Summer 2021 Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:26 am

Is he linked?

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:33 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:26 am
Is he linked?
No but journalists are saying that arsenal have made him available for that price.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:43 am

If its on availability, then we know that previous targets Harry Wilson, Fabian Delph and John Jo Kenny have all been made available for transfer.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:44 am

Was Wilson really a target?

I thought that he wasn’t an option of Dyche’s choosing.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:46 am

CM RM ST RB the positions to strengthen, tick tock

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:48 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:59 am
Anyone fancy Willock at 20m?

Thought he looked good for Newcastle
One of the shrewdest signings of last season by Newcastle-probably earned them half a dozen points in the short time he was there. A steal at £20m in todays market

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:49 am

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:46 am
Plus a back up winger

leightonjameslegend
Been Liked: 104 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by leightonjameslegend » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:18 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:46 am
RB - Lowton, Bardsley and now Collins who can play there so no need for this season
RM & LM Think will happen with the number of links
CM - Can't see it in this Window
ST - Again unless someone is leaving can't see it

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:38 pm

leightonjameslegend wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:18 pm
RB - Lowton, Bardsley and now Collins who can play there so no need for this season
I think if the above is the case then 17th is the best we can hope for this season.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:38 pm

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:18 pm
We are weak in central midfield despite good on numbers.

We have 4 strikers, Wood will miss games with International duty. Barnes and Rodriguez aren't good enough and both are prone to injury. Vydra has done well in short spells, is he the long term answer though? I'm not convinced he's clinical enough.

I haven't seen Bardsley play in a long while, Lowton had a really good short spell last season when he was the best player on the pitch 3 or 4 games in a row, Lowton's delivery holds him and us back.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:48 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:33 am
No but journalists are saying that arsenal have made him available for that price.
He'd be an absolute bargain at that price, especially as Harry Winks is possibly available at £25 million.

Arsenal are off their heads if they let him leave for that low price.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:53 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:48 pm
He'd be an absolute bargain at that price, especially as Harry Winks is possibly available at £25 million.

Arsenal are off their heads if they let him leave for that low price.
Could be a release clause is in the contract at that set amount & it’s been triggered.

leightonjameslegend
Been Liked: 104 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by leightonjameslegend » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:05 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:38 pm

We have 4 strikers, Wood will miss games with International duty. Barnes and Rodriguez aren't good enough and both are prone to injury. Vydra has done well in short spells, is he the long term answer though? I'm not convinced he's clinical enough.

I haven't seen Bardsley play in a long while, Lowton had a really good short spell last season when he was the best player on the pitch 3 or 4 games in a row, Lowton's delivery holds him and us back.
Agree just think we can't fix all our issues in one window. If Tarks stays he may well play Collins at RB as he paid most of last season in that position.
We are desperate for a Left/Right Winger Midfield and I think we will get that sorted.
CM I honestly like Brownhill and think we could scrape by for one more season with him, Westwood, and Cork.
As for Strikers, I agree but just don't think we have the funds to get something special or different upfront. With better service, I think they can again do a season.
Just my opinion but I think if we end up with Collins, Hennessey and 1 RM and 1 LM it's been a good window presuming nobody leaves. Think we have to solve CM, ST, and RB the following season, hopefully in the Prem.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:10 pm

Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:05 pm
Agree just think we can't fix all our issues in one window. If Tarks stays he may well play Collins at RB as he paid most of last season in that position.
We are desperate for a Left/Right Winger Midfield and I think we will get that sorted.
CM I honestly like Brownhill and think we could scrape by for one more season with him, Westwood, and Cork.
As for Strikers, I agree but just don't think we have the funds to get something special or different upfront. With better service, I think they can again do a season.
Just my opinion but I think if we end up with Collins, Hennessey and 1 RM and 1 LM it's been a good window presuming nobody leaves. Think we have to solve CM, ST, and RB the following season, hopefully in the Prem.
Hard to disagree with any of that really.The club's inactivity over successive transfer windows will take more than one to fix and theres no sign of the new regime having the sort of funds needed to replace many of our ageing journeymen who we can get another season out of.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:19 pm

We've got 4 senior central midfielders. Yes, I know one is the maligned Dale Stephens but it's probably only fair to see how he gets on after a full pre-season. Equally the writing of Cork into history is a little premature given he's had one injury disrupted season.

