I rest my case

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretyke
Been Liked: 5 times

I rest my case

Post by claretyke » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:38 pm

I said before on another thread that it appears the officals between them don't
know the rules, how embarrasing for them again

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Re: I rest my case

Post by tiger76 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:47 pm

claretyke wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:38 pm
How many officials does it take to ref a PL game, answers on a postcard please, because clearly 4/5 isn't enough as they still can't get the obvious decisions correct. it's a good job this isn't a multi-million pound industry they're employed isn't it. :roll:
This user liked this post: Bosscat

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:10 pm

I’ve said it before and I stick to it.
The worst thing that ever happened in football was the PGMOL. In the old days you had a different ref every game and you got the odd poor one, anybody can have an off day. Now you have the same collection turning up regularly, every fan knows who are sub-standard but nothing is ever done about it. How poor must the guys be further down the leagues?

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:19 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:10 pm
I’ve said it before and I stick to it.
The worst thing that ever happened in football was the PGMOL. In the old days you had a different ref every game and you got the odd poor one, anybody can have an off day. Now you have the same collection turning up regularly, every fan knows who are sub-standard but nothing is ever done about it. How poor must the guys be further down the leagues?

Maybe the problem further down the Leagues is they can't get into the 'Club' :?
This user liked this post: huw.Y.WattfromWare

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:58 pm

Interestingly, refs are only professional at Champ & Prem level.

claretyke
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by claretyke » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:01 pm

The standard of referees lies with Mike Riley and this
season with VAR has shown what a lot of people have been saying for ages
ours are really bad, none of our refs at the World Cup.
they cannot agree between them selves on decisions even after they have watched
one for ten minuets, and RILEY was far from any good when he was reffing.
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6900 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:04 pm

claretyke wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:01 pm
The standard of referees lies with Mike Riley and this
season with VAR has shown what a lot of people have been saying for ages
ours are really bad, none of our refs at the World Cup.
they cannot agree between them selves on decisions even after they have watched
one for ten minuets, and RILEY was far from any good when he was reffing.
The lack of English refs at the last World Cup was nothing to do with their quality.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:06 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:04 pm
The lack of English refs at the last World Cup was nothing to do with their quality.
I’m not sure, I think it played a part! We’ve been useless for as long as I can remember

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:07 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:06 pm
I’m not sure, I think it played a part! We’ve been useless for as long as I can remember
Pretty sure it was because Clattenburg, who was our representative, cleared off to the middle east mid-season.
These 2 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 Ashingtonclaret46

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:11 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:07 pm
Pretty sure it was because Clattenburg, who was our representative, cleared off to the middle east mid-season.
Maybe mate, based on the prestige & money in this country I’m amazed at how bad we are

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:15 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:11 pm
Maybe mate, based on the prestige & money in this country I’m amazed at how bad we are
Can’t argue with that.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:24 pm

Get rid of the referees in the VAR control room and people will instantly see the big difference it will make to public acceptance
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:51 pm

Does anyone know what would have happened if Pascal Gross’ penalty had gone in.

Ok, I’ll rephrase. What SHOULDVE happened if Pascal Gross’ penalty had gone in?

Only asking as I thought the stuttered penalty run up wasn’t allowed?

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:57 pm

It’s all made up bull**** as there go along, nobody knows for sure what the rules are so everything is blagged, Var spend half the time completely guessing decisions & getting half the decisions wrong, you might as well just let stevie wonder ref the games & make the decisions there would be more chance of getting things right.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:07 pm

To be fair, Lee Mason and friend weren't the only display of professional incompetence during the match. What about the second penalty, when Welbeck kicked the ball twice and had a free kick given against him; the commentator said it might have been because he was in an offside position.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:31 pm

Ha ha, offside from what? :lol:

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:46 pm

We quite rightly question them when they are wrong but what if every ref said oh fu ck it you can't win I'll just watch games instead football finishes. I played at a decent level until injury curtailed me, I thought of becoming a ref and was advised by an referee assessor 30 plus years ago not to bother as it's getting worse and you just get abused, that came from a former ref who did first division games and was so cynical. He was right.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:01 am

The problem is, when we had just the one ref, we could take the odd mistake. “They even out over a season” was the mantra. Then tv got involved and highlighted to the eighth degree mistakes you really couldn’t see with the naked eye. Thus rendering the “in the referees opinion” part of the law redundant.
Now we have refereeing by committee and they’re still making a balls of it. It’s taking several minutes, it’s taking millimetre technology to see things, things the crowd in the stands don’t get to see. It’s all B0LL0X.

