Nick Pope England Record

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Re: Nick Pope England Record

Post by Zlatan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:45 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm
With respect it is utter garbage to suggest that the keeper’s primary job is his only job. Ronaldo wouldn’t get very far with that attitude today as most forwards in world football, with the exception of the very best few, are expected to do more than just score goals.

Do you expect international full backs to be able to join in the attack and provide assists? After all, their primary job is to defend.
when anyone starts a statement using With respect you know they mean exactly the opposite, which is clearly proven by your inability to recognise my statement qualifying that other aspects are (albeit not insignificant I agree)

1st job - keep the ball out of the net - Pope is the better player for that

Secondary aspects of the role include supporting the ball retention and distribution, now here's the thing (I really cant be bothered to find the data, its there on Twitter) but I have seen the stats for England that clearly demonstrate that Pope is also better in that regard too, but the media peddle this unproven belief that Pickford is better. Its probably based on the situations where Pickford plays a risky pass and it comes off (much like the "one for the cameras" saves some keepers used to do).

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:05 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm
With respect it is utter garbage to suggest that the keeper’s primary job is his only job. Ronaldo wouldn’t get very far with that attitude today as most forwards in world football, with the exception of the very best few, are expected to do more than just score goals.

Do you expect international full backs to be able to join in the attack and provide assists? After all, their primary job is to defend.
The FB/WB role has evolved over the years, but any manager worth his salt will always value a clean sheet over an assist.

Should Pope replace Pickford idk, but it's nuts to exclude him purely down to his perceived kicking weakness, if England are going to win the Euro's then a keeper who makes vital saves is more important than one who can play out from the back, and there's still question marks over Pickford's ability in this area also despite what many in the media would have you believe.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3189 times
Has Liked: 1870 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:10 pm

A keeper being able to ping a pass to create a goal isn’t worth much if his mistakes lead to two goals going in
These 3 users liked this post: tiger76 Zlatan Bosscat

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6962 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:14 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:45 pm
when anyone starts a statement using With respect you know they mean exactly the opposite, which is clearly proven by your inability to recognise my statement qualifying that other aspects are (albeit not insignificant I agree)

1st job - keep the ball out of the net - Pope is the better player for that

Secondary aspects of the role include supporting the ball retention and distribution, now here's the thing (I really cant be bothered to find the data, its there on Twitter) but I have seen the stats for England that clearly demonstrate that Pope is also better in that regard too, but the media peddle this unproven belief that Pickford is better. Its probably based on the situations where Pickford plays a risky pass and it comes off (much like the "one for the cameras" saves some keepers used to do).
I used the term ‘with respect’ as I was paraphrasing your term ‘utter garbage’, which without context would have come across quite abrupt. I was being polite, obviously in vain.

Everybody, and I mean literally everybody agrees that a goalkeeper’s main job is to keep the ball out of the net. I don’t know why this argument keeps being peddled as it’s an obvious statement.

This isn’t just about Pickford’s distribution, but his ability to receive the ball from the defenders in tight situations and play it under pressure. Whilst he’s certainly nowhere near as good as the likes of Alison and Ederson on the ball, there’s no doubting he trumps Pope by quite some distance in this department.

So what Southgate has to weigh up is, is it beneficial for England’s goalkeeper, as a very crude example, to save 85/100 shots but lose possession 70/100 times or to save 80/100 shots but lose possession 40/100 times.

Pickford has proven himself to be a very good shot stopper in the past and it is this attribute that made him England’s number one. His form over the past 12-18 months has been very poor and I for one would suggest that the contrasting form of Pope should put him ahead of Pickford in the pecking order. But let’s not attempt to simplify the situation to the degree that the best shot stopper should play regardless because there’s clearly many more facets to a goalkeeper’s game.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:17 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:05 pm
The FB/WB role has evolved over the years, but any manager worth his salt will always value a clean sheet over an assist.

