Is it just me

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1771 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Is it just me

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:34 pm

So I’m going about my day, pottering about, then it pops into my head again that Burnley were knocked out the cup quite comprehensively by a lower League side again... and it puts me in a bad mood. It’s like an intrusive thought that just nestles into my mind without me expecting it.

I’ve been in a bit of a grouchy mood all day today and I think ultimately, it’s because of that sack of **** team I support.

It must be a good thing though, because it shows I still care I suppose. Useless gets.
These 2 users liked this post: MT03ALG jdrobbo

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Re: Is it just me

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:43 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:34 pm
So I’m going about my day, pottering about, then it pops into my head again that Burnley were knocked out the cup quite comprehensively by a lower League side again... and it puts me in a bad mood. It’s like an intrusive thought that just nestles into my mind without me expecting it.

I’ve been in a bit of a grouchy mood all day today and I think ultimately, it’s because of that sack of **** team I support.

It must be a good thing though, because it shows I still care I suppose. Useless gets.
It's what they do to us mate. It's not the losing that bothers most of us, its the manner in which we lost and the team selection for an important game.

Anyway let's hope we can get 6 points from the next 2 games now 🙏

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:50 pm

Not me, I've been at work from 7.30am straight through until 10pm.

If I let the footy bother me as much as some of you lot I'd be a right miserable sod..

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:59 pm

Nah , can think of many more games where I’ve been much more down for days after.
Off the top of my head , the away game at Crewe near the end of the season we nearly went out of the football league is one of those .
I went on that match and we were so awful and so easily beaten I felt for many days that there was no way that side would survive . But we did!

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1771 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:01 pm

That’s the thing, I’ve not been this narked in a while, I don’t get why people get so worked up over results.

I’m not even that bothered about the performance, I mean, what did I expect... really? So it’s not as if it came as a surprise, but I think it’s the actual outcome that triggers me this time.

But it just pops in there.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:23 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:50 pm
Not me, I've been at work from 7.30am straight through until 10pm.

If I let the footy bother me as much as some of you lot I'd be a right miserable sod..
So it does bother you then Sid...

:D
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Bosscat tim_noone

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:39 pm

We only get narked because it's OUR team.

The players, the staff, and the manager aren't necessarily supporters.

To most of them, it's a job. For us, it's our reason for following football.

Hence the angst when things don't go the way WE (Supporters) want them to go.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:48 am

I'm glad people are still starting new threads about Tuesday night. The board wa starting to be overrun by other topics.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times

Post by Grumps » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:50 am

I'd go and see a doctor if it's bothering you that much

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:58 am

I find unacceptably poor results very difficult to let go of. They can completely spoil th Ed following day for me.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:50 am

Can't really get that enthused about lockdown football tbh. As long as we stay in the prem and secure the money we need, that's all that matters at the moment.

Got kind of annoyed for about 5 mins on Tuesday, then forgot about it. I'll be much more worried if we lost our next three league games.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 473 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:02 am

Even in the old days the league meant more to me than the cup so I really can’t be fussed about our second string going out.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:08 am

Culmclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:02 am
Even in the old days the league meant more to me than the cup so I really can’t be fussed about our second string going out.
Exactly, it's what the club, and every other club, is geared up for. Doing as well as you can over the 38/40 games in whatever league you are in, anything else is a bonus, but not at the detriment of the main goal, and if you prefer playing in another cup game abroad, don't enter the compition, or field the youth side... That's how much the FA cup means to the biggest clubs in the country.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1702 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:10 am

For me it hit home when watching WHU, Man Utd, Brighton and Leicester , Everton and Spurs all play their cup games after ours, and to see they had put our very strong teams. All six have much bigger squads than us, and if anything you would have expected some key rotation for these games to keep big names happy

The team we put out was rudderless and the Captain Bardsley for the night, just didn't seem to care, and certainly not capable of lifting the 11 that started

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:34 am

warksclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:10 am
For me it hit home when watching WHU, Man Utd, Brighton and Leicester , Everton and Spurs all play their cup games after ours, and to see they had put our very strong teams. All six have much bigger squads than us, and if anything you would have expected some key rotation for these games to keep big names happy

The team we put out was rudderless and the Captain Bardsley for the night, just didn't seem to care, and certainly not capable of lifting the 11 that started
How many changes did those clubs make from their last league game? Certainly utd benched their best player, I don't know the other teams.

Sheff utd put a strong side and got through. I wonder how many of their fans would swap places with us at this time?

