Which way round does the recruitment work ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
kenyon6923
Been Liked: 34 times

Which way round does the recruitment work ?

Post by kenyon6923 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:04 pm

in a nutshell

1 Does SD tell the recruitment team ideally what he wants ? say "I need a right back, centre half, midfielder and a winger preferably right footed and away they go.

or

2 Does SD name ideal names like "Ideally I would like Trippier, Worrall, Stephens and Wilson" or does he come up with 3 names for each position he wants and hopes to get one ?

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Re: Which way round does the recruitment work ?

Post by Right_winger » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:08 pm

We have recruitment? Are you sure?
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:24 pm

It obviously doesn't.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:26 pm

Two pronged

Scout team will have dossiers on potential players that's always updated.

Dyche and his team will identify potential weak points and either recommend players themselves or ask scouts what's out there.

Dyche or Rigg will identify who to try and sign.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 977 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:27 pm

MG checks the loose change in his trouser pockets and puts in a call to Rigg :lol:

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:27 pm

As many things are now, Recruitment is Cancelled.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:30 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:27 pm
MG checks the loose change in his trouser pockets and puts in a call to Rigg :lol:
Fair play - somebody who knows the difference between lose and loose.
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat ecc

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 977 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:32 pm

Factual Frank

Lose was last night :cry:

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:32 pm

A manager must also be scouting. He'll be looking at players and suggesting those he wants to sign. Scouts would then double check on those and come back with a report. It's then sent to Garlick to refuse. Sorry, I mean it's then sent to Garlick to give his thoughts.

If I were the manager, I'd be always be keeping my eye out for new players. But I'd want a filtering system. I say Mr X is a quality player and we should consider him - I'd pass that onto the scouts to go and watch him a few times - if that passes, it goes to Garlick and we say we want to sign him.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:51 pm

We have a certain type of player profile we look for. The club then find several within budget and Dyche makes the call.

Unfortunately Mike Rigg has been on furlough for four windows.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:56 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:51 pm
We have a certain type of player profile we look for. The club then find several within budget and Dyche makes the call.

I take it your ban has just ended pal! Good to have you back.

bumba
Been Liked: 681 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by bumba » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:58 pm

I think Rigg will identify a hell of a lot of players around the UK and Europe an put those to Dyche, but Dyche has a specific type he wants an think he will refuse all of them unless its players he wants such as Stephens.
Rigg probably identifies cheaper alternatives across Europe which Garlick will know about an Dyche will want the more expensive British players from the UK that Garlick won't want to part ways with the cash when there's cheaper players about.

claretburns
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:23 pm

bumba wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:58 pm
I think Rigg will identify a hell of a lot of players around the UK and Europe an put those to Dyche, but Dyche has a specific type he wants an think he will refuse all of them unless its players he wants such as Stephens.
Rigg probably identifies cheaper alternatives across Europe which Garlick will know about an Dyche will want the more expensive British players from the UK that Garlick won't want to part ways with the cash when there's cheaper players about.
This is what I have been saying to friends over the past couple of weeks, everyone has been attacking the board and asking to break our budget and give Dyche players, quite rightly, but at the same time it isn't all on the board, Dyche needs to bring his "certain type of player" down a few notches to give us more variety and chances of finding players good enough for the Premier League.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:39 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:51 pm

Welcome back

Looking at the last four windows it doesn't seem to work like that.

I would say .......

We have a certain type of player profile we look for. The recruitment department finds several outside of our budget, who probably don't want to come to us, belong to clubs that probably don't want to sell them and they don't fit that profile.

Dyche is either left out of the loop, over ruled or he gives his approval ( based on the belief that the player he picks is a realistic target, when they actually aren't ).

The net result is that we end up wasting all of of our time chasing our tails and then we have to sign a last minute emergency ( better than nothing ) option who probably wasn't even on our list until we screwed things up.

Or we get really lucky and a player like Brownhill ( who satisfies every requirement ) unexpectedly drops in our lap.

Instead of spending a fortune on a new recruitment set up we might have been better off buying a new filing cabinet to hold all of our scouting reports from four years ago ( that were done by others, before the new recruiters arrived ), because they seem to be driving our player purchases after everything has gone wrong.