Should Pope replace Pickford idk, but it's nuts to exclude him purely down to his perceived kicking weakness, if England are going to win the Euro's then a keeper who makes vital saves is more important than one who can play out from the back, and there's still question marks over Pickford's ability in this area also despite what many in the media would have you believe.
But it doesn’t have to be an either/or. As a full back who can provide assists may also be capable of keeping clean sheets. Just like a goalkeeper who can kick the ball may also be capable of saving shots. See my response to Zlatan to avoid me repeating my points.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:54 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:14 pm
This isn’t just about Pickford’s distribution, but his ability to receive the ball from the defenders in tight situations and play it under pressure. Whilst he’s certainly nowhere near as good as the likes of Alison and Ederson on the ball, there’s no doubting he trumps Pope by quite some distance in this department.
Then I suppose the question is - Does he?

where's the actual proof of that? If you mean that Pickford can showboat (I refer you to the previously mentioned "one for the cameras" scenario I raised above) then that is not actual proof that Pickford trumps Pope by quite some distance in this department. To me it shows that Pickford is an accident waiting to happen, and it will happen and I cannot fathom why the risk should be taken at all in the first place.

Having a keeper who can play like Hoddle and also keep the ball out of the net would be fantastic, but also unrealistic - if Pickford was half the 'baller people make him out to be he wouldn't have been picked last and ended up in goal (yes I am being facetious now).

Pope is the better goalkeeper without doubt and whilst some aspects of his game can be questioned it does not make them questionable. I'd rather Pope keep things simple like he does, rather than have Pickford trying to be Hoddle and taking risks that can lead to a goal. It's all about opinions, and mine differs from yours - I just prefer clean sheets which will win games when you consider the attacking talent England are meant to have! as opposed to the risk of conceding and having to chase a game as a result of an avoidable error.
This user liked this post: tiger76

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:01 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:54 pm
Then I suppose the question is - Does he?

where's the actual proof of that? If you mean that Pickford can showboat (I refer you to the previously mentioned "one for the cameras" scenario I raised above) then that is not actual proof that Pickford trumps Pope by quite some distance in this department. To me it shows that Pickford is an accident waiting to happen, and it will happen and I cannot fathom why the risk should be taken at all in the first place.

Having a keeper who can play like Hoddle and also keep the ball out of the net would be fantastic, but also unrealistic - if Pickford was half the 'baller people make him out to be he wouldn't have been picked last and ended up in goal (yes I am being facetious now).

Pope is the better goalkeeper without doubt and whilst some aspects of his game can be questioned it does not make them questionable. I'd rather Pope keep things simple like he does, rather than have Pickford trying to be Hoddle and taking risks that can lead to a goal. It's all about opinions, and mine differs from yours - I just prefer clean sheets which will win games when you consider the attacking talent England are meant to have! as opposed to the risk of conceding and having to chase a game as a result of an avoidable error.
The proof that Pickford is better with his feet than Pope is there for all to see. I don’t need to provide statistics to prove that - you just have to watch them both play. It’s not about him playing like Hoddle, it’s about him having composure when the ball is passed back to him in tricky situations with not a lot of time to think.

I don’t think we’re disagreeing about Pope being a better goalkeeper than Pickford, my disagreement is with the suggestion that a goalkeeper’s kicking isn’t a factor to consider. And pretty much all of the world’s top managers seem to side with my opinion on that.

Edit - and this point about conceding goals by playing out from the back totally ignores the fact that a team can concede a goal by losing possession. Likewise, a team can also score a goal by the goalkeeper retaining possession. Why do people have to make such arguments into a case of black and white.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:04 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:10 pm
A keeper being able to ping a pass to create a goal isn’t worth much if his mistakes lead to two goals going in
Likewise a keeper being able to make a number of great saves isn’t going to be worth much if he concedes two goals as a result of slicing kicks out for throw ins. See - I can create a totally simplistic hypothetical too, but like yours it’s really not relevant.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1651 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:09 pm

Those of us who have promoted Pope on this thread would probably all agree that kicking (under pressure) is a factor. We simply feel it isn’t the most important.

Lots of sides, Burnley being one, hunt in packs. Pressing is the new passing is the phrase I think. Even little Albania tried to do that on Sunday - and they nearly got joy more than once against our dodgy defenders.

So I see what Southgate is trying to do, but I simply don’t feel he has the players to do it. Often it’s the defender at fault for playing a bad pass to a keeper, instead of a cleverer pass like City do a lot. With this England defence, that ball needs to get out of Dodge City fast, so to speak. Pickford, Pope, it doesn’t matter - we try this style, we’ll lose at one point in a tournament against a good team.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:12 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:10 pm
Tbf has Pickford made any big errors for England? He's never let Southgate down, hence the reluctance to drop him.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:23 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:12 pm
Tbf has Pickford made any big errors for England?
Yes:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6vie5r

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:49 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:23 pm
Yes:
Good with his feet ? :lol: :lol:

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:57 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:49 pm
Good with his feet ? :lol: :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inQOCkLw6EU

Good with his hands ? :lol: :lol:

bobinho
Been Liked: 4106 times
Has Liked: 6588 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:35 pm

Think we have Pep to thank for all this...