StTedsOB
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by StTedsOB » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:47 am

United played a £40m signing instead of Fernandes.
It’s a massive difference changing your starting eleven when you have established internationals ready to come in rather than players who are not even proven at championship level.
Whether you agree with what Dyche did or not it’s simply a fact that no other Premier League team fielded a team anywhere near as weak as Burnley did in the cup this week.
But I do understand why SD has done this with the key games we have got coming up and the injuries and weakness of his current squad.

Ipreferaflan
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Ipreferaflan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:51 am

Grumps wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:34 am
How many changes did those clubs make from their last league game? Certainly utd benched their best player, I don't know the other teams.

Sheff utd put a strong side and got through. I wonder how many of their fans would swap places with us at this time?
That has zero relevance - they've still got a chance of staying up but their manager still thought it was important enough to send out a team capable of winning. A good win in the cup won't harm their chances of staying up. Winning breeds confidence, regardless of opponent.
Last edited by Ipreferaflan on Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat tiger76

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8536 times
Has Liked: 18275 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:52 am

Ipreferaflan wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:51 am
That has zero relevance - they've still got a chance of staying up but their manager still thought it was important enough to send out a team capable of winning. A good win in the cup won't harm their chances of staying up. Winning breads confidence, regardless of opponent.
Must have used his LOAF

Sorry couldn't resist 🤭
This user liked this post: Ipreferaflan

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:57 am

Grumps wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:34 am

They certainly did not go to the same lengths as us by playing 3rd, 4th and 5th choice players in respective positions. You only put that team out that we did when (a) you are as manager not accountable for your actions and (b) you don't care two stuffs about the FA Cup, despite saying how much the Club loves the FA Cup.

I know there is a balance, and I was not expecting the likes of Pope, and both of Mee and Tarks to start,but as previous rounds one of them. And also to start Benson and Stephens v a central midfield of 3 that Bournemouth had, is a distinct lack of planning by our coaching team, made worse by having a fit Westwood on the bench. We had more success in the Cup under Cotterrill at a time we could hardly field a bench, and certainly under Coyle . And before you say anything I dont want those times back. I just hope Alan Pace shows some balls re fututre transfers and decisions such as these that stifle our progress and are disrespectful to our fans

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:06 am

warksclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:57 am
They certainly did not go to the same lengths as us by playing 3rd, 4th and 5th choice players in respective positions. You only put that team out that we did when (a) you are as manager not accountable for your actions and (b) you don't care two stuffs about the FA Cup, despite saying how much the Club loves the FA Cup.

I know there is a balance, and I was not expecting the likes of Pope, and both of Mee and Tarks to start,but as previous rounds one of them. And also to start Benson and Stephens v a central midfield of 3 that Bournemouth had, is a distinct lack of planning by our coaching team, made worse by having a fit Westwood on the bench. We had more success in the Cup under Cotterrill at a time we could hardly field a bench, and certainly under Coyle . And before you say anything I dont want those times back. I just hope Alan Pace shows some balls re fututre transfers and decisions such as these that stifle our progress and are disrespectful to our fans

Ah those cup memories under Coyle once in the Premier League, scraped past Hartlepool in extra time, then lost to lower league Barnsley next round in the league cup. In the FA cup we won at MK Dons with about 1800 of us making the trip strange how the tie didn't catch the imagination of many when we had such a good cup record under him the season before. The following round which we lost again to a lower league side we took about 1000, although Owen had left by then but still the tie didn't catch the imagination of many.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:07 am

warksclaret wrote:

So really our team was ok, except you'd have started mee or tarks?
Westwood was on the bench because Cork is carrying a knock, and could risk Westwood doing the same... A midfield of stephens and Benson at Palace or against Fulham would just be plain stupid, if as you suggest it wasn't good enough against Bournemouth

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:10 am

Still doing anger management classes from the leeds game
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:20 am

Grumps wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:07 am
So really our team was ok, except you'd have started mee or tarks?
Westwood was on the bench because Cork is carrying a knock, and could risk Westwood doing the same... A midfield of stephens and Benson at Palace or against Fulham would just be plain stupid, if as you suggest it wasn't good enough against Bournemouth
Why would stephens or benson even be considered starting against palace or Fulham, you are buying into the worse casebook scenario as actual reality, you can play 1st teamers & actually get through a game with a full compliment at the end, regarding fatigue the best part of a week was ahead to get refreshed again, seems to be a warped misconception prevalent that players need extended rest periods after hardly featuring nevermind a full 90.
This user liked this post: tiger76

