Give me the money !!!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Re: Give me the money !!!

Post by KRBFC » Tue May 11, 2021 6:40 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:34 pm
I don't even know what he's on about tbh, he spouts so much libellous garbage on here about our former owners I don't even bother responding to him anymore about a lot of stuff.

If I do, one if his chums rocks up and whines about how I've spoken to him, it's apparently a bigger issue than what he's said.
What have I said about our previous owners? you're jumping in a conversation between me and Chester about something I didn't say. I want to clear my name and make sure Chester is aware of my previous point, I just wanted him to acknowledge his error.

EDIT; I like Chester, his posts have helped educate me, it annoyed me he thought I said something I didn't say.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue May 11, 2021 6:43 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:35 pm
I do wonder how much foreign signings play a part, like the global benefit to Man United of signing Ji Sung Park, I'd imagine it's huge for Man United but how does that translate further down? it's really difficult to track how effective it is but I wonder if that's something we try and I'm not against it.

Like I would guess Wolves have a significant Portuguese fanbase for all the international players they've had recently, but do they really?
I great example of that this season is the commercial and fan activity Everton have generated on the back of signing James Rodriguez - it has given their first ever foothold in South America - of course that signing only happened because of the personal relationship with Ancelotti

Dyche does not appear to like that kind of thing though (much like Alex Ferguson, one of Dyche's favourite reference points)

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue May 11, 2021 6:47 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:43 pm
I great example of that this season is the commercial and fan activity Everton have generated on the back of signing James Rodriguez - it has given their first ever foothold in South America - of course that signing only happened because of the personal relationship with Ancelotti

Dyche does not appear to like that kind of thing though (much like Alex Ferguson, one of Dyche's favourite reference points)
How is the fan activity measured? Is that merchandise sales? live game viewers? social media interactions?
It's an old concept but I wonder if it's financially viable to focus on as a legit strategy to grow global income.
I wouldn't be against us signing a couple of Japanese players, providing one of them is Kubo ;)

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 11, 2021 6:50 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:32 pm
Do you have a link to something to support the claim about Tarks?
it was in a Dyche interview I posted over the last few weeks, I've posted a few and some are lengthy, let me see if I can find it for you

it could be in this one but I don't have time to check right now (if you haven't watched it its superb either way)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onahEi-cK9A

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:54 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:35 pm
I do wonder how much foreign signings play a part, like the global benefit to Man United of signing Ji Sung Park, I'd imagine it's huge for Man United but how does that translate further down? it's really difficult to track how effective it is but I wonder if that's something we try and I'm not against it.

Like I would guess Wolves have a significant Portuguese fanbase for all the international players they've had recently, but do they really?
It's widely acknowledged part of the reasoning for Utd signing him was commercial reasons.
Same with Son at Spurs.

Dunno how it works at Wolves tbh

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:58 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:39 pm
your approach doesn't help, as I have pointed out before. I love your enthusiasm, but you can get quite aggressive when agitated or frustrated particularly if people don't accept your perspective, and that can happen quite quickly on occasion. Part of me suspects at times they are just toying with you, which does not reflect well on either side.
It isn't so much my perspective as people's refusal to see facts.
I'll debate all day long about opinions, but facts are exactly that and people making stuff up and refusing to acknowledge the actual facts irritates me.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue May 11, 2021 7:00 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:54 pm
It's widely acknowledged part of the reasoning for Utd signing him was commercial reasons.
Same with Son at Spurs.

Dunno how it works at Wolves tbh
We almost had half the ROI squad here, we must have grown in Ireland from that? I dunno how you can really track it effectively though.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue May 11, 2021 7:04 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:47 pm
How is the fan activity measured? Is that merchandise sales? live game viewers? social media interactions?
It's an old concept but I wonder if it's financially viable to focus on as a legit strategy to grow global income.
I wouldn't be against us signing a couple of Japanese players, providing one of them is Kubo ;)
a combination there of - Social media sign-ups rocketed in the region

it only makes sense if you are going to actually regularly feature the players, so Son at Spurs is great, commercially but is also an absolute lynchpin of the team - the downside is that when the player moves on you lose a vast amount of interest in your club - those "fans" and commercial partners are effectively the players not the clubs at any stage, though the club can benefit for a while.

If the club develops it's own relationships with the fans by embedding a long term relationship and ongoing player development, then that initial signing could in theory be used as an introducer to build up the lasting relationship - many are currently trying this across Europe but it is a difficult thing to achieve. Most international fan groups have been formed for other reasons going back decades, a surprising amount of which can be traced back to international heritage communities living close to the club and the relationship the club has with them.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue May 11, 2021 7:07 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:58 pm
It isn't so much my perspective as people's refusal to see facts.
I'll debate all day long about opinions, but facts are exactly that and people making stuff up and refusing to acknowledge the actual facts irritates me.
As has been clearly demonstrated again today what some people consider as facts or even reasoning, others don't - the discipline is not to get riled by it - and try to be respectful as much as possible - I know it can be difficult but it makes for a better board overall
This user liked this post: DCWat

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Tue May 11, 2021 7:07 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:32 pm
Do you have a link to something to support the claim about Tarks?
This is true, I saw the same interview, tried to sign him from Oldham when we sold Austin and spent nothing. Garlick wouldn't give him 300k for tarky.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 11, 2021 7:11 pm

claretandy wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:07 pm
This is true, I saw the same interview, tried to sign him from Oldham when we sold Austin and spent nothing. Garlick wouldn't give him 300k for tarky.
can you remember which interview it was, I can't remember and I'd like to show him/her the link

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:13 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:00 pm
We almost had half the ROI squad here, we must have grown in Ireland from that? I dunno how you can really track it effectively though.
It can be tracked through social media.

Spurs have the best player from South Korea so the best way to track interest from there is through social media clicks/likes etc.

When I ran social media platforms for previous employers the sites provide tools to monitor your pages activity.
Clubs probably outsource that work, but they'll be able to monitor for activity from specific areas of the world.

This can then be checked against retail activity so are they seeing a spike in sales in South Korea, or shipping too that area.
Their kit suppliers will certainly be watching it closely.

Part of the reason Real Madrid keep buying the top players is to feed the monster that is their commercial /marketing machine, which in turn attracts bigger and better sponsorship deals and so on.
They'll also be more active to sign players affiliated with their kit manufacturer for example.

Ronaldo has a ridiculous amount of social media followers, so whatever he's wearing or using, or who he's playing for will see a spike in sales.
I think he's now got a lifetime sponsorship deal with Nike similar to Micheal Jordan and they don't hand many of those out.

Utd fans whinge about Glazers taking money out of the club, but they've grown the commercial side so well that money going to Glazers hasn't stopped them spending on first team players.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue May 11, 2021 7:22 pm

claretandy wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:07 pm
not surprising giving the finances at the time and the outlook people had for the season and the future that summer - no one realistically thought promotion was on it's way - all told the subsequent signing was probably cheaper for us from a looking forward from a budget perspective than it would have been at that time, and you will not convince me he was first team ready at that point either

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:27 pm

“I did try to get him from Oldham and the board wouldn’t give me £300,000 at the time, we ended up paying £5million, go and figure that one out,” Dyche said ahead of Burnley’s trip to Fulham on Monday evening.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 11, 2021 7:28 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:22 pm
not surprising giving the finances at the time and the outlook people had for the season and the future that summer - no one realistically thought promotion was on it's way - all told the subsequent signing was probably cheaper for us from a looking forward from a budget perspective than it would have been at that time, and you will not convince me he was first team ready at that point either
Dyche wanted him and that is all that mattered, they refused to spend 300K on him - unless Dyche is a liar them's the facts

Lambo
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by Lambo » Tue May 11, 2021 7:30 pm

It’s simple really...sign a Chinese International and flog shirts to the Chinese...50m shirts at say (Chinese prices) £5 each....sorted

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:39 pm

Ref Tarks for £300k, is that the summer when we signed 3 players for free and sold Austin to help pay the bills?

If so, I'm not overly surprised we didn't hand over £300k for Tarks, especially as we didn't need a CB at the time that I can recall.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 11, 2021 7:42 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:39 pm
Ref Tarks for £300k, is that the summer when we signed 3 players for free and sold Austin to help pay the bills?

If so, I'm not overly surprised we didn't hand over £300k for Tarks, especially as we didn't need a CB at the time that I can recall.
FACT - Dyche wanted him. Therefore he deemed he was either required immediately or for the future for a nominal fee the likes of which we spent in the lower leagues

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:42 pm

Lambo wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:30 pm
It’s simple really...sign a Chinese International and flog shirts to the Chinese...50m shirts at say (Chinese prices) £5 each....sorted
Find one good enough for the PL first :lol:

There's about a dozen in European football mainly in 2nd divisions or a lot lower.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:43 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:28 pm
Dyche wanted him and that is all that mattered, they refused to spend 300K on him - unless Dyche is a liar them's the facts
Penny wise, Pound foolish
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:50 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:42 pm
FACT - Dyche wanted him. Therefore he deemed he was either required immediately or for the future for a nominal fee the likes of which we spent in the lower leagues
I'm not denying he wanted him.

I'm looking at the financial side of it when it was common knowledge we were skint the summer before so calling the board gutless for being financially prudent because you're using hindsight is just odd.

Oldham - league one club.
Brentford - also a League one club at the time.

Tarks moved in January 2014, when we were signing Ashley Barnes for a similar amount because we needed a striker, not a defender.

Using the wonder of hindsight and taking into consideration our finances at the time, were we better off signing Barnes or would we have been better off signing Tarks?

Barnes made 21 appearances that season, scoring 3 goals just for added information to help.

Tarks made 12 appearances and scored 2 goals in league one for balance.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:53 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:43 pm
Penny wise, Pound foolish
My old boss said look after the pennies because the pounds will look after themselves.

Which one was the better outcome in the end?

Claret_tinted
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by Claret_tinted » Tue May 11, 2021 8:01 pm

There’s going to be a lot of clubs looking to trim wages this year and next. We don’t have to be spending huge amounts on transfer fees. I think we will see lots of players moving for nominal fees.

Out:

Barnes - JRod - Tarks - Brady - Dunne - Stephens - Mumbongo - Glennon

In: who knows? I think we will see more of Richardson and Thomas

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Tue May 11, 2021 8:01 pm

I doubt that we’ll make any bigger signings than the Brownhill level of acquisition.
What we may see is a large influx of young prospects at youth to U23 level and us playing the numbers game believing that some will come good.
That won’t happen by next season though.
With that in mind then I’m hoping that we don’t sell any big players, like Tarks, because I don’t think we’ll use much of that money to strengthen, it may go somewhere else.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:02 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:53 pm
My old boss said look after the pennies because the pounds will look after themselves.

Which one was the better outcome in the end?
Don’t often agree with DJ, but not sure how anyone can be negative about Garlick and everything he has done for this club.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:03 pm

Claret_tinted wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:01 pm
There’s going to be a lot of clubs looking to trim wages this year and next. We don’t have to be spending huge amounts on transfer fees. I think we will see lots of players moving for nominal fees.

Out:

Think Mumbongo has signed a new contract today?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:06 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:02 pm
Don’t often agree with DJ, but not sure how anyone can be negative about Garlick and everything he has done for this club.
There are things to be critical of from Garlicks ownership, stuff like the lack of growth on social media and not taking real advantage of our time in the PL to grow the Burnley brand at a decent rate which has irritated me for ages.

However, calling him gutless for being financially prudent at a time when the club was on its arse is one of the stranger comments I've seen recently.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Tue May 11, 2021 8:19 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:13 pm

Spurs have the best player from South Korea so the best way to track interest from there is through social media clicks/likes etc.

When I ran social media platforms for previous employers the sites provide tools to monitor your pages activity.
Clubs probably outsource that work, but they'll be able to monitor for activity from specific areas of the world.

This can then be checked against retail activity so are they seeing a spike in sales in South Korea, or shipping too that area.

Part of the reason Real Madrid keep buying the top players is to feed the monster that is their commercial /marketing machine, which in turn attracts bigger and better sponsorship deals and so on.
They'll also be more active to sign players affiliated with their kit manufacturer for example.

Ronaldo has a ridiculous amount of social media followers, so whatever he's wearing or using, or who he's playing for will see a spike in sales.
I think he's now got a lifetime sponsorship deal with Nike similar to Micheal Jordan and they don't hand many of those out.

Utd fans whinge about Glazers taking money out of the club, but they've grown the commercial side so well that money going to Glazers hasn't stopped them spending on first team players.
It will be far more detailed than simply monitoring traffic / page activity. I’d have thought that most, if not all of the bigger players have their own in house teams focussing solely on web analytics and profiling.

I’d be surprised if it was outsourced and I’d be equally surprised if we don’t either have them ourselves, or plan to do so very soon.

The levels that profiling can drill down to is hugely enlightening, tie this into analytics and it becomes massively powerful, in the right hands.

A previous company I worked at was using this sort of data to identify property portfolio development / investment areas 10 years ago and that was by no means a new thing to be doing back then.

Football seems to be quite late to the data party (what fun that sounds) on face value at least.
This user liked this post: KRBFC

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue May 11, 2021 8:20 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:28 pm
I look at the venom in your posts today and wonder if someone has taken over your account

at no point did I question the truthfulness of the statement, I just said it was understandable why it did not happen and then pointed out the circumstances and questioned whether Dyche would have used him in the first team ahead of Duff and Shackell

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:23 pm

DCWat wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:19 pm
It will be far more detailed than simply monitoring traffic / page activity. I’d have thought that most, if not all of the bigger players have their own in house teams focussing solely on web analytics and profiling.

I’d be surprised if it was outsourced and I’d be equally surprised if we don’t either have them ourselves, or plan to do so very soon.

The levels that profiling can drill down to is hugely enlightening, tie this into analytics and it becomes massively powerful, in the right hands.

A previous company I worked at was using this sort of data to identify property portfolio development / investment areas 10 years ago and that was by no means a new thing to be doing back then.

Football seems to be quite late to the data party (what fun that sounds) on face value at least.
I didn't go into that much detail because its not that interesting for many people :-)

Never considered it being used for property stuff, I would go and read about it, but I'd end up down a rabbit hole.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue May 11, 2021 8:23 pm

Lambo wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:30 pm
you may want to investigate what happened in Spain when that happened in a partnership deal with Saudi Arabia - really backfired quite spectacularly

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue May 11, 2021 8:25 pm

DCWat wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:19 pm

very late really and there are still only a handful globally getting it anywhere near right

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 11, 2021 8:31 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:20 pm
I look at the venom in your posts today and wonder if someone has taken over your account

at no point did I question the truthfulness of the statement, I just said it was understandable why it did not happen and then pointed out the circumstances and questioned whether Dyche would have used him in the first team ahead of Duff and Shackell
absolutely no intended venom at all mate, that's the problem with the written word in that they are open to misinterpretation. We are having nothing but a discussion imho, we don't agree on stuff and I'm 100% fine with that. I've learned a lot from your posts in the MMT so I don't debate just for the sake of it, I just have different opinions, whether anyone of us is right or wrong is utterly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 11, 2021 8:32 pm

Claret_tinted wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:01 pm

Out:

it wouldn't surprise me to see WBA try and come in for Barnes if BFS stays there
This user liked this post: Claret_tinted

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:50 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:32 pm
it wouldn't surprise me to see WBA try and come in for Barnes if BFS stays there
It will be a sad day when he goes.

Bargain price, brilliant at winding up the opposition and scored some great and useful goals.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue May 11, 2021 8:53 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:13 pm

How do you think it works for a club like us though? is there much info out there on the Wolves/Portugal link?
Of course the influx of interest once you've signed a player like Ronaldo is massive but how does that scale? and when does it stop being viable financially? I'm surprised teams aren't buying Chinese players to rot in the reserves or does this kind of method only really work with world class players? An interesting concept for sure.

Appreciate the normal response, thanks!

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue May 11, 2021 8:54 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:03 pm
Think Mumbongo has signed a new contract today?
I am surprised at that.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 11, 2021 9:00 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:50 pm
It will be a sad day when he goes.

Bargain price, brilliant at winding up the opposition and scored some great and useful goals.
agree 100% but he's 31 now and if you could get 8 million for him (complete guess amount) would you take it given how well Vydra has done ?

Bargain doesn't begin to cover the value he has given us !!

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue May 11, 2021 9:05 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:00 pm
agree 100% but he's 31 now and if you could get 8 million for him (complete guess amount) would you take it given how well Vydra has done ?

Bargain doesn't begin to cover the value he has given us !!
I think Barnes still offers something, I'd keep him and get rid of Rodriguez. The problem with signing older players is we end up stuck with the likes of Lennon on £50,000 p/w until their contracts expire, we could do with losing quite a few and replacing with players who contribute.

I used to laugh at the old ''he's great in the dressing room'' thing but I'd keep Barnes here for years to come, I think he epitomizes us under Dyche and he does seem to be a big character here.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Tue May 11, 2021 9:10 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:05 pm
I think Barnes still offers something, I'd keep him and get rid of Rodriguez. The problem with signing older players is we end up stuck with the likes of Lennon on £50,000 p/w until their contracts expire, we could do with losing quite a few and replacing with players who contribute.

I used to laugh at the old ''he's great in the dressing room'' thing but I'd keep Barnes here for years to come, I think he epitomizes us under Dyche and he does seem to be a big character here.
I think it's about time our board (whoever they may have been) learned to pack in signing former Burnley legends in the hope (expectation) that they still offer what they had when we sold them. It doesn't happen.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Tue May 11, 2021 9:12 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:10 pm
I think it's about time our board (whoever they may have been) learned to pack in signing former Burnley legends in the hope (expectation) that they still offer what they had when we sold them. It doesn't happen.
I’d risk that one for a Trippier return!!

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Tue May 11, 2021 9:13 pm

DCWat wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:12 pm
I’d risk that one for a Trippier return!!
I wouldn't ;)

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3845 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue May 11, 2021 9:13 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:39 pm

Was he still playing Ben Mee at left back at the time?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 11, 2021 9:22 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:05 pm

yup, not suggesting we sell him, he would be perfect for an Allardyce team so it just wouldn't surprise me if there was an offer for him from them not to dissimilar situation that Vokesy found himself in.

It would seriously upset Westy if we flogged him :lol:

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:47 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:53 pm
How do you think it works for a club like us though? is there much info out there on the Wolves/Portugal link?
Of course the influx of interest once you've signed a player like Ronaldo is massive but how does that scale? and when does it stop being viable financially? I'm surprised teams aren't buying Chinese players to rot in the reserves or does this kind of method only really work with world class players? An interesting concept for sure.

Appreciate the normal response, thanks!
For us we need a more active social media team, and whilst they've improved of late, they're still lagging behind.
Social media from a business perspective isn't just about sensible business posting.
When Weetabix posted about putting beans onto Weetabix, that twitter thread exploded with all sorts of social media business accounts from around the world chipping in from all sorts of different industries, but I don't recall seeing any football clubs on there but every single corporate /business account was getting a lot of likes, retweets and comments which increases exposure and eventually sales.

Roma is a very good example of a well ran twitter account, I follow them and I'm not even a Roma fan, same with Dortmund, however they post a lot of good content both football and non football related, but then you start to keep an eye out for their results, maybe even plan a visit to their ground incorporating it into a holiday and then before you know it you're a fan of the team, even if it is casual (no glory hunting references before you try :D)

Our social media team need to up the ante, make it an account that people want to follow, for both the non-footballing aspect and then eventually for the football.

For the club, we do need to consider having an eye on signing players for marketing reasons along with the usual ability and fitting into the dressing room.
The long history of signing mainly british players has done really really well in getting us into and keeping us in the top flight, but from a business brand expansion point of view its done us very little for us because someone in Italy probably doesn't give a toss about an Englishman drinking a cup of tea (its Ashley Westwood incase you haven't seen them, but I don't recall them tagging his favorite brand of tea and that's a missed trick if they haven't)

We can use Brighton's signing of Caicedo recently as an example - he's the biggest prospect to come from Ecuador in years and apparently he's very very good.

If Brighton can help him grow and he becomes a regular in the first team then from a brand point of view it helps them gain attention in that part of the world, both within Ecuador and around it.
As we know, they're very passionate about football over there so there will be people using social media to track his progress and if Brighton are on the ball they'll do the occasional post in his native language, videos on youtube about how he's settling in, what they're doing to help him etc etc as that will keep generating clicks and follows etc.
If he does well and gets a big money move from it, Brighton do well financially, plus the money they'll earn from the likes of youtube if the videos gain enough attention.

In turn that helps to convince more young players from that end of the world to take the leap to a small club in England who've shown they can develop and look after a young lad from the other side of the world.

Brands in Ecuador/South America may then be interested in partnering with Brighton for various things.

If it doesn't work out and he's a flop, at least they've shown they tried and they looked after him to ensure he didn't get too homesick etc.

It's a little easier for Brighton, they can take that extra risk because Bloom has deep pockets to cover expenses /losses to get it going or if it doesn't work.

Burnley need to broaden their horizon for players in the long run though.

If there are 2 wingers who fit our scouting profile, in regards to ability, cost in wages and transfer fees and both speak English, but one is actually English, based in the UK and one is German but based abroad for example we should be more willing to pick the foreign lad.

I'm not suggesting we rip the core of the team apart and replace with foreign lads, just add a sprinkling.

Its also worth considering signing 2 foreign players from the same country if we find 2 that fit our needs, they won't feel so quite alone then.

Reading did that years ago, signed Kevin Doyle and also Shane Long to apparently help Doyle settle in, which worked a treat :lol:

Havertz and Werner apparently converse in German on the pitch at Chelsea and same with Tevez and Mascherano at West Ham.

Chinese players don't appear to be of very good quality yet, there's a dozen or so in Europe in low quality leagues, but if anyone spots a good one...
Sticking them in the reserves won't generate the required social media interest to make the signing worthwhile.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:49 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:13 pm
Was he still playing Ben Mee at left back at the time?
Yeah.
Trips, Duff, Shackell, Mee.

We had Edgar & Long as back up CB's.
We knew Mee could play there.

Then we had a few full backs.

We genuinely didn't need Tarks unless we moved players out and at the time there wasn't a need to do so.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 11, 2021 9:52 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:47 pm
For us we need a more active social media team, and whilst they've improved of late, they're still lagging behind.
Social media from a business perspective isn't just about sensible business posting.
(i've cut most of the quote to save space)
I think we have already seen the beginnings of this with Pace getting rid of certain people. He clearly wants better and that can only be a good thing for us

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 11, 2021 9:53 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:49 pm
Yeah.
Trips, Duff, Shackell, Mee.

We had Edgar & Long as back up CB's.
We knew Mee could play there.

Then we had a few full backs.

We genuinely didn't need Tarks unless we moved players out and at the time there wasn't a need to do so.
except Dyche thought there was and his opinion is the only one that counts

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:53 pm
except Dyche thought there was and his opinion is the only one that counts
When you look at the back up I'd be surprised if SD didn't want an incoming defender of real quality.
Although he could have signed a quality LB and moved Mee inside, I suppose.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 11, 2021 10:01 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:52 pm
(i've cut most of the quote to save space)
I think we have already seen the beginnings of this with Pace getting rid of certain people. He clearly wants better and that can only be a good thing for us
Yeah it is getting better but it needs to move along faster.
We are already well behind.