We’ve all got Wood

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Re: We’ve all got Wood

Post by superdimitri » Thu May 13, 2021 11:37 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:15 pm
Keep your knickers on, nobody's turned it into a asterixing competition, whatever that is it's just a debate. Recent record is part of a season's work. As I said, no knee-jerk reactions, just an assessment of the season's work. He still had brilliant movement to create chances early in the season, he still worked hard, he still did plenty of elements of his job really well. Now he's doing all elements of his job really well.

I didn't hear any criticism from Dyche, have you got examples? I heard him give a pep talk about him playing hard, when he was at the top of the game, to ensure he wasn't going to rest on his laurels. I suspect with his brilliant man management, he knows how to get the best out of Chris wood.

My points don't contradict, if you think Chris Wood is a limited footballer, then your expectations are too high. The list of players scoring double figures in the last 4 seasons is

-Chris wood
-Harry kane
-Mohammed Salah
-Heung Min Son
-Alexandre Lacazette
-Jamie Vardy

You can't be in that group if you're limited.

As for Ings, he clearly was a very good player. In my opinion Wood has done better for Burnley than Ings did. He offers more in this Burnley team, than Ings did in the Burnley team he was in. That's just personal choice, I'm not going to argue with anybody who has a different view on that, as it's just opinion.

Hope this doesn't cause any further offence, or meltdown.
What you do you expect? You make a snarky comment based on him scoring in the opening game when you know clearly that he wasn't scoring anywhere near enough as he should have been early in the season. The time that he takes to score a goal in the first game does not mean he had a good start to the season...that is unless you consider the start of the season only 10 minutes. His record was pretty poor compared to previous years, and especially compared to the end of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlrO-z5qxX0
Here's what I'm referring too. Dyche says he's spoken to him many times, that there's things he needs to do to improve and specifically mentions his hold up play. Yes that's right- can you believe that after scoring a hatrick, our manager is critical of him? - Perhaps that's good management after all. He knows he can improve, he knows he has limitations and he doesn't try to hide anything.

We've been blessed with some decent target men at Burnley at recent years, and compared to them Woods hold up play is poor. For a guy of his size and stature in a team that often plays long balls he should do better. Luckily he more than makes up for it with his goals. But its this what I'm talking about when I say we make the most of limited footballers.. Wood being no exception. Yes you make good points about his runs in to channels and he does get the odd flick on too (although not as many as you'd expect he would). His main boon is his ability to find the net, and the predatory instinct he has which is very much Charlie Austin/Andy Payton like.

The fact is, if he didn't have obvious limitations he wouldn't be playing for us. We have a manager who gets everything he can from our players, who sets the team up to benefit our strengths (and weaknesses) best he can. If it wasn't for that, Wood would not score the goals that he does. In this respect he is a limited footballer, and it is this that has stopped him from succeeding in the premier league before he signed for us.

My original point still stands, and I'm not entirely sure if its something we even disagree on. Wood's form earlier in the season was not up to standard and it was correct that questions were being asked. Its correct that he was getting criticism from fans. There's nothing wrong with some criticism, if he didn't get any from Dyche then I'm certain he wouldn't improve.

A knee jerk reaction would be to lambaste him after one or two poor games. But the reality was he was playing poorly and he was missing chances he normally would put away. I like Wood and its fantastic that he turned it around, but hindsight is a beautiful thing so I really question anyone if they state him getting up to speed again was a certainty.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 3838 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu May 13, 2021 11:46 pm

Entering his peak, now really experienced in the Prem.

With a quality threat from the right and an injury free season, I could see him scoring 20 goals.

Wouldn’t shock me if he were one of those carrying something that they will now look at, given his issues earlier in the season.

Father Jack
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Father Jack » Thu May 13, 2021 11:46 pm

Wood started with the no.11 shirt. But then Dwight took this.
Was 9 Vokes shirt originally?
Looking at the highlights not many featured Vokes in Woods first season(s) here. Am I right to think / remember that Vokes was the biggest casualty of Wood arriving and becoming our main man?

