Brighton ban season ticket holder for two years for offensive post

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Brighton ban season ticket holder for two years for offensive post

Post by pushpinpussy » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:57 pm

Im sure these guys have called our fans every name under the sun. Well surprise surprise.

Brighton & Hove Albion have banned a season ticket holder for two years after taking note of an "offensive and inappropriate" post on social media, the Premier League club said on Tuesday.

The club did not provide details of the post but its chief executive and deputy chairman Paul Barber said they had "zero tolerance" for abusive content.

"We expect all our supporters to adhere to some basic levels of respect... but those who choose not to will be faced with sanctions such as these and, where appropriate, criminal charges and prosecution," Barber said in a statement.

"In this instance, we thank those of our supporters who highlighted the posting to the club. As a result, the individual concerned has had their season ticket cancelled and a two-year ban imposed.

"We have stopped short of naming the individual or highlighting the post and we would request others to do the same as we do not wish to further highlight the behaviour or cause additional offence."

Brighton are 17th in the standings with 26 points after losing 2-1 to Leicester City over the weekend and the south-coast club sit outside the relegation zone only due to goal difference.
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas Claret tiger76

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Re: Brighton ban season ticket holder for two years for offensive post

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:01 pm

Firstly, well done to Brighton & Hove Albion for taking this action. We need all clubs doing it. I'd also say well done to them for not highlighting the post.

We had a situation on here a couple of days ago that had been and gone by the time I became aware of it. One poster has been banned permanently, and he now runs the risk of his details being passed on to the police, but what also really concerned me was the number of posters who jumped on the thread to respond. It made it more difficult to deal with. But at the same time, a big thanks to those who reported it.
These 8 users liked this post: Stproc huw.Y.WattfromWare Colburn_Claret Brucefanclaret tiger76 k90bfc simonclaret CombatClaret

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:20 pm

Seems to be getting more common. You just have to wonder what goes through peoples minds to post some things. BBC reporting a story about pictures of abused women next to one of Jurgen Klopp. Tagline being something like 'Beaten at home during lockdown' shared online.
:(

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:26 pm

The bloke concerned isn't bothered by the ban, someone's already asked him if it's away games only from now on and he's said yes.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:31 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:26 pm
The bloke concerned isn't bothered by the ban, someone's already asked him if it's away games only from now on and he's said yes.
Might not be, but it could potentially discourage others from repeat behaviour which can only be a good thing, surely we can agree on that.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:32 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:31 pm
Might not be, but it could potentially discourage others from repeat behaviour which can only be a good thing, surely we can agree on that.
I agree the ban is a good thing, I've seen what he said and he's a moron for it.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:37 pm

Great to see. I also like the sound of this:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... rolls.html

A few people should be booted from here for trolling. Hopefully the start of these idiots having to think twice before posting.
This user liked this post: ŽižkovClaret

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:46 pm

It's all extremely sad. There are keyboard warriors everywhere now (including one or two on here that will spout at someone whilst sat in the comfort of their own home but are probably the least likely to say the same thing to someone face-to-face). I'd really welcome a complete ban of social media altogether (I know it'll never happen for many reasons!)
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:46 pm

Shame Arsenal didn’t react the same way at the weekend
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat GodIsADeeJay81

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:53 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:20 pm
Seems to be getting more common. You just have to wonder what goes through peoples minds to post some things. BBC reporting a story about pictures of abused women next to one of Jurgen Klopp. Tagline being something like 'Beaten at home during lockdown' shared online.
:(
Really bad taste!

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:54 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:26 pm
Hopefully he'll not get tickets!

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:55 pm

Is it the post they keep hitting when they take penalties? :lol:

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:14 pm

I don't know which post or poster Tony's referring to regarding a ban and possible police action but it just shows you how careful the mods have to be and also how difficult their job is.

No club's fans are immune from this nonsense - it wasn't that long ago we had a poster banned for making homophobic comments against yup, you guessed it, Brighton fans. I've forgotten the poster's name but he's still active on here occasionally....

