“A blatant power grab” – Fans criticise own clubs on UCL plans

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Re: “A blatant power grab” – Fans criticise own clubs on UCL plans

Post by NewClaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:51 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:43 am
The Premier League is marketed globally by Sky and other TV partners as the "best most competitive league in world football"

The product will be greatly diluted if the 6 clubs are kicked out making it far less attractive to sell overseas, meaning a huge drop in revenue for Sky and less money available to clubs remaining and playing in the PL.

How important is TV revenue to the new owners of Burnley?
Very, I dare say. Which highlights another wrong - clubs shouldn’t be bought with debt.

Sky should come out and publicly support the PL and commit to it. The Super League will form their own channels / subscriber base anyway. So Sky’s best chance of maintaining status quo is to help ensure this never gets off the ground in my opinion.
This user liked this post: Top Claret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:53 am

Spijed wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:46 am
Chris Williams
@Chris78Williams
·
1h
Speaking to people in UEFA this morning there is a genuine want for the 12 to be immediately dismissed from all UEFA club competitions - and for Real, Barcelona, AC Milan and Liverpool to be stripped of their badges of honour. Suffice to say there are a lot of angry people there.

They should do the same with any players as well.
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 977 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:57 am

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:51 am
Very, I dare say. Which highlights another wrong - clubs shouldn’t be bought with debt.

Sky should come out and publicly support the PL and commit to it. The Super League will form their own channels / subscriber base anyway. So Sky’s best chance of maintaining status quo is to help ensure this never gets off the ground in my opinion.
Perhaps some clues in your post as to why the pundits working for Sky are so vociferous in their condemnation of the new Super League.

Or, is that me just being too cynical? :P

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:00 am

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:29 am
We’ll soon see where Marcus “man of the people” Rashford morals lie now.
Dont get me wrong, I do think Marcus Rashford is a good lad and a fine example of a human being. What he has achieved in regards to school meals is commendable. I also think that money talks

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:01 am

Kick them out, promote the top 6 from the Championship

Job done. Greedy bastards, get out of our league
These 3 users liked this post: NewClaret randomclaret2 simonclaret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:01 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:57 am
Perhaps some clues in your post as to why the pundits working for Sky are so vociferous in their condemnation of the new Super League.

Or, is that me just being too cynical? :P
No, think you’re spot on.

I think all broadcasters should come out & tell them they’re on their own. The key issue here is that they will need the PL/TV companies while they “transition” to this new league, so they should all royally screw them over now before they get themselves organised. This needs a “shock and awe” response.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:04 am

Zlatan wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:00 am
Dont get me wrong, I do think Marcus Rashford is a good lad and a fine example of a human being. What he has achieved in regards to school meals is commendable. I also think that money talks
I agree. Nice bloke. Let’s see what he’s made of now.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:25 am

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:04 am
I agree. Nice bloke. Let’s see what he’s made of now.
Why does Marcus Rashford have any responsibility to show ‘what he’s made of now’? This has nothing to do with his school meals campaign.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

HB Claret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:26 am

Surely there is a mistake in the list - can’t see the world’s biggest club Leeds listed ?

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2757 times
Has Liked: 4324 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:31 am

HB Claret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:26 am
Surely there is a mistake in the list - can’t see the world’s biggest club Leeds listed ?
They will surely be one of the additional 3 clubs yet to be announced 😉

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:35 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:31 am
They will surely be one of the additional 3 clubs yet to be announced 😉

I have hunch that Everton and Leicester may also be "invited" to join.

If the Saudi takeover of Newcastle had been given the green light they would also be in the mix.

Commy
Been Liked: 464 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:37 am

Where are they going to sign players from? Clubs could treble their asking prices if any of those teams came knocking.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 am

Just heard that the “bigger teams” in the league will get £310m. The smaller teams £89m. No idea where Spurs or Arsenal sit on that scale!

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 852 times
Has Liked: 1096 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:43 am

If BFC were part of this I would be supporting a newly formed AFC Burnley or whatever it would be called at the bottom rung of the ladder out of principle.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:44 am

ive not got time to read all the posts on this thread but my view is that this unfortunately has got to be the next step to keep things evolving.