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 994 times

Post by MrTopTier » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:25 am

I am just glad to read people moaning about football on a football message board. Very refreshing.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:46 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:20 am
Why would stephens or benson even be considered starting against palace or Fulham, you are buying into the worse casebook scenario as actual reality, you can play 1st teamers & actually get through a game with a full compliment at the end, regarding fatigue the best part of a week was ahead to get refreshed again, seems to be a warped misconception prevalent that players need extended rest periods after hardly featuring nevermind a full 90.
Like I've said elsewhere, hopefully dyche takes advice who to rest from our highly experienced sports scientists, not old jakub from uptheclarets

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:51 am

Much as I love my club, and I am a ""foreigner" that lives 150 miles away, I have realised that for some fans supporting our club is not synonymous with ambition. Always happy to accept whats presented and living on nostalgia. Everyone to their own

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:57 am

I can't be upset because it was expected.

What was surprise was the late equaliser against MK Dons and a win on penalties, and then the comprehensive beating of Fulham. For a moment I thought that perhaps we might be interested in a cup run but when I saw the team for Bournemouth I knew I was kidding myself. I hoped for the best but expected exactly what we got.

The Fulham win plus those against Liverpool and Villa were a real lift though. Perhaps the next three games can do something similar.

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:13 am

warksclaret wrote:

Exactly this Warks. Tarks for Dunne and Westwood for Benson. Opportunities like this don't present themselves every season. Yes we have a weak squad. Yes we expect so much from our key players. Yes we need the majority of the team to overperform to win games. But, being 3 wins away from safety and plenty of winnable games left, we should have been more bullish. Especially after the way we dispatched Fulham in the last round...and the momentum built.
Hey ho, win on Sat and all will be forgotten/forgiven

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:16 am

Garnerssoap wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:10 am
Still doing anger management classes from the leeds game
the one in the 70's ?

StTedsOB
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by StTedsOB » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:22 am

I agree Westwood should have played but for Stephens not Benson. At least Benson has the energy to make runs and get up and down the pitch.
Stephens lack of pace and sharpness has been eye opening to put it mildly.
That said we don’t know the full picture with injuries and how near Cork and Brownhill are to returning so playing Westwood could have been a massive risk.
Playing Tarks or Mee and also Lowton (who has been excellent in the last couple of games) would have been much less of a risk and made us quite a bit stronger and better in terms of senior players and leaders on the pitch.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:22 am

Marney&Mee wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:13 am
Exactly this Warks. Tarks for Dunne and Westwood for Benson. Opportunities like this don't present themselves every season. Yes we have a weak squad. Yes we expect so much from our key players. Yes we need the majority of the team to overperform to win games. But, being 3 wins away from safety and plenty of winnable games left, we should have been more bullish. Especially after the way we dispatched Fulham in the last round...and the momentum built.
Hey ho, win on Sat and all will be forgotten/forgiven
M & M -I am glad there is at least one more ambitious fan in the camp.Totally agree with you.Its finding the balance rather than throw the towel in before the fight. Maybe we should ask the authorities to be omitted in future, in order that an extra non league club can savour the magic of the Cup

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:22 am

Nah, I was over it before the game finished. The only time football bugs me is when you play great, give it everything and you get robbed of a result.

But if you're rubbish and get beaten fair and square, that's fine and part of any sport.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:23 am

Dont worry, we win on saturday now, and we were only going to get beat 5-0 to City anyway.
Every cloud and all that

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:25 am

Look i know is was very poor from the Clarets but when you feel down just think about the Emirates and Anfield and if still not any better how about Old Trafford ..

Fantastic times that will last a lot longer then Tuesday night for me .

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:32 pm

Grumps wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:46 am
Like I've said elsewhere, hopefully dyche takes advice who to rest from our highly experienced sports scientists, not old jakub from uptheclarets
Yes them same very sport scientists earning vast fortunes from talking nonsense, people can conquer mountains in days stopping for a few hours & then setting off again, but somehow we are ideologically wed to the notion that young healthy professionals people need constant rest playing a odd game here or there.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:37 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:32 pm
Yes them same very sport scientists earning vast fortunes from talking nonsense, people can conquer mountains in days stopping for a few hours & then setting off again, but somehow we are ideologically wed to the notion that young healthy professionals people need constant rest playing a odd game here or there.
They should easily be able to play four games a day with only 2 hours sleep a night.

