Chris Wood

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Re: Chris Wood

Post by beddie » Wed May 12, 2021 9:59 am

Another who's been outstanding for us. Wouldn't it be rather nice if he scored a few against Leeds and we beat them convincingly. The Leeds fans love to criticise him, go show em Chris.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Wed May 12, 2021 10:48 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:35 am
Whether he’s better with Vydra is an interesting discussion.

For me he is.

However the most interesting thing about this is why it has taken so long for Vydra to be given any real game time.

By playing he’s gone from someone who didn’t seem to be trusted with a few minister here and there, literally sat on the bench whilst we laboured in games, to a fundamental part of our team.

I find that baffling.
I think there are 3 things that have led to Matej being given the extended run of games:
The injury crisis amongst our strikers this season.
The fact that SD came out and blatantly said he had finally 'got' the Burnley way.
The way our style has changed since the West Brom game with a more forward facing ethos for the most part.

His form has kept him as our 2nd choice striker. However I think it is significant that he is the 1st of the pair to be subbed off, showing that Woody can play with any partner whereas Vyds is still not seen as a good fit with either JRod or Bashley as a strike partner.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Wed May 12, 2021 11:06 am

bfcmik wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:48 am
I think there are 3 things that have led to Matej being given the extended run of games:
The injury crisis amongst our strikers this season.
The fact that SD came out and blatantly said he had finally 'got' the Burnley way.
The way our style has changed since the West Brom game with a more forward facing ethos for the most part.

His form has kept him as our 2nd choice striker. However I think it is significant that he is the 1st of the pair to be subbed off, showing that Woody can play with any partner whereas Vyds is still not seen as a good fit with either JRod or Bashley as a strike partner.
I think that’s more because Wood is better defensively than anything else.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed May 12, 2021 11:19 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:25 am
Some of the players he is above in the goalscorer chart :-

Rashford
Sterling
Mane
Aubameyang
It's like comparing chalk to cheese, you might aswell add defenders to the list while you're at it.
Any focal point striker worth his salt should get more league goals than wingers who don't even start games.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed May 12, 2021 11:21 am

bfcmik wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:48 am
I think it is more the case that Wood is the more likely to score a goal, so given every opportunity.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:24 am

Bamford v Wood soon,would anyone take Bamford above Wood solely on his Leeds form this season,I know he's scored plenty for Leeds but he still hasn't convinced me he's any good...Wood for me everytime