Im sure in 10 years time people will say how successful it has been and will be encouraging a world super league.

With regards to these teams who set up this league i for one would hope that they are stripped of their rights to play in their domestic leagues. You cant have it both ways.

EricaJacko
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Re: European Super League

Post by EricaJacko » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:44 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:21 pm
If Fifa and Uefa ban players from competing for their countries, would there be many players who opt out of their clubs, or would the money just be too good.
I'm not convinced players are that bothered about representing their country, with the number of players who break their toenail whenever International games come up. Money will be more rewarding for them, so doubt that will be an obstacle.

EricaJacko
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by EricaJacko » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:47 am

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:01 am
Kick them out, promote the top 6 from the Championship

Job done. Greedy bastards, get out of our league
The overall appeal of the Premier League worldwide would surely drop though, and so less of an income for Burnley for TV rights. I doubt Sky would want to pay the same amounts without those 6 teams playing each weekend.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:50 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:59 am
I'd rather the PL have them play at 8pm on a Tuesday night, Super league on a Weds, then a 8pm kick off on a Thursday, 3pm on a Saturday - rinse and repeat
All this would do is make the domestic league what the FA Cup is to Dyche, for example. The consequence though is that these clubs could probably still field competitive sides given their power in Academies bringing enough players through and buying decent 'B' teams. There are already many of them around Europe, albeit at lower levels at the moment, but it won't take much with their increased wealth to make them more competitive. It may make the league more competitive but the quality will be inferior with all the fans waiting in anticipation & subscribing to the 'elite' league.
Let's see what SKY, BBC, do once it is confirmed it's going ahead! Then we'll see the real truth in people. All these pundits blasting it will still be there picking up a more than good wage spouting out their disgust at it, and then comment on the game's incidents. They've all been following the top club dominance with pleasure being on the gravy train for so long- Apart from the sporting integrity issues there isn't much difference to this new plan than what's already happened. The Champions League, Europa places have been rigged for years to get the top clubs in through increasing places to 4 in most top leagues, making sure the lower ranked countries have to go through ridiculous qualifying stages to get through, ranking points, etc.

In the end, this whole saga is just another sign of 'elitism' that in the end everyone wants and craves for.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:55 am

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:29 am
We’ll soon see where Marcus “man of the people” Rashford morals lie now.
How the f*** are you using this to dig out Rashford for actually doing good things in the world? What a very poor take.
These 7 users liked this post: taio ŽižkovClaret claretcarrot93 simonclaret Vegas Claret CombatClaret DCWat

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:55 am

Some daft opinions on here.

Marcus Rashford? School Meals? Eh?

Taking honours off players? Please explain how that makes sense?

I’m with Gary Neville on this. This isn’t about money. The clubs decision to leave will be of course. But it’s more than that. It’s about the integrity of european football. The football pyramid, not a nonsense closed shop. How can you then take honours off footballers/ex footballers because a decision has been made by owners of a club(s) that they play or played for? How can anyone make a stand for the integrity of the sport when you call for players honours to be removed? I’ve read a lot about this “footballs gone”, “Finished” etc etc, but it’s fine to take Paul Scholes medals off him, Lionel Messi goalscoring record gone. What absolute nonsense. That would make more of a mockery out of football than this Super League would.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:59 am

Now we know why Garlick was so desperate to sell he could see this coming, and you can't blame him.

The broadcasters won't be interested in the Premier league if this goes ahead and it will, and with the revenue streams shrinking so will the value of our club.

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:05 am

The knowledge that Spurs will still "qualify" for European competition regardless of the result in the Carabao Cup Final next weekend dilutes the interest in that competition also.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:06 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:55 am
How the f*** are you using this to dig out Rashford for actually doing good things in the world? What a very poor take.
As you suggest a truly baffling thing bringing Rashford into this. There must be thousands of other points that are more relevant than the good Rashford has done over school meals. Bizarre to say the least.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:11 am

EricaJacko wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:47 am
The overall appeal of the Premier League worldwide would surely drop though, and so less of an income for Burnley for TV rights. I doubt Sky would want to pay the same amounts without those 6 teams playing each weekend.
I think it’s going to drop anyway. Basically they’re creating a “closed shop” higher league that sits above all European competitions. Will a Manchester Derby be the same again with 4 guaranteed per year? You’d assume players would be rested for PL games? And the FA cup further deprioritised.

