MACCA on Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:40 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:36 pm
To be honest, if an interview like that one about lookalikes attracted new fans, I would be happy they were far, far away , and nowhere near the Turf. All this image making, branding, or being alluring to certain markets abroad (usually gambling) is a billion light years from what Burnley football club is about for many fans. This Americanised pap may well attract some people, but don't you think its all becoming one big corporate gloopy mess sometimes? I do, and it has little or nothing to do with a small town club in Lancashire founded in 1882.
That mentality is part of the problem on here, small club, wants to stay a small club etc etc.

Step out of the doldrums and into the big wide world.
We aren't this small club anymore, we haven't been for a while to be fair, but the mentality of some of you is seemingly going to carry on being that way.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:41 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:14 pm
Don't know as yet.

If they can increase the commercial aspect with out increase ticket prices then great, but we have to wait and see.
The fact that we can't sellout TM with prices this low, it doesn't make sense to increase prices.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:47 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:40 pm
That mentality is part of the problem on here, small club, wants to stay a small club etc etc.

Step out of the doldrums and into the big wide world.
We aren't this small club anymore, we haven't been for a while to be fair, but the mentality of some of you is seemingly going to carry on being that way.
And the ill merited arrogance of fans like yourself who willingly accept this ridiculous business model without question is staggering. What price would you put on integrity and solid values ?

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:51 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:51 pm
Hang on a minute, I think a lot of what you've posted makes sense!
Anyway I'm lumbered for life with an optimistic viewpoint as my bloodgroup is B+ ;)
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 KateR Juan Tanamera