zeppelin raids on Lancashire

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
northeastclaret
Been Liked: 311 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Re: zeppelin raids on Lancashire

Post by northeastclaret » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:29 pm

I read that Hitler deliberately avoided bombing Blackburn because nobody would have known the difference if he had .

timshorts
Been Liked: 414 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:33 pm

northeastclaret wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:29 pm
I read that Hitler deliberately avoided bombing Blackburn because nobody would have known the difference if he had .
There wasn't much point given that cavalry went out of fashion in WW1.

I'm enjoying the reruns of "danger uxb" that is on at the moment. I didn't see them first go round. They chart the various changes of tactics that the Germans used with bomb types, detonators, bombs that were deliberately designed not to go off immediately on impact etc.
This user liked this post: yTib

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2018 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:44 am

British aerospace thought they had been ever so clever hiding their top secret plane manufacturing sight in Clitheroe. Until a photograph recovered at the end of the war showed two German spies not only set in the canteen… but waving for the cameraman.
This user liked this post: Thehistoryteacher

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:58 am

Zeppelin raids over East Lancs may seem absurd but it must be remembered the Lancashire cotton trade had only just started it’s terminal decline then and East Lancs was thriving industrially; with the waterways to Manchester and Liverpool, Rossendale stone and east lancs coal all in high demand.

Thehistoryteacher
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Thehistoryteacher » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:36 am

elwaclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:58 am
Zeppelin raids over East Lancs may seem absurd but it must be remembered the Lancashire cotton trade had only just started it’s terminal decline then and East Lancs was thriving industrially; with the waterways to Manchester and Liverpool, Rossendale stone and east lancs coal all in high demand.
When they returned home the crew of L21 reported that they had successfully bombed …. Derby

They in fact went through the valley to bomb an area of Bolton where I have been known to pontificate about history to this day ….
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:11 am

Mine was discovering how much of our social history was manufactured by the establishment. A perception that only fully dawned studying The Luddites and Peterloo. One question was what about Burnley, Rossendale etc.

So I now know Burnley was late to the industrial Revolution… though many were at the reform meeting the week before in Blackburn, and a demonstration shortly after Peterloo in Burnley led to the first reform hanging in the town. I’m currently working on early Methodism and especially how it was fractured into almost a multi faith religion under one umbrella, and arrived first in Lancashire from Tod and Rossendale then Burnley (especially Nelson and Colne)became some of the very first Methodist communities in the mid 1740’s….

Most people will find it boring but it fascinates me.

Thehistoryteacher

Post by Thehistoryteacher » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:52 am

elwaclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:11 am
Mine was discovering how much of our social history was manufactured by the establishment. A perception that only fully dawned studying The Luddites and Peterloo. One question was what about Burnley, Rossendale etc.

So I now know Burnley was late to the industrial Revolution… though many were at the reform meeting the week before in Blackburn, and a demonstration shortly after Peterloo in Burnley led to the first reform hanging in the town. I’m currently working on early Methodism and especially how it was fractured into almost a multi faith religion under one umbrella, and arrived first in Lancashire from Tod and Rossendale then Burnley (especially Nelson and Colne)became some of the very first Methodist communities in the mid 1740’s….

Most people will find it boring but it fascinates me.
Are you still studying ? Or is this for pleasure ?

I only found out quite recently that the zeppelin bomb dropped one street away from my classroom window - all buried under the new buildings now of course

I’m supposed to be designing a board game at the moment - to be used as a postwar Germany resource I might add !

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:10 pm

Thehistoryteacher wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:52 am

I only found out quite recently that the zeppelin bomb dropped one street away from my classroom window - all buried under the new buildings now of course

I’m supposed to be designing a board game at the moment - to be used as a postwar Germany resource I might add !
No decided three years ago I needed a change so went back to university to pursue my love of history. Currently up in the air from here as COVID pretty much screwed the final year… so I do not yet know my next step… hoping to jump straight into a masters but I’ve also been advised to go straight for my PHD… so really not sure where or what is next. I went straight into the course so was playing catch-up with Academic writing for quite a while… But clearly they see something.
Last edited by elwaclaret on Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:18 pm

Thehistoryteacher wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:52 am

Waddington’s did A board game called Bombscare in the 70’s… it was banned for being in bad taste, but it certainly had a place in getting kids to understand how a air raid worked and the panic it caused.

