ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:37 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:32 pm
I don’t understand your argument, any fan would prefer a billionaire owner rather than owners that start there tenure-ship plunging the club into debt.
Ah so a gradual decline into unmanageable debt is the more preferred option.

Yes I think Bolton fans preferred that right up until they realised how bad it had gotten when Eddie sold up.

They don't view Eddie in the same light anymore.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3163 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:38 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:30 pm
I don't know what the relegation clauses are for our staff.

With all the money spent etc this last decade, we are a more attractive proposition for players and managers if we got relegated and Dyche left.
While there are indeed relegation clauses in all the players contracts (football standard is 30% - 40%) I think that is in the accounts somewhere and Premier League bonuses (roughly 30%) of the player and coaching staff wage bill (1st team squad only I suspect) are not paid on relegation. The bigger concern is that the permanent contracted staff at the club has doubled in the last 3 years to around 300, more than 1 season in the Championship is likely to see a significant round of redundancies.

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:47 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:29 pm
How successful have billionaire owners been?
Only 1 that I can think of, Chelsea.

City are owned by a company, as are Leicester I think.

The rest just prop up their clubs.
That's a bit of a weird argument. Chelsea are owned by a company that is owned by Abramovich. City are owned by a company that is owned by Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, etc

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:49 pm

aggi wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:47 pm
That's a bit of a weird argument. Chelsea are owned by a company that is owned by Abramovich. City are owned by a company that is owned by Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, etc
My point being Newcastle stated a preference for billionaire owners instead of a leveraged buyout but it's only been a success for a very small number of clubs, if we are measuring success by regular top half/6 finishes and trophies.

The rest just bob along making up the numbers.

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:50 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:00 pm
I think you will find that MG, in the latter stages of his reign, had altered his title to that of "Executive Chairman" for which he received a remuneration

If Mr Pace is going to relocate to this area, in order to work closely on the financial stability of the club, where will his future earnings come from ?
There's no evidence either way as to whether he received a salary as Executive Chairman. He hadn't received any remuneration up until 30 June 2019.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:02 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:29 pm
How successful have billionaire owners been?
Only 1 that I can think of, Chelsea.

City are owned by a company, as are Leicester I think.

The rest just prop up their clubs.
Manchester City is owned by CFG a multi-club group which is controlled by a Billionaire, and has 2 other major investment groups each controlled by Billionaires, some of the other clubs in CFG have share holdings with other Billionaires

Leicester is owned by King Power which is owned by a Billionaire family

Liverpool is owned by FSG which is a multi-franchise sports group owned by a group of around 20 families - which are for the most part Billionaires

Manchester United are owned by a Billionaire family who also have a multi-franchise sports group

Arsenal is owned by a Billionaire and are part of a multi-franchise sports group

Tottenham is owned by a Billionaire

These are the clubs which have won most of the domestic trophies in the last decade and/or have participated in the Champions League
-------------------------------
Wolves are owned by Fosun which is controlled by a Billionaire family and have football clubs in Switzerland and China

Aston Villa are owned by NSWE which is owned by two Billionaires

Leeds United are owned by a Billionaire and and Billionaire family that control the San Francisco 49ers

Brighton are owned by a Billionaire who also owns a club in Belgium

These clubs have appeared to be on the up
------------------------------------------
Crystal Palace are controlled by two Billionaires who have other sports franchises

Newcastle are owned by a Billionaire

Southampton are owned by two Billionaires

Fulham are owned by a Billionaire and part of a multi-franchise group

Everton are owned by a Billionaire

West Ham is owned by a Billionaire and someone else who is close to being a Billionaire

These clubs have peeks and troughs of form - Palace and West Ham are the 8th and 9th longest serving current members of the Premier League, Everton are ever presents
----------------------------------------------
West Brom is owned by Chinese group that want to sell

Sheffield United are part of a multi-club group

and Burnley's owners may be poorer than the last lot

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:37 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:02 pm
Manchester City is owned by CFG a multi-club group which is controlled by a Billionaire, and has 2 other major investment groups each controlled by Billionaires, some of the other clubs in CFG have share holdings with other Billionaires