He doesn’t want a goalkeeper, he wants a sweeper with the added bonus of being able to pick the ball up in the area if he needs to. The only time he needs a keeper to be a keeper is when they reach the last four of the ECL.

Works well when you have several really decent players in the rear third of the pitch, England don’t unless the level of opposition is like san marino.

I’d still like the goalkeeper to be really good at stopping the ball going in the net before anything else. If he isn’t good at passing, tell him not to pass it, get it walloped up field and let the technically superior outfield players win the ball back and develop attacks from there.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:32 am

bobinho wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:35 pm
Think we have Pep to thank for all this...

He doesn’t want a goalkeeper, he wants a sweeper with the added bonus of being able to pick the ball up in the area if he needs to. The only time he needs a keeper to be a keeper is when they reach the last four of the ECL.

Works well when you have several really decent players in the rear third of the pitch, England don’t unless the level of opposition is like san marino.

I’d still like the goalkeeper to be really good at stopping the ball going in the net before anything else. If he isn’t good at passing, tell him not to pass it, get it walloped up field and let the technically superior outfield players win the ball back and develop attacks from there.
He's certainly to blame when it comes to passing it about at the back but it's not just that kinda passing that Pope is usually uneasy with. It's his kicking too. Also don't think Pope is a bad sweeper keeper at all, reads the game well and is quick to come forward when needed. Sweeper keepers were a thing long before Guardiola.

It's far more comfortable for him to whack it afar when under pressure and England should allow for that, and accept it's a weakness.

However his accuracy for long kicks is akin to Marion Beresford and we used to have Steve Davis take our goal kicks for him back in the lower leagues... So that tells you how poor it is at this level.

Anyway, the point is, it's not all about short passes to a defender, he's very bad at finding a man with long kicks too. I think everyone knows he's no Ederson but long kicking is very much part of a keepers game and always has been. We'd be a lot worse off without Pope but we'd also see more of the ball if he kicked better because our strikers would be able to get into games more.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:08 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:14 pm
So what Southgate has to weigh up is, is it beneficial for England’s goalkeeper, as a very crude example, to save 85/100 shots but lose possession 70/100 times or to save 80/100 shots but lose possession 40/100 times.
The discrepancy in possession retention would be nothing like that, of course. Pope is perfectly good at passing ten or fifteen yards to an unmarked defender. where Pickford scores is that he is a lot better at taking on the last forward or playing the pinpoint pass only just out of reach of the last forward or passing to a defender who is marked in such a way that only the defender can get there. The risky passes. No doubt at all that Pickford is better at them.

But he isn't perfect, that's the issue. He will still lose possession. He will play the risky pass where Pope would have wellied it upfield, and some of the time he will lose possession - and the cost of losing possession in or around your own penalty box is much higher than losing possession in the opposite half. Losing the ball twice in the other half is better than losing it once in front of your own goal.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:37 pm

some interesting stats on this page

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv ... ague-Stats

I believe it shows that Pope is by far the better defensive keeper of the two (Pope and Pickford), and I think it also shows that Pickford is not massively better than Pope at kicking, in fact it's marginal at best. The only real variance I can see relates to the way we (Burnley) play in that Pope launches more than Pickford (but not much more). It also shows that Pickford is absolutely no where near the 2 "model" keepers for playing it out from the back (Allison and Ederson) who's stats are significantly better than Pickford or Pope, but then they have the defensive players being instructed to play that way by their team managers, so its not surprise.

Some sanitised parts of the data (Inc Henderson too)
Expected.JPG
Expected.JPG (47.74 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
Launched.JPG
Launched.JPG (32.63 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
Passes.JPG
Passes.JPG (40.91 KiB) Viewed 2050 times

bobinho
Been Liked: 4106 times
Has Liked: 6588 times

Post by bobinho » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:38 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:32 am
He's certainly to blame when it comes to passing it about at the back but it's not just that kinda passing that Pope is usually uneasy with. It's his kicking too. Also don't think Pope is a bad sweeper keeper at all, reads the game well and is quick to come forward when needed. Sweeper keepers were a thing long before Guardiola.