But in any event, given the general consensus is that we need, and will hopefully sign, two wide players (Dyche himself has highlighted the need to be more effective in creating chances, so from that and the links we can be confident the club aren't complacent about this), then that may itself present options that supplement the central midfield pool. One of those wide players might be able to play in the middle equally well.

Indeed, there's absolutely no reason why McNeil couldn't operate in a 3 (indeed, if we were to sign someoe like Cornet, that might be the plan), or even in a 2 given he's diligent defensively, able to keep the ball in tight spaces and one of the features of his development last season was an increasing tendency to go and get the ball from the centre backs as you might expect a central midfield playmaker to do so. I've said before and remain convinced that he'll end up regarded as primarily a central midfielder, and he himself said a couple of months back that was where he saw himself in the long term. (As an aside, the idea on this thread a few days ago that we'd let him go for £25m, or that that is a good price for him given the market for young English players, undervalues him to an astonishing extend given not only his potential but his actual tangible contribution over the last 2.5 years - if his development slowed last season, that owed a lot to the fact he's now a marked man who carries an extraordinary burden as our creative hub - taking that weight of his shoulders is the big objective this summer).

The point is that with 2 more wingers, we'll have 8 front line options across the midfield. That's pretty good depth, and with a bit more flexibility as between wing and centre, we'll be as resilient to injuries as we realistically can be.
This user liked this post: Tall Paul

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:24 pm

I see the Utd signing of Sancho has finally been confirmed.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:28 pm

Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:05 pm
I think you're right, RB can wait until next year. We have a huge job probably unlikely to get done in 1 window.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:28 pm

Mainland-Niles is a prime example of a player who could operate both out wide and in central midfield, albeit expensive but perhaps a two birds, one stone scenario there.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:29 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:28 pm
Mainland-Niles is a prime example of a player who could operate both out wide and in central midfield, albeit expensive but perhaps a two birds, one stone scenario there.
Yes, exactly (although it wouldn't be a surprise if other than price, the stumbling block to him signing would be we'd see him primarily as a wide player, and he wants to be primarily a central midfielder).

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:31 pm

I very much doubt Collins will play right back, maybe as cover if we don't have one fit but he won't play ahead of Lowton or Bardsley.

So far we've filled the less desperate positions. But I think that's more because they deals haven't gone through for wingers rather than lack of effort. Still though, it's not good enough. We need numbers in each position and we only have 2 wide man at the minute. 1 of which is injury prone.

Because of Gudmundsson not being a reliable option really we need 3 more. Given that's not likely to happen I'll be happy with 2. Any less and we're asking for it.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2143 times
Has Liked: 3062 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:31 pm

Just Imagine we got:

Dan James from Utd
AMN from Arsenal
Davies from Liverpool/Free (Dunne replacement effectively)

I'd be pretty happy with that

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:32 pm

claretspice wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:19 pm
We've got 4 senior central midfielders. Yes, I know one is the maligned Dale Stephens but it's probably only fair to see how he gets on after a full pre-season. Equally the writing of Cork into history is a little premature given he's had one injury disrupted season.
I said we are fine on numbers in central midfield, the issue isn't lack of numbers, it's a lack of quality. An overweight Dale Stephens isn't the answer, forget that. Cork hasn't been the same player he was once for quite a while, he's been incredibly frail and weak imo. Pinning any hopes on chubby Dale Stephens is an incredible gamble, a gamble ALK hopefully aren't prepared to take because we cannot afford to be relegated.

Like I said further up, giving Dyche less resources is more of a gamble than giving him more.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:35 pm

claretspice wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:29 pm
Yes, exactly (although it wouldn't be a surprise if other than price, the stumbling block to him signing would be we'd see him primarily as a wide player, and he wants to be primarily a central midfielder).
Agree with all you posted in the previous message but I was sure I'd read prior to the WBA move he preferred the wing and found this.
https://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archi ... e-the-wing

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:36 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:38 pm

Don't think that anyone will argue that years of under investment in the squad have left us with a lot of work to do over the next few years. CM and strikers will definitely need some strengthening over the next few seasons but are not a priority for this summer imo.

