" Strange facts " ....

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

" Strange facts " ....

Post by Clarets4me » Sun May 02, 2021 3:29 pm

1) Claude Francois, the original composer of the song " My Way ", died after electrocuting himself whilst trying to change a light bulb whilst standing up in his half-filled bath ...

2) The Hollywood Film Legend, Gary Cooper, famous for " High Noon ", was actually educated at Dunstable Grammar School near Luton ...

3) Barry Mason, writer of both " Delilah " and " The last Waltz ", was born in Coppell, near Wigan. His mother was Lancashire's most pre-eminent female Stock Car driver ...

4) Declan McManus ( aka Elvis Costello ) sang backing vocals on the R.Whites TV advert song, " I'm a secret Lemonade drinker ". His father, Ross McManus sang the lead vocals ..

5) Whitney Houston's mother, Cissie Houston, was part of Elvis Presley's backing group for his first five week engagement at the International Hotel ( later the Las Vegas Hilton ) in 1969 ...

6) The late Roy Jenkins, Labour and SDP politician, worked as a " codebreaker " at Bletchley Park during World War II ...

7) Arnold Ridley, " Private Godfrey " in " Dad's Army ", was severely wounded at the Battle of the Somme in 1916. His left hand was paralysed for the rest of his life, his legs were peppered with shrapnel, he received a bayonet wound in the groin and was clubbed unconscious by a German soldier during hand to hand fighting, from which he subsequently suffered lifelong headaches. In 1939, at the age of 44, he joined up again, and as a 2nd Lieutenant served in France with the BEF .... " different gravy " that generation !!

8) Buster Merryfield, who played Uncle Albert in " Only Fools and Horses " only actually became a professional actor at the age of 57. Prior to taking early retirement, he was Bank Manager of the Nat-West branch at Thames Ditton, Surrey ....