The beautiful game is dying, if it isn’t already!!

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:26 am

bfcjg wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:46 pm
We quite rightly question them when they are wrong but what if every ref said oh fu ck it you can't win I'll just watch games instead football finishes. I played at a decent level until injury curtailed me, I thought of becoming a ref and was advised by an referee assessor 30 plus years ago not to bother as it's getting worse and you just get abused, that came from a former ref who did first division games and was so cynical. He was right.
There is a reason they get abused.
All football fans can be partizan and put on the tinted glasses, but when opposing fans unite to call out the referees then they have to have a point.
Even the vast majority of Leeds fans knew they got away with one through Jones at ER.

Our refereeing system needs scrapping, not fixing. The present incumbents show week after week, that they haven't got a clue, either about the rules of the game, or the game of football itself. VAR, instead of helping them get the big decisions right, only serves to highlight their total incompetence.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:36 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:26 am
There is a reason they get abused.
All football fans can be partizan and put on the tinted glasses, but when opposing fans unite to call out the referees then they have to have a point.
Even the vast majority of Leeds fans knew they got away with one through Jones at ER.

Our refereeing system needs scrapping, not fixing. The present incumbents show week after week, that they haven't got a clue, either about the rules of the game, or the game of football itself. VAR, instead of helping them get the big decisions right, only serves to highlight their total incompetence.
Change it from within, become a ref and work up through the ranks, get ex professionals to become refs but hardly anybody wants to though.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:39 am

bfcjg wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:36 am
Change it from within, become a ref and work up through the ranks, get ex professionals to become refs but hardly anybody wants to though.
Ex professionals are too old to work their way through the ranks as a referee. And if you’re a former professional footballer I doubt you’d be interested in pursuing a career with such a relatively low pay.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:55 am

bfcjg wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:36 am
I want ex pros to be given the job. It only needs some impetus from football itself for it to happen. Not every ex pro can become a coach, manager, or pundit. They know so much more than referees, or us fans, as to what occurs on the pitch.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:45 am

claretyke wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:38 pm
And again! Fulham’s handball, never in a million years.

Liverpool should’ve had a penalty, Chelsea players arm up head high, ball hits forearm preventing cross, play on!!

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:53 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:55 am
I want ex pros to be given the job. It only needs some impetus from football itself for it to happen. Not every ex pro can become a coach, manager, or pundit. They know so much more than referees, or us fans, as to what occurs on the pitch.
You ever listen to the waffle on MOTD? If a player from a 'big' team goes down it is, "It was minimal contact but he was justified in going down to win the free kick/penalty." but if it a player from one of the 'lesser' clubs (except Newcastle if Shearer is on) then it is, "Not enough contact for me to warrant the referee giving a free kick/penalty there."

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:29 am

bfcmik wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:53 am
You ever listen to the waffle on MOTD? If a player from a 'big' team goes down it is, "It was minimal contact but he was justified in going down to win the free kick/penalty." but if it a player from one of the 'lesser' clubs (except Newcastle if Shearer is on) then it is, "Not enough contact for me to warrant the referee giving a free kick/penalty there."
Pundits are pundits for a reason.
You don't need to be a top 6 player to make a good referee. There are pros throughout the leagues, with reputations for being hard but fair. Who give their all, but don't dive, don't leave a leg in, or go ott. I would say that anyone who does any of the above wouldn't be considered for referring, likewise anyone thinks contact is justification for hitting the ground like a sack of spuds.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:04 am

RammyClaret61 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:45 am
And again! Fulham’s handball, never in a million years.