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2604 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Fri May 14, 2021 6:21 am

superdimitri wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:37 pm
What you do you expect? You make a snarky comment based on him scoring in the opening game when you know clearly that he wasn't scoring anywhere near enough as he should have been early in the season. The time that he takes to score a goal in the first game does not mean he had a good start to the season...that is unless you consider the start of the season only 10 minutes. His record was pretty poor compared to previous years, and especially compared to the end of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlrO-z5qxX0
Here's what I'm referring too. Dyche says he's spoken to him many times, that there's things he needs to do to improve and specifically mentions his hold up play. Yes that's right- can you believe that after scoring a hatrick, our manager is critical of him? - Perhaps that's good management after all. He knows he can improve, he knows he has limitations and he doesn't try to hide anything.

We've been blessed with some decent target men at Burnley at recent years, and compared to them Woods hold up play is poor. For a guy of his size and stature in a team that often plays long balls he should do better. Luckily he more than makes up for it with his goals. But its this what I'm talking about when I say we make the most of limited footballers.. Wood being no exception. Yes you make good points about his runs in to channels and he does get the odd flick on too (although not as many as you'd expect he would). His main boon is his ability to find the net, and the predatory instinct he has which is very much Charlie Austin/Andy Payton like.

The fact is, if he didn't have obvious limitations he wouldn't be playing for us. We have a manager who gets everything he can from our players, who sets the team up to benefit our strengths (and weaknesses) best he can. If it wasn't for that, Wood would not score the goals that he does. In this respect he is a limited footballer, and it is this that has stopped him from succeeding in the premier league before he signed for us.

My original point still stands, and I'm not entirely sure if its something we even disagree on. Wood's form earlier in the season was not up to standard and it was correct that questions were being asked. Its correct that he was getting criticism from fans. There's nothing wrong with some criticism, if he didn't get any from Dyche then I'm certain he wouldn't improve.

A knee jerk reaction would be to lambaste him after one or two poor games. But the reality was he was playing poorly and he was missing chances he normally would put away. I like Wood and its fantastic that he turned it around, but hindsight is a beautiful thing so I really question anyone if they state him getting up to speed again was a certainty.
I didn’t mention him scoring after 10 minutes. Even here you’re damning him with faint praise... “wind’s the odd flick on” for example is hugely unfair.

Also I don’t hear criticism from Dyche there, I hear the club ethos of continue to improve, and it just looks like he knows how to keep getting a reaction from Chris Wood. He rarely talks positively about individual performances when players have had brilliant games.

As I said, no hindsight from me, I saw that he was doing plenty right, just missed a few chances, which all strikers do. Which target man held the ball up better in the Premier league? Whilst also having a bit of pace, outstanding movement and goal scoring? It’s not about a single attribute, it’s about the package.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4109 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Fri May 14, 2021 6:24 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:46 pm
Mate of mine (Man U fan) said today "how is that Wood bloke not playing for a better team?"
Because quite frankly there aren’t many about. Sure there are teams with better players in them, but there aren’t many better teams. Nowt to say he’d be as effective anywhere else. We play to his strengths and he now looks all the better for it.

I get his point tho...

bobinho
Been Liked: 4109 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Fri May 14, 2021 6:46 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:19 pm
And some still don’t think he’s our best striker and seem to think it’s all about Vydra.
I don’t think people are trying to claim it’s ALL about Vydra, I think they (we) are trying to get people to see that we “look” an awful lot better up top now with the extra pace and movement that BOTH forwards are showing. This is causing other teams problems as we aren’t giving them what they think we will (and have done) and also allows that high press to be more effective. We have started dragging opposition players out of shape too, something we haven’t done for quite some time.

It won’t take long for the “stats” to show that were are a bigger threat offensively for having these two up top. Well, that and ironing out the defensive errors that have been uncharacteristic. We have done brilliantly for a long time with the battering ram but our limit in the final third had finally been reached. I’m delighted we have made this change.... and this from a Barnes fan. We just need the other Barnes fans to get on board and accept this change as it seems some still don’t want to.

