Knee Injury...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cheeseon
Been Liked: 5 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Re: Knee Injury...

Post by cheeseon » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:37 pm

Tim, I don’t know how your knee is now but just thought I’d share that I’ve just had arthroscopy on my right knee for a torn meniscus. Luckily I was insured with BUPA and was referred after a phone consult with a physio.
The breakdown of costs for this if you’re paying privately was
£289 MRI scan
£200 initial consultation and interpretation of MRI results
£3652 arthroscopy including anaesthetist fees, follow up consults with surgeon, physio and all hospital fees
Hope this helps if you’re still struggling and weighing up your options.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:53 am

cheeseon wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:37 pm
Tim, I don’t know how your knee is now but just thought I’d share that I’ve just had arthroscopy on my right knee for a torn meniscus. Luckily I was insured with BUPA and was referred after a phone consult with a physio.
The breakdown of costs for this if you’re paying privately was
£289 MRI scan
£200 initial consultation and interpretation of MRI results
£3652 arthroscopy including anaesthetist fees, follow up consults with surgeon, physio and all hospital fees
Hope this helps if you’re still struggling and weighing up your options.
Thanks for the Reply :D as things stand now I'm very much improved...I think issues relate to the meniscus btw. If it flares again I will seek a private Consultation at the outset for sure. I'm fully mobile and pain free at Present thankfully.

Super Teds
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Super Teds » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:55 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:05 am
In my experience with a significant knee injury the leg muscle doesn't take very long to shut down and start to waste, and to attempt straight leg raise too early will cause significant pain and put your recovery way back, I had a ruptured acl and osteochondral fracture at the edge of my femur into the knee joint. My advice tm would be for you to go private and get diagnosed, I spent £90 doing so, it was the best £90 I've ever spent because at least I got a diagnosis, the week after I was admitted for arthroscopy, which was done as an NHS patient because my surgeon gave me the option to transfer back. Had I not have taken that decision to pay privately I'm sure I'd still have been waiting, simply because the route through your gp is first to let it settle down, rest ice compress exercise etc, "xray" which doesn't identify ligament injuries, it will only show significant fracture, (in my case mine was missed because it was hidden on the underside of my femur) and also the gp will usually suggest physio, all this can take months unfortunately. The problem is that the knee joint is a very complex thing, lots of little ligaments, major ligaments, tendons and obviously the tibial and femural joints meet up, which are covered by articular cartilage and meniscular protection in between, of which you may have a tear. Hope this he you make a decision tm and good luck with your recovery if it turns out to be serious.

Is that often the case do you know that the surgeon will give you the option to have an arthroscopy as an NHS patient? I am in a similar situation now in that I'm waiting for weeks to see a physio who has already mentioned an arthroscopy but no doubt this will be months away. I can't afford to go private however.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:49 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:53 am
Thanks for the Reply :D as things stand now I'm very much improved...I think issues relate to the meniscus btw. If it flares again I will seek a private Consultation at the outset for sure. I'm fully mobile and pain free at Present thankfully.
Try seven seas joint supplement with turmeric

Does the jog for my dodgy knees

About £20 a box from Boots

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:57 pm

Down_Rover wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:49 pm
Try seven seas joint supplement with turmeric

Does the jog for my dodgy knees