Liverpool should’ve had a penalty, Chelsea players arm up head high, ball hits forearm preventing cross, play on!!
The Fulham handball was nothing to do with the officials being wrong or right - they were simply applying the rules of the game as they currently stand. Whether you or I or anybody else think they are wrong is immaterial as the rules are concerned. Same with the offside rules. If any of the designated portions of the attacker's body is in front of any of the designated portions of a defender's body then the attacker is offside. You could vary it to give,, say, an allowance of 3cm/10cm/50cm but people would complain because the attacker was 0.1cm further than the stated allowance.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:03 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:04 am
The Fulham handball was nothing to do with the officials being wrong or right - they were simply applying the rules of the game as they currently stand. Whether you or I or anybody else think they are wrong is immaterial as the rules are concerned. Same with the offside rules. If any of the designated portions of the attacker's body is in front of any of the designated portions of a defender's body then the attacker is offside. You could vary it to give,, say, an allowance of 3cm/10cm/50cm but people would complain because the attacker was 0.1cm further than the stated allowance.
The daylight rule was the best for offside. It would take seconds to check if we must persist with VAR. for me VAR should only be employed when requested or when the referee has made a clear and obvious mistake. Every decision makes it more a game for the officials than the players or fans, at the cost of flowing football.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:08 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:03 pm
The daylight rule was the best for offside. It would take seconds to check if we must persist with VAR. for me VAR should only be employed when requested or when the referee has made a clear and obvious mistake. Every decision makes it more a game for the officials than the players or fans, at the cost of flowing football.
The daylight rule is far more ambiguous than the current one.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:18 pm

Not with VAR checks.... if there is daylight between players main trunk they are off, takes seconds. If we must keep it we need it, it has to be quick.... we are seeing week in and out players not celebrate and wait for VAR to confirm.... it makes sitting in the stand pointless, all the excitement of watching live has been removed... every decision is going to the screen... you might as well be at home watching that screen in the warm without the thrills of live football, live football loses its excitement value.
Last edited by elwaclaret on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:18 pm

Offside should be judged that level, as seen by the human eye and with normal views as to what means level, is onside. They don't need to draw lines on the pitch for VAR. VAR can look at a still photo and say "is he level".

It was specifically stated in guidance to refs thirty years ago that level means to the normal human eye, not to the inch. It was also specifically stated that the offside change was to give the forward a bit of an advantage and lead to more goals - which means quite plainly that offside was not meant to be judged to the inch. They weren't talking about giving the forward half an inch of advantage.

Basically they want to go back to before Elleray and crew started tinkering with the rules and admit they have been worse than useless. Go back to the pre-Elleray laws and get some less tinker-minded people in charge.
These 2 users liked this post: elwaclaret Colburn_Claret

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:22 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:18 pm
Not with VAR checks.... if there is daylight between players main trunk they are off, takes seconds. If we must keep it we need it, it has to be quick.... we are seeing week in and out players not celebrate and wait for VAR to confirm.... it makes sitting in the stand pointless, all the excitement of watching live has been removed... every decision is going to the screen... you might as well be at home watching that screen in the warm without the thrills of live football, live football loses its excitement value.
Since when is a camera perpendicular to the last man to determine if there’s daylight between the players?

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:34 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:22 pm
Since when is a camera perpendicular to the last man to determine if there’s daylight between the players?
They get close enough to decide a shoelace at the moment. If you want a full investigation, I can send you my hourly rate card and I will launch my research programme.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:38 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:34 pm
They get close enough to decide a shoelace at the moment. If you want a full investigation, I can send you my hourly rate card and I will launch my research programme.
They use projected lines based on a grid of the pitch. Whilst there’s a significant margin for error it is at least a relatively consistent system.

You’re advocating they bring in the daylight rule. I’m just asking how is daylight determined by the technology when the cameras aren’t perpendicular to the players in question?

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Post by KefkaClaret » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:40 pm

Barely feel like VAR has affects us to be honest, outside of the Leeds goal but that was a refereeing error for blowng the whistle over VAR.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:41 pm

Re Welbeck double touch penalty
You are not allowed to kick the ball twice that's why the ref correctly awarded a free kick
When I did my ref training, ran by a ref who had just reffed the FA cup final , he said what you have to bear in mind is most players dont know the rules
Now with our mental penalty and off side rule changes ,I dont think anyone does

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:48 pm

If they are going to use lines for offside then it should just be to feet. Scrap the rule that you can be offside with other body parts, if your feet are onside then all of you is onside.