Lest we get too holier than thou about all this, I think it's time to remember the mods' rules regarding the board's content are to prevent the kind of rubbish we've been hearing about.
Last edited by evensteadiereddie on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:41 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:14 pm
I don't know which post or poster Tony's referring to regarding a ban and possible police action but it just shows you how careful the mods have to be and also how difficult their job is.
No club's fans are immune from this nonsense - it wasn't that long ago we had a poster banned for making homophobic comments against yup, you guessed it, Brighton fans.
Lest we get too holier than thou about all this, I think it's time to remember the mods' rules regarding the board's content are to prevent the kind of rubbish we've been hearing about.
I think I saw the post as I went to report it but it had already been reported and yes it was homophobic comments included in it so you are right, even if the post that CT refers to isn't the same one I saw and tried to report, we have a selection of posters on here that feel all too comfortable with making homophobic comments without a 2nd thought.
These 4 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 evensteadiereddie tiger76 ClaretTony

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:01 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:41 pm
I think I saw the post as I went to report it but it had already been reported and yes it was homophobic comments included in it so you are right, even if the post that CT refers to isn't the same one I saw and tried to report, we have a selection of posters on here that feel all too comfortable with making homophobic comments without a 2nd thought.
Yet still people wonder why we haven't got an openly gay footballer in the top 4 leagues in England.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie tiger76

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:14 pm

Leisure wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:54 pm
We have fans who get tickets for banned fans, it was admitted on here last week. Brighton will have similar fans.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:40 pm

Grumps wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:14 pm
We have fans who get tickets for banned fans, it was admitted on here last week.
Don't really see that, as the Burnley Police have spotters at every away game who are on the lookout for such fans. So don't really see banned fans risking it.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:13 pm

Without knowing all the details, well done to Brighton for their swift action, and even if this makes some people think twice before posting abusive messages then it might haver the desired effect, now whether it will is another question, but it's good to finally see a club taking action to try and stamp out this behaviour at least.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:24 pm

Leisure wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:40 pm
Don't really see that, as the Burnley Police have spotters at every away game who are on the lookout for such fans. So don't really see banned fans risking it.
Banned fans certainly get in games, I've seen them myself and a poster on the Club survey thread explained how they get tickets for banned fans. The trouble with being a club with a high number of banned fans, the spotters don't know them all.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:30 pm

F. A. O. Leisure
MACCA wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:15 pm
I was sat in a car outside the Turf on the day the tickets went on sale for the Reading away play off game, the queues were ridiculously long.

We were opposite the Bob Lord corporate entrance, and we saw a friend who asked how many we had, we said we didn't as we had no season tickets, no points and a 3 year away game banning order from the courts and a life time ban from the Turf in the group, and the rumours are there's less than 500 left, whilst there must be over a thousand still in the queue.

He asked how many we wanted, and said leave it with me. He made a call there and then, and said I've got your tickets, i just need to wait for the sold out sign/announcement.
We waited nervously for half an hour, he went in got the tickets and came out and said there you go, his relative only worked in the club shop or ticket office :lol: :lol:

So off we trotted down to Reading, and the worst bit of it was, we were spotted and on TV at full time celebrating away, couldnt make it up.

Same happened for Charlton other season.

It happens a lot, and it's fair enough, everyone wants to watch their team, especially in the big games.

yorkyclaret
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by yorkyclaret » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:56 pm

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:59 pm

Leisure wrote:
The common mistake you are making & what you fail to realise is that 1 person’s account regarding underhand ticket availability is applicable throughout every single game throughout the leagues, it’s a easy enough mistake to make😃

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:40 pm

Grumps wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:24 pm
Banned fans certainly get in games, I've seen them myself and a poster on the Club survey thread explained how they get tickets for banned fans. The trouble with being a club with a high number of banned fans, the spotters don't know them all.
Sorry but last Friday in response to a post which said that a banned supporter had been able to get a ticket, you seemed to express surprise that this had happened. You made no mention of actually having seen banned fans yourself!

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:42 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:59 pm
The common mistake you are making & what you fail to realise is that 1 person’s account regarding underhand ticket availability is applicable throughout every single game throughout the leagues, it’s a easy enough mistake to make😃
Can you please explain that?
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:21 am

Hard to know if a longer ban may have been appropriate but it's pretty much the perfect way to deal with this sort of thing and the world will be a much better place if other organisations followed suit. A massive well done to BHAFC.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:47 am

Leisure wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:42 pm
Can you please explain that?
Basically to summarise I was kind of agreeing with you regarding some people’s difficulties attending matches whilst banned, another poster raised a post supporting underhand ticket availability circumnavigating usual protocol when purchasing, I can also obtain tickets whenever without problem as I know people, but just because me & another poster have contacts regarding this, doesn’t necessarily mean everybody else is in the same boat & it’s probable that some people will struggle faced with a different set of circumstances, hope this explains it for you,
This user liked this post: Leisure

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:11 am

Leisure wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:40 pm
Sorry but last Friday in response to a post which said that a banned supporter had been able to get a ticket, you seemed to express surprise that this had happened. You made no mention of actually having seen banned fans yourself!
... Surprised that people were going out of their way knowingly buying tickets for banned fans
Mistakenly I thought banned fans were buying off touts, or the away clubs when they sell returned tickets
The point is banned fans get in games.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:59 am

Well deserved. Just seen the tweet. Every team has 'them'.

