Dyche’s Contract

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3158 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: Dyche’s Contract

Post by Chester Perry » Sun May 16, 2021 5:56 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:49 pm
I'd say Crystal Palace are similar sized (fan base) wise, any idea how they've been doing sponsorship wise? I know they're American owned too.
commercial revenues for Crystal Palace the season before last ((they have annouced the broad strokes of last seasons results but not posted them in detail yet) are broadly in line with ours at £16.4m

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sun May 16, 2021 5:58 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:42 pm
Outside the big six the best performers have been pulling in around £40m - we have been doing £16m - £17m which puts in the bottom four usually - I expect Leeds, Everton, Leicester Aston Villa and West Ham to really start pushing that figure of £40m hard with figures of £60m or £70m this year a or next for the first two in particular.

"I am not sure it is as easy to find as he suggests"

Maybe the new 'All singing, all dancing LEDs' will attract more sponsorship? That's surely the aim?

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 16, 2021 6:01 pm

Looks like Villa could be eyeing up Dyche to replace Smith.

Could see him going for that role.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sun May 16, 2021 6:10 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:01 pm
Looks like Villa could be eyeing up Dyche to replace Smith.

Could see him going for that role.
I am not sure that fit's in with the commercial growth trajectory they want for the club on a perception perspective.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 16, 2021 6:11 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:10 pm
I am not sure that fit's in with the commercial growth trajectory they want for the club on a perception perspective.
It’s most likely nothing, but if it were true I could see Dyche going for it

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun May 16, 2021 6:27 pm

Just browsing club partnerships at other places and I've noticed we don't have an official snack partner.

If the club is on the ball and keeping an eye on this forum they should be trying to tie up a deal with Mars (owners of Twix :lol: )
That's what I'd do, comedic value plus plenty of players eat a Mars prior to a match as its good at releasing energy.

I'd also be looking for an official Tea bag partner, they're regularly posting pics up of Westwood drinking tea.

There's alsorts of ways to grow the revenue, lots of smaller deals instead of large ones could be an easier way forwards.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun May 16, 2021 6:30 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:27 pm
Just browsing club partnerships at other places and I've noticed we don't have an official snack partner.

If the club is on the ball and keeping an eye on this forum they should be trying to tie up a deal with Mars (owners of Twix :lol: )
That's what I'd do, comedic value plus plenty of players eat a Mars prior to a match as its good at releasing energy.

I'd also be looking for an official Tea bag partner, they're regularly posting pics up of Westwood drinking tea.

There's alsorts of ways to grow the revenue, lots of smaller deals instead of large ones could be an easier way forwards.
I think most of the players have their own tea bagging partner
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sun May 16, 2021 6:31 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:53 pm
It’s pie in the sky stuff regarding the finances, any sustainable business model cannot afford to have so much debt attached not a club of our size.
That is a debatable point, and there was plenty of it on the takeover thread. I am known to be against debt per se in football, and particularly leveraged debt for buying out any club - but even this is manageable if the club continues to perform well enough on the field within financial constraints to maintain the record of the last five season.

The model would be much more sustainable if the debt was being used to provide means of regular additional incomes for the club going forward such that they exceeded the costs of the debt. The new owners will suggest it is being used for that purpose because of the intellectual capital and commercial expertise they have brought to the club, but that is a difficult asset to sell and still comes with it's own maintenance costs (salaries).

either way I would be happier if the principal of the debt was being paid down along with the interest to serve it

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 16, 2021 7:20 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:40 pm
6-7 players is different to 13 ish.

Plus we don't need to swap around 6 players this summer.
I agree Palace face a bigger rebuild than we do this summer, and we don't need to bring in loads of new faces, but we do need to try and strengthen in key areas, and also hopefully bring the average age of the squad down at the same time, these lads have given their all for the cause for several seasons now in some cases, however it's becoming apparent to me and many others that some of them are struggling to maintain the high standards which they've set, Barnes & Jar Rod are just 2 who come to mind as not contributing much this term, and neither is getting any younger either, so the chances are this is the start of their downward spiral, both would still be more than adequate signings for a Championship club, but physically both are now really struggling to meet the demands of the PL, so if we could move one or both of those on then it might free up space in the squad for new signings, or even allowing somebody like Richardson to develop and maybe play a part at 1st team level, Saturday simply highlighted our startling lack of pace throughout the side, and Leeds ruthlessly exploited that at will.

This current squad with the backing of SD have just had enough nous to keep us out of trouble, but if we don't strengthen in this window I seriously fear for our PL future, thus far I've given the new board the benefit of the doubt, and the acid test will be what happens this summer, we should be looking at raking in £25-30m for Gibson and Tarks alone, and that income must be invested wisely to give us a fighting chance next season with a fresh look to the squad, even if it's only 2 or 3 decent signings who can challenge for a starting berth, we've got plenty of squad fillers, what we need now are guys who'll push for a 1st team place week in week out.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 16, 2021 7:38 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:49 pm
I am not saying that you are including myself here, though it is reasonable to believe that some would think that, given comments on my posts elsewhere - so I will try and make my position clear

Dyche leaving would severely weaken us and our ability to remain in the Premier League, he is so deeply ingrained in the infrastructure of the club that the shock of the change without a markedly sustainable loosening of the constraints would hasten a downward trajectory for us. So his continuing presence is more or less essential if that is what the owners require - and their financial model (for the time being at least) requires it.