Liverpool is owned by FSG which is a multi-franchise sports group owned by a group of around 20 families - which are for the most part Billionaires

Manchester United are owned by a Billionaire family who also have a multi-franchise sports group

Arsenal is owned by a Billionaire and are part of a multi-franchise sports group

These are the clubs which have won most of the domestic trophies in the last decade and/or have participated in the Champions League
Wolves are owned by Fosun which is controlled by a Billionaire family and have football clubs in Switzerland and China

Leeds United are owned by a Billionaire and and Billionaire family that control the San Francisco 49ers

Crystal Palace are controlled by two Billionaires who have other sports franchises

West Ham is owned by a Billionaire and someone else who is close to being a Billionaire

These clubs have peeks and troughs of form - Palace and West Ham are the 8th and 9th longest serving current members of the Premier League, Everton are ever presents

This right there is what I mean when I say every single Fan would prefer to be taken over by a billionaire rather than a leveraged takeover.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:17 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:37 pm
This right there is what I mean when I say every single Fan would prefer to be taken over by a billionaire rather than a leveraged takeover.
I was happy with our previous owners and have never wanted a Billionaire, to stretch the club's sustainability or take us financially out of the reach of the community in which it was based. Yes they could have done more to grow the commercial income, though that was coming on stream and all the evidence I have seen was that they were on a planned growth across the whole club.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:35 pm

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:15 am
I wonder who the local businessman mentioned in the BBC article is? Fishwick maybe? guess we'll be playing spot the missing advert tonight :lol:
I'd have expected anyone in the van supply business to have done very well during a period when shops aren't open and the roads full of vans delivering parcels from on-line purchases.

Exciting times.

UTC

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:48 pm

Chester Perry wrote:

Great listing of all the Premier League clubs, CP.

It's great that Burnley Football Club is competing with them.

Exciting times.

UTC

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:50 pm

Chester Perry wrote:

How does the ownership work of those clubs work in terms of financing the clubs? Are they just pumping their own money in or are they putting the club into debt (like Davies did at Bolton) by lending rather than "giving"?

What I am trying to get at is that it's all very well having a millionaire owner but what happens if/when they decide enough is enough? Is the club saddled with debt or just a huge hole in their income?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:51 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:35 pm
I'd have expected anyone in the van supply business to have done very well during a period when shops aren't open and the roads full of vans delivering parcels from on-line purchases.

Exciting times.

UTC
I doubt that would stop him asking for a discount. I suspect Fishwick would be quite happy to be named in the article, he's not shy when it comes to publicity.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:57 pm

FT reporting today potential rights deflation in the next EPL TV rights deal - possibly 10-15% which will have a knock on effect for the clubs

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:59 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:51 pm
I doubt that would stop him asking for a discount. I suspect Fishwick would be quite happy to be named in the article, he's not shy when it comes to publicity.
Hmmm, every game on tv. Sponsors names seen every time. I hope BFC aren't shy in their response to any of the sponsors who think they've lost out by no fans being at the games.

Of course, we'll all be playing "spot the missing sponsor" tonight. ;) As well as counting all the betting ads. :(

Exciting times.

UTC

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:59 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:57 pm
FT reporting today potential rights deflation in the next EPL TV rights deal - possibly 10-15% which will have a knock on effect for the clubs
I have been saying it for months, it is all on the MMT thread

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:03 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:59 pm
Hmmm, every game on tv. Sponsors names seen every time. I hope BFC aren't shy in their response to any of the sponsors who think they've lost out by no fans being at the games.

Of course, we'll all be playing "spot the missing sponsor" tonight. ;) As well as counting all the betting ads. :(

Exciting times.

UTC
There are new ones too - the surprising one is the number of housing/property companies - I think I saw 3 on the Bob Lord for the Bournemouth games

I will say that new line-up does look far smarter and more Premier League than the double up stack quilt mish/mash that was a throwback to the 80's - though it has lost some of the nostalgic charm the club has been appreciated for

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:34 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:50 pm
How does the ownership work of those clubs work in terms of financing the clubs? Are they just pumping their own money in or are they putting the club into debt (like Davies did at Bolton) by lending rather than "giving"?