Basically these clubs are biting off the arm of the hand that’s fed them (well) over all these years. For what? Greed.

The annoying thing is that this appears to have been led by Madrid. They, like Barca, are in mountains of debt. They’re desperate. If the six PL clubs had held firm & said no, both would likely have crumbled from the super powers they were, allowing the PL to become the defacto best league in the world. But they’ve stupidly followed the Madrid-led power play.

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:17 am

pushpinpussy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:44 am
ive not got time to read all the posts on this thread but my view is that this unfortunately has got to be the next step to keep things evolving.

Im sure in 10 years time people will say how successful it has been and will be encouraging a world super league.

With regards to these teams who set up this league i for one would hope that they are stripped of their rights to play in their domestic leagues. You cant have it both ways.
And then where does the evolution take us? Mars vs Earth league? A universe league?

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:19 am

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:11 am
I think it’s going to drop anyway. Basically they’re creating a “closed shop” higher league that sits above all European competitions. Will a Manchester Derby be the same again with 4 guaranteed per year? You’d assume players would be rested for PL games? And the FA cup further deprioritised.

Basically these clubs are biting off the arm of the hand that’s fed them (well) over all these years. For what? Greed.

The annoying thing is that this appears to have been led by Madrid. They, like Barca, are in mountains of debt. They’re desperate. If the six PL clubs had held firm & said no, both would likely have crumbled from the super powers they were, allowing the PL to become the defacto best league in the world. But they’ve stupidly followed the Madrid-led power play.
Agree with much of that. As I posted earlier 4 Manchester and London derbies guaranteed each year dilutes the product being offered making it less appealing to fans and broadcasters alike. Would not be surprised to see Everton added to the list of 6.

The appeal of Burnley being in the PL stems much from the fact that the biggest clubs and best players are now coming to compete at Turf Moor. Expel the top 6 clubs and that experience is diminished for many clarets fans also.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:20 am

taio wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:06 am
As you suggest a truly baffling thing bringing Rashford into this. There must be thousands of other points that are more relevant than the good Rashford has done over school meals. Bizarre to say the least.
I have nothing against Rashford. I think he’s used his position well and done some fantastic work. I think other players would do well to be much more like him.

My point was more that he’s positioned himself as a man of the people that speaks out against injustices. But he’s done it in areas outside of football. It remains to be seen if he is so outspoken about a topic that directly impacts the future of football, his game, our national sport, and something that would have a direct financial benefit for himself.

If he doesn’t, I won’t respect him less for what he’s done, but I would respect him more if he does. All players should though, not just him.

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:26 am

EricaJacko wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:47 am
Good. Hopefully, it means average players will finally get back to having average wages. In the end, less money for clubs means less money for wages, which will hopefully mean less clubs on the brink. It might bring things back to a more level playing field. Inferior in quality but competitive on the field. We've had it lucky having Dyche as manager, we've had a grounded, hard-working team whose pride in its profession has more often than not been displayed on the field, as well as success. We haven't lost that working class footballing spirit despite being at the top table; many other clubs haven't had the same luck. This breakaway might just take some of the money away but bring football back to a bit of reality.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:31 am

taio wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:06 am
Zlatan wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:25 am
“Marcus, here’s another £800k/week to feed the school kids you care about so much”

“Oh, ok thanks”
Important to remember context, here’s my tongue in cheek response which prompted further responses, no need to go all self righteous on behalf of Marcus, we all know he’s a good lad as I also stated after this post

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:32 am

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:36 am

Zlatan wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:31 am
Important to remember context, here’s my tongue in cheek response which prompted further responses, no need to go all self righteous on behalf of Marcus, we all know he’s a good lad as I also stated after this post
I'm sure Marcus's media team are working on this right now and will tell him what he thinks in due course.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:36 am

Zlatan wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:31 am
As did I.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:40 am

Simon Jordan on talk sport seems pritty confident that this won't happen. Jordan reckons that the big clubs are using it as leverage to secure a bigger pot of the broadcasting revenues, he has a good point.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:42 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:19 am
Agree with much of that. As I posted earlier 4 Manchester and London derbies guaranteed each year dilutes the product being offered making it less appealing to fans and broadcasters alike. Would not be surprised to see Everton added to the list of 6.