Maybe you could include the false Halifax. The tale of the night the Luftwaffe bombed it using wooden fake bombs entertained me for hours… some of the WWII deceptions get plenty of coverage… but there is a lot there that needs some good quality research. Good luck with it, would love to see where it goes.

Thehistoryteacher

Post by Thehistoryteacher » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:23 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:10 pm
No decided three years ago I needed a change so went back to university to pursue my love of history. Currently up in the air from here as COVID pretty much screwed the final year… so I do not yet know my next step… hoping to jump straight into a masters but I’ve also been advised to go straight for my PHD… so really not sure where or what is next. I went straight into the course so was playing catch-up with Academic writing for quite a while… But clearly they see something.
Pretty much my path - one summer I decided life was too short so I went off and did my History degree followed by PGCE 14+ .. best thing I've ever done . Our middle son is just finishing year two at Lancaster - he is looking to do a masters up there as he wants to work in the heritage sector but yes the straight into PHD is a good option if you can get a proposal accepted (and better still get some funding).

jamesisaburyfan
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: zepelin raids on Lancashire

Post by jamesisaburyfan » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:05 pm

Andreshotboots wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:25 pm
Zepelin also flew down what is basically the East Lancs railway and dropped at least 1 bomb in Ramsbottom. There's a plaque by a bridge if i remember, not sure if it killed anybody.
Tottington suffered quite badly at the hands of a doodlebug on Christmas Eve 1944 when six people died in a raid.

eastanglianclaret
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by eastanglianclaret » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:15 am

I've really enjoyed following this subject. My father-in-law, who sadly died at the end of last year was a life long 'obsessive' when it came to airships. He was able to recall seeing them fly over Kent when he was a young boy (between wars) and his interest grew from there. He did it, saw it, flew in it, bought the t-shirt so-to-speak when it came to airships. He was often invited to give talks on his passion throughout London and the South East. In his lifetime he built up a collection of over 364 books and countless other mementos on the subject. It was always a challenge for me to find a book that he didn't already own (I think I managed it once and that was more of a pamphlet than a book!) and here's the strange thing....the book mentioned on WEC's initial post/link Zeppelins Over Lancashire is one that my father-in-law doesn't appear to have in the collection!! As we're keen to build on his collection in his memory we'll be looking to buy a copy so thanks to WEC for the initial post.
UTC
EAC

Thehistoryteacher

Post by Thehistoryteacher » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:14 am

Two months after the attack on Lancashire the L21 was shot down over the Yorkshire coast in an encounter that cost Nordholz based pilot Frankenburg and his crew their lives.

Six months prior to the raid Frankenburg had bombed Cleethorpes in an attack that killed 31 men of the 3rd Battalion Manchester Regiment who were billeted on the Lincolnshire coast - one of the comparatively rare incidents whereby a British Army Unit was effectively engaged by the enemy on British soil

ebby
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by ebby » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:58 am

Hi elwaclaret, just reading about your study and possible PhD. If you have the time and an interesting subject then go for it. My story is similar, after doing an apprenticeship at Michelin years ago upon retirement did a history degree, with led to a first in honours and now 8 months into the PhD. My subject is the Italian and German POWs in Australia during WW2. If you want to chat further drop me a line.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 2757 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:44 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:21 am
My grandma used to recall seeing a zepplin(s) over Rossendale during WW1.
Yes and my grandma said that a bomb fell on Cribden. We didn't have the same grandma did we !!! haha

Lets hope the Germans are just as off target tonight.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Thehistoryteacher

Post by Thehistoryteacher » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:17 am

For those who are interested in local history etc

Further to me whittering on about the Zeppelin raid I had a look at the historic os map and identified the bombed houses in Bolton at the opposite end of the street to where I work at present - so in truth probably just five minutes walk. However , right outside my classroom window up until 1936 would have stood Christchurch no less a site than the birthplace of our lower league friends BWFC.