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:58 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:37 pm
They should easily be able to play four games a day with only 2 hours sleep a night.
Aye, in my day we played 10 games a day with a cassy in 6ft of mud. We had a a meal of gravel and a cup of cold sick at half time and we were ruddy grateful to play. Modern footballers bah humbug.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:13 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:32 pm
I suggest you watch the documentries on city and spurs. You will then see how much money and expertise is put into this side of a football club, and how much influence they have on who can play and for how long
You might not have seen the vest sports people now wear, they give all the information anyone would ever need as to how the body is responding at any given time. It's also done in real time during games.

Like I said, thank the lord they don't take fitness advice from you.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:11 pm

Grumps wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:46 am
Where did Dyche say he rested players on the advice of our scientists ?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:39 am

Complete fabricated nonsense, scientists! in today’s modern era simple apps on a phone or a Fitbit watch can tell you what you need to know. Nobody as yet to explain how older people can successfully scale Everest without the sort of the rest footballers get but kicking a ball about once or twice a week competitively is far more draining than climbing mountains.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:59 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:11 pm
Where did Dyche say he rested players on the advice of our scientists ?
Where did I say he had said it

However if you don't think he takes advice from our sports science team / fitness team on the fitness or otherwise of our players then you know less about a managers role than you think you do.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:16 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:39 am
Complete fabricated nonsense, scientists! in today’s modern era simple apps on a phone or a Fitbit watch can tell you what you need to know. Nobody as yet to explain how older people can successfully scale Everest without the sort of the rest footballers get but kicking a ball about once or twice a week competitively is far more draining than climbing mountains.
Roll on the 8th March

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:35 am

I think there's a lot more to sports science than how much abuse each player can take in the short term. It's more about preventing recurring injuries and sustainable fitness in the future.

Any comparison to something like mountain walking has no relevance to football. Fitness is a much bigger deal than it used to be and these players want to be fit in the long term. For years, not just to reach the top of a mountain once.

If you think sports science isn't relevant in football just look at another physical sport where participants need to keep long term fitness like Tennis.

Without it, players like Gudmundsson or Brady probably would have retired already and there would have been no chance for players like Marney recovering from injury and still doing so well for us at a good age.

Our sports science department and Mark Howard in general have done an excellent job, not helped this season again by lack of squad depth and a few irresponsible challenges putting one of two of our players out early season.
This user liked this post: Grumps

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:46 am

superdimitri wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:35 am
I think there's a lot more to sports science than how much abuse each player can take in the short term. It's more about preventing recurring injuries and sustainable fitness in the future.

Any comparison to something like mountain walking has no relevance to football. Fitness is a much bigger deal than it used to be and these players want to be fit in the long term. For years, not just to reach the top of a mountain once.

If you think sports science isn't relevant in football just look at another physical sport where participants need to keep long term fitness like Tennis.

Without it, players like Gudmundsson or Brady probably would have retired already and there would have been no chance for players like Marney recovering from injury and still doing so well for us at a good age.

Our sports science department and Mark Howard in general have done an excellent job, not helped this season again by lack of squad depth and a few irresponsible challenges putting one of two of our players out early season.
Exactly, 100% on the mark

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:08 am

I still occasionally get narked when i remember the home game v Rovers under Laws, so.....

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6963 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:10 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:39 am
:lol:

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:10 am

Jakub never lets anyone down.

Only surprise is he isn't suggesting what kind of capital punishment we should all be voting on for the players and manager

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:02 am

Grumps wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:59 am
Where did I say he had said it

However if you don't think he takes advice from our sports science team / fitness team on the fitness or otherwise of our players then you know less about a managers role than you think you do.
Right , so we are agreed Dyche never said he rested any player on Tuesday because of scientific advice .
Whether he takes on such advice is another matter entirely and irrelevant to that match.
I may not be a football manager but unlike some people I don’t go around inventing scenarios that I don’t know existed or not.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:03 am

Inventing scenarios or being a body language expert is quite common on here, especially after a loss..

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:24 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:02 am
Right , so we are agreed Dyche never said he rested any player on Tuesday because of scientific advice .
Whether he takes on such advice is another matter entirely and irrelevant to that match.
I may not be a football manager but unlike some people I don’t go around inventing scenarios that I don’t know existed or not.
Iam sure he takes their advice for every game... Including Tuesday night... Are you suggesting he doesn't?