What I am trying to get at is that it's all very well having a millionaire owner but what happens if/when they decide enough is enough? Is the club saddled with debt or just a huge hole in their income?
Venky's are covering the losses and writing off chunks here and there.
Davies covered them and wrote them off, but had a clause in the sale that if Bolton got promoted he got a percentage of the TV money.

In Boltons case, writing off the debt achieved nothing because the cause of the losses, the wage bill, was still there and a massive problem.

Brighton have the same issue, as do most PL clubs.

For years Bolton fans said it was fine cos Eddie was there..
Brighton are the same about it.

Many fans from varying clubs, inc this one, can't see the issue of running a club at a massive loss and relying on an owner to cover those losses.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:47 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:30 pm
I don't know what the relegation clauses are for our staff.

With all the money spent etc this last decade, we are a more attractive proposition for players and managers if we got relegated and Dyche left.
I’m pretty sure we had relegation clauses in last time we were relegated and we ended up losing around 8 million.

We’ve now got a much larger wage bill and if we did go down we’ve got an additional 10 million in Interest payments now.

Not sure how all that adds up to us being a more attractive proposition for players if Dyche left on relegation.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:50 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:47 pm
I’m pretty sure we had relegation clauses in last time we were relegated and we ended up losing around 8 million.

We’ve now got a much larger wage bill and if we did go down we’ve got an additional 10 million in Interest payments now.

Not sure how all that adds up to us being a more attractive proposition for players if Dyche left on relegation.
Modern training facilities.
Recent history of being in the PL.
We will naturally want to get back in there again and we won't need to sell players in the first season at least.

Yeah we are more attractive then we were when Dyche took over
This user liked this post: Winstonswhite

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:02 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:50 pm

I will do the big six for now

Chelsea - have around £1,5 billion of debt to the owner, and want a new stadium that is likely to cost similar - which is why it is on hold. The owner could regain the balance on sale perhaps with some profit. The club is only operationally profitable when it is selling players, the next few years are going to be challenging on that front and they may revisit the stadium build as a result of seeing Tottenham's impressive financial returns on the new ground. The club;s profitability is hugely reliant on Champions League qualification

Manchester City, operate a very stringent financial model these days, they are commercially very successful and increasingly less reliant on Abu Dhabi. They benefit from the reduced costs of shared resources of CFG. I suspect they want to buy the City of Manchester stadium from the council, and there are plans in place to further expand the stadium but not a fixed date for it to happen. There is the complication that Cities traditional support are amongst the poorest in the Premier League (like ours). CFG is already a multi-billion dollar entertainment corporation that seems to be getting bigger. The new arena they are building at the Etihad campus will strengthen that brand, I expect it will be a model replicated across the group. The club's finances are huge reliant on Champion's League qualification

Manchester United are servicing their debt relatively comfortably, but not reducing it, it is at a level where the Glazier family would still expect to extract a £2 billion profit should they sell. It is noticeable that last Year the Glaziers borrowed money to sign Fernandes at United and Brady for the Buccs and both have paid off in revenue generation via on the field results. Revenue growth on the commercial side had been static for some time and there is a widespread belief in the industry that Old Trafford is in dire need of a major refurb. The club's profitablity is hugely reliant on Champions League qualification

Liverpool are very tightly controlled financially, the scale is different but so much followed the Garlick approach even on salaries. Money is loaned only for projects that generate additional revenues that raise income above interest and principal repayment costs (a rarity in football). The commercial side has leapt forward in the last 3 years overtaking Chelsea and there are plans to overtake the Manchester clubs too which is entirely possible. There are plans in place for a further extension of Anfield, though like Chelsea no fixed date to commence. Until now their on field recruitment has been based on player sales, that is likely to dry up for a while so they need the other streams to kick into top gear. Those revenue streams are highly dependent on Champions League qualification