I will repeat that what Dyche has achieved on the football side of things given the constraints has been and remains phenomenal

None of that absolves him from some of his behaviours and (at best) questionable postulations on the financial situation at the club in the last couple of seasons. I find it deeply disappointing that given the long term legacy outlook he ushered into the club, he now appears to be undermining that just as moves and road maps were being put into action for that sustainable legacy to be visible away from the football side. All while continuing to grow the football side, particularly the Academy and support facilities at Gawthorpe. I base that on analysis of official information released by the club in recent years not on press speculation,

From the outside (and with no knowledge of the detail other than press speculation and occasional snippets from CT who has contacts within the club) Dyche does seem to have developed a real problem when challenged on alternative targets if his primaries can not be brought to the club as a result of it's financial constraints. His fall out over the contract extension situation for restart last year was bewildering nasty - when it was apparent across the game that players were not willing to risk the signing of a month's extension as the risks to future earnings were so great. Compound that with a then uncertain outlook (which became much more bleak in reality) on future revenues, it was obvious that the model on which the club was run meant it needed to cut costs.

What has remained apparent throughout was the belief that the owners new and old (shared by the vast majority of observers and fans) is that the club need to keep Dyche if it is to remain with a reasonable chance of staying in the Premier League. The fracture has developed on the fiscal approach, this delivered an urgent need for a change in ownership, and with few concrete offers around (it has been reported that some American Private Equity organisations looked and could not see a way to get the required returns on investment - "we could not run it any better" was the refrain) the directors took what they believed was the best offer on the table (whether it was for them or the club is a separate discussion), and we are in a very different financial situation, with a happier looking (for now at least) manager in a substantially more powerful position,

As much as I want my club to do well, I want it to be sustainable and long lasting even more, the new financial position demands Premier League football for the club to remain stable and for now, like many I believe that means retaining Dyche, though I worry as to how he will react to the owners hard line financial approach, if they cannot grow revenues quickly enough to meet the additional costs they have generated and the demands of the manager. The next 2 years in particular are going to be a bit of a financial roller-coaster.
No I wasn't referring to the likes of you CP, as you always back up your arguments with logic, and generally present a case as to why you have the opinions you do, and I wasn't actually aware that you'd expressed doubts about Sean's future, yes he's made mistakes as all managers do from time to time, and sometimes his stubborn streak can get the better of him, no more so than the tail end of last season when he literally went to war with the board in public over the contract extensions, and that unedifying spat did our club no honour at all.

I was generally referring to the usual suspects who react like a spoiled child after every defeat and demand all and sundry should be shown the door, thankfully our club doesn't have such a kneejerk mentality, and they can see the bigger picture, as TBF can most reasonably minded fans who understand our task of competing in this league will always be a tough one no matter who's in charge, and along the way we'll suffer the odd thumping that's just the reality of this league for Burnley and indeed several others who are among the poorer relations financially at this level.

I like you don't know all the in's and out's of Sean's relationship with Alan Pace and the rest of the board, but outwardly at least SD appears more settled now, of course what occurs in the next transfer window will be telling either way as to whether SD and Burnley have come to a natural parting, after all 8 years is a long time in the modern game for a gaffer to be at one club, let alone a club competing at this standard, but hopefully Sean will commit his long term future to the project, because the alternative doesn't bear thinking about for any BFC fan.

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Sun May 16, 2021 8:40 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:43 am
Big Sam? :D
For the first time every Fat Sam has not had a bucket load of cash to through at new players. No coincidence that for the first time ever he's been relegated with a poor squad of players for this league.

Busted flush or just found out?

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3109 times
Has Liked: 3827 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 16, 2021 8:41 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:30 pm
I think most of the players have their own tea bagging partner
Don’t mind admitting I had to look that term up on urban dictionary. No surprise GIADJ didn’t :lol:

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sun May 16, 2021 9:07 pm

bf2k wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:40 pm
For the first time every Fat Sam has not had a bucket load of cash to through at new players. No coincidence that for the first time ever he's been relegated with a poor squad of players for this league.

Busted flush or just found out?
Sam was hampered by Brexit of all things (blocked him from bringing in the players he wanted) and the schedule that affected his available coaching time with the team - it was noticeable how much better they were post the international break for instance. In a normal season he may have just made it, even with Brexit.

What hasn't changed is his demands to spend regularly, Bolton were unable to say no to those demands for fear of losing him, that left them in a situation of no real cost control and a situation that they are only now beginning to turn around. Most clubs since Bolton have found it cheaper to sack him, or employ him for a rescue mission on a short term contract.

Sam is very much a Ronseal solution, but the one of the most expensive around if you let him have his way, In many ways this is what I have admired about Norwich and our previous owners in 2014, they chose to plan for a future rather than risk everything for the present moment, it is the braver decision in so many ways and shows a much more solid strategy and a greater commitment to it's path and end-goal
These 3 users liked this post: bf2k GodIsADeeJay81 Goodclaret

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun May 16, 2021 10:20 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:41 pm
Don’t mind admitting I had to look that term up on urban dictionary. No surprise GIADJ didn’t :lol:
Always good to learn new things from time to time :D
This user liked this post: NewClaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3109 times
Has Liked: 3827 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 16, 2021 10:36 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:20 pm
Always good to learn new things from time to time :D
Very educational this board ;)

Sadly no opportunities to apply my learnings in a practical sense :(

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 17, 2021 5:37 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:21 pm
I thought our current sponsorship with lovebet was supposed to be one of the better in the league?
Probably the lowest in the league even when they were paying

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon May 17, 2021 6:02 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:37 pm
Probably the lowest in the league even when they were paying
Lovebet put us right in the mid table mix, albeit at the bottom end of it - Everton are thought to be on no more than £9m with Cazoo - they get more for the sponsorship of the training ground, but that is USM