The appeal of Burnley being in the PL stems much from the fact that the biggest clubs and best players are now coming to compete at Turf Moor. Expel the top 6 clubs and that experience is diminished for many clarets fans also.
Rangers and Celtic play each other 4 times a year and they are the most watched matches and generate worldwide interest. Let us not kid ourselves that Man Utd play Barca four times a year in a Super league will generate a larger worldwide TV audience than Man U v Burnley, Man U v Newcastle, Man U v Everton and Man U v Liverpool in a domestic league.

I have heard many fans over the last few years saying about the big clubs “I wish they would just go off and form their own European league as it will bring back competition to the domestic league “ and now they are proposing it that is not being said now.

giveusaB
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by giveusaB » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:44 am

The six who are leaving were the six who finished above us in 2017/18 season so strip their final places off them.Burnley fc premier league champions 2017/18. :D

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1406 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:46 am

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:20 am
I have nothing against Rashford...

...It remains to be seen if he is so outspoken about a topic that directly impacts the future of football, his game, our national sport, and something that would have a direct financial benefit for himself.
What choice will he, or indeed any of the players have? In the short term they're contracted to play for ManU, Barca, Chelsea, whoever and I doubt that their contracts offer a choice as to which leagues/competitions they will be playing in; as those contracts expire they'll have a choice, but just as now, the players - like the rest of the working population - will to a large extent ply their trade for whomever offers them them the best wages.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:50 am

The EPL won't be kicking out the 'big 6 clubs'. It would be suicidal. Those left behind would be stuck with long term deals for expensive players, like the collapse of the ITV deal. Whether we like it or not - the 'big 6 clubs' are the ones with the broadcasting value. They make up very nearly half of the matches currently broadcast in the EPL. Kicking them out would be like setting your possessions on fire and then complaining about their drop in value. The 'big 6 clubs' hold all the cards, not the EPL.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3595 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:54 am

Kick them out, keep them out forever.

I don't care about our loss of revenue, this league will be competitive and interesting and we will be well rid.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3078 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

A message for Alan Pace

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:56 am

As a long standing fan of the club, and football in general, the news this weekend of a power grab by the top 6 clubs in this country is sickening. I choose the word very carefully, sickening is how any football fan would feel, when he's sees the game that we have known for 140 years threatened by greedy foreign businessmen.
As a new arrival from abroad, you too could be classed as a foreign businessman, and it is essential that you understand the very real danger the greed of these people places on the football pyramid, smaller clubs, and even Burnley should we face relegation. We've been there, faced extinction and crawled our way back on the field of play, as it should be. All fans want is a level playing field. For the last 15 years the top 4, and now top 6, have sought to take more and more money unto themselves. Despite all these benefits they still can't improve their games anymore than as of today. In a calendar year where we have won away to Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd, where the 12 richest clubs in the world, who also carry more debt than the rest of the top 200 clubs in Europe added together, is it right they seek even more money. To squander even larger sums on players not worthy of the fees. On wages far greater than any individual requires, and yet still fail to be successful. The closed shop of this league disregarding qualification or relegation based on merit, highlights the single purpose of said league. To make money.
It doesn't further football in any way, even their own fans don't want it.
As the present custodian of Burnley Foorball Club, you will have a say and a vote on how this breakaway evolves. As a committed fan I pray you listen to the voices of football fans everywhere, not just here in Burnley, and argue against it. If those teams then choose to quit the Premier League, good luck to them. What is left behind will be far better for them going. Ask most Burnley fans and they will tell you that the football in the championship is far more interesting and entertaining than the Prem. Without the big 6 the Premier League would thrive and be an even better competition, a competition that would generate far more interest than the stale competition we witness year in, year out, at the present.