Tottenham a famous for being tightly controlled financially and will be cursing that just as they were using the finances generated by the new Stadium the Pandemic kicked in forcing them to borrow a large amount to cover operating costs. That Stadium generates around £4m - £5m on a matchday and I suspect at least £20m in none matchday activities, it could be considerably more. The club is not as good at the commercial side of things but still generates more than we do overall. Last week they hired a specialist in that side from the Miami Dolphins, first up is that much talked about £20m+ naming rights deal they have never got near to signing. There is no plan to pay down the principal of the Stadium loan (£600m+) in the next 10 years which could cause problems in the long term. For now the club is worth twice the debt on it. They need Uefa qualification and in recent years Champions League qualification has been transformative

Arsenal have never been able to leverage the benefits that the income at the Emirates did to the bottom line, they have been paying down the principal though, the club still has over £200m in debt (currently to the owner, though that may be farmed out in the future and borrowed £120m for operational costs from the BoE. Finances have been challenged as costs built on the assumption of Champions League qualification have been met with Europa League returns.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:08 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:03 pm
There are new ones too - the surprising one is the number of housing/property companies - I think I saw 3 on the Bob Lord for the Bournemouth games

I will say that new line-up does look far smarter and more Premier League than the double up stack quilt mish/mash that was a throwback to the 80's - though it has lost some of the nostalgic charm the club has been appreciated for
counted

3 spots advertising the club on the Bob Lord
3 spots advertising the club on the Cricket Field
4 spots advertising the club on the Jimmy Mac
also a huge Whitehough board (BFCitC)

so far - that is a lot of lost sponsors and not counting the double stack removal on the Bob Lord

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1526 times

Post by chekhov » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:02 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:02 pm
I will do the big six for now

Chelsea - have around £1,5 billion of debt to the owner, and want a new stadium that is likely to cost similar...
Chester Perry, I have a question. Did you just type all that out off the top of your head? I’m impressed, you are a mine of information with an encyclopaedic knowledge.
And while I’m at it, thank you for your always interesting contributions to this board.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:13 pm

chekhov wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:02 pm
Chester Perry, I have a question. Did you just type all that out off the top of your head? I’m impressed, you are a mine of information with an encyclopaedic knowledge.
And while I’m at it, thank you for your always interesting contributions to this board.
He has it all written on his arms, like old skool exam cheating, so it's ready to use when needed
This user liked this post: chekhov

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:54 pm

chekhov wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:02 pm
err yes :ugeek: :ugeek: :oops:
This user liked this post: chekhov

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:24 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:09 pm
looks like more changes to the articles of association at the club are coming through - I suspect in line with those at the holding company, just housekeeping in reality though interesting that the signatory was Mile Garlick on these changes, on the day of takeover.

https://find-and-update.company-informa ... ng-history
This has now been posted at Companies House - As I previously suggested done to keep in line with changes at the Holding company to allow the loaning of money to a related company to buy shares in the business - Article 4 has changed to allow it still working though the rest of it

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:22 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:34 pm
Venky's are covering the losses and writing off chunks here and there.
Davies covered them and wrote them off, but had a clause in the sale that if Bolton got promoted he got a percentage of the TV money.

In Boltons case, writing off the debt achieved nothing because the cause of the losses, the wage bill, was still there and a massive problem.

Brighton have the same issue, as do most PL clubs.

For years Bolton fans said it was fine cos Eddie was there..
Brighton are the same about it.

Many fans from varying clubs, inc this one, can't see the issue of running a club at a massive loss and relying on an owner to cover those losses.
Brighton are an interesting one - yes there are debts of circa £300m to the owner, and they are still growing as a result of Covid (Eddie's debt build up was about £185m in an era of substantially less tv money, so proportionately greater), you can see Brighton growing revenues and being very smart in acquisition and development of young talent going forward, plus their catchment is both large and relatively prosperous in comparison to Bolton. The Amex has the capability of expanding to around 32,000 seats, but anything beyond the current outer shell is unlikely to get pass the local council, who are already seething about the volume of match-goers not using public transport and especially cycles. You could reasonably expect a latent demand for a 40,000 capacity ground with around 8000 hospitality seats for them in the Premier League over the next couple of seasons and I am sure it would be an attractive location for the Football tourist market given the proximity to London and the amenities on offer in the area

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:42 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:49 pm
My point being Newcastle stated a preference for billionaire owners instead of a leveraged buyout but it's only been a success for a very small number of clubs, if we are measuring success by regular top half/6 finishes and trophies.