Had Rigg been on furlough for four windows we might have fared better.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:43 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:39 pm
Welcome back

Looking at the last four windows it doesn't seem to work like that.

I would say .......

We have a certain type of player profile we look for. The recruitment department finds several outside of our budget, who probably don't want to come to us, belong to clubs that probably don't want to sell them and they don't fit that profile.

Dyche is either left out of the loop, over ruled or he gives his approval ( based on the belief that the player he picks is a realistic target, when they actually aren't ).

The net result is that we end up wasting all of of our time chasing our tails and then we have to sign a last minute emergency ( better than nothing ) option who probably wasn't even on our list until we screwed things up.

Or we get really lucky and a player like Brownhill ( who satisfies every requirement ) unexpectedly drops in our lap.

Instead of spending a fortune on a new recruitment set up we might have been better off buying a new filing cabinet to hold all of our scouting reports from four years ago ( that were done by others, before the new recruiters arrived ), because they seem to be driving our player purchases after everything has gone wrong.

Had Rigg been on furlough for four windows we might have fared better.
A much better length (she said). Not too much scrolling and worth reading.

I still expect, that we have a filtering system, and it might start with the scouts and then go to Dyche, then finally to Garlick. And within that system 99.9% of players are filtered out.

That's how it should work. If someone sees a quality player, you'd want other people to agree before you sign it.

"He looks quality!"
"Yeah, but he has a limp"
"Ah yeah, well spotted."

The cream then rises to the top and everybody is happy.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:06 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:43 pm

Is that another example of innuendo ( she said ) ?

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:40 pm

Caretaker will be putting a shilling in the meter and turning fax machine on at approx 6.00am tomorrow

Garlick will then have his begging message proofread by Dianna before sending out to all agents

Further copies directly to the likes of Crouch, Reid, Driver etc

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:48 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:06 pm
Is that another example of innuendo ( she said ) ?
Only on a good day.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:05 pm

Dyche says we could do with a RW to help with the workload of Dwight, someone who can create chances.

Mr Rigg will say I have player A, he could slot straight in but would be quite expensive, player B, a bit if a work in progress, not getting much football so could be a decent all round purchase or player C who's got potential and not quite ready yet, he will need to be developed by us, but is quite cheap and fits in with our finances.

Then Mike Garlick says you've £5 to spend so you name your list in preference order, and when we get to option M who isn't either of the brackets , if I can faff around a few days and squeeze every last pound out of the transfer fee we can get them.

If they're old, injured or both iit's even better, it will help drive the fee down.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:12 pm

Are we sure that SD is as fussy as is being described

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:34 pm

People who've seen Sunderland Til I Die will recall the rather odd recruitment situation at the SOL.

The CEO, Bain, talks with two blokes who make a quick presentation of players they were tracking. This would have been summer 2017 I think just after they'd been relegated from the PL. Ashley Westwood and Dean Marney were on the list. Bain says straight away "Well, you can forget about PL players as we can't pay the wages".

We're rubbish at recruitment but not alone. :)

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:45 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:56 pm
I take it your ban has just ended pal! Good to have you back.
Last week I think. Was enjoying being away. And then last night went and happened. Bastards.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:32 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:43 pm
A much better length (she said). Not too much scrolling and worth reading.

I still expect, that we have a filtering system, and it might start with the scouts and then go to Dyche, then finally to Garlick. And within that system 99.9% of players are filtered out.

That's how it should work. If someone sees a quality player, you'd want other people to agree before you sign it.

"He looks quality!"
"Yeah, but he has a limp"
"Ah yeah, well spotted."

See the problem with filtering systems is they always seem to miss rough diamonds, and that’s the exact market we should be shopping in. Get someone who who may be a bit raw and refine them. That requires good old fashioned scouting, sending some to actually watch them play over the course of a few games.

Andre gray was a rough diamond. We brought him in and polished him up and punted him on for a large profit. That’s the type of players we need to look at. More chance of finding them abroad for reasonable money though.

Dyche wants experience and diligence. A Bardsley/Mee type of player. Someone who is Hard working and follows instructions,physical and knows how to look after themselves. Doesn’t matter if they are basic players or over 30.

The board aren’t completely to blame, Dyche is too narrow minded on players.