It's far more comfortable for him to whack it afar when under pressure and England should allow for that, and accept it's a weakness.

However his accuracy for long kicks is akin to Marion Beresford and we used to have Steve Davis take our goal kicks for him back in the lower leagues... So that tells you how poor it is at this level.

Anyway, the point is, it's not all about short passes to a defender, he's very bad at finding a man with long kicks too. I think everyone knows he's no Ederson but long kicking is very much part of a keepers game and always has been. We'd be a lot worse off without Pope but we'd also see more of the ball if he kicked better because our strikers would be able to get into games more.
I sort of get that, and agree to a point, and maybe if our strikers were a little more mobile, the long kicks which are in the air for a long time might actually reach a claret shirt. Even edersons and Allison’s long kicks aren’t inch perfect, although I agree they are better than Nicks, but like I say, there’s loads of time when the ball is in the air to get to where it’s heading.

He needs work on this aspect of his game for sure, but when you play for Burnley, I suppose the idea is “get rid” and give yourself time to re-org.

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:54 pm

As a fan it can be very uncomfortable watching Pope deal with a ball at his feet under any kind of pressure. If that level of anxiety exists amongst the players (and management) every time he is in a semi tight spot, then I’m afraid Nick Pope is on borrowed time in an England shirt ....you cannot wish that anxiety away and claim kicking is a secondary concern to shot stopping. Hopefully he’s efficiently anonymous or world class today, that’s the best way to gain full confidence.
This user liked this post: Siddo

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:31 pm

Stanbill05 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:54 pm
As a fan it can be very uncomfortable watching Pope deal with a ball at his feet under any kind of pressure. If that level of anxiety exists amongst the players (and management) every time he is in a semi tight spot, then I’m afraid Nick Pope is on borrowed time in an England shirt ....you cannot wish that anxiety away and claim kicking is a secondary concern to shot stopping. Hopefully he’s efficiently anonymous or world class today, that’s the best way to gain full confidence.
you mean like when he does this...? (as posted above)

yeah, me too :roll:

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:44 pm

I’m pretty sure both Pickford and Allison have more “ mistakes ( mainly kicks) leading to goals conceded “ than Pope . While he’s never been great controlling the ball he VERY rarely makes any howlers ,just the odd dodgy “ into crowd “ type clearance . He’s improved with his left no end

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:44 pm

Right boys and girls.............it’s Pope Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Nick..............Clarets everywhere right behind you!!!!!!!

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:38 pm

Another clean sheet at HT, so far so good as far as Nick is concerned.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:03 pm

So Nick Pope's time before conceding was 8hrs 7mins ....

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:20 pm

Let’s be honest this is probably going to be Popes last appearance. He’s looked like a fish out of water in these internationals. Really unfortunate for him but playing out from the back just doesn’t suit him.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:22 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:20 pm
Let’s be honest this is probably going to be Popes last appearance. He’s looked like a fish out of water in these internationals. Really unfortunate for him but playing out from the back just doesn’t suit him.
Maybe, butIf he moved to a bigger club with a more footballing philosophy and got some decent coaching I could still see him getting that #1 shirt in the future

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3111 times
Has Liked: 3829 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:24 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:03 pm
So Nick Pope's time before conceding was 8hrs 7mins ....
Gutted, because with the next three fixtures coming up at home you could easily see him adding another three games of clean sheets. Really annoying.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:25 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:22 pm
Maybe, butIf he moved to a bigger club with a more footballing philosophy and got some decent coaching I could still see him getting that #1 shirt in the future
Or, more likely, it’ll put top six clubs off & mean we can keep him for longer.

That’s fine by me!

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:26 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:25 pm

That’s fine by me!
Me too and probably every other Burnley fan :)

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:27 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:25 pm

That’s fine by me!
I think you are probably right. After watching him in a team that plays out from the back just can’t see any top team wanting him.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:34 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:27 pm
I think you are probably right. After watching him in a team that plays out from the back just can’t see any top team wanting him.
To be honest, if Southgate had anything about him he’d accept that if he’s playing Pope he has to change his style and let him kick it long in those situations.

Otherwise he’s creating a square pegs round holes scenario.

But if it puts off potential suitors, I’ll take it.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:39 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:34 pm
To be honest, if Southgate had anything about him he’d accept that if he’s playing Pope he has to change his style and let him kick it long in those situations.