The rest just bob along making up the numbers.
The issue at Newcastle in regards to a leveraged buyout, is that the club carries debt of circa £110m to Ashley and has a relatively low cash position, though it does have a recent history of generating profit and paying down loans successfully. Ashley has a longstanding promise that he will only seek repayment of his loans upon the sale of the club, he also wants to recover all the money he has invested in the acquisition and development of the club hence the £300m + asking price that he won't budge on. He has softened a little on a staged payment deal, but is only interested in someone who can pay in cash.

I have long argued that if Newcastle fans really wanted him out they would let him have the loans repaid by the club and thereby reduce the selling price, they don't see it that way though for some reason. If it did happen and they could stay in the Premier League then they would be ripe for an LBO because currently there is no absolutely doubt that they under-perform commercially

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:51 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:08 pm
counted

3 spots advertising the club on the Bob Lord
3 spots advertising the club on the Cricket Field
4 spots advertising the club on the Jimmy Mac
also a huge Whitehough board (BFCitC)

so far - that is a lot of lost sponsors and not counting the double stack removal on the Bob Lord
I will also add that for the most part I saw the same few companies on hoardings on The Jimmy Mac, Bob Lord and Cricket field stands, is this also part of the new policy, if so you would imagine that the price has rocketed and the club are only looking for another 3 advertisers/sponsors.

I am surprised not to see any comments on this. it is a massive shake up and there will be a lot of long term partners who have been shed. Interesting that the owners are confident and strong enough to set a price and not waver when offered less (at least that is how I read it). Some will be a little relieved I expect but no doubt a few will be angered by both the manner of it and that this has occurred mid-season .

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1231 times

Post by joey13 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:05 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56089037

So much for the local community
This user liked this post: tim_noone

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:07 am

From my experience when you undertake work with Burnley Football Club, they more often that not, plead poverty. So they’ll butter the companies up with advertising and commercial opportunities to get a discounted price. Which is fair enough.

This is probably quite normal for most football clubs, as advertising comes to no cost to them really. But on paper, it’ll look like the club are really lowballing.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:42 pm

joey13 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:05 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56089037

So much for the local community
People do not like to admit it but this is a town and region where memory and bitterness is held long (often for generations) and forgiveness is in very short supply. You can only see this biting back at some point in the future when the need is greater.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

KateR
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:55 pm

If that's the full truth of everything it is MG who would have had the "gentlemen's agreement" I would have thought, he should have ensure he stuck to it in some way, will probably never know the full truth of it but it's not a great advertisement for AP & BFC. For decades I have seen these types of handshakes agreements cost money to parties and it's not a good way to do business and an easy way to lose friends.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32545 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:02 pm

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:15 am
I wonder who the local businessman mentioned in the BBC article is? Fishwick maybe? guess we'll be playing spot the missing advert tonight :lol:
One advert has been changed recently. It's on the Bob Lord wall just to the left of the home dug out. It's for a scaffolding comany and it always used to say NAME Scaffolding - for the perfect erection. The last part has now been removed.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:09 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:22 pm
Brighton are an interesting one - yes there are debts of circa £300m to the owner, and they are still growing as a result of Covid (Eddie's debt build up was about £185m in an era of substantially less tv money, so proportionately greater), you can see Brighton growing revenues and being very smart in acquisition and development of young talent going forward, plus their catchment is both large and relatively prosperous in comparison to Bolton. The Amex has the capability of expanding to around 32,000 seats, but anything beyond the current outer shell is unlikely to get pass the local council, who are already seething about the volume of match-goers not using public transport and especially cycles. You could reasonably expect a latent demand for a 40,000 capacity ground with around 8000 hospitality seats for them in the Premier League over the next couple of seasons and I am sure it would be an attractive location for the Football tourist market given the proximity to London and the amenities on offer in the area
When we first went to Brighton we parked at Lewes and got the train in. Last time it was train all the way via Brighton, but two seasons ago, when we won 3-1, we drove all the way to a housing estate some 15 mins walk away. It's permit holders only parking (residents) but the residents sell their parking spaces on match days. I don't know how all that will work in terms of the current free public transport situation.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times