I genuinely don't know what to do about handball though.
We've ended up in a situation where there are different rules for different coloured shirts in different areas of the pitch.
The fulham goal being disallowed is patently ridiculous, but the reason the rule was brought in, Kane (i think) setting up the winner against City in the champions league is a sound reason to disallow goals.
You can't viably run with your arms straight down by your side either, so the handballs by defenders with the ball being hit at them from two yards away as they are moving is also ridiculous to award a penalty for.

Trying to turn a subjective decision (the distinction between deliberate and accidental) into a black and white decision doesn't work here I don't think.

Maybe keep the handball rule as it is now but scrap penalties for them unless it's in the six yard box? I dunno.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:49 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:38 pm
They use projected lines based on a grid of the pitch. Whilst there’s a significant margin for error it is at least a relatively consistent system.

You’re advocating they bring in the daylight rule. I’m just asking how is daylight determined by the technology when the cameras aren’t perpendicular to the players in question?
I fully get your point. I believe football is about the game, football used to be exciting, now it has as many rules as chess... do you really think most fans want to sit around waiting. I know as a referee you like your rules... I like an exciting flowing exciting game.... VAR serves you and robs me.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:52 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:18 pm
Offside should be judged that level, as seen by the human eye and with normal views as to what means level, is onside. They don't need to draw lines on the pitch for VAR. VAR can look at a still photo and say "is he level".

It was specifically stated in guidance to refs thirty years ago that level means to the normal human eye, not to the inch. It was also specifically stated that the offside change was to give the forward a bit of an advantage and lead to more goals - which means quite plainly that offside was not meant to be judged to the inch. They weren't talking about giving the forward half an inch of advantage.

Basically they want to go back to before Elleray and crew started tinkering with the rules and admit they have been worse than useless. Go back to the pre-Elleray laws and get some less tinker-minded people in charge.
I've always been pro VAR, but there's no need for all the multi coloured lines. As you say, if you can't tell with the naked eye, it's on. Most fans are realistic, if it's that close, for or against you live with it. At least the referee has the opportunity to review the blatant mistakes.
Regarding Ellery, it seems we've had more rule changes the last decade, than the previous 110 years. The vast majority of which haven't brought anything to the enjoyment of the game.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:54 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:49 pm
I fully get your point. I believe football is about the game, football used to be exciting, now it has as many rules as chess... do you really think most fans want to sit around waiting. I know as a referee you like your rules... I like an exciting flowing exciting game.... VAR serves you and robs me.
:lol: I’m not a referee. How dare you!!

I’d rather VAR was scrapped. I was never in favour of it and it has diluted the enjoyment of the game, in my opinion. I’m not disagreeing on that front. I’m just pointing out how the daylight rule isn’t really a feasible, or sensible option with the technology at hand.

The significant of offside decisions that have been overturned by VAR have been so marginal that I really don’t think fans of either side would care if they ended up on the wrong side of the decision. I certainly wouldn’t.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:57 pm

There is a need for all the multi coloured lines, though that need isn't for the fans, it's for the managers and players. It cannot be argued, it is fact, it can't be debated, it is what it is, and that's kinda the point of it.

If you start with things like 'daylight' or 'naked eye' then it becomes open to interpretation and you have managers espousing views such as 'referee X didn't do that in Man Utd's game so why are we different' and so on, because all that managers want to do when things go against them is blame the rule makers or enforcers.

As it stands now offside has been taken to it's logical if extreme conclusion. All that needs to happen to offside is remove the armpit and make it feet only.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:04 pm

Interesting points about ex-players becoming referees, the question is --Would you, as an ex-player, be prepared to be an official who, week in week out, is pulled to bits by people looking at slow motion replays, drawing lines on the pitch etc.,etc or would you rather just take a seat as a pundit or leave the game in total? Bear in mind that, any ex-pro would still have to work his way up to an acceptable level as an official and that takes time, it would not be an easy fix.

Recruiting young referees has become more difficult throughout the country and many who do eventually get their ticket are lost to the game within a couple of years because of the abuse they receive when learning their trade by doing Junior games.
Another problem is the fact that a lot of local and area leagues have gone out of existence and this gives even fewer opportunities for officials to progress, gain experience and then get promoted. In spite of this, there are still lots of games played in local leagues where no official referee is available ---such is the shortage.