Having been a locally run club throughout our history, don't let that history die by supporting this needless, greedy gazumping of our glorious game. We have put a lot of faith in you, please don't let us down at this first hurdle.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Re: A message for Alan Pace

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:57 am

Stop your messing around;
Better think of your future,
Time to straighten right out,
Creating problems in town.
Pacey,
A message to you, Pacey.
A message to you.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:59 am

Top Claret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:40 am
Simon Jordan on talk sport seems pritty confident that this won't happen. Jordan reckons that the big clubs are using it as leverage to secure a bigger pot of the broadcasting revenues, he has a good point.
Would the clubs take the trouble to resign from the European Club Association if it's not happening though?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -role.html

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:59 am

I have a number of thoughts about this. It’s hard to process them all because it’s all fermenting at the minute. However ....

1. This deal will not make players better. Footballers will not improve, nor will more newer footballers be generated. And they can only pick 11 at any one time. The way I see it this just means more average footballers get higher wages.

2. You might think that means good news for agents. Not necessarily. If you’ve got a top player at a franchise club you’re less likely to sell them to another franchise club. So the tens of millions Raoila made selling Pogba to United and he hopes to make with Haaland may not happen as much now.

3. If I were a broadcaster who had spent big money on Champions League packages I would be fuming. That competition is now worthless.

4. Ditto a sponsor for that competition. Your money is dead - they’d be well within their rights to cancel contracts I’d say.

5. The real way this can be stopped is the players. They hold all the power. If they turn round and criticise it or say they won’t play in it what will the clubs do? If Mbappe turns round and says this competition is a joke and he won’t play in it ..... what are PSG going to do? They won’t sell him - they need him as a player. Ditto Rashford, Fati at Barca, Koke at Atleti, Mount at Chelsea, Foden at City ..... and so on. Real shame we don’t have an effective and worthwhile PFA in this country at this time.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:00 am

Vizeh tries really hard to put into words what football means to him, and a lot of what he says echoes with me too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehPWGRER1gA

Conroy92
Been Liked: 501 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:02 am

It would be nice to know where he sits. Various media reports suggesting that the American owners of clubs are pushing this. Could we be the nation's underdog in the ESL....

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:02 am

If these clubs didn’t play in the PL would it affect the player’s contract and registration? Players claim it’s an implied (if it’s not explicit) term of their contract that they are playing in a sanctioned competition etc making them eligible for international selection. Contact is void, free transfers all round!

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:03 am

Or to be less politically correct -

**** THE EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:04 am

bananaman.JPG
bananaman.JPG (25.61 KiB) Viewed 1666 times

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:05 am

Dy1geo wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:42 am
Rangers and Celtic play each other 4 times a year and they are the most watched matches and generate worldwide interest. Let us not kid ourselves that Man Utd play Barca four times a year in a Super league will generate a larger worldwide TV audience than Man U v Burnley, Man U v Newcastle, Man U v Everton and Man U v Liverpool in a domestic league.

I have heard many fans over the last few years saying about the big clubs “I wish they would just go off and form their own European league as it will bring back competition to the domestic league “ and now they are proposing it that is not being said now.
But that is exactly what many posters on this topic are asking for. A post just before this one says "Kick them out, Keep them out for ever"

But the Big Six want to have their cake and eat it by remaining in the domestic league.

The owners of these clubs are clearly more interested in the "worldwide" than in the "domestic" audience.

Would Liverpool fans rather play Barca 4 times and Everton not at all?

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1406 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:05 am

Top Claret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:40 am
That makes sense and they'll probably get it too: The money supporting the upper echelons of football relies overwhelmingly on its advertising/marketing value and that dictates what the broadcasters can and will pay for the product; whether grass roots supporters like it or not, the reality is that the global value of a game (even a friendly match!) between two of those sixteen clubs is several times more than that of a game between one of them and Burnley and tens of times more than the value of a game between Burnley and any of the other lower level EPL clubs. Our 'value' is as part of the Premier league package, take the big-6 clubs out of that package and the value of the remainder plus six replacements from the Championship, would drop by 75% and perhaps more.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2757 times
Has Liked: 4324 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:08 am

Well said... have you sent the message directly to Mr Pace ?