Barnes bagged a few last year and to be honest looked our most threatening striker for a period where Wood was anonymous. As well as scoring, he looked our biggest threat in many games, making keepers pull out decent saves and the disallowed goal vs Leeds. Play him regularly and I say he would do just fine. JRod, I love, but after limited game time last year it's hard to know where he's at and whether he'd be a sufficient goal threat going forward. Scored two in pre-season so far. I would say on balance we are very lucky to have 4 good strikers and not many do beyond their main players - Spurs without Kane, Everton without Calvert Lewin?

Lowton did well last year and I think while we have Bardsley as cover we will leave that position. certainly on the list after wingers and before CM / strikers imo.
This user liked this post: KRBFC

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:44 pm

claretspice wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:29 pm
I'd still sign him

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:46 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Don't think that anyone will argue that years of under investment in the squad have left us with a lot of work to do over the next few years. CM and strikers will definitely need some strengthening over the next few seasons but are not a priority for this summer imo.

Barnes bagged a few last year and to be honest looked our most threatening striker for a period where Wood was anonymous. As well as scoring, he looked our biggest threat in many games, making keepers pull out decent saves and the disallowed goal vs Leeds. Play him regularly and I say he would do just fine. JRod, I love, but after limited game time last year it's hard to know where he's at and whether he'd be a sufficient goal threat going forward. Scored two in pre-season so far. I would say on balance we are very lucky to have 4 good strikers and not many do beyond their main players - Spurs without Kane, Everton without Calvert Lewin?

Lowton did well last year and I think while we have Bardsley as cover we will leave that position. certainly on the list after wingers and before CM / strikers imo.
I see CM as one of the highest priorities. We have 4 senior CMs on the books. 3 of them are out of contract in 12 months (I doubt any will be Renewed) if we don’t address that area now with a genuine first team quality player (or 2) then we are just pushing the issue down the road.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 313 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:12 pm

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:31 pm
Just Imagine we got:

Dan James from Utd
AMN from Arsenal
Davies from Liverpool/Free (Dunne replacement effectively)

I'd be pretty happy with that
Just the speed of Dan James would get us up the pitch so much quicker and cause defences lots of problems, we really need someone like him in pronto be it permanent or a loan. £18-20m should get him and thats bargain basement these days :oops: He hasnt done enough to have gone up in value, £25m is a joke.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:19 pm

Season starts in 3 weeks and it’s looking increasingly likely that the starting XI for Brighton will be very similar to that of the previous 4 seasons.

I may be pleasantly surprised, but it’s looking like another summer trying to plug the holes on the bench.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:19 pm

Dont forget any players from Man U or Liverpool have a star quality premium tax added
How else can you explain the sales of Ibe, Solanke and Brewster all below average Championship standard yet a commanded a silly overinflated price.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:20 pm

We would be a different animal with Dan James in our side .

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:28 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:46 pm
I see CM as one of the highest priorities. We have 4 senior CMs on the books. 3 of them are out of contract in 12 months (I doubt any will be Renewed) if we don’t address that area now with a genuine first team quality player (or 2) then we are just pushing the issue down the road.
I wouldn’t be at all surprised it a couple of them were renewed. I wouldn’t want them to be offered new deals, but they will be.

Mattster
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by Mattster » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:29 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Brownhill - 2024
Westwood - 2023
Cork - 2022 with option of a further year which will undoubtedly be picked up unless he is long term injured

Stephens you would hope will be punted.

I think Benson will have this year to prove he's up to the level required and sold next Summer if not. From the U23's Helm has apparently looked really good and Gomez-Mancini was our best player in most games I watched last season. Then there's the enigma that is Adam Phillips, given he's been our best player out on loan he may get opportunities this season as a loan makes no sense (if we plan to sell him then it needs to be done now as he'd leave without compensation next Summer since he'd be 24).

I don't think CM is a priority yet, nothing like the wings, though an injury to Westwood would really hamstring us as no one from our current crop progresses the ball up the pitch like he does. Would say CM and RB signings are probably going to have to wait until next Summer unless we make a big sale this window.

