ARTICLE: Late change sends under-23s to The Hawthorns

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3163 times
Has Liked: 6754 times

Re: ARTICLE: Late change sends under-23s to The Hawthorns

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:10 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:47 pm
Not seen him at all this season but what I will say about him was I saw him give a goal away at Leeds last season and I can't recall one other error from him that led to a goal.
For what it's worth, and none of us sees what goes on behind the scenes, he appears the furthest developed of our academy/development goalkeepers.
It's a big step from U23 football to senior for any player. The added responsibilities of goalkeeping make that transition even harder.
One can only imagine that our analysts and goalkeeping coaches thought he was ready to have a go.
Perhaps it's a case of right club-wrong time?

Leisure
Been Liked: 3793 times
Has Liked: 12492 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:46 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:47 pm
Not seen him at all this season but what I will say about him was I saw him give a goal away at Leeds last season and I can't recall one other error from him that led to a goal.
Agree, so not sure just how being at Bolton and not playing is benefiting him or us?

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:20 pm

Bolton Wanderers and Burnley agreed that an appearance for the Clarets Under-23s was the best way to provide Lukas Jensen with some match sharpness as he waits for opportunities at his loan club.
The 21-year-old Dane is yet to make his debut for the Trotters after moving to the League Two club from the Clarets in the January transfer window on loan.
He turned out for Burnley's under-23s on Monday in the 2-1 defeat to West Brom, playing the full game.
Evatt has former Burnley keeper Matt Gilks as his No.1 and although the veteran made an error in the win over Cambridge in midweek, the stopper has performed to a consistently high level to help Bolton soar into the play-off places.
It means Jensen has had to be patient, with the absence of a Bolton Under-23 side not helping his cause.
But Evatt has been pleased with what he's seen of the youngster.
"He’s been doing great. I really like him as a character. He’s a throwback of a lad that loves his job, loves being a goalkeeper, just loves saving things and I know that sounds strange for a goalkeeper but you have to enjoy your work.
"He likes getting hit with a ball, it’s great to see. Crazy and strange.
"He’s doing great and he’s having to be patient because Matt’s doing so well but he understands and he loves being part of the first team environment.
"He’s loving the culture of the club. We’re actually allowing him to play some minutes for Burnley’s under-23s to give him match sharpness.
"He’ll be ready when called upon. I think he’s a fantastic young person as well as a goalkeeper.
“He’s learning every day, he’s learning about what it takes to forge a career in the game and be a first team footballer and he’s learning off someone who has a wealth of experience and is still playing very well.”

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32528 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:24 pm

Leisure wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:20 pm
Bolton Wanderers and Burnley agreed that an appearance for the Clarets Under-23s was the best way to provide Lukas Jensen with some match sharpness as he waits for opportunities at his loan club.
The 21-year-old Dane is yet to make his debut for the Trotters after moving to the League Two club from the Clarets in the January transfer window on loan.
He turned out for Burnley's under-23s on Monday in the 2-1 defeat to West Brom, playing the full game.
Evatt has former Burnley keeper Matt Gilks as his No.1 and although the veteran made an error in the win over Cambridge in midweek, the stopper has performed to a consistently high level to help Bolton soar into the play-off places.
It means Jensen has had to be patient, with the absence of a Bolton Under-23 side not helping his cause.
But Evatt has been pleased with what he's seen of the youngster.
"He’s been doing great. I really like him as a character. He’s a throwback of a lad that loves his job, loves being a goalkeeper, just loves saving things and I know that sounds strange for a goalkeeper but you have to enjoy your work.
"He likes getting hit with a ball, it’s great to see. Crazy and strange.
"He’s doing great and he’s having to be patient because Matt’s doing so well but he understands and he loves being part of the first team environment.
"He’s loving the culture of the club. We’re actually allowing him to play some minutes for Burnley’s under-23s to give him match sharpness.
"He’ll be ready when called upon. I think he’s a fantastic young person as well as a goalkeeper.
“He’s learning every day, he’s learning about what it takes to forge a career in the game and be a first team footballer and he’s learning off someone who has a wealth of experience and is still playing very well.”
And yet, if Gilks had gone down injured last night he wasn't on the bench to come on.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:51 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:24 pm
And yet, if Gilks had gone down injured last night he wasn't on the bench to come on.
Yes, very risky! Maybe one of their outfield players is a budding keeper!

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3163 times
Has Liked: 6754 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:17 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:24 pm
Yes, it's a bit silly.

Having read that statement from Evatt, there's nothing happening for Jensen at Bolton that he couldn't have got at Burnley, on the downside I can't see their coaches being better than ours.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32528 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:18 pm

Leisure wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:51 pm
Yes, very risky! Maybe one of their outfield players is a budding keeper!
I'd assumed he had another goalkeeper on the bench but I've just checked on last night and they didn't.
This user liked this post: Leisure

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:22 pm

Not got a keeper on the bench today either.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:36 pm

Lukas on the bench today.