Otherwise he’s creating a square pegs round holes scenario.

But if it puts off potential suitors, I’ll take it.
I understand what you are saying but for me Southgates main tactic against better teams is beating the press by passing out from the back and counter attacking.
Similar to how we beat Spain the other year.
He wouldn’t be able to use that tactic if Pope plays.

Like you said it will probably work out really well for us in the fact that all the best teams also use this tactic.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:42 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:39 pm
I understand what you are saying but for me Southgates main tactic against better teams is beating the press by passing out from the back and counter attacking.
Similar to how we beat Spain the other year.
He wouldn’t be able to use that tactic if Pope plays.

Like you said it will probably work out really well for us in the fact that all the best teams also use this tactic.
That performance against Spain set the bar really high. High tempo fearless attacking - beating one of the best at their own game. We’ve massively regressed since.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:44 pm

Well at least tonight puts to bed any ideas that Pope will replace Pickford at the Euros. I think the patriotic thing to do now is to get right behind Pickford and hope he finishes the season strong and goes into the tournament full of confidence.

Cant wait for the Euros as whilst we are not one of the top 4 we are definitely in with a real chance

Guppyspotter
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Guppyspotter » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:48 pm

And the pundits on ITV are trying to blame Pope for playing out to Stones. Evidently giving Stones the ball with 5 seconds to do something with it isn't long enough.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:50 pm

Guppyspotter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:48 pm
And the pundits on ITV are trying to blame Pope for playing out to Stones. Evidently giving Stones the ball with 5 seconds to do something with it isn't long enough.
I said it on the other thread. Popes poor distribution is one of the reasons that goal happened.

Poor pass about 15 yards behind stones. Stones should have dealt with it but in reality he shouldn’t have been in that position

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:59 pm

Guppyspotter wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:48 pm
Roy Keane didn't he laid the blame squarely at Stones feet, and let's remember this isn't the first clanger John Stones has dropped for club or country, and Pope wasn't playing in those games was he.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:07 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:09 pm
So I see what Southgate is trying to do, but I simply don’t feel he has the players to do it. Often it’s the defender at fault for playing a bad pass to a keeper, instead of a cleverer pass like City do a lot. With this England defence, that ball needs to get out of Dodge City fast, so to speak. Pickford, Pope, it doesn’t matter - we try this style, we’ll lose at one point in a tournament against a good team.
I made this quote earlier up this thread and didn’t expect to be proven right so quickly.

Pope’s kicking will guarantee Pickford starts (though his Burnley kicking isn’t as bad as his England kicking). Regardless though, this back four aren’t good enough to play this way. They have to launch it, but with just Kane and midgets up front, that loses possession.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:12 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:07 pm
I made this quote earlier up this thread and didn’t expect to be proven right so quickly.

Pope’s kicking will guarantee Pickford starts (though his Burnley kicking isn’t as bad as his England kicking). Regardless though, this back four aren’t good enough to play this way. They have to launch it, but with just Kane and midgets up front, that loses possession.
I don’t agree, can’t think of many better back fours at the Euros. If them lads can’t play out from the back not many other teams will be able to.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:15 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:44 pm
Well at least tonight puts to bed any ideas that Pope will replace Pickford at the Euros. I think the patriotic thing to do now is to get right behind Pickford and hope he finishes the season strong and goes into the tournament full of confidence.

Cant wait for the Euros as whilst we are not one of the top 4 we are definitely in with a real chance
Pickford if fit will start in the Euro's, but even being patriotic I can't see this England squad getting further than the last 4, and given the much tougher draw than 2018 even that might be beyond them alas.

I just hope we experience a feast of football this summer, and also plenty of goals and drama, and hopefully some fans will be in attendance, it will feel somewhat hollow without crowds.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:19 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:15 pm
Pickford if fit will start in the Euro's, but even being patriotic I can't see this England squad getting further than the last 4, and given the much tougher draw than 2018 even that might be beyond them alas.

I just hope we experience a feast of football this summer, and also plenty of goals and drama, and hopefully some fans will be in attendance, it will feel somewhat hollow without crowds.
Last 8 will be par for the course with last 4 being a very good tournament but as Burnley fans know too well you've got to dare to dream

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:23 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:12 pm
I don’t agree, can’t think of many better back fours at the Euros. If them lads can’t play out from the back not many other teams will be able to.
Maguire good at long passes, but looks panicky at short passes - some of those to Pope as well as to his defenders put them in all kinds of trouble, against Albania too. Stones less so, but goes to sleep often.