If we did want to strengthen then IMO Gustavo Hamer is the perfect fit for us, as he would be able to play the Westwood role (and he's a better dribbler).

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:35 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:19 pm
Season starts in 3 weeks and it’s looking increasingly likely that the starting XI for Brighton will be very similar to that of the previous 4 seasons.

I may be pleasantly surprised, but it’s looking like another summer trying to plug the holes on the bench.
We need someone who's a bit of a maverick in midfield, as it stands we are very predicatable going forward.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:39 pm

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:35 pm
We need someone who's a bit of a maverick in midfield, as it stands we are very predicatable going forward.
We are also very predictable going backwards - slow both ways ;)

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:41 pm

Mattster wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:29 pm
If we did want to strengthen then IMO Gustavo Hamer is the perfect fit for us, as he would be able to play the Westwood role (and he's a better dribbler).
Sounds like he would make a real soggy mess on the front of those new shirts

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:44 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:19 pm
Dont forget any players from Man U or Liverpool have a star quality premium tax added
How else can you explain the sales of Ibe, Solanke and Brewster all below average Championship standard yet a commanded a silly overinflated price.
Do you just constantly post without watching these players play?

you said Hudson Odoi lacked dribbling skills :lol: Abraham is crap, Lingard wouldn't get into our side.

Brewster was at Swansea on loan, he wasn't ''below average Championship standard''.
Ibe had a very good loan spell at Derby in the Championship, he signed for Bournemouth when they were in the PL and recently came out speaking about his mental health struggles.
Solanke again was signed by a PL club as a young kid, didn't do too well but had a very good season last season.

All 3 players have done well in the Championship, were signed by PL clubs as youngsters and didn't do too well. You're simply uneducated to suggest they're below average Championship standard.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:46 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:35 pm
Agree with all you posted in the previous message but I was sure I'd read prior to the WBA move he preferred the wing and found this.
https://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archi ... e-the-wing
That's very interesting - I had it in mind that he'd publicly said he wanted to be considered a central midfielder, which clearly was wrong. Makes him a very natural player for us to be interested in.
Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
As I think others have noted, this is plain wrong - only Stephens is out of contract next summer, and in any event that doesn't allow for McNeil as an option, or Benson and Gomez Mancini (who we regarded highly enough to pay a fee for last year), or others within the development system.
KRBFC wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:32 pm
I said we are fine on numbers in central midfield, the issue isn't lack of numbers, it's a lack of quality. An overweight Dale Stephens isn't the answer, forget that. Cork hasn't been the same player he was once for quite a while, he's been incredibly frail and weak imo. Pinning any hopes on chubby Dale Stephens is an incredible gamble, a gamble ALK hopefully aren't prepared to take because we cannot afford to be relegated.

Like I said further up, giving Dyche less resources is more of a gamble than giving him more.
with all respect, you undermine your own argument when you cast it in these terms. Following this pre-season there's no reason to believe that Stephens would be overweight (Dyche does not sign players with weight problems - period), and given Cork has had one injury disrupted season in his time with us, and was in excellent form throughout 19/20 until injured after the re-start, it's hyperbolic to suggest that he's finished.

I think we'd all like to start seeing another signing or two sooner rather than later, but anyone who thought we'd get more than say 3 players through the door before the season started was probably kidding themselves. One more signing in the next 3 weeks and we'll have hit that target, and we then have another 17 days to get a couple more during what is always the business end of the season. Patience needed, folks.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:51 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:20 pm
We would be a different animal with Dan James in our side .
I'm not sure about that. I think teams would hang back in numbers to negate his pace.
We're not the best at breaking teams down when they have numbers back and set.

We certainly need more pace though but not necessarily such a direct running player.

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:57 pm

claretspice wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:46 pm
That's very interesting - I had it in mind that he'd publicly said he wanted to be considered a central midfielder, which clearly was wrong. Makes him a very natural player for us to be interested in.
It does. The fact he is capable of playing full back, midfield as well as his favoured position is a bonus but as we need a right sided midfielder/winger it would surely be a positive selling point if we were interested in him.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:59 pm

claretspice wrote:

with all respect, you undermine your own argument when you cast it in these terms. Following this pre-season there's no reason to believe that Stephens would be overweight (Dyche does not sign players with weight problems - period), and given Cork has had one injury disrupted season in his time with us, and was in excellent form throughout 19/20 until injured after the re-start, it's hyperbolic to suggest that he's finished.