In spite of what many fans think, the officials are a dedicated bunch who are abused every game by players, managers, coaches and fans but in spite of that they turn up and do the job. They will not get everything right, just as players don't get everything right, however, they give it their best shot in a game played at pace and where, outside of the top level, they only have one view in real time and give an honest decision.
It is not an easy job and it used to test the patience 30 years ago and I honestly think that, because of the way the game has gone and with more and more players diving around and falling over, the job has become a lot more difficult.
This user liked this post: Hipper

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:13 pm

I rested my case some time ago because of all the lockdowns. Hopefully i will be able to pack it again in the Autumn !!

Sproggy
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:33 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:57 pm
There is a need for all the multi coloured lines, though that need isn't for the fans, it's for the managers and players. It cannot be argued, it is fact, it can't be debated, it is what it is, and that's kinda the point of it.

If you start with things like 'daylight' or 'naked eye' then it becomes open to interpretation and you have managers espousing views such as 'referee X didn't do that in Man Utd's game so why are we different' and so on, because all that managers want to do when things go against them is blame the rule makers or enforcers.

As it stands now offside has been taken to it's logical if extreme conclusion. All that needs to happen to offside is remove the armpit and make it feet only.
Not quite true. The cameras being used don't have a frame rate that can keep up with the speed of the movement on the pitch. Which means all the line drawing in the world doesn't help them stop at the exact frame when the ball is played. So it's still open to interpretation, but it's the interpretation of the prat sat in his referee's kit in a portacabin in Stockley Park rather than the interpretation of the person running the line. Only that interpretation now takes 3 minutes to get to a controversial decision rather than half a second.

They're trying to be forensic with technology that doesn't support what they're doing and the results are laughable. Every week.
This user liked this post: dsr

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:05 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:54 pm
:lol: I’m not a referee. How dare you!!

I’d rather VAR was scrapped. I was never in favour of it and it has diluted the enjoyment of the game, in my opinion. I’m not disagreeing on that front. I’m just pointing out how the daylight rule isn’t really a feasible, or sensible option with the technology at hand.

The significant of offside decisions that have been overturned by VAR have been so marginal that I really don’t think fans of either side would care if they ended up on the wrong side of the decision. I certainly wouldn’t.
Sorry Riley, I thought it was you used to do a bit of reffing from discussions in the dim and distant past. I was for limited VAR but never for one minute believed they would employ it at the cost of the match... I’d rather go back to ‘even themselves out’ refereeing, even if it costs us a couple of goals a season wrong at least it is about the football and not making the officials the be all and end all of every match. I am not really missing live football the way things are, in fact I think if I’d been sat in the stand over this season I would be seriously considering giving up watching live.... anyone who knows me, will never of expected me to say that, including myself...

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:45 pm

In the case of handball, we had the situation where the ball hit the hand of Koscielny and went in the goal, a goal being awarded. We felt it was an injustice of course. It certainly didn't seem right but the Laws didn't say it was wrong.

I don't know if it was this case but perhaps because of something similar, and because you have to treat defenders and attackers equally in the Laws, it was decided that even accidental handball would be penalised. As a result, a defender accidentally handling the ball in the penalty area became a penalty - grossly unfair. So then we had mention of natural positioning of the arms, a more accurate definition of what a 'hand' is (in other words which part of the arm was covered by 'handball'). And so it went on. Something in the past that the referee may have used common sense on is now being decided by a committee.

This affects all levels of football but is driven by television (and perhaps therefore, money) and this insatiable drive for accuracy that simply isn't possible.

Frankly, because the penalty laws are being endlessly abused by players I think there should be a radical change to them so that the punishment more realistically fits the crime. It's ridiculous that a player who has no chance of scoring should be given an almost certain chance of a goal by something innocuous that happens to occur in the penalty area.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:59 pm

Hipper, I agree about the penalty laws being abused and, although it has always been the case it always niggles me that a player can be on the edge of the box, going down the by-line and then throw himself down because he 'feels contact' and this then results in a penalty.
I wonder whether or not IFAB have considered any change to the penalty laws ---I doubt it.