I suspect the problem is that every player has a level of confidence of when to launch and when to play a nice pass out. Southgate will tell them to do it in situations where for their clubs they would choose to launch it (even City who play more long balls than people think). That’s how it seems to me.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:35 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:23 pm
Maguire good at long passes, but looks panicky at short passes - some of those to Pope as well as to his defenders put them in all kinds of trouble, against Albania too. Stones less so, but goes to sleep often.

I suspect the problem is that every player has a level of confidence of when to launch and when to play a nice pass out. Southgate will tell them to do it in situations where for their clubs they would choose to launch it (even City who play more long balls than people think). That’s how it seems to me.
To be fair crosspools they are seasons pros at playing out from the back. Not sure how you can say they are poor. Not many other defences better than them 4.
This user liked this post: Siddo

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:37 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:19 pm
Last 8 will be par for the course with last 4 being a very good tournament but as Burnley fans know too well you've got to dare to dream
I think this is part of the problem for England in major tournaments, there is far too much hype from the tabloid press, and the reality is England's overall record doesn't justify all the hype, is it 4 semi-finals in what 70 years, and 2 of those came on home soil,

Of course we'd all like England to do well this summer, but I don't expect miracles, and there's still plenty of areas were England have weaknesses, and the deeper you progress in a tournament the more the better teams will take advantage of any such weaknesses, hence why I don't get excited anymore once the big tournaments roll around, I just take it as a chance to witness some cracking footy, and the best players in Europe showcasing their skills, that way I'm not disappointed if and when England are ultimately eliminated.

I've been a vocal critic of Southgate, but if he can reach the last 4 again that'll prove 2018 wasn't the flash in the pan many thought, and it'll set this youthful England side up for the 2022 WC in Qatar, when hopefully many of the current squad will be reaching their peak.
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:50 pm

The comms in the three games have been obsessed with Pope’s kicking (it’s moved on from passing) and mentioned it every time he touched it.....nobody would have noticed an issue if it wasn’t in every rag with every rent a gob piling in to agree. Clowns like Wright a perfect example.

I’ve seen Pickford drop some absolute clangers with his feet, kick many a ball out of play and all that on the top of not being that great at keeping the ball out of the net. It’s agenda driven nonsense. I know, in fact we all know, that Pickford like Hart before him will let England down eventually after everyone has been pointing out his failings for years.

All that said, Pope is better off away from it as the pundits are literally willing him to fail.
Last edited by arise_sir_charge on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigvince
Been Liked: 937 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:51 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:37 pm
I think this is part of the problem for England in major tournaments, there is far too much hype from the tabloid press, and the reality is England's overall record doesn't justify all the hype, is it 4 semi-finals in what 70 years, and 2 of those came on home soil
I agree, the commentator tonight referred to England as one of the best teams in the world!

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:30 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:50 pm
I said it on the other thread. Popes poor distribution is one of the reasons that goal happened.

Poor pass about 15 yards behind stones. Stones should have dealt with it but in reality he shouldn’t have been in that position
You mean Stones only had time for three touches to get the ball under control, so the ball should have been played nearer to the forward to give him less time?
These 2 users liked this post: mkmel Zlatan

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:38 am

I wonder when this idea that keepers should always play the ball short to a defender will get put where it belongs? It's a tactical mistake. Yes, sometimes it comes off and sometimes it doesn't get punished. How many times this season has a Premier League team conceded a goal that started out as the keeper passing out from the back?

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:07 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:38 am
I wonder when this idea that keepers should always play the ball short to a defender will get put where it belongs? It's a tactical mistake.
You reckon Pep has got it all wrong then?

The fact is that last night we saw that Pope looks like a fish out of water trying to play out from the back and he will now move rapidly move down the pecking order as it’s obvious that the Pickford style goalies will be in vogue.

Southgate very pointedly commented that Pope’s pass put Stones in some difficulty, so it’s not just pundits who have noted his deficiency in this aspect of the game.

I love Nick Pope I think he is the best goalie I have ever seen play for Burnley but let’s keep him away from the England set up from now on or risk destroying his confidence.

Dinks
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 127 times

Post by Dinks » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:12 am

Can anyone give me Pope's final England stats as after last night's suicidal pass to John Stones he will never play for England again!😉