I think we'd all like to start seeing another signing or two sooner rather than later, but anyone who thought we'd get more than say 3 players through the door before the season started was probably kidding themselves. One more signing in the next 3 weeks and we'll have hit that target, and we then have another 17 days to get a couple more during what is always the business end of the season. Patience needed, folks.
Stephens was overweight when he signed. I think Cork has been poor for the last year and a half, he hasn't been anything like the same player since we qualified for Europe.

Dyche wasn't happy with the size of the squad last season, Brady and Dunne have since left. Mumbongo (who was in the squad and used last season albeit not much) has also gone out on loan. Gibson also gone permanently. I'm pretty sure Dyche was expecting more than 3 would come in, I don't think he was kidding himself. I don't expect we'll fix all of our glaring deficiencies in one window, it's been stacking up for so long it will take longer. I'm not complaining, this is a discussion, I'm very much patiently waiting.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:03 pm

claretspice wrote:

As I think others have noted, this is plain wrong - only Stephens is out of contract next summer, and in any event that doesn't allow for McNeil as an option, or Benson and Gomez Mancini (who we regarded highly enough to pay a fee for last year), or others within the development system.

Apologies Westwood has an extra 12 months. CM is our weakest position in the squad. Only Westwood is premier league quality. Cork is depreciating quickly but can still do a job. Brownhill is championship quality (nothing wrong with that he just hasn’t made the step up). Stephens just looks past it, we probably signed him 3 years too late.

I won’t mention Benson and Mancini as they are both academy players in my eyes and don’t enter the equation.

In my opinion if we go into the season with that midfield 4 the best we can hope for is 17th.
This user liked this post: Top Claret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:03 pm

Maitland-Niles would be fantastic

Course, he'd be a great signing for a host of clubs in the prem

Again, are we even linked with him?

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:07 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:03 pm

BBC reporter with over 250k followers linked us
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:09 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1 ... 65960?s=19
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:13 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:

Question is, can he run backwards or play aux right back?

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:20 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:59 pm
Stephens was overweight when he signed. I think Cork has been poor for the last year and a half, he hasn't been anything like the same player since we qualified for Europe.
We looked far better when he came back into the side last season
This user liked this post: ClaretAndBlue94

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:28 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:20 pm
We looked far better when he came back into the side last season
Not sure about that, we won at Anfield without him, following game we beat Villa at home without him. Then Cork returned and we didn't win for 3 games. I thought we were disgustingly bad at the end of the season with Cork playing too.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:33 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:28 pm
Not sure about that, we won at Anfield without him, following game we beat Villa at home without him. Then Cork returned and we didn't win for 3 games. I thought we were disgustingly bad at the end of the season with Cork playing too.
We have form for going on the beach early once survival has been secured it’s happened a few times

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:35 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Apologies Westwood has an extra 12 months. CM is our weakest position in the squad. Only Westwood is premier league quality. Cork is depreciating quickly but can still do a job. Brownhill is championship quality (nothing wrong with that he just hasn’t made the step up). Stephens just looks past it, we probably signed him 3 years too late.

I won’t mention Benson and Mancini as they are both academy players in my eyes and don’t enter the equation.

In my opinion if we go into the season with that midfield 4 the best we can hope for is 17th.
You’re over playing the central midfield issue, though I agree it’s an area that does need improvement.

Right wing is our weakest position in the squad, simply based on the fact that we don’t have a right winger.

Personally, I’d rate Cork above Westwood. I think that the criticisms of him are harsh - he’s easily our most intelligent midfield player and possibly, the best footballing brain in our entire squad. His ability is being written off all too quickly.

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:40 pm

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:13 pm
Question is, can he run backwards or play aux right back?
Arsene Wenger on Maitland Niles

'I believe he is the future. He can play left back, right back, central midfield. Of the three positions, maybe the least natural for him is left back, but he adapts very quickly and is a good defender.

"He has that sense of one against one, he is very strong, he is very quick, he has very quick recovery runs when he comes back.'