Post by Grumps » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:17 pm

I don't get the sponsor saying they won't be getting the same amount of coverage, unless it was on the Longside. Surely more people are watching the games now, than the 20,000 who would normally attend live, plus its a worldwide audience.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:26 pm

Grumps wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:17 pm
I don't get the sponsor saying they won't be getting the same amount of coverage, unless it was on the Longside. Surely more people are watching the games now, than the 20,000 who would normally attend live, plus its a worldwide audience.
Do we actually have any advertising on the Longside?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:28 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:26 pm
Do we actually have any advertising on the Longside?
At the moment I don't know, but normally I think there are pitch side hoardings

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:33 pm

Grumps wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:28 pm
At the moment I don't know, but normally I think there are pitch side hoardings
I sit in that stand so wouldn't ever see but the wall isn't high enough at one end to have anything I wouldn't have thought.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:42 pm

There’s definitely advertisements between the two tiers, or was last time we were allowed in.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:44 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:33 pm
I sit in that stand so wouldn't ever see but the wall isn't high enough at one end to have anything I wouldn't have thought.
I look over to it every game, and still not sure :lol:
Like said above, there certainly are adverts around the boxes

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:48 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:33 pm
I've just had a look at a photo I took at an empty turf moor two years ago

There were adverts pitch side and between the levels
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:52 pm

Quite right we are asking for proper fees now. Every match is televised and their branding will have significantly greater reach than in a normal season. Fair enough a few months grace when the pandemic hit but we are not a charity.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:55 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:52 pm
Quite right we are asking for proper fees now. Every match is televised and their branding will have significantly greater reach than in a normal season. Fair enough a few months grace when the pandemic hit but we are not a charity.
Think your missing the point. A lot of the sponsors have been there for a significant time, the club didn’t always have this reach and would rely on the income a lot more than they did now.

Concerning that the new owners have just come in an effectively ripped up local community sponsorship. Doesn’t send the best message.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:59 pm

Ripped up or not bending over backwards for what's premium advertising spaces that can generate more revenue?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:20 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:55 pm
Concerning that the new owners have just come in an effectively ripped up local community sponsorship.
Have they?

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:23 pm

[quote=ClaretTony post_id=1506100 time=1613672410 user_id=48]Have they?[/quote]

What else do you call it when they back track on an arrangement?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:27 pm

What legally binding arrangements are they backing up on?

I'm going to assume it's none...

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:31 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:23 pm
What else do you call it when they back track on an arrangement?
What have they back tracked on?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:31 pm

Iam sure all advertisers sign a contract per season

Are people suggesting those contracts have been ripped up?

Or are they being told they will have to pay more in future.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:40 pm

We've all known for a long time that we can't enjoy champagne tastes if all we've got is beer money. The Premier League is the champagne and it's "drunk" in a global market place. So, that's where our sponsorship and advertising space must now be, it must be sold in the global market place. Of course, it's brilliant if the businesses around Burnley are also "pitching themselves, pitch side" (you see what I did there? ;) ), some of them, after all, do have a multinational/global presence. It's great if the town of Burnley, alongside the Premier League football club, can also "pitch" itself globally. That's how the town will grow and the citizens of Burnley will prosper.

Let's not feel regrets that we are leaving behind some of the "goals" (have I done it again? ;) ) of the lower leagues? We all believe Burnley Football Club belongs in the Premier League. It's great that we have owners who are setting out their commercial model to shows that they also believe that Burnley Football Club belongs in the Premier League.

Exciting times.

UTC