If it were a player though they'd probably just get a fine.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:57 am

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:11 am
... Surprised that people were going out of their way knowingly buying tickets for banned fans
Mistakenly I thought banned fans were buying off touts, or the away clubs when they sell returned tickets
The point is banned fans get in games.
Are you sure that the ones you're talking about hadn't served their ban and had it lifted? We had 1 such fan who used to travel with us. I know others who are banned but never seen them at a game since they received it. They say that it's just not worth trying it, knowing that the Spotters will be there.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:00 am

Leisure wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:57 am
Are you sure that the ones you're talking about hadn't served their ban and had it lifted? We had 1 such fan who used to travel with us. I know others who are banned but never seen them at a game since they received it. They say that it's just not worth trying it, knowing that the Spotters will be there.
100% know they were banned at the time

100% certain that the Spotters don't recognise every banned fan.. High profile one yes, the majority no.... A beard, cap, scarf etc works wonders

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:20 am

Grumps wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:24 pm
Just because you're banned from Turf Moor whether that's for a period or for life, doesn't meant you cant go to the other 91 football league grounds.

Burnley can ban as many fans as they like from entering Turf Moor, but they cannot stop them going into other grounds across the country.

It's great to see more and more clubs taking these stances, and people really need to be wary of things they say whether in "jest or banter"

People think on here is bad, that twitter seems horrendous, I'm not sure why anyone would go on it. Are there any positives to being on it? If so they seem few and far between

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:49 am

No way am I a big fan of social media but it shouldn't be closed down as mentioned by some posters, it does many good things.
For example, Roma football club openly do missing person reports of people around the world and they have found many people doing this. Marcus Rashford highlighting hunger and child poverty was a massive success. It gives people a platform to follow their passions. Many people write articles for pleasure and can self promote and build a following. Sometimes, this can even bring professional work and career changes, etc. etc.
It needs so much more policing by the companies, which hopefully is the next step to silencing hate comments.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:56 am

MACCA wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:20 am
Just because you're banned from Turf Moor whether that's for a period or for life, doesn't meant you cant go to the other 91 football league grounds.

Burnley can ban as many fans as they like from entering Turf Moor, but they cannot stop them going into other grounds across the country.

It's great to see more and more clubs taking these stances, and people really need to be wary of things they say whether in "jest or banter"

People think on here is bad, that twitter seems horrendous, I'm not sure why anyone would go on it. Are there any positives to being on it? If so they seem few and far between
Your post referred to a person with a 3 year banning order, issued by the courts, which you were more than happy being involved in getting that person tickets for away games

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:52 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:56 am
Your post referred to a person with a 3 year banning order, issued by the courts, which you were more than happy being involved in getting that person tickets for away games
What can I say ban or no ban, people will take risks to attend big games like, reading, Wembley or Chatlton.

Those days are what fans dream of and live for.

Just because supporters clubs or club staff pass those tickets on to those people doesnt mean they will know if that person is or has been banned.
If they get away with it they win, if they dont I'm sure more slaps on the wrists will be distributed.

But like all things if the system is open to be abused or wrongly used, and there's not enough people wanting change, then theyll be no change and the cycle continues.

Dont waste your time worrying about it Grumps

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:01 pm

MACCA wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:52 pm
What can I say ban or no ban, people will take risks to attend big games like, reading, Wembley or Chatlton.

Those days are what fans dream of and live for.

Just because supporters clubs or club staff pass those tickets on to those people doesnt mean they will know if that person is or has been banned.
If they get away with it they win, if they dont I'm sure more slaps on the wrists will be distributed.

But like all things if the system is open to be abused or wrongly used, and there's not enough people wanting change, then theyll be no change and the cycle continues.

Dont waste your time worrying about it Grumps
I was pointing out to Leisure that banned people can get tickets, which he doubted. So not wasting any time thank you.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:28 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:01 pm
I was pointing out to Leisure that banned people can get tickets, which he doubted. So not wasting any time thank you.
I actually didn't comment on whether they could get tickets or not, just that I was surprised that they would risk attending.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:34 pm

Leisure wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:28 pm
I actually didn't comment on whether they could get tickets or not, just that I was surprised that they would risk attending.
I thought you did, must have misunderstood
Leisure wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:54 pm

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:41 pm

Excellent, freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:00 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:34 pm
I thought you did, must have misunderstood
I was referring to the Brighton fan.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:06 pm

Leisure wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:00 pm
I was referring to the Brighton fan.
I replied to the post saying we had fans, who admitted that banned fans got tickets and you said..
Leisure wrote:
The first four words tend to suggest you disagreed with me. Again, sorry if I misunderstood, let's just leave it that banned fans get tickets.