CW is undoubtedly our best striker though, and no mistake. He’d cost £40m to buy at the moment. Can’t wait for him to bag one or two today against Weeds.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Fri May 14, 2021 7:03 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 6:21 am
I didn’t mention him scoring after 10 minutes. Even here you’re damning him with faint praise... “wind’s the odd flick on” for example is hugely unfair.

Also I don’t hear criticism from Dyche there, I hear the club ethos of continue to improve, and it just looks like he knows how to keep getting a reaction from Chris Wood. He rarely talks positively about individual performances when players have had brilliant games.

As I said, no hindsight from me, I saw that he was doing plenty right, just missed a few chances, which all strikers do. Which target man held the ball up better in the Premier league? Whilst also having a bit of pace, outstanding movement and goal scoring? It’s not about a single attribute, it’s about the package.
Did you listen to what Dyche said in the interview? If you didn't hear the part that I mentioned either you didn't listen, or you ignore what you don't like to hear. I won't waste my time to mention it again because its clear as day, and only a few seconds in.

Luckily for us Dyche understands our players strengths and weaknesses and doesn't compare players like Wood to the best in the league. If he did this like you do, we would surely have been relegated long ago.

You can't keep claiming there's no hindsight. If you'd have said the same thing before he's recent run in form you would have been laughed at.

As I said before, I like Wood and I'm glad he's turned things around, but I'm a realist and I'm not stuck in clarets cloud 9 thinking he can do no wrong. Yes he should be winning more flick-ons, yes he should hold up the ball better. Stats only highlight this, for a big man scoring just two headers a season (just as many as Ben Mee) isn't great. Neither is losing the most Aerial Duels.
You can check stats here:
https://www.kickest.it/en/premier-leagu ... /2020-2021

But he's a limited footballer at this level and most of our players are limited. He's not the fastest nor the best in the air. He hasn't got the best movement but what he does have is a good eye for goal, which suits us. We take players who have limitations and place them in a strict and rigid system where they can play well. Wood's no different here.

I still don't get how you can say he's not a limited footballer, yet at the same time state people are expecting too much. - Which one is it?
You've gone comparing Wood to the best in the league, yet lambasted others for knee jerk reactions from expecting too much? :?:

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1227 times

Post by Pickles » Fri May 14, 2021 7:10 am

Obviously hope he's a Burnley player for a while longer yet but I'm a little surprised he's never been linked with a move away. I could see him at Man United or Spurs - similarly to how they had Ighalo and Llorente recently, except Wood has potential to improve unlike those two when they moved to United and Spurs. Think Wood still has another level to go to possibly.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri May 14, 2021 7:44 am

superdimitri wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:03 am
You can't keep claiming there's no hindsight. If you'd have said the same thing before he's recent run in form you would have been laughed at.
Some of us were saying it before this run and even put money on it. Its a shame that some of that money was put on with a scumbag.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri May 14, 2021 8:21 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:15 pm
Keep your knickers on, nobody's turned it into a asterixing competition, whatever that is it's just a debate. Recent record is part of a season's work. As I said, no knee-jerk reactions, just an assessment of the season's work. He still had brilliant movement to create chances early in the season, he still worked hard, he still did plenty of elements of his job really well. Now he's doing all elements of his job really well.

I didn't hear any criticism from Dyche, have you got examples? I heard him give a pep talk about him playing hard, when he was at the top of the game, to ensure he wasn't going to rest on his laurels. I suspect with his brilliant man management, he knows how to get the best out of Chris wood.

My points don't contradict, if you think Chris Wood is a limited footballer, then your expectations are too high. The list of players scoring double figures in the last 4 seasons is

-Chris wood
-Harry kane
-Mohammed Salah
-Heung Min Son
-Alexandre Lacazette
-Jamie Vardy

You can't be in that group if you're limited.

