Concussion subs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Re: Concussion subs

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:54 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:13 pm
Absolute certainty that it will be abused when a manager has used all his subs and needs a change. If proven, VAR, the concussed player should be off with no sub.
The authenticity of the concussion should be down to medical staff, hopefully neutral ones.
This user liked this post: tiger76

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:01 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:54 pm
The authenticity of the concussion should be down to medical staff, hopefully neutral ones.
I believe this is how it works in other sports notably rugby, and yes the medics should have the final say.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:07 am

aggi wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:26 pm
I see a change to a temporary concussion sub has been ruled out by IFAB.
Good. FIFA and the FA should do nothing about concussion subs until the players, managers, and subs start to take it seriously.

I would suggest that for a couple of years, every time a player goes down with an apparent head injury and play has to be stopped, then that player must be subbed. And if they have run out of subs, tough - that's why they have so many subs available. We would certainly find the number of times the game has to be stopped would be greatly reduced, because the players are just taking the michael.

There is a good reason why pretending to be drowning is an absolute no-no ina swimming pool, because it takes attention away from someone else who may actually need help. Until the players can get it into their thick, cheating heads that pretending to have head injuries can do nothing but harm to the cause of solving the problems of concussion, then FIFA's and the FA's decisions can't solve anything.