As for Ings, he clearly was a very good player. In my opinion Wood has done better for Burnley than Ings did. He offers more in this Burnley team, than Ings did in the Burnley team he was in. That's just personal choice, I'm not going to argue with anybody who has a different view on that, as it's just opinion.

Hope this doesn't cause any further offence, or meltdown.
Wasting your time Dan, dimitri has a long history of whinging about most things to do with the club and players and doesn't like this pointing out. He will get very defensive and his replies are showing. Those who do nothing but criticise can't cope with being criticised and he is at the top section of that category.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Fri May 14, 2021 8:33 am

superdimitri wrote:
Did you listen to what Dyche said in the interview? If you didn't hear the part that I mentioned either you didn't listen, or you ignore what you don't like to hear. I won't waste my time to mention it again because its clear as day, and only a few seconds in.

Luckily for us Dyche understands our players strengths and weaknesses and doesn't compare players like Wood to the best in the league. If he did this like you do, we would surely have been relegated long ago.

As I said before, I like Wood and I'm glad he's turned things around, but I'm a realist and I'm not stuck in clarets cloud 9 thinking he can do no wrong. Yes he should be winning more flick-ons, yes he should hold up the ball better. Stats only highlight this, for a big man scoring just two headers a season (just as many as Ben Mee) isn't great. Neither is losing the most Aerial Duels.
You can check stats here:
https://www.kickest.it/en/premier-leagu ... /2020-2021

But he's a limited footballer at this level and most of our players are limited. He's not the fastest nor the best in the air. He hasn't got the best movement but what he does have is a good eye for goal, which suits us. We take players who have limitations and place them in a strict and rigid system where they can play well. Wood's no different here.

I still don't get how you can say he's not a limited footballer, yet at the same time state people are expecting too much. - Which one is it?
You've gone comparing Wood to the best in the league, yet lambasted others for knee jerk reactions from expecting too much? :?:
Vardy has hardly scored a goal in recent times, does that make him a poor player

Wood has played consistently well and scored consistently for 4 years. We have not had a striker in the Top flight who has scored regularly over so long sine the sixties

And you knock him for half a bad season when the whole team was underperforming?

3.5/ 4 is damn good, even Kane Vardy etc have droughts

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Fri May 14, 2021 10:13 am

superdimitri wrote:

But he's a limited footballer at this level and most of our players are limited.
That Maradona bloke, he was limited, his right foot was for standing on. Not too good in the air either, he needed the Hand of God to help him.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 668 times
Has Liked: 2056 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Fri May 14, 2021 3:26 pm

Great viewing. I never get tired of watching that superbly worked equaliser against Spurs at Wembley.

The reaction in the away was euphoric

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2109 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri May 14, 2021 3:34 pm

A bit worried someone like West Ham may come sniffing around this summer.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri May 14, 2021 9:54 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 3:34 pm
A bit worried someone like West Ham may come sniffing around this summer.
How much is a bit?

Are you off your food? Is your hair falling out?

We can't help you without proper diagnosis.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sat May 15, 2021 5:58 am

Down_Rover wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:33 am
And you knock him for half a bad season when the whole team was underperforming?
There's no knocking. Just constructive criticism also shared by our manager. He has his flaws and limitations like all our players.
But I'm sure you'd say the same to Dyche after he noted he needs to 'work on his hold up play'?

No, I guessed not.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Thu May 20, 2021 3:19 am

Thought Wood had a good game up top on his own today, just a shame he didn't bury that one chance.
I noticed his hold up play and heading was a lot better. Keep it up Woody!
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5665 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu May 20, 2021 3:30 am

I might be imagining this but since Vydra has come into the team I don't think Wood has been as offside as much
This user liked this post: superdimitri

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Thu May 20, 2021 3:40 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:30 am
I might be imagining this but since Vydra has come into the team I don't think Wood has been as offside as much
Definitely not, someone also mentioned it in the other thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54545&p=1550